Roxy Theatre

153 W. 50th Street,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 76 - 100 of 1,404 comments

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 3, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Hello- thanks for the info. there were many large grand old movie theaters that continued to operate as single screen first run movie theater for several years after the Roxy was torn down. the Criterion, Loew’s State, Loew’s Capitol, the Rivoli, the Warner the Demille and the Paramount. i guess they were able to survive as single screen movie theaters long after the Roxy was torn down because they were manageably large whereas the Roxy which had like twice the seating capacity of the Paramount was just to frigging big for its own good.

also what are your thoughts on the fact that till the day they closed down both the Loew’s Capitol and the Paramount were still playing first run A level movies. respectively PLANET OF THE APES and 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY for the Capitol and THUNDERBALL for the Paramount. a friend of my parents said that in its last 2 years or so the Roxy at times played B or even C movies. now this was long before mutliplexes when studios opened a film in 2000 to 3000 theaters on the same day. so if the Capitol and the Paramount were able to book first run A level films till the day they closed why wasn’t the Roxy?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

The Roxy was demolished in the autumn of 1960. The famous Life Magazine photo of Gloria Swanson standing in the ruins of the rotunda dates from October 24, 1960.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 3, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I don’t think the Roxy was any less viable financially than the Paramount, Capitol or other large ornate movie palaces. It remained a popular theater. All of them suffered from the precipitous decline in movie attendance in the post WWII era that all film theaters did nationwide. The Roxy may have been the first to go, but the writing was on the wall for all of them, at least in terms of continuing on as they had done. If the Roxy had survived another 10 years, no doubt it would have been subdivided and whatnot as all of the other Times Square movie palaces eventually were before they disappeared altogether.

The Roxy closed in March 1960, but its fate was probably sealed much earlier when it was purchased by Rockefeller Center in 1956. They plan well into the future and I imagine their interest in owning the Roxy wasn’t for its future as a film showcase. The Roxy not only had valuable air rights that were coveted by Rockefeller Ctr, but it was also located on very valuable real estate that was adjacent to the site of the new construction that they were developing on the west side of 6th Ave.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Hello-

i was able to attend many of the great old movie houses in the Times Square area when they were still more or less in their original condition and they before were twined or torn down. the Roxy wasn’t one of them. to which i have what i hope is a simple question. the decision to tear down the Roxy was made i believe in June of 1960. so as well loved as the theater was and had ornate as it was by June 1960 wasn’t a movie theater as HUGE as the Roxy just plain economically unviable?

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 1, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Here’s the Roxy’s original marquee featured in a trade paper ad for the Technicolor process: archive

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on May 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

Fifty-nine years ago today, 20th-Fox’s B&W epic, “Titanic,” opened its NYC premiere engament at the Roxy Theatre, giving Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck larger-sized billing than co-stars Robert Wagner, Audrey Dalton and Thelma Ritter. Although it might have seemed in dubious taste to support “Titanic” with an ice-skating revue on stage, the Roxy did with “Gay Paree,” which featured four scenes entitled “April in Paris,” “L'Apache,” “Parlez-Moi D'Amour,” and “Oui, Oui, Marie.” To attract Memorial Day hoiiday crowds, children’s tickets were 50 cents at all times.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

Here’s a January 1938 photo of a waiting line for the Sonja Henie musical, “Happy Landing,” and stage show. The Roxy was reported to be attracting some of the turnaway crowds from “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” at Radio City Music Hall: lunaimaging

Amber J. Michaud
Amber J. Michaud on May 12, 2012 at 6:50 am

It’s sad how urban renewal and the city can destroy the past.

KimW
KimW on May 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

My grandfather Frank White played the lead organ in the early years.

GDellaFa
GDellaFa on April 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Sorry I missed the Roxy Theatre, being born in 1961. Guess there is absolutely no chance it could ever be rebuilt? Let’s see: $150 million for the building alone (given inflation since 1927), plus the cost of demolition of the crappy office building that replaced it, plus the cost of the land and existing crappy building. I suppose not. “You don’t appreciate what you’ve got till its gone…” Great Roxy Theatre, you are dearly missed. Can we at least have a plaque on TGI Fridays? Perhaps on 50th Street in an inconspicuous place? Just a thought.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 15, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I must disagree. “Closed” is outlined in red. For the Roxy, “Demolished” should be red, and “Closed” colorless. It’s the red that immediately grabs the viewer’s attention. The red “Closed” creates an impression that the theatre is still standing. A red “Demolished” would leave no doubt.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on April 15, 2012 at 11:18 am

Every theater’s status is either “Open” or “Closed” (green for open, red for closed). Then next to that is a description: “1 screen”, etc. So the Roxy’s status is correct. It says “Closed, Demolished”.

I agree that having three status categories: Closed, Open, or Demolished would be more helpful and accurate. But that’s not how the database is set up.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

Like so many other listings at CT, the STATUS needs to be changed from “Closed” to “Demolished.” Isn’t there someone at the website responsible for making such important corrections?

