Film Forum

209 W. Houston Street,
New York, NY 10014

PKoch
PKoch on January 25, 2007 at 9:00 am

Thanks, Lost Memory. What a good little theater to “trip” over, “shockproofed” or not !

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 25, 2007 at 6:37 am

Here is a more recent photo.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 25, 2007 at 4:10 am

In a review yesterday of the 1949 movie “Shockproof,” The New York Times claimed that its current engagement at the Film Forum is “its first New York run.” What nonsense! In May and June, 1949, “Shockproof” was shown all over the Greater New York area, including the entire Loew’s circuit, as the bottom half of a double-bill with another Columbia release, “The Return of October.” In those days, very few people owned TV sets, so hundreds of thousands probably saw “Shockproof” during its engagements in the NYC area.

PKoch
PKoch on October 11, 2006 at 9:55 am

Thanks, Lost Memory !

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 11, 2006 at 9:46 am

This is a photo of the Film Forum marquee.

YMike
YMike on October 3, 2006 at 8:15 am

Film Forum is presenting a 21 day Pre-Code Fox movie program this December. Expect big crowds to attend.

irajoel
irajoel on July 23, 2006 at 2:31 pm

The forums have terrific programming, but I really don’t like the theatres. Those columns, and terrible seats, sightlines etc. If someone tall sits in front of me I’m sunk.

I’m putting up nice movie material that relate to movie theatres including souvenir programs. check it out

you can also visit my own website
www.cinemagebooks.com
to view more material.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 18, 2006 at 6:42 am

The upcoming swashbuckling and Tashlin series look great. These are the kinds of films I always look for in the Loew’s Jersey programming and always in vain. Gorgeous b and w classics and glossy 50’s and 60’s comedies and musicals.
To see Scarlet Pimpernel and Zenda in a movie palace!
If you were around in New York on their first release you got to see them at the Music Hall.

YMike
YMike on May 30, 2006 at 9:25 am

About 10 years ago the FF screened a pre-code musical festival and almost every show was sold out. Silents do well also. I would guess the reason being these are films that are not available on home video or aired on cable.

hardbop
hardbop on May 30, 2006 at 6:04 am

I regularly attend the Film Forum and agree that the massive current series “B Noirs” (70 films) has been very well attended, but I don’t think the tickets have been as tough to get as the Film Noir series they ran back in ‘92 that encompassed about 40 films.

I caught “Army of Shadows” when MoMA ran a Melville retro back in ‘96, but that is also doing real well at the Film Forum. I have seen the “sell out” sign for this film several times, including the 1 o'clock show yesterday when I was down there for a couple of the noir films.

What seems to really be a tough ticket is when FF runs films from the 1930s. All the cineastes come running. Last year’s Paramount Pre-code series was even more packed than the current noir series.

YMike
YMike on May 22, 2006 at 9:01 am

When FF screens older American films the attendance is always high. All the shows on the current Film Noir program have been well attended. Last year FF screened about 3 classic Hollywood films between July and December and I really think that was the reason for the drop in attendance last year.

frankie
frankie on May 22, 2006 at 8:33 am

Film Forum needs to show some of the Paramount, Columbia, and United Artists product that TMC never seems to show. I think we’d all pay money for goodies not on TV or video. Too much repeating, TMC !!! And how about Dottie Lamour for star-of-the-month ??? Any Dottie fans out there ???

hardbop
hardbop on April 6, 2006 at 5:29 am

I wonder if the Film Forum is having money troubles. As a member I received a fundraising letter this week where the FF folks were lamenting the fact that many of the films they screen are not well attended.

I was down there the other night to see the only film in the Don Siegel retro I wanted to see and they are running a promotion where if you renew your membership in April or buy a membership you get a free soda and popcorn.

And one way I judge crowds at the FF is the number of “Village Voice” copies that remain. When the FF is well attended, you can’t find a “Voice.” But late Tuesday afternoon, the day the “Voice” comes out, it looked like no one took a Voice from the previous week so many remained.

I wonder how the Seigel retro drew? I caught all the films in a MoMA Siegel retro back in the 1990s' so I skipped it.

hardbop
hardbop on March 31, 2006 at 7:05 am

Not only are the screens small, but the sight lines are lousy. I guess stadium seating has spoiled me.

