AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

xbs2034 on July 14, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Was this said recently, that would be great if true (I remember when they first switched to digital in fall of 2013 the manager said the plan was to go to laser sometime in the second half of 2014, so I’m a bit skeptical until they lock down an actual month or other clear time frame).

Interesting that they would also put in new seats (I understand they don’t want to go with recliners, but I find the IMAX seats decent already, it is some of the ones in the downstairs screens that feel like they may be falling apart) could certainly see it taking longer than 4 weeks to renovate if they did that as well which likely means a big film or two will be skipped if they open this year.

ridethectrain on July 14, 2015 at 10:51 pm

The manager told me in the fall for laser and the theatre getting new seats in thecimax screen. No recliners the screen might lose about 100 seats vA

xbs2034 on July 14, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Given we are already getting press releases/announced schedules for IMAX locations converting to laser for Feb 2016 dates and still no announcement on a timetable for Lincoln Square, I’m not optimistic it is happening this year. One other nice bit of info the article gives is that it takes approx. 4 weeks to convert to laser, so unless they are going to begin the process after Mission Impossible or Man from Uncle at the very latest we can probably write it off from happening this year (don’t see them cutting off the runs of Everest and The Walk when those films are opening early in IMAX, and after those there isn’t much time before the big holiday blockbusters starting with Spectre).

As for the non-IMAX screens, I also think the place could use some renovation (and it does great business, so it would make financial sense). I’ve seen Ex Machina and a test screening of Steve Jobs here recently, and the screens/seats were showing their age.

moviebuff82 on July 7, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Coming this fall, laser imax.

xbs2034 on June 6, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Celboy, here is an article from IMAX where they state the laser projection can do 1:43 aspect ratio

I don’t think IMAX has released full details of their new camera yet (if I remember correctly, they didn’t do so with the 3D digital camera last year until a couple weeks before Transformers came out, even though it had been in use for a long time) so we will have to wait and see. I’d be hopeful they would keep the classic ratio with it, but yeah it could just be 1.9.

moviebuff82 on June 1, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Maybe Lincoln Square will have laser projection once the new star wars movie comes out..

celboy on June 1, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Hi xbs2034, Do you know anymore about “somewhat different”? I guess we’ll have to wait & see. —I don’t see the camera being “better”—more like maybe Imax being the only one to buy alexa 65 cameras and using them for their Imax clients. —I think Imax considers “Imax aspect ratio” to be 1.9—the chip size—not the 1.4 15/70. I think they can work outside dci specs and choose the full chip for display and coin it “Imax aspect ratio”. To me , its like Super 35 projection with extra headroom top & bottom—nothing significantly better. —but more a composition change. Lets see if David Fincher does an Imax release? —To my knowledge, the aspect ratio in the lasers are nothing new. Its still 1.9. TI DLP chips are that. The laser doesn’t change the rez—just the light source. Please correct me if I am wrong. —This again leads back to my earlier post above about classic aspect ratios being totally dead (very unfortunate) and its 1.9 and smaller.

xbs2034 on June 1, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Celboy, while the IMAX system is “jointly modified” by Arri and IMAX from the Alexa 65 design, it is important to note the Alexa 65 (which was used to shoot Inarritu’s The Revenant) is somewhat different from the new IMAX digital camera (which will debut on sections of Captain America: Civil War and used for the entirety of the next Avengers films).

IMAX has said that the digital camera will use IMAX aspect ratio, I assume it will be the classic one that 15/70 used and is now in the lasers systems (which hopefully would be widespread by May 2018 when the third Avengers releases), though possible it could be the 1.9 digital IMAX aspect ratio.

xbs2034 on June 1, 2015 at 5:27 pm

amcbayplaza13, neither Lincoln Square nor any IMAX theater is showing a 15/70 print of Tomorrowland, it is just playing in digital IMAX at Lincoln (though some other locations, sadly none near NYC, have it in IMAX Laser).

I’m also pretty sure Jurassic World will not have any film prints: Interstellar is the only Hollywood feature in the last year and half to get a 15/70 release, and many indications are that no others are coming (IMAX has been quiet on outright confirming that, but if JW were to break this trend I have to imagine there would be talk about it by now).

Giles on May 28, 2015 at 11:30 pm

interesting little tidbit of 8-channel SDDS sound: DCI compliant audio processors can use and implement the left/center and right/center speaker that SDDS-8 featured. Word is that the new restored DCP of ‘My Fair Lady’ is encoded as such – retaining the original 1964 70mm/6-track mix configurement.

