Portage Theater

Chicago, IL 60641

robabank1
robabank1 on August 2, 2007 at 11:06 am

P.S. left off my e-mail

robabank1
robabank1 on August 2, 2007 at 10:58 am

am writing an article on old movie houses in or near Jefferson Park, Chicago; if anyone has any photos available inside or out of the building, either as the Times or the Holiday Ballroom please contact me. Also looking for photos of the Jefferson Nickelodeon, Gateway, PORTAGE and Patio. Were there any others nearby that I didn’t mention? I will try the Library and Historical Society files too. Roughly looking between Cicero & Austin, Irving and Bryn Mawr Ave’s.

vampirefan
vampirefan on June 18, 2007 at 11:29 am

I just found this listing for The Portage and have read all the comments. Looks like things have come a long way! The theater looks fantastic and we love working with Dennis. The theater now has a movie screen that can can easily be raised to quickly make the stage fully available. (The old screen was static and took about 4 hours to put up or to dismantle.) They have some great film festivals!

I’m one of the organizers of the Can’t Stop the Serenity charity screenings here in Chicago and we were lucky to get the theater in 2006 when it had just opened. This year, we are having our charity screening there again! Can’t Stop the Serenity – Chicago Friday, June 22, 2007 @ 7:30 PM.

ctd
ctd on April 16, 2007 at 4:26 am

I’m happy to hear the Portage is still standing and in use. I saw many movies there, and my most vivid memory of the Portage was from the premiere of “Firefox” in ‘82. The crowd was restless, having been kept outside for a long while past showtime. After finally getting in and sitting down, there were several false starts and projector problems that were resolved just before the patrons became an irate mob.

GrandMogul
GrandMogul on March 29, 2007 at 1:54 pm

NEWS ITEM:
Chicago Daily News, Tuesday, January 6, 1942, p. 11, c. 4:

PORTAGE, DRAKE, ADMIRAL JOIN B. AND K. CHAIN

Three new theaters have joined the Balaban & Katz chain. All are locatd on the Northwest Side and have been under the B. & K. banner since the first of the year. They are the Portage at 4050 Milwaukee avenue, the Admiral at 3940 Lawrence avenue, and the Drake at 3548 Montrose avenue. All three are now undergoing minor operational transitions and will offer the latest cinema advantages to neighborhood audiences.

GFeret
GFeret on February 21, 2007 at 6:45 am

A few weekends ago PORTAGE ran, and I saw, a 2-part Italian made biopic “KAROL: THE POPE, THE MAN”. An excellent film, by the way (starring one Peter Adamczyk with the right smile, flair, sensitivity). And I can say unquestionably here’s a super-rare instance where a favorite big-city neighborhood theatre, formerly multiplexed, has been restored in every important way to its' original theatrical condition (though with modern sound of course). Done without well-publicized fanfare, too. I intend to support it. Maybe the LaSalle Bank 16mm screening room, now a ½ blk away, would consider an arrangement to use these digs. It could be done by smart people.

mp775
mp775 on February 10, 2007 at 1:37 pm

The Portage Theater is on MySpace! Stop by www.myspace.com/portagetheater and send a friend request…

GrandMogul
GrandMogul on February 8, 2007 at 8:36 am

According to a news item in the Chicago Sun, Wednesday, January 7, 1942, B&K purchased the Portage, Admiral and Drake theatres.

And thanks G. Feret for the info on Miss Rivers—-adds to the theatre’s already interesting history …

GFeret
GFeret on January 3, 2007 at 11:13 am

PORTAGE theatre trivia: JOAN RIVERS introduced her (directed) “RABBIT TEST' there in-person in 1978. Just thought you’d like to know.

mp775
mp775 on December 5, 2006 at 9:25 am

The Portage is having its first annual Christmas Spectacular on Friday, December 15, with Santa, the Revolutionary Swing Orchestra, a Christmas sing-along with the great Jay Warren at the organ, and a showing of White Christmas. See http://www.portagetheater.org/Dec15.pdf for details.