Meanwhile is anyone excited as I am about the Film Forum’s next program? They are doing a 70-film retrospective called “B Noir” for six weeks starting May 5. I’ll be making frequent treks down there. Some real obscurities that not only haven’t I seen, but haven’t even heard of.

Noir retros seem to do well and FF has done at least three for four of them since ‘92.

I also can’t remember a retrospective being bigger than 70 films. I know rep houses in the city have done Hitchcock, Fassbinder, Bergman retros, but I don’t think they’ve topped 70 films.

artpf
artpf on March 4, 2006 at 1:49 am

Glad there are revivals, but the screens are smaller than TV monitors!

PKoch
PKoch on November 28, 2005 at 6:53 am

A high school chum of mine saw “Night Of The Living Dead” and the Betty Boop Restrospective at the Elgin in Manhattan at 23rd and 8th in 1973 or 74.

frankie
frankie on November 28, 2005 at 6:44 am

I can vouch for the Lafayette. I took myself up there Saturday morning to see a sparkling b & w print of “The Road To Morocco.” My only complaint was not seeing Dottie’s name on the marquee ! Fond memories of technicolor musicals at the Biograph (with sheet music on the walls !) and Mae West at the Elgin. I wonder if anybody ever found that gorgeous white scarf I lost there that was given to me by my father’s girlfriend Rita ? (The things we remember !) Radio City Music Hall ? I took my 4th grade class there in the ‘70’s to see “1776”, and they kept getting up for refreshments ! But they loved hearing the cast album in class. Film Forum had a jam-packed showing of the deathless “Cobra Woman.” (“What have you got against Maria ? She was a GOOD WOMAN !!!”) frankie from Brooklyn

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on October 18, 2005 at 11:14 am

Vincent, Robert:

You should make it up to my shows at the Lafayette in Suffern. A Hollywood classic every Saturday and the big HorrorThon this weekend.

Pete Apruzzese
Director of Film Programming
Big Screen Classics at the Lafayette Theatre

RobertR
RobertR on October 18, 2005 at 10:45 am

Vincent
I agree to me the Loew’s is the perfect venue for classic Hollywood films.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on October 18, 2005 at 10:13 am

Looking at both the upcoming schedules for Film Forum and Loew’s Jersey they are showing fewer and fewer classic Hollywood films and more and more cult movies which is especially unfortunate for the Loew’s. The Monty Python film recently had a run in Manhattan and Strangelove is shown fairly regularly. Is there no more audience for the great old studio product? (The upcoming Godzilla and Red Death should be good but they showed the Abbott and Costello film a year or two ago.)

RobertR
RobertR on October 17, 2005 at 3:18 pm

If you look at the block ad here for New York Cinemas they were booking one screen of the old Film Forum. I thought at one time it may even have been booked by Walter Reade. The old FF deserves it’s own listing since it was a totally seperate house.

PKoch
PKoch on September 6, 2005 at 11:31 am

Samurai festival on all three Film Forum screens ? Have you complained to Bruce Goldstein yet ?

YMike
YMike on September 6, 2005 at 11:17 am

I just checked the latest ‘Film Forum" calender for Fall-Winter and there will not be a Hollywood film untill Dec.2. (Paths Of Glory) They are in the midst of a Samuri festival so in late Oct. the Forum is having another 4 week Japanese Film Festival! 5 months without classic Hollywood films is just not fair to people like myself who buy yearly memberships to the Film Forum. I think Mr. Goldstein is a great programer but he really should vary the programs more so nobody has to wait almost half a year to see a genre of film. 6 months of foriegn films is just not right.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on August 17, 2005 at 5:56 am

Amen!
Despite my moaning and groaning about screen size it still is a great place(but not for widescreen.) Bruce and Steve are as I have mentioned above two reasons to live in New York at this moment in time if you love film.

evmovieguy
evmovieguy on August 17, 2005 at 5:41 am

Preach it Brother Vincent!

I missed ‘Rebel Without A Cause’ and ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ (in 70mm!!) at The Paris. There was a great screening of ‘The Band Wagon’ there also a few years ago.

Screen size can be a problem at FF. In the theater where they were showing “Gang’s All Here” it was so packed that we had to sit in the back 6 rows or so. Seemed like the screen was a mile away. But regardless of the minor problems with Film Forum it is still a great place. I’ll be there for ‘Once Upon A Time In the West’. Hopefully The Paris wil continue it Saturday Midnight series with some wide-screen stuff.