Film Forum

209 W. Houston Street,
New York, NY 10014

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 8, 2007 at 1:27 pm

No curtains at Film Forum. What I call hi-tech/low tech.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 8, 2007 at 1:25 pm

The ad on the website says the tickets are going on sale 10/12. I don’t think this theater has reserved (assigned) seats. The ad also says the two parts are being sold separately and that both have an intermission. You can see them both in one day, or on different days. Link posted above by IFA.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 8, 2007 at 1:25 pm

“Enjoy and be overwhelmned.”

Amen to that!

Thank goodness they didn’t book this Roadshow presentation into the Ziegfeld. They’d probably get the curtain cues all wrong!

CinemaCentre
CinemaCentre on August 8, 2007 at 1:19 pm

I recall seeing Bernardo Bertolucci’s Uncut 5 hour 11 minute, 2-Part Epic “1900” (Novecento) at the Film Forum in February 1991 and had no problem with screen size or seat comfort. Considering the magnitude of “War and Peace”, having seen the 2-Part US edition several times during the 70mm-Stereo engagement at the former De Mille Theatre, 7th Ave and 47th St, NYC from April to October 1968, a hearty welcome for the original subtitled edition. In 1968, I was literally left emotionally exhausted by the powerful “Battle of Borodino” sequence from the section where Prince Bolkonsky faces death observing the swirling canon ball at his feet all the way through to the sweeping aerial photography of the battle leading the viewer being drawn further up into the tranquility of the clouds with the battle almost unnoticed below. The “Burning of Moscow” is another incredible sequence. The imagery and editing almost defies analysis as it has such a complex dynamic structure of editing, effects and that powerful music score by Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov. I tried to break down the “Borodino” sequence into shots and camera angles and was moderately successful. Sergei Bondarchuk had to be a “beyond” genius artist to pull all of the elements together in a film that is almost impossible to forget. The last New York showing of the Russian language subtitled version of “War and Peace” was at the Museum of Modern Art in a tribute to the late Sergei Bondarchuk given from January 12-14, 1995. If the screen at the Film Forum is not the largest and the seats not the most plush and comfortable, I am willing to endure such shortcomings to see cinematic artistry at its finest. Each of the 2-Parts does have an intermission, making each segment 90 to 120 mins. Enjoy and be overwhelmned.

PKoch
PKoch on August 8, 2007 at 1:09 pm

No, Bob Furmanek, I don’t know if advance tickets are being sold. I usually bought my tickets one show in advance when I went there. Sometimes that wasn’t soon enough, as for the 1931 “Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde” in spring 1988 or “Plan 9” in summer 1988.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 8, 2007 at 1:05 pm

I certainly hope so, then it will be just like seeing it when it was first released!

Do you know if they are selling advance tickets on a reserved seat basis? I want to be sure to get the “sweet spot” for this one.

IFA; please thank Ms. Verlotsky and Seagull Films for bringing this Roadshow Epic back to New York.

PKoch
PKoch on August 8, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Will there be intermissions ?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 8, 2007 at 10:34 am

Bob, I don’t know if you’re trying to be funny about War and Peace looking spectacular at the Film Forum, but…while the image will be crisp and bright and the sound will be clear, the screens are so small, the seats a bit uncomfortable (one must suffer for art!)and the sightlines less than ideal, I would dread seeing a seven hour movie (in Russian!) at this house.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 8, 2007 at 9:22 am

Wow – that will look really spectacular on their screen!

PKoch
PKoch on January 25, 2007 at 11:00 am

Thanks, Lost Memory. What a good little theater to “trip” over, “shockproofed” or not !

PKoch
PKoch on October 11, 2006 at 11:55 am

Thanks, Lost Memory !

YMike
YMike on October 3, 2006 at 10:15 am

Film Forum is presenting a 21 day Pre-Code Fox movie program this December. Expect big crowds to attend.

irajoel
irajoel on July 23, 2006 at 4:31 pm

The forums have terrific programming, but I really don’t like the theatres. Those columns, and terrible seats, sightlines etc. If someone tall sits in front of me I’m sunk.

I’m putting up nice movie material that relate to movie theatres including souvenir programs. check it out

you can also visit my own website
www.cinemagebooks.com
to view more material.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 18, 2006 at 8:42 am

The upcoming swashbuckling and Tashlin series look great. These are the kinds of films I always look for in the Loew’s Jersey programming and always in vain. Gorgeous b and w classics and glossy 50’s and 60’s comedies and musicals.
To see Scarlet Pimpernel and Zenda in a movie palace!
If you were around in New York on their first release you got to see them at the Music Hall.