Broan
Broan on December 3, 2006 at 5:19 pm

Here are photos of this theater.

portageparkmom
portageparkmom on December 2, 2006 at 8:45 am

Give Dennis a call at the theater and he will give you my info. Looking forward to speaking with you

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on December 2, 2006 at 8:42 am

I’ve never been too keen on putting my email address out there. I would also rather not set up a date and time through this message board. That being said, I’d be happy to talk with you if you let me know how you can be reached.

portageparkmom
portageparkmom on November 30, 2006 at 5:56 pm

The Portage not only is thriving it Rocks. That event was brought to you by the same neighborhood people. We were thrilled with the response and are planning a second for next year.
PS. I really want to speak with you we have to set up a time to have a private chat – let me know when and where

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 30, 2006 at 5:40 pm

You know, as it happens I had to drive by the Portage while that Svengoolie thing was going on. Traffic was actually jammed up on Milwaukee Avenue in front of the Portage!

portageparkmom
portageparkmom on November 30, 2006 at 5:38 pm

Life’s too short…there are alot of things we were all led to believe. Unfortunately some believed longer than others and some got it a little sooner than others. The great news is that as a result of our blood, sweat, tears and perseverance our beloved Portage Theater is now open and bringing Chicagoans wonderful events such as the one I posted above. It has not been subdivided into pieces or turned into condo’s and it is thriving. Dennis is doing an awesome job his staff is fabulous to work with and he is bringing a new face and new life to our community. We are thrilled to have him here.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 30, 2006 at 5:33 pm

See that? Exactly what I am talking about. Bravo Dennis. Bravo!

portageparkmom
portageparkmom on November 30, 2006 at 5:26 pm

Check this out….The Portage Theater’s First Annual Christmas Spectacular. Friday December 15th 7pm. Join Santa and his Portage Theater Elves as he lights the official Portage Christmas Tree. Followed by music by the fabulous 18 piece Revolutionary Swing Orchestra, a Christmas carol sing along and a showing of White Christmas. Check the Portage Theater web site for more details.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 30, 2006 at 5:05 pm

I heard that a process server showed up at the Portage a few weeks ago looking for someone named Paul. But the last name wasn’t Fortini.

It’s good to see that dealing with the City of Chicago and neighborhood leaders is not as impossible of a task as some might have led us to believe.

Broan
Broan on November 17, 2006 at 9:19 am

Here’s a great recent shot of the Portage. In fact, it’s so recent, it says it was taken tomorrow.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on November 9, 2006 at 5:13 am

LittleBird,

It does seem like the evening was a success. Our only complaint was that the seats needed either refurbishing or replacing. But that was a minor complaint and we think that will occur in time. One thing at a time, right?

I don’t know if it is too late for suggestions, but here are some:

1) Concerts, especially fundraisers, which could feature Chicago/Illinois talent such as Billy Corgan, Wilco, Buddy Guy, Son Volt, Robbie Fulks, BoDeans (okay, they’re Milwaukee, but they are still popular in Chicago).

2) Midnight movies such as DEATH RACE 2000, FASTER PUSSYCAT KILL KILL, STOP MAKING SENSE, THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT, WINGS OVER THE WORLD, SONG REMAINS THE SAME, DUEL, etc.

3) Film festivals, such as by actor/actress, director.

4) Film festivals of movies that were “just beneath the radar”.

5) A film festival of the Christopher Guest/Harry Shearer/Micheal McKeon “Mockumentaries”—Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Mighty Wind, Best in Show".

portageparkmom
portageparkmom on November 2, 2006 at 12:02 pm

Paul, I’m glad you came out to the Portage on Friday Night – This event was organized by a group of residents (myself included) and the Six Corners Association. We really had alot of fun planning the event and hope to plan several similar events in the future including but not limited to the 2nd Annual Monster Film Festival (we are thinking of going 3D for this one)Oct 26 – Oct 31, 2007. We were thrilled to see a line of people down the block and around the corner it proves yet again that people are interested in the Portage Theater. Some ideas for future shows are a Godzilla Fest, Star Trek Fest, Cartoon Saturday and more. Please keep checking the Portage website for updates or go to www.sixcornerschicago.com for more info. Thanks again for attending the event.
If you have any other ideas please let me know we are meeting to discuss future events next week I would love to hear them.

Broan
Broan on October 30, 2006 at 8:18 pm

Today’s was a trip to the Harold Washington library, to use the Art Institute’s Avery Index. I was looking to see if there was anything on the Adelphi, Pickwick, and Esquire, (I copied beautiful photos of all three,) and while I was waiting for more journals to be pulled I thought i’d look up the renovation architect’s name in the Tribune archives. So that’s how. I had the name before, for the Adelphi, but I guess it never occurred to me to look.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 30, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Where do you find this stuff B?!?!

Broan
Broan on October 30, 2006 at 7:48 pm

The Portage’s 1940 modernization was by Mark D. Kalischer, who also remodeled the Adelphi and Harper (Hyde Park)