AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on March 16, 2016 at 3:13 am

And how could higher resolution hurt your eyes? It’s closer to real life and your eyes were designed for real life. I don’t get it.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on March 16, 2016 at 3:13 am

How could the new IMAX 3D hurt your eyes? If anything, since the 3D no longer has nasty ghosting and other problems shouldn’t it hurt your eyes less??

(the volume level however, could definitely cause permanent hearing loss/tinnitus; a shame since the speakers are so awesome, but they are set too loud to listen to)

waterguy56
waterguy56 on March 14, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Since the IMAX company had spent over millions of $ on it, I don’t think it will cause any big problems. I guess It may cause damages if we stay in the IMAX theater 10 hours everyday.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 14, 2016 at 6:53 pm

I wonder if watching a laser movie in 3D could hurt someones eyes more than plain digital 3d imax. The resolution of the image is akin to what you see on a phone or tablet screen or 4k tv display but bigger. Remember, home 4k is lower resolution than properly projected 4k.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on March 13, 2016 at 12:14 am

I feel the current sound system and the digital projected images are very superb already. Just can’t imagine how amazing the new laser system will be, lol.

BTW, which row you guys prefer at the IMAX auditorium, I’m kind of switching back and forth between row I and H, and still can’t tell which row is better.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 11, 2016 at 3:23 am

Thank god for watching movies at home where you can lower the volume to an acceptable level. My ears are very sensitive to real sound rather than movie theater sound such as crying babies and fire alarms and thunderstorms. If Laser IMAX surround sound sounds like real life I’ll go for standard surround sound.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on March 11, 2016 at 12:11 am

The new Laser IMAX speakers do sound incredibly realistic but good grief are they loud.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on March 11, 2016 at 12:10 am

The new audio system in the Laser IMAX places is wayyyyyy too loud. It’s ridiculous. A lot of theaters are getting to be ridiculous. People have been measuring permanent hearing damage from a single two hour movie length exposure at more and more places, especially IMAX. Some places have hit AVERAGE of 100db and peaks like 130+db.

MrReindeer
MrReindeer on March 10, 2016 at 9:25 pm

LS now has Captain America: Civil War listed for IMAX 3D (so not 70mm) starting May 5, following “The Ultimate Captain America Marathon” (which doesn’t appear to be in the IMAX theater).

mhvbear
mhvbear on March 9, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Not recliners but they are getting new seating. Probably similar to the Chelsea.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on March 9, 2016 at 3:26 am

I remember someone in this forum said the recliners will be installed in the IMAX auditorium during the laser renovation.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on March 9, 2016 at 2:46 am

according to a AMC manager. Kips Bay is next for reliners. He said the 19th Street won’t get it do to the building being old

amcbayplaza13
amcbayplaza13 on March 9, 2016 at 2:03 am

I don’t see AMC installing recliners at Lincoln Square 13 and who said about this theater is gonna have recliners ?

mhvbear
mhvbear on March 9, 2016 at 1:05 am

I don’t see AMC installing recliners at the Lincoln Square. With the business this theater does, the last thing they would want to do is decrease the seating capacity. The reason the AMC installed recliners in the 84th Street and Village 7 is that these theaters were not high performing.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on March 8, 2016 at 9:52 pm

I’m honestly surprised you don’t have the exact day that those seats were installed. You have a calendar with that information don’t you. Since your posts are always so accurate and relevant.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 8, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I can’t wait until LS gets recliners like its sister theater, the 84th street six, did a few years ago, in all of its screens.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on March 8, 2016 at 4:57 am

Giles- I will certainly prefer the 12-channel sound system over Dolby Atmos. I heard it’s much more powerful than the current digital IMAX sound system. Can’t wait to experience it.

Giles
Giles on March 8, 2016 at 3:47 am

waterguy56 – I’ll be very curious what your thoughts are on IMAX’s new 12-channel sound system (if and when the system debuts with the conversion to laser), while it’s not as great as Dolby Atmos, it’s a definite improvement in terms of competing with Atmos and standard 7.1 surround sound.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on March 8, 2016 at 1:41 am

That’s true. Only BvS(shot in IMAX camera, show in 70mm, and about 25mins of the scenes will fill the entire screen) and A beautiful Planet(in 70mm, but somehow I heard it will not fill the entire screen because it was shot in Canon Digital Camera, so probably 1.85:1?)will be the true IMAX experience at LS13 this year. But this kind of film is just so rare too see. All the others are just fake/digital IMAX. But they are still better than the screens downstairs. IMAX is just better in many ways(sound, brightness, resolution….)

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on March 7, 2016 at 11:49 pm

Hello-

this past weekend I saw Zootopia in IMAX-3D which I thoroughly enjoyed. to which a question. the only movie I have seen in this theater whether just IMAX
or IMAZ-3D that filled the entire screen was Fantasia 2000 released in Feb. of that year. the section of the screen taken up by Zootopia seemed using my eye as a no bigger than the screen of the Loew’s auditorium downstairs. in other words I don’t see the point of showing a film in this auditorium unless it fills the entire screen.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on March 7, 2016 at 2:15 pm

A poster of A beautiful Planet was actually inside the IMAX auditorium hallway when I went there yesterday. This should indicate they are going to show it.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on March 5, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Thanks xbs2034. very excited to hear what you just said. Can’t wait to “board the international space station” lol. another thing I like about the laser system is the recliner chair. I believe the experience(space, BvS fighting scenes) would be much better with those chairs' “shaking devices”.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on March 5, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I would assume A Beautiful Planet will play at Lincoln Square. I checked and it isn’t going to be playing at the Museum of Natural History right away (as I’ve said, this follows the typical roll-out of IMAX produced documentaries which usually play multiplexes first and museums later) and if they are going through all the expense of creating and projecting a print for the premiere, don’t see why they wouldn’t also use it for a one week run. And yes these documentaries typically are 1.44 for the entire runtime and some of the best IMAX experiences.

Actually one thing which really excites me about the laser system beyond the sound is a 24/7 remote monitoring system which will constantly check for any projection or sound errors (even ones which could be upcoming). I’ve seen a couple showings with issues in the digital IMAX years, and this should solve that and ensure the best presentation whenever possible.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on March 5, 2016 at 12:52 pm

70mm > laser! Except the sound system maybe. I checked Eileen Campbell’s message, she only said the premiere of A Beautiful Planet will be hosted at LS13. does this also mean they are going to show it for one week before Civil War? I hope they will do it, this film will be 1.44:1 ratio for the whole 45 mins right? Must be amazing to see at Ls13.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on March 5, 2016 at 3:16 am

Also, as I expected, Eileen Campbell has confirmed A Beautiful Planet will indeed play in 70mm IMAX at Lincoln Square. She specifically mentions that and BvS when saying why they reinstalled the 70mm projector, so Civil War and others will likely be in digital.