Uptown Theatre

4816 North Broadway,
Chicago, IL 60640

123james
123james on October 30, 2009 at 1:54 am

thanks for posting the pictures—-to me it still looks great——even after all the neglict and abuse——thru the years

chspringer
chspringer on October 30, 2009 at 1:41 am

I’d love to see more interior shots in color. Most I’ve found are B&W. The one above is nice.

tarantex
tarantex on October 30, 2009 at 12:34 am

Those Pictures Panzer65 are so nice thankx for posting them!!

jwballer
jwballer on October 29, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Thank you for you confidence panzer65

Panzer65
Panzer65 on October 13, 2009 at 1:06 am

I have an interior photo of the Uptown, viewing the ornate architecture it is some what peculiar to movie palaces in America. The photographer is standing in the mezzanine, an Italian term that loosely translates into mid way or middle. This section is sandwiched in between the balcony and the orchestra level. Another peculiar design element is that the seats along the side , which are known as Opera Boxes , or Box Seats, usually are independent of the other seats. This design gracefully sweeps into the side walls of the theater.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on October 13, 2009 at 12:53 am

I’m from New York City and we are facing the same predicament as you are, we are trying to save a 1916 Thomas Lamb designed theater building named Ridgewood. Although this theater is name an ornate palace like your Uptown, we share the same love for the memories and historic value that these buildings hold. I signed the petition without hesitation and wish you the best of luck saving the Uptown. Please do visit us in New York City, and check out the CT Ridgewood page.

jwballer
jwballer on September 12, 2009 at 12:03 am

Please just pay the 80 mil its a great place even bigger than the Chicago. The Uptown is possibly the greatest landmark ever to be built in Uptown

uptownjen
uptownjen on August 14, 2009 at 4:58 am

I hope it’s not simply to eliminate possible competition, should Live Nation or someone else get a hold on it. I’ve heard that the hold-up is that some people want the seats to be ripped out on the floor and others want it completely restored.

This recent article doesn’t make the whole thing sound very positive.

Jean
Jean on July 20, 2009 at 11:53 am

My late mother used to go there as a kid with her cousin and to ALL the B&K theatres for FREE. I am thus related to the KATZ side of B&K. I wish I could one day see the inside. I have been offered but since mom passed away last year, I don’t have much desire to go back to Chicago. :(

123james
123james on July 16, 2009 at 9:57 pm

i keep checking for news of the uptown’s rescue everyday——when will the compass rose website be updated with if anything is happening———is it possible that the city or state could get stimulas fund’s for a restoration project—-this could create some jobs——what about using it for a olympic games in 2016 if chicago is selected as host city——it might be a cool and comfotable place to watch various events if you can’t get a ticket(s)?

wurl240
wurl240 on July 16, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Does the Uptown have a concrete roof? I would guess it would. Seems to be those wood and tar paper theatre roofs that allow water in to destroy interiors. I would hope Uptown would be “land-banked”. Keep a
roof on it with adequate down spouts and try to heat in the winter.
I greatly admire those who are/have been working to keep this outstanding B&K house from total destruction.

paullewis
paullewis on April 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I find it very distressing that the future of the Uptown still remains in doubt despite the wonderful efforts of the “friends” to keep it in the public eye.
Having looked extensively in many publications relating to the great movie palaces of the past (I have a first edition of “Best Remaining Seats” plus many other later books) I have concluded that not only is the Uptown the finest survivor in the world of this genre but was without doubt one of the top 3 or 4 movie palaces ever built. To my mind only the New York Roxy and Capitol were better and some would argue the Fox San Francisco, although for me it was a bit too over the top.
Because of its unique status today its demise would rank with the demolition of Penn Station New York in 1963 as one of the greatest acts of public vandalism in American history.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 2, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Renew notification test.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on March 14, 2009 at 3:08 am

I guess the link no longer works.
The Sun-Times article was basically about Ald. Smith trying to get/force? JAM to partner with Live Nation on a future for the Uptown Theatre.
Even though there were possible conflicts of interest on Live Nation’s part since they already supposedly have contracts with the city either at Northerly Island (Miegs Field), or elsewhere for Summer festivals.
Also JAM apparently has issues with Live Nation a competitor, apparently previously trying to cause JAM headaches.

I just read on CT’s Capitol Music Hall(Wheeling, WV) page, that Live Nation sold that venue for $615,000 after supposedly seeking $800,000 in 2007.
A building that also housed recording studios, offices etc. A promoters dream space I would think. Besides, don’t they already own House Of Blues?

So maybe it best that Live Nation never get their hands in or on the Uptown.
The Uptown is likely out of their league.
The Capitol Music Hall only needed $2-8 million+ worth of work.

