Alpine Cinema

6817 5th Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11220

harrynicc
harrynicc on September 5, 2007 at 3:45 pm

check it out, the alpine has a new a/c system, brand new seats and a fresh painted floor! also ticket prices are cheaper and they even sell ice cream! sooner or later there are going to be even more changes to make this theater even better

theatrefan
theatrefan on September 5, 2007 at 11:49 am

The movie theatre Tony Manero (John Travolta) walks under in the opening scene of Saturday Night Fever was the Benson Twin, which was next to the Chase Manhattan Bank off of 20th Avenue and 86th Street, not the Loew’s Oriental, but you also can see the Loew’s Oriental in the very start of the film, when the B train is zooming by, it’s way off in the distance of that shot.

Mariec53
Mariec53 on August 25, 2007 at 1:29 am

The movie theatre in SNF is the Loews Oriental under the el on 86th street.

efriedmann
efriedmann on July 19, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Is this the theater that can be seen behind John Travolta as he struts his stuff in the opening scene of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, with the movie title, NETWORK, on the marquee?

And if not, which theater is it?

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on July 7, 2007 at 8:51 pm

When is this place closing?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 22, 2006 at 6:53 am

Nice photos – I count 16 of them so perhaps a few were added recently. I like the use of fish eye and the shot out through the front doors to the street. I wonder if this person has shots of the auditoriums that will be added at some point…

RobertR
RobertR on June 18, 2006 at 10:48 am

He owns the Cinemart and owned the 59th Street East but I’m not sure if he has that one anymore.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 18, 2006 at 4:26 am

Some of the articles specifially mention that his other screens show mainstream fare, not art, yet Cinema Village shows exclusively art product.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 17, 2006 at 10:06 pm

AMC has left the building.

Also, I can’t tell exactly what other theaters Nicolaou owns in Manhattan…is it one theater or is it the City Cinemas chain?

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on June 8, 2006 at 5:26 pm

Nick Nicolaou is a very determined individual! It might be a good idea if he would be willing to add the Ridgewood Theater to his collection, although ALthefilmguy on the Ridgewood thread might already be working on that project. Too bad Nick didn’t add the Trylon Theater to his collection a few years back!

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on June 8, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Thank you for sharing this NY1 news story. What a great article!

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on May 27, 2006 at 6:47 pm

Nicolos Nicolaou who owns the Cinemart Theater in Forest Hills & CC Cinemas on the Upper East Side, sealed the deal on the Alpine Theater. It will show films and also operate as a cultural center. It’s superb that he made a committment to reuse this 1921 theater, sparing it from the all too familiar drugstore. Looking forward to this victory! These links may be of interest:

www.courierlife.net/site/news.cfm?newsid=16583707&BRD=2384&PAG=461&dept_id=560112&rfi=6

www.brooklynpapers.com/html/issues/_vol29/29_18/29_18nets6.html

NY Sun: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/news/news.cfm?doc_id=5859

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 5, 2006 at 5:47 am

Re the Alpine… It seems that this theater will NOT be closing after all.A theater developer from Queensbought the property for an undisclosed ammount. He plans to refurbish it and have community theater and other events in one of the auditoriums.Bay Ridge congressman Marty Golden is part of the plan and Massey- Knakal real estate has confirmed the deal according to a NY Daily News article dated May 3. Keep you posted. While far from being a great theater, maybe now in the near future it may become a better theater. Prehaps I will go to it again and give it a better review, providing there is something worth seeing!

ERD
ERD on May 3, 2006 at 7:52 am

Nice to know there is someone innovative enough in Brooklyn to take a chance.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on May 3, 2006 at 6:19 am

It takes an Upstate newspaper to report the news! And what great news. And what an upbeat turn in the history of the Alpine, one of the very few Loew’s theaters built without a stage for live shows. Every showplace deserves a stage, and now the Alpine will have one. May Bay Ridgites break down the doors forever after. Evcharisto, Nico Nicolaos!

WOLVERINE25TH
WOLVERINE25TH on May 3, 2006 at 4:02 am

Well, folks, the sale is finalized. The Alpine is sold. Dunno what’s gonna happen yet, but rumors are they’re talking about making it a 2-screen job.

WOLVERINE25TH
WOLVERINE25TH on March 24, 2006 at 6:05 am

I hope it doesn’t close this summer! All the movies I wanna see are this summer, and I usually go to matinees to save some money. When it closes, and if not another theater, I’m gonna blow those savings on train fare to Court Street. And I hope they aren’t gonna try to put condos there. Won’t be long before all of Brooklyn is one big condo.

ERD
ERD on March 6, 2006 at 11:29 am

Correction on my March 6 post- spelling typo on the word improvement.
Also, totally agree with RobertR.

RobertR
RobertR on March 6, 2006 at 10:57 am

The last few years have been the blackest for the movie theatres since TV came on the scene in the early 50’s. That and that people only care about selling theatres for the real estate and you wind up with a sadly dying business.

ERD
ERD on March 6, 2006 at 9:53 am

What a shame it will be when the Alpine closes, as mentioned by THEATERAT on his March 5 post. With all of the technological imporovement and changes, this century is losing so much glamour and fun that the movie entertainment once offered. Like many members of my age, it was an era I am glad to have lived in. Hopefully some people will try to bring it back in some form, or keep what ever is left of it alive.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on March 6, 2006 at 7:00 am

LostMemory—

All those seats, and none with a view of the original CinemaScope screen. In ‘58 I saw “Gigi” at the Sutton on its exclusive first-run after leaving its reserved-seats engagement at the Royale. When it finally reached the nabes, I returned to see it at the Alpine, and remember thinking that it looked magnificently better on the huge screen. Terrific, in fact.

Theaterat
Theaterat on March 6, 2006 at 5:33 am

Box office Bill… Remember seeing ITS A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS at the Alpine in the late 60s.These films- wich were in a widescreen format DID look good on the Alpines screen. When it was firstplexed in the late 70s- early 80`s it was not too bad and I did manage to see a few films there at that time.After not going for many years when I did return to see PASSION OF THE CHRIST 2 years ago, it was absolutely in rock bottom condition. I based my initial entry on that. And speaking about the PASSION, I found Mel Gibsons non epic on the life of Christ to be way too brutal and way to graphic, Even though Gibson took a chance and made a movie peopkle actually went to see, I thgought the whole crucifixion and aftermath were handled better in BEN HUR and KING OF KINGS, but that is just my humble opinion.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on March 5, 2006 at 6:50 am

Theaterat—

Yes to all you write, plus: in the 50s and 60s, Loew’s Alpine boasted of the largest CinemaScope screen in Brooklyn— larger than those at the B'klyn Paramount, the Fox, and Loew’s Kings. It spanned nearly the entire width of the theater’s proscenium-free viewing area.

The Alpine’s conventional wide-screen, however, might not have been the borough’s largest, since its masking closed in at the sides without rising at the top. The result limited the viewing area somewhat. Here I’d bet that the Fox won the title for size.