Fonda Theatre

6126 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on September 22, 2004 at 2:28 pm

The address of this cinema is 6126 Hollywood Boulevard.

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on September 13, 2004 at 6:04 pm

Odd note. I was watching “My Favorite Year” (1982) on AMC today and in one scene, supposedly on Broadway in New York, they pass a movie theater called the “Music Box.” The film was primarily shot in New York, but I cannot find any reference to a Music Box Theater in New York on this site.

It’s possible that this was a set on the backlot of a Hollywood studio. Any one know?

Thanks.

NeilShattuc
NeilShattuc on April 3, 2004 at 1:09 pm

I am trying to remember when the theater open up. I know it was the Guild in 1947 as I saw film Ivy there with Joan Fontain

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on February 4, 2004 at 6:01 pm

I think this concert venue would make a great movie theater! Sorry, but after 250 “Michael” posts I simply couldn’t resist!

cnichols
cnichols on February 3, 2004 at 3:02 pm

They use both names
HENRY FONDA
and
MUSIC BOX
The ads say something like “The Music Box at the Henry Fonda” or something like that.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on November 6, 2003 at 4:32 pm

I saw Cat Ballou in the Pix theatre in 1965. I remember the Pix for its spectacular Neon Marquee. I wish the new owners will restore neon to the marquee of this theatre. A tacky plastic vertical marquee was put up for one of our greatest actors Henry Fonda who deserved better. Brucec

William
William on January 14, 2003 at 11:20 am

The vertical sign still says The Henry Fonda Theatre. But they are working on restoring the theatre’s auditorium. I have had a few calls about photos to the original auditorium from the new operators. The new name is The Music Box, which is the original name.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on January 13, 2003 at 7:57 pm

Drove past recently and the theater is no longer called the Henry Fonda. It has become a rock music venue.

CinemAFuchs
CinemAFuchs on September 15, 2002 at 2:40 pm

If you’ve noticed work being done on the facade of the Henry Fonda Theatre lately, it’s not for the premiere of a new production but for the introduction of a new special event space. Restaurant owner and event planner, Thad Smith (Blue Palm) has leased the Henry Fonda and is currently in the midst of Phase I of a multi-million dollar renovation of the historic 1927 building.

The theatre, which has sat empty since it played host to “Tony & Tina’s Wedding” last year, has long been in need of a makeover. When Smith went through it, he found the once elegant rooftop garden had been overrun by pigeons, the theatre walls were peeling and mirrors were cracked. He and his team are now working carefully to return the theatre to its former grandeur.

Along the way, Smith has made some amazing finds. While redoing the theatre’s interior, Smith noticed part of the wall seemed hollow. He tore it out, revealing a long-hidden VIP box where wealthy patrons would be seated. He also discovered original wood floors in the veranda of the rooftop garden club and old lighting fixtures stored away that will be reinstalled.

While several preservation groups have concerns that the theatre will no longer function as a live performance space (the seats are being removed) and that restoration will not be accurate, Smith assures the community that he is doing what he can to breathe new life into a great old building that he cares deeply about. All changes are cosmetic, he says, and he is working from historical materials to ensure authenticity. Look for the new Henry Fonda to open in the fall.

(Information courtesy of the Hollywood Entertainment District BidBiz Newsletter.
www.hollywoodbid.org)

Bill H
Bill H on August 7, 2002 at 8:46 pm

This Spanish Colonial style theater opened on October 18, 1926. Architects were Morgan, Walls, & Clements.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on March 7, 2002 at 8:33 am

As the Pix, this theater held numerous “sneak previews” back when that meant you did NOT know what was going to be shown before it hit the screen. This was the first theater you would encounter after exiting the 101 Freeway onto Hollywood Blvd.