As far as Ald. Smith pushing for a JAM/Live Nation partnership, she should probably do more homework on Live Nation. Hometown JAM is a better fit for the Uptown on their own. Especially since they made the effort to buy it on their own. After no one else would.
Again, Who is Ald. Smith to tell JAM who to work with on their property? And again, if she wanted Live Nation’s involvement because of their past city ties, why didn’t she get them to buy it in the first place.
In retrospect, it sounds like she wanted someone else to pay for the place and it’s problems, then sweep in Live Nation and their money to “help” get it up and running.
If Live Nation didn’t want to spend $2 million to fix up an already operational music venue, what’s going to be their part in a $30 million dollar renovation? Their expertise?

Bing00
Bing00 on March 9, 2009 at 4:08 am

What was that Sun Times article?

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on January 11, 2009 at 3:03 am

Geez. Why didn’t Ald. Smith just have Live Nation show up and buy it at the auction? I read where even JAM was surprised that they themselves were the only bidders.
Why wait til JAM lays out the front money, and then attempt to dictate what they do with THEIR property?
Only in Chicago.

uptownjen
uptownjen on January 11, 2009 at 2:41 am

Sadly, the problems with Uptown owners continue…I couldn’t be more disappointed.

spectrum
spectrum on November 12, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Haven’t seen URL’s posted for these two great photo galleries on flickr:

The first has 51 photos posted in August 2007 and June 2008, about a third exterior, 2/3 interior shots.

The second has six interior shots from 2007:

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 7, 2008 at 9:46 pm

One of the more interesting shots I have seen:

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on October 18, 2008 at 11:15 am

I forgot to mention that the Aragon had a sister ballroom around 63rd & Cottage Grove, called The Trianon. I’ve seen some interior pics posted around the net before. It was quite opulant with recessed oval lighting, giant lounges and expensive furniture as would be expected of a theatre type space of it’s vintage.

The Trianon was open from the early 20’s until the late 50's. Then left vacant and torn down in the60’s.
I think I read that they had certain house rules about chaperones, unaccompanied women and interracial dancing to accomodate changing times.

When I worked at Fanning Cadillac on Broadway & Foster, we had a longtime Balmoral neighborhood greeter of Japanese descent, who said she was barred from patronizing the Aragon Ballroom during and shortly after World War II. Some of her famliy had been interred as well. She was a sweetheart of a lady named Dahli, who had a wealth of knowledge about the Uptown neighborhood. Sadly she passed away maybe ten year ago.

Like the Aragon, the Trianon would sometimes do live radio broadcasts of jazz bands at dance events. Some on WGN, and some later transferred to 78rpm records.

Jayne1955
Jayne1955 on October 10, 2008 at 2:16 am

The floor of the Aragone ball room was built on some kind of spring suspension, so that 8,000 people polka-ing on it would not wind up falling through to the lobby floor. That was one cool building in its day. In the 60’s it was painted with day-glow paint and renamed the Cheeta. Yuck! That was the low point of its life. But no, it isn’t exactly the same situation as a theatre. It was commisioned to Huzach and Hill, but designed by John Eberson, who is well known to theatre buffs, though.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on October 8, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Greetings. Both the Aragon and Riviera I’d say are considerably smaller than the Uptown. The Uptown boasted “an acre of seats”. So the stage to accomodate a crowd that big would be quite large.
The load-in I’ve seen most at the Riviera, is through a door on on the Lawrence Avenue side. Semi trucks and/or tour buses usually remain parked on the South side of Lawrence as well.
I think trucks/tour buses are currently barred from the North side of Lawrence, because of an existing CTA bus stop and to insure traffic flow.
Since they’ve done primarily just bands since it stopped showing movies, I’d say no elaborate sets were ever really part of the mix.

The Aragon has an alley between itself and the “L” tracks to the West. I’ve seen that alley blocked off before, but also some obvious band trucks & buses in a small corner lot kitty corner and to the East.
Remember too that the Aragon was a ballroom, not a theater. It has a huge oval like dance floor on the second floor. With a stage on the South end of the building. The seats during the ballroom days were along the sides with tables, and above on balconies overlooking the dance floor.
The first floor is just lobby space, some offices and retail storefronts. Used to contain pool halls & liquor stores etc.
Some concerts I remember in the 70's &80’s at the Aragon, they would set up temporary folding seats over the old ballroom floor, facing the stage. Nugent, Ramones(like you sat for that), Aldo Nova, Cheap Trick, Stray Cats, Rick “Elvis” Saucedo, etc.
I don’t know if they bother with any chairs at shows now.

So the load-in for a renovated Uptown beyond just bands again, would take some serious planning. Most likely as I had posted before, somehow incorporating the side street to the West, and possibly making an actual loading dock, out of what used to be an exit with a smaller marquee overhang as I remember.

mp775
mp775 on October 8, 2008 at 3:56 pm

How is loading at the Riviera and Aragon? I’m sure those venues have hosted concert tours with elaborate sets, and both face similar loading constraints to the Uptown.