AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

moviebuff82 on June 11, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Looks like id4 resurgence will be playing in digital imax. Wonder if suicide squad will be in 2k imax 3d or perhaps they’ll wait until fall when Sully comes out in laser imax.

xbs2034 on June 3, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Yes, the IMAX here has never had masking (actually that’s pretty common of IMAX screens in general, but sadly even some multiplex screens are not masked anymore).

It wasn’t as big an issue until Fall 2013 when they put the digital projectors in and presentations became windowboxed, and since digital was supposed to just be a stop gap solution until laser, they never seemed to want invest in crating a masking system for that screen (though it’s been almost three years since the transition to IMAX digital)

digital3d on June 3, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Exactly! At least close the masking. But I doubt there is any as they did play 70mm for a while and ate planning on laser which is, I think, filling up the whole screen. But for regular digital showings it is very annoying. I might even prefer some random Multiplex to that, as they at least close the masking.

Mikeoaklandpark on June 3, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Digital 3d I totally understand. In 1999 and 2014 I saw the 60th and 75th anniversary screenings of Gone With The Wind and both times it was a 16 mm print on a huge screen opened for scope presentations. It was annoying as hell. My opinion they could have at least closed the masking to 1.85 ratio.

digital3d on June 1, 2016 at 8:22 pm

I’ve been to the IMAX here again and it just makes me upset how they only use the center of the screen. Especially during the credits you can see how it’s just a big image in the middle of a giant screen. I’ve never seen the whole screen here being used. I also can’t image how huge that would be.

poland626 on June 1, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Gone for a while, I’ve been going since early 2008 or so and that’s not been there for a while.

poland626 on June 1, 2016 at 8:05 pm

No, that stuff with the flying over nyc is gone. It’s SOMETIMES just an usher saying the showing is sold out or something, or a voiceover, then the intro video that’s like 15-30 seconds, then the trailer’s/movie starts.

xbs2034 on May 31, 2016 at 9:20 pm

I don’t remember all of that (I was in elementary school at that time after all) but do remember the usher announcing the show as well as doing something at the end in the early days of this IMAX theater. But they dropped that stuff a long time ago, I think at least since the IMAX transitioned into mostly showing Hollywood movies rather than the IMAX exclusive nature/science films.

Only thing now is the short IMAX logo intro you would also get at Kips Bay, Empire 25, or most IMAX sites.

moviebuff82 on May 31, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Do they still have a imax light show before the movie? I remember when I went to see Across the sea of time they had such a thing. After that, they had a guy, perhaps an usher, announcing the movie and then they showed a brief film showing mr. big screen that ended with a flyover of New York City.

digital3d on May 30, 2016 at 11:40 am

It still stands out of other multiplex theaters because of the design. Especially NYC doesn’t really have much art in the theaters. Magic Johnson and maybe 34th St are the only theaters besides Lincoln Square that I know of that have special artwork inside.

moviebuff82 on May 30, 2016 at 11:16 am

When the theater first opened it was a technological marvel with all the bells and whistles of a modern multiplex. Nowadays it’s thriving but not doing as much business as the Times Square theaters. Still a good place to hold East Coast premieres now that the Ziegfeld is closed.

poland626 on May 28, 2016 at 12:43 am

haha that profile pic is great because I think corky romano came out in 2000/2001. That’s a really, REALLY old photo.

moviebuff82 on May 15, 2016 at 4:26 pm

profile pic changed…i love the escalator…i hope they don’t change the mural….it’s classic…

moviebuff82 on May 14, 2016 at 9:57 am

What a shame….

waterguy56 on May 13, 2016 at 8:04 am

@Sadash, laser renovation will begin sometime around late summer according to the IMAX chief marketing officer who said in Twitter, may be delayed again, who knows.

xbs2034 on May 12, 2016 at 2:26 pm

moviebuff82, advanced IMAX tickets for Warcraft are already on-sale for Lincoln Square, so not sure why you don’t think it is playing in IMAX.

The only thing is the IMAX fan event is being done at AMC Empire 25 instead.

moviebuff82 on May 12, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Warcraft is not playing in imax.

Ssdash on May 10, 2016 at 9:09 pm

What’s the latest update on the expected installation of the Laser projector? no hope for civil war I presume but would love to see Rogue One in the format.

moviebuff82 on May 10, 2016 at 3:46 pm

No recliners at this theater, though.

xbs2034 on May 9, 2016 at 6:03 pm

I believe the IMAX, balcony in the Loews, and three screens in the basement have stadium seating.

mhvbear on May 9, 2016 at 12:33 pm

No stadium in the orchestra seating of the Loews. Probably stadium seating in the balcony section. But never sat up there.

moviebuff82 on May 9, 2016 at 11:55 am

Isn’t the Loews the only one with stadium seating besides the imax theater in this venue?

digital3d on May 7, 2016 at 4:44 pm

“I actually was going to see Everybody Wants Some here a few weeks ago and when I arrived the showing had been cancelled so they could host a NYC premiere that night”

Fair point, but couldn’t you say that about any advance screening in general?

Maybe they should take one auditorium in 68th and just reserve it for premieres. 68th st is a nice venue which I think could work very well for premieres. The Loews theater foe example has balcony so stars could sit there.

xbs2034 on May 7, 2016 at 3:56 pm

I agree, doing a premiere in a multiplex which is showing other movies (I actually was going to see Everybody Wants Some here a few weeks ago and when I arrived the showing had been cancelled so they could host a NYC premiere that night) just isn’t the same as having a movie palace all to itself.

I would think the Paris theater would be a better option, but studios rarely seem to use that location, and I imagine if studios aren’t happy with Lincoln Square for premieres, they may