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on April 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm

moviebear1 Just figured out how to post a photo of my model! I have more, but this website tells me they’re too big to post! I’ll keep trying (I’m computer-challenged … wish me luck) Thanks for your request! Bill

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 24, 2012 at 6:34 am

You might have mentioned that the book is written by Ross Melnick, one of the powers behind the throne at Cinema Treasures: amazon

Joseph
Joseph on March 24, 2012 at 6:22 am

A new book about SL “Roxy” Rothafel is about to be published:

Members of the Rothafel family were interviewed by the Author

moviebear1
moviebear1 on March 21, 2012 at 9:53 am

being on the west coast I’d love to se some pictures of your model. Any chance you would be willing to share some?

Simon L. Saltzman
Simon L. Saltzman on March 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

AlAlvarez, I beg to differ. The war and post-war years 1941 to 1950 were very successful years for the Roxy, with the grosses and attendance often on a par, sometimes surpassing, the Music Hall. A major factor in the disparity of grosses is that the Roxy maintained a children’s price, ranging over those years from.25 to .50 while there was only one price for all at the Hall. When it comes to business, the Paramount out-did all the main-stem houses and it had half the seating capacity. The Roxy had a great run with big name performers and a resident company for more than a decade.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on March 12, 2012 at 8:55 am

A February 21, 1960 NY Times article on the Roxy closing makes this interesting observation:

“The poor old Roxy was never too successful, sandwiched as it is between the Scylla of the older capitol and the Charybdis of the newer Music Hall. Its various programs of pictures with stage shows (and without stage shows) have had to compete with programs that have usually been a little better at one or the other of those near-by theatres.”

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on March 12, 2012 at 1:52 am

Thanks, Ed, for your nice compliments about my Roxy model! I have not been back to look at it for years, but have been told that it is no longer enclosed in glass. If you do visit again, please give me an update! Meanwhile, I have to get back to work on Model Number Five!

Tinseltoes: Sorry, I just realized that I’d already commented, a year ago, regarding our mutual interest. Hoping to share more with you!

Bill

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm

BillSavoy! What a pleasure to learn that you are the artist responsible for that remarkable scale model of the Roxy at the Museum of the Moving Image! And even more pleasurable to be able to directly express my thanks and admiration to you for providing such a lovingly detailed representation of this spectacular old movie palace! I must have spent a good twenty minutes pouring over every inch of your model when I last visited the museum about 7 or 8 years ago. In fact, I sang its praises in a post on this page (I dare you to find it among the more than 1300 comments already posted here) from back in March of 2005. My one criticism – and I hope this has since been corrected – is that the lighting around the display case produced annoying and obscuring glares on the glass. One has to lean in close to block these out and truly enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Thank you so much for that work. I am now inspired to take another trip into Astoria to check it out again!

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on March 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Hooray for the ROXY! Happy 85th anniversary! Never to be forgotten!

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on March 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Tinseltoes:

My name is Bill Savoy and I am fascinated with (and a little bit jealous of) your knowledge of the Roxy (until now, I thought I was the only one so obsessed). I was a friend of the late Ben Hall’s: he befriended me at age 16 and shared his vast collection of Roxy memorabilia with me. During the last 46 years I have added to this archives (a vast collection of programs from opening to closing, photos from excavation to demolition, over 100 photos of staff and performers, etc., etc., and last, but not least, the original blueprints from 1925 (later to be slightly revised … which, once-and-for-all clear-up the seating capacity mystery!). I have built four scale models of the place (including one commisioned by The Museum Of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York, where it is currently on display) and am now starting my fifth … (sooner or later, I’ll get it right!). I worked at Radio City Music Hall from 1969 until 1983, where I met many surviving Roxy alumni (Leonidoff, Markert, Kilduff, Parmentier, etc., etc., ) and had full access to the building and archives!

I live and work (as a scenic artist) in New York City and would love to communicate with you further on our shared obsession. If you are also interested please contact me at .

I have to sign off now because I see, by the program, that the prologue “DESTINY” is starting … to be followed by THE LOVE OF SUNYA!

Happy Roxy day! Hope to hear from you! Bill Savoy

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 11, 2012 at 7:33 am

Tonight (March 11th) will mark the 85th anniversary of the grand opening of the Roxy Theatre. Let us all observe a moment of silence for what is arguably the greatest and most influential of all movie palaces. Sadly, the Roxy operated for only 33 years, and has been missing from the New York scene for 52 (more than half a century). Long gone, but like its namesake founder, never to be forgotten!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Seventy-five years ago today, 20th-Fox’s B&W romantic comedy “Love Is News,” with rising star Tyrone Power billed before Loretta Young and Don Ameche, opened its NYC premiere engagement at the Roxy Theatre. On stage, Mr. & Mrs. Jesse Crawford, the so-called “Poets of the Organ,” topped the variety revue, which also included the Radio Ramblers, Lucille Page, and the resident Gae Foster Girls with the Roxy Orchestra (conducted by Eddie Paul). With “Show Value of the Nation” as its motto, the Roxy was charging an adult admission of 25 cents at all times for all seats, and 15 cents for children.