Palace Theatre

1564 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 7, 2011 at 10:26 am

Ad for the August 1957 re-launching of the Palace as an “important” first-run house.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on June 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm

A photo-ad in Boxoffice magazine, April 6, 1959, showing marquee and crowds at the entrance for The Diary of Anne Frank.

rennie
rennie on July 19, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Just found out my Great-Grandfather, Percival “Patty” Roberts was manager and electrician at Palace in Manhattan at the turn of the century!! Wow!! I have sepia photos of him at switchboard backstage.

JSA
JSA on June 21, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Visiting the Palace was one of the highlights during my trip to NYC last week. What a gorgeous, amazing place. And the show, West Side Story, was beautifully staged. “Cool” and “Dance at the Gym” musical numbers were just stunning!

JSA

Bway
Bway on May 21, 2009 at 10:38 am

Great photo, to compare to the current one.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 2, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Here is a 1948 photo from the Smithsonian:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm

That’s a nice photo.

JimS1
JimS1 on February 11, 2009 at 2:54 pm

My first time at the Palace I saw Gwen Verdon in SWEET CHARITY. I also saw GOODTIME CHARLEY, the musical about Joan of Arc with Joel Grey and Ann Reinking. I also saw WOMAN OF THE YEAR, WILL ROGERS FOLLIES and AIDA. I had NO idea that the Palace had once again been used as a movie theatre following the runs of SWEET CHARITY and HENRY SWEET HENRY and before APPLAUSE opened in 1970.
One of my happiest theatre memories was attending the final preview of APPLAUSE with Bacall. That was an exciting evening for me. It was a Sunday night and there were lots of actors in attendance as Sunday night was their night off. I was on a college theatre trip and was very lucky to snag a great orchestra seat earlier that day. It must have been a house seat as the location was ideal.
Great memories at the Palace. Hope to see the new WEST SIDE STORY!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 30, 2008 at 8:49 am

Not Life, Warren, that was me. There was no identification on the photo.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 29, 2008 at 6:59 am

It took me a long time to spot the Palace (on the far left) because I never saw a parade march UP Broadway and my bearings were off; I guess when it was a still a two-way street, why not!

LuisV
LuisV on November 29, 2008 at 6:16 am

Thanks Ken mc for the photo. I never realized that the old Howard Johnsons was once a Childs!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 27, 2008 at 11:43 am

The Palace marquee is on the left in this 1948 photo from Life Magazine:

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 23, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Advanced search feature doesn’t seem to be working; what is/was the Fulton Theater?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 19, 2008 at 1:41 pm

The RKO Palace can been seen in this 1951 photo from Life magazine. This is a new collection of photos that has been added to Google.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 23, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Liza’s at the Palace. December 3 thru 14th.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on October 16, 2008 at 11:40 pm

From next Feb, yes.

MPol
MPol on October 16, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Is this the same Palace Theatre that will be hosting the new Broadway stage revival of the musical “West Side Story”, btw? Just curious.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on September 4, 2008 at 11:04 am

That’s pure, vintage Bosley C. My guess at the bottom of the page is that the film opening at the RKO Albee that day was “Weekend in Havana,” with Alice Faye and … Carmen Miranda! It would have been a better choice for the Palace to have followed the paradigm of “Falcon” and Bomber" by booking that film instead.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on September 4, 2008 at 8:54 am

“The Maltese Falcon” opened at the Strand on 3 Oct ‘41, with Jan Savitt and His Tophatters, plus Hi Lo Jack and the Dame (Radio’s Most Unusual Rhythm Makers) on stage. WB’s premier venue, the Hollywood, was showing “Sargeant York” on a long hold-over run.

The Palace in those days ran a double-feature bill that cherry-picked the two main-feature films current on the RKO nabe circuit—in this case, “Dive Bomber” (with Errol Flynn), the feature attraction at the RKO Manhattan theaters, plus “Sun Valley Seranade” (with Sonja Henie!), the feature attraction at the RKO Albee, slated to follow “Dive Bomber” onto the Manhattan screens.

Nostalgic footnote: The World Series was evidently in progress, and the RKO advertisements boasted: “World Series Returns Announced.” I had almost forgotten that at that time of year in those pre-instant-newsflash days, the projectionist periodically muted the film’s sound track to announce the Series (and Pennant) scores at the end of each inning. Though barely more than a toddler, I hated that desecration of the movies and consequently developed a life-long indifference to America’s Favorite Passtime: who, in any case, should ever have so much time to squander on a leather ball?

edblank
edblank on September 3, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Robert, When exactly was that? Was it a moveover engagement of “Maltese Falcon”?

RobertR
RobertR on September 3, 2008 at 3:06 pm

The 3 Stooges sharing a bill with Bogie

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on June 13, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Does anyone have the stage dimensions of this theatre?
Thanks.