AMC Loews Norridge 10

4520 N. Harlem Avenue,
Norridge, IL 60706

Dimeri
Dimeri on February 23, 2007 at 11:42 pm

I go to the Hub/Riverview/Axle reunions at the Orbit in October, they’ve been doing it for over 12 years. Rollerskating is alive and well, check out Orbit’s website.

We love the Catlow Theatre in Barrington. Does the York theatre still have the organ that comes up out of the floor?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 14, 2007 at 12:14 am

I have heard that it is not the greatest sound-wise, although I have never been there myself. If that is true it doesn’t seem to keep the customers away.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on January 27, 2007 at 1:24 am

Typo: Should be “grade-school”, not “grade-schoo”!

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on January 27, 2007 at 1:22 am

I hope that this place does NOT close for another big box store. There are too many of them there. Norridge and Harwood Heights already have Target, Best Buy, etc.

It is hard to believe, but this place has lasted almost forty years—that’s an eternity for movie theatres these days. It has outlived its contemporaries like the Golf Mill, the Old Orchard, the Lawrencewood (the latter two were also M&Rs). It was built some twenty years before the Bricktown (which SHOULD have given it stiff competition) and has remained open seven years after that place closed.

I lived for many years near Austin & Montrose, until 1990, and almost always saw first-run films here. Even my former grade-schoo, St. Robert Bellarmine, would rent the place out for special showings (in the era before VCRs). I haven’t been here in many years, however the Norridge is a survivor!

What’s the place like these days?

dankapel
dankapel on January 25, 2007 at 12:53 pm

Has anyone heard the rumor that this theatre is being closed to make room for a Big Box store?

I have noticed for the last few months the Marquee on Harlem Avenue hasn’t been listing the movies but the theatre has remained open.

brebel
brebel on January 6, 2007 at 3:55 pm

There is a handfull in the suburbs. There might be some in Chicago left on the south side.

The Coachlite in Roselle (western suburbs) is where the Riverview Roller Rink and Axle (Hub) reunions are held in October

Broan
Broan on January 4, 2007 at 6:16 pm

There’s the Orbit in Palatine

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 4, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Are there any roller rinks left in Chicagoland? I thought they were pretty much a thing of the past.

brebel
brebel on January 4, 2007 at 1:47 pm

I remember the Theater reopening and seeing Bad News Bears. If it wasn’t the first movie after the reopening it was close to it. 1978 sounds right.

keep the roller rink discussion going

Broan
Broan on December 26, 2006 at 5:52 pm

Here are pictures of this theater

shill66
shill66 on June 29, 2006 at 2:25 pm

Didn’t mean to mislead, yes, dad was only assistant manager of Niles before going to Countryside as manager. My email is shill (at) harpercollege.edu – drop me a line, I couldn’t pull up an email address for you.

susiestahler
susiestahler on June 29, 2006 at 2:07 pm

(More apologies for the roller rink discussion…)

Hi Steven – Here’s the scoop. The managers of the Niles were Bill Simpson and Elaine Calabrese. When I called Elaine about your comments, she totally remembered you and Warren. Warren was the manager of Countryside. (I too remember that rink shutting down in the late 70s. For whatever reason, we took those mushroom seats apart.)

My parents hope you are doing well and are curious to know how your father is doing. Drop me an email if you can.

shill66
shill66 on June 29, 2006 at 1:20 pm

(Apologies for the roller rink discussion…)

Well, here’s where I’m coming from on the Niles Axle closing. My dad (Warren) was manager and my mom was cashier there. I was there when the building was sold and they shut down – I remember them taking the globe lights and disco ball down – and our family moved to Florida from 1978 to 1982. If it really did close in August 1984, something is seriously wrong with time, and I shouldn’t have stepped on that butterfly. :)

susiestahler
susiestahler on June 26, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Paul is correct with regard to M&R history. However, the Niles Axle Roller Rink closed on August 8, 1984, not 1978 (as Steven Hill mentioned). My family members managed many of the M&R chains, including the Twin Drive-In, Evanston Theater, Niles Theater, etc.

Great memories!

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on May 24, 2006 at 11:05 am

The nearest theatres are the Melrose Park and the Pickwick. Even the new Golf Mill theatres won’t harm this place’s attendence.

Broan
Broan on May 11, 2006 at 2:38 am

Nah, it’s on here as the Lansing 8. I’ll look it up and see if I can refine any further though.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 11, 2006 at 2:16 am

Brian Wolf: here’s a research project for you, should you choose to accept it. I remember seeing ads for a theatre called River Run back in the 80’s. It would have been GCC or M&R. I got the impression that it was similar to Norridge, or the original Old Orchard or Randhurst Cinemas. No idea what town it would’ve been in. Don’t see a listing on this site. Could be remembering wrong, but am 99% sure that I am not.

jimpiscitelli
jimpiscitelli on April 29, 2006 at 12:49 am

Cinemark Melrose Park is a distant away from the Norridge. Even though the Cinemark is the closet theater to my house I also go to the Norridge to see a movie that is not playing at the Cinemark.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on April 22, 2006 at 1:09 am

Life’s Too Short:

The Old Orchard and the Norridge were both originally in the M&R chain. I grew up around here and frequented this place. It is good to see that it is doing well, still. But as you say, there’s no real competition within MILES of this place.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 22, 2006 at 12:06 am

Cinemark in Melrose Park is far enough away that I don’t think there’s a hell of a lot of mutual draw. Someone who lives at Harlem & I-90 is not likely to drive all the way down Harlem and out North Ave. to get to the Cinemark when the film offerings are similar at both theatres.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on April 21, 2006 at 11:33 pm

I’ve never been inside here, but my brother says it’s huge. I think it has something like 4400 seats in total. Anyway, is this theater doing well? Because Cinemark at Melrose Park is not far away.

Broan
Broan on April 21, 2006 at 11:49 am

I took a ride by it tonight. It looks to me like they had the twin, added a third screen the same size as the first one, split the original twin 3 ways each, and added more screens in the annex part. In other words the original twin is auditoriums 5-10 and the 1-4 is annex. The roller rink is some kind of kiddie amusement place now. I’m sort of surprised this theater is still around – and under loews/amc – since it’s not really in a shopping center, although there is a very busy shopping area surrounding it. Presumably it was also built to sap the audience from the old Harlem Outdoor.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 16, 2006 at 8:15 pm

I passed this place on the way home last night. Given that I had just been discussing it, decided to drive off of Harlem Ave. and take a look. It seems pretty cool. Reminds me a lot of the original Old Orchard, which is cool because I saw many great films there. There was a big crowd coming out of the place. This was something like 11:45 at night.

Broan
Broan on April 15, 2006 at 6:41 pm

They had the Howard Bowl at Clark and Howard for years, too. I thought I read somewhere they were getting back into movies again.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 15, 2006 at 5:15 pm

It seems that M&R got into all kinds of side-business. They had a car wash next to the Old Orchard Theatre. Now I know they had roller rinks. What other business lines did they get into?

I believe the M&R corporate entity still exists. But they don’t get into entertainment anymore. I think it’s basically a real estate speculation outfit now. I actually made a business call to the outfit one day years ago, and the guy who picked up the phone got into the story with me.