AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 21, 2014 at 4:52 pm

It’s time for AMC to renovate this theater and put in reclining seats like its sister theater the 84th street 6. It’s also common in other AMC theaters in the US to see a movie the way the director intended it to be. How are the other screens compared to the IMAX screen? When did the IMAX open?

mhvbear
mhvbear on June 21, 2014 at 9:13 am

I was here a few weeks ago to see “Godzilla” in Theatre 1. Went there or the Dolby ATMOS. Just say they royally messed up the projection of the movie. The picture did not take up the screen with black borders on top, bottom & sides. Seems as though the switching back and forth between 3D to 2D the proper adjustments were not done. Once the film started I was told nothing could be done. We were given passes but now the Lincoln Square is not a sure bet on presentation and this was considered one of the premier theaters in NYC. AMC has ruined this theater for me. It is getting harder in NYC to see a decent movie presentation.

Giles
Giles on June 20, 2014 at 9:21 pm

IMAX ‘laser’ will be true 4K – so yes the resolution will be improved.

‘Jersey Boys’ here at the Lincoln Square 13 is only one out of two East Coast theaters that are presenting the film in Dolby Atmos.

celboy
celboy on June 13, 2014 at 1:52 pm

For Interstellar…. but not for Hobbit 3?

relaxednyc
relaxednyc on June 13, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Unfortunately, the IMAX here has seemingly converted to digital. Current presentation of EDGE OF TOMORROW is presented in dual-projector 2k digital, slightly dimmer than the usual 15/70. Really unfortunate, as this was the only IMAX in the city projecting film.

As I understand it, they’ll be keeping the 15/70 projectors for INTERSTELLAR, after which they’ll be retired. And the IMAX is due for the laser projector upgrade once they’re ready, which should solve the dimness issue, if not the resolution.

mhvbear
mhvbear on May 4, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Screen ! “The Loews” has Dolby Atmos according to Fandango.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on May 4, 2014 at 4:18 pm

the AMC site has a list of theaters equipped with Dolby ATMOS, have you checked on there?

celboy
celboy on May 4, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Can someone please confirm for me—-Is the Dolby Atmos system installed in the Loews theater?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 21, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Same here, GaryCohen. It’s been a long time since i went to an Imax movie there. I mostly go to my nearest theater which sadly is a Digital Imax that is not as tall as this one.

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I’ve only been to the IMAX part of this enormous theater. It is without a doubt the best theater I’ve ever been in. Not only does it have the biggest IMAX screen I’ve seen, but the sound is extraordinary. Saw Man of Steel there last summer and the sound was so loud, I could actually feel the vibrations. In recent years I’ve seen the aforementioned Man of Steel, as well as Superman Returns, Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek Into Darkness, Skyfall, the Hobbit films, etc. By the way, check out the view of the street as you go up or come down that enormous escalator to the IMAX, very impressive. Hands down, this IMAX is the best place in New York to see a large scale film. I can only imagine what the new Godzilla will be like there next summer.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 5, 2014 at 4:30 pm

saw the youtube video. Can’t believe this theater will turn 20 later this year…still the best place to see an Imax movie in the NYC tri-state area. I remember going here a few months after it opened to see Across the Sea of Time which was my first Imax 3D movie and enjoyed the presentation. Ticket prices have gone up since then but the Imax is still the same. I never go to the other screens since they show the same stuff as most multiplexes although sometimes they show exclusive engagements before wide release, such as Lone Survivor which is doing gangbusters at the box office this weekend. No wonder why this theater as well as the Ziegfield host big premieres for big movies.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 5, 2014 at 7:02 am

same thing happened at amc loews boston common where a burst pipe broke.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on January 5, 2014 at 7:00 am

Evacuation- no direct from AMC Employees- over 4000 guests turned out to a frigid New York City night- this happened at the AMC Loews Lincoln Square.

Here’s the link ( including AMC response and first hand reports) from the Huffington Post.

[if someone can hot link, please feel free]

mhvbear
mhvbear on November 30, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Just back from see “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” The IMAX Experience. 15/70mm print. When the games start the screen opened up to full height and remained 4:3 ratio for most the rest of the film. Definitely can tell the difference from when I saw “Gravity” in Digital IMAX. I checked with Guest Services and The Hobbit sequel will be in 15/70mm.

celboy
celboy on November 24, 2013 at 7:01 am

According to the film’s editor— “It was really interesting to go from cutting this almost 4×3 image to have to basically lop the top and the bottom off. They never shot at common-center for the Imax, knowing that I would go back in later and fix it.” – See more at: http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/11/editor-alan-edward-bell-on-the-hunger-games-catching-fire/#sthash.kndyAFAZ.dpuf

So I guess I will try & see it on imax film.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 22, 2013 at 11:37 am

Great news!!! Is the aspect ratio 4:3 in the imax scenes or flat ratio like digital imax? In one of the trailers for the movie at the very end the aspect ratio changes from scope to flat.

mhvbear
mhvbear on November 22, 2013 at 11:03 am

I doubled check today and according to the Customer Service deck, Catching Fire is being presented in the IMAX in 15/70mm.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on November 21, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Back in October a member had posted that he heard from theatre personnel that Catching Fire and Hobbit sequel were going to be presented on film. That might have changed though for a myriad of reasons.

Not that it helps folks attending here, but let me throw out that it will be showing in 70MM Imax at the Metreon in SF

markp
markp on November 21, 2013 at 5:47 am

I heard earlier this year, don’t know how true it is, that all 15/70 Imax will be gone by mid 2014.

mhvbear
mhvbear on November 19, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Disappointment. According to the person I talked with today on the phone The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will be digital on the IMAX screen instead of 15/70mm. So holding off on booking tickets until after the film opens on Thursday and check again to make sure. If this is the case the only IMAX in the area showing the film in 17/70mm is the IMAX in the Palisades Mall in Nyack. And Catching Fire has IMAX shot footage. Does not bode well for The Hobbit sequel. Here is an interesting article I found.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 30, 2013 at 11:22 am

Atmos was installed in this theater when gravity debuted here. Is it in the loews screen?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Was the picture still larger than the digital fake imax theaters?

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Fantasia 2000 was filmed in IMAX so it had the traditional 1.43:1 ratio. The Lincoln Square IMAX is 97 feet wide so even with ‘Gravity’ not taking up the full width, the picture was still larger than either the Lincoln Square 1 or the Ziegfeld.