Astor Theatre

New York, NY 10036

jflundy
jflundy on June 27, 2009 at 2:02 pm

1945 photo W.45 Street Box Office Line:

robboehm
robboehm on June 7, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Sylistically the marquee looks like the one at the Hard Rock.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 7, 2009 at 4:04 pm

The 1936 photo posted on 8/2/08 has resurfaced:

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 6, 2009 at 7:10 am

JF Lundy’s link also gives an ultra-rare view of the Gaiety during its brief life as Laffmovie (a branch of the Laffmovie on W. 42nd Street). The Gaiety/Laffmovie would soon be re-named Victoria.

robboehm
robboehm on June 5, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Love ken’s 1956 photo since it shows the “capitol” name in a distance, which is the way I always remember it, in the distance. Was only inside it once.

jflundy
jflundy on June 5, 2009 at 5:00 pm

March 1943 “Human Comedy” at the Astor, “Saludos Amigos” at the Globe:http: //www.shorpy.com/node/6231?size=_original

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 16, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Here is a 1956 photo. I’ve been having trouble scrolling through some of these larger entries, so if it’s already here somewhere I apologize.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 7, 2009 at 8:37 am

Ed, in 1939, that other theatre was known as the Gaiety and presenting “girlie” shows (use of the word “burlesque” had been outlawed in NYC). “Prince” is probably the first six letters of the billing for a performer known as Princess Something or Other…It’s a pity that the CT “alert” system has been suspended. I only stumbled on your post today, or I would have commented earlier.

edblank
edblank on March 31, 2009 at 11:51 am

Great shot. Can’t quite see the Victoria marquee. Looks as if “Prince (something)” is playing.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 4, 2009 at 1:51 pm

In 1944, Esther Williams made a real splash in Times Square when her first starring movie, “Bathing Beauty,” played its NYC premiere engagement at the Astor Theatre:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 9, 2009 at 11:23 am

This is from the Ellensburg Daily Record on July 27, 1948:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 9, 2009 at 11:21 am

From the NYT, 7/8/48:

‘BABE RUTH’ PREMIERE SET; Film Story of Famed Bambino Opens at Astor July 26

“The Babe Ruth Story” will have its world premiere at the Astor Theatre on Monday, July 26, with all proceeds from the initial showing going to the Babe Ruth Foundation, recently formed to aid under-privileged children throughout the country.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 9, 2009 at 11:17 am

As luck would have it, the Astor Theatre was in the midst of the New York premiere engagement of “The Babe Ruth Story” when the “Sultan of Swat” died in August, 1948. Out of respect, on the day of Ruth’s funeral, the Astor stayed closed until the services were over.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 27, 2008 at 11:36 am

Here is a 1951 photo from Life Magazine:

roybarry
roybarry on November 22, 2008 at 10:25 am

Roger,

My prayers are also with you! We worked together at the Astor Theater when Broadway was Broadway. It had it’s Damon Runyonesque broadly stated with colorful broad strokes of joy. I am glad we had the oppotunity. God Bless!

Roy

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on November 21, 2008 at 12:09 pm

People that hide behind an alias are a bit odd. What are they afraid of in using their real name?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 21, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Lost Memory: are YOU “misterboo”? I’ve never seen that name anywhere on these pages except in your posts.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on November 21, 2008 at 11:35 am

Will you please stop these “misterboo” spam postings? They’re really annoying!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 21, 2008 at 11:18 am

Here is another Life photo, this time from 1946:

br91975
br91975 on November 21, 2008 at 8:19 am

I’m sending good thoughts your way as well, Roger. Take care and all the best…

RobertR
RobertR on November 21, 2008 at 6:41 am

Roger
My prayers are with you.

dodgerg
dodgerg on November 21, 2008 at 6:36 am

To all — I just got diagnosed with acute leukemia, so I won’t be around too much longer. But I didn’t want to just disappear without thanking you all for all of the hard work you have put into this wonderful site. As some of you know I actually worked at the Astor in 1955, so these pics and your memories are invaluable to me. Please know that your diligent research is appreciated more than I can say.
Respectfully,
Roger W. Gardner (Dodger)