YMike
YMike on May 30, 2006 at 11:25 am

About 10 years ago the FF screened a pre-code musical festival and almost every show was sold out. Silents do well also. I would guess the reason being these are films that are not available on home video or aired on cable.

hardbop
hardbop on May 30, 2006 at 8:04 am

I regularly attend the Film Forum and agree that the massive current series “B Noirs” (70 films) has been very well attended, but I don’t think the tickets have been as tough to get as the Film Noir series they ran back in ‘92 that encompassed about 40 films.

I caught “Army of Shadows” when MoMA ran a Melville retro back in ‘96, but that is also doing real well at the Film Forum. I have seen the “sell out” sign for this film several times, including the 1 o'clock show yesterday when I was down there for a couple of the noir films.

What seems to really be a tough ticket is when FF runs films from the 1930s. All the cineastes come running. Last year’s Paramount Pre-code series was even more packed than the current noir series.

YMike
YMike on May 22, 2006 at 11:01 am

When FF screens older American films the attendance is always high. All the shows on the current Film Noir program have been well attended. Last year FF screened about 3 classic Hollywood films between July and December and I really think that was the reason for the drop in attendance last year.

frankie
frankie on May 22, 2006 at 10:33 am

Film Forum needs to show some of the Paramount, Columbia, and United Artists product that TMC never seems to show. I think we’d all pay money for goodies not on TV or video. Too much repeating, TMC !!! And how about Dottie Lamour for star-of-the-month ??? Any Dottie fans out there ???

hardbop
hardbop on April 6, 2006 at 7:29 am

I wonder if the Film Forum is having money troubles. As a member I received a fundraising letter this week where the FF folks were lamenting the fact that many of the films they screen are not well attended.

I was down there the other night to see the only film in the Don Siegel retro I wanted to see and they are running a promotion where if you renew your membership in April or buy a membership you get a free soda and popcorn.

And one way I judge crowds at the FF is the number of “Village Voice” copies that remain. When the FF is well attended, you can’t find a “Voice.” But late Tuesday afternoon, the day the “Voice” comes out, it looked like no one took a Voice from the previous week so many remained.

I wonder how the Seigel retro drew? I caught all the films in a MoMA Siegel retro back in the 1990s' so I skipped it.

hardbop
hardbop on March 31, 2006 at 9:05 am

Not only are the screens small, but the sight lines are lousy. I guess stadium seating has spoiled me.

Meanwhile is anyone excited as I am about the Film Forum’s next program? They are doing a 70-film retrospective called “B Noir” for six weeks starting May 5. I’ll be making frequent treks down there. Some real obscurities that not only haven’t I seen, but haven’t even heard of.

Noir retros seem to do well and FF has done at least three for four of them since ‘92.

I also can’t remember a retrospective being bigger than 70 films. I know rep houses in the city have done Hitchcock, Fassbinder, Bergman retros, but I don’t think they’ve topped 70 films.

artpf
artpf on March 4, 2006 at 3:49 am

Glad there are revivals, but the screens are smaller than TV monitors!

PKoch
PKoch on November 28, 2005 at 8:53 am

A high school chum of mine saw “Night Of The Living Dead” and the Betty Boop Restrospective at the Elgin in Manhattan at 23rd and 8th in 1973 or 74.

frankie
frankie on November 28, 2005 at 8:44 am

I can vouch for the Lafayette. I took myself up there Saturday morning to see a sparkling b & w print of “The Road To Morocco.” My only complaint was not seeing Dottie’s name on the marquee ! Fond memories of technicolor musicals at the Biograph (with sheet music on the walls !) and Mae West at the Elgin. I wonder if anybody ever found that gorgeous white scarf I lost there that was given to me by my father’s girlfriend Rita ? (The things we remember !) Radio City Music Hall ? I took my 4th grade class there in the ‘70’s to see “1776”, and they kept getting up for refreshments ! But they loved hearing the cast album in class. Film Forum had a jam-packed showing of the deathless “Cobra Woman.” (“What have you got against Maria ? She was a GOOD WOMAN !!!”) frankie from Brooklyn

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on October 18, 2005 at 1:14 pm

Vincent, Robert:

You should make it up to my shows at the Lafayette in Suffern. A Hollywood classic every Saturday and the big HorrorThon this weekend.

Pete Apruzzese
Director of Film Programming
Big Screen Classics at the Lafayette Theatre

RobertR
RobertR on October 18, 2005 at 12:45 pm

Vincent
I agree to me the Loew’s is the perfect venue for classic Hollywood films.