MarkNYLA on May 28, 2015 at 10:09 pm

SDDS was a film-only sound format. There is no digital projection version. It is no longer supported by Sony, although theaters that are still equipped with readers and who still receive 35mm prints that support the format can still play it.

ridethectrain on May 28, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Theaters 1 Loews Theatre 2 Kings and Theatre 5 Valencia Dolby Digital. Loews also has Dolby Atmos. The other 9 probably SDDS. Half of the AMC Empire 25 is SDDS. Their the small houses

Also note Loews is not THX certified anymore

RobertAlex on May 28, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info! I was under the impression that imax laser could do 4:3. We shall see soon enough. I have seen two films at the Chinese Theater in IMAX Laser and it is spectacular. Same with Dolby Vision, it was just phenomenal at The El Capitian . Best digital images I have ever seen. Hopefully they will release more information soon on Winter Soldier and the aspect ratio they will use with that film before they start Infinity War. Thanks for the reply !

This was the first Imax I have ever been too and have always adored this theater.

celboy on May 28, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Robert, that link refers to an update on the original Alexa camera that is widely used today. They (arri) are pushing anamorphic capture. But no projector makers are pushing anamorphic projection..—– probably due to DCI. Thats what makes me wonder if 4x3 digital projection will ever happen. Arri appears to be treating alexa 65 as its own thing…you can’t buy …only rent. Pixel-wise the camera is 6560x3102.

RobertAlex on May 28, 2015 at 3:22 pm

cellboy, I am not sure that information about the Alexa 65 is correct. I might be wrong, but doesn’t this info from Arri mean that this lens is capable of a 1.1:43 aspect ratio with the Alexa 65?

ALEXA Plus 4:3 for anamorphic

moviebuff82 on May 28, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Does this theater still use SDDS?

Giles on May 27, 2015 at 8:46 pm

well that’s conterintuitive when every IMAX (15/70) screens are 4:3 – guess the future means we’ll get stuck with 2.0:1 / 1.9:1 image letterboxed on said screens, but still not using the full screen – ugh…

celboy on May 27, 2015 at 7:33 pm

The new Alexa 65 camera has an aspect ratio of 2.1 to 1. I don’t think sensors /chips are going to get 4x3, rectanglar aspect ratio of 2 to 1 seems to be the primary display future.

Giles on May 27, 2015 at 6:02 pm

you should point out moviebuff82 that each next Avenger’s movies will be shot in Digital IMAX for the entire movie – I gather that means that 4:3 screens full screen and 1.78:1 on all IMAX-Digital screens. In other words, no alternating aspect ratios.

Press release news:

‘IMAX Corporation today announced that Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War – Parts 1 & 2, the two-part installment to the global blockbuster franchise, will be shot in their entirety using IMAX® and ARRI’s next generation revolutionary 2D digital camera – a joint customized digital version of ARRI’s new large format camera, the Alexa 65. The two-part Avengers saga marks the first time a Hollywood feature film will have been shot completely using IMAX® cameras and will feature IMAX’s exclusive aspect ratio, providing moviegoers a uniquely immersive experience.’

Giles on May 27, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Tomorrowland’s IMAX aspect ratio is slightly open matted to 1.90:1

none of the Guardians of the Galaxy was shot with IMAX cameras – but I do have to say, the IMAX ‘experience’ with the expanded screen sequences was really stunning and worked to the giant screens advantage.

ridethectrain on May 27, 2015 at 5:52 pm

iMAX DLP. If it was 15/70. It would take up the whole screen. If you saw Guardians of the Galaxy or Transformers 4. Some scenes were shot same way. But with Imax cameras

amcbayplaza13 on May 27, 2015 at 5:23 pm

The amc lincoln Square 13 imax projection is showing the tommorowland 15/70mm film print a little birdy just to me the Jurassic world will come in imax in June 12

ridethectrain on May 27, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Tomorrowland is IMAX DMR. The film was enhanced for IMAX

moviebuff82 on May 27, 2015 at 3:12 pm

i’ve seen that in the trailers…it’s an odd aspect ratio and they converted that into 3d. The next avengers movie will be filmed in digital imax 2d for two parts. San andreas will share screen time in imax with Tomorrowland and that is a DMR blowup converted to 3D.

Giles on May 27, 2015 at 10:35 am

sheesh – jump down the guy’s throat – according to imdb – the film was all digitally captured – interesting, though, the aspect ratio used for ‘Tomorrowland’ is 70mm’s 2.20:1

in terms of 15/70 IMAX prints being struck for ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ – it better, not all the museums / science centers have all digital (let alone laser ) systems in place. We know that J.J. Abrams shot at least one major set piece in 15/70 – so I’d hope that Disney strike prints for this.

now in terms of ‘Jurassic World’ some scenes were filmed in 65mm and again, this film will be released in aspect ratio of 2.00:1 (yeah, go figure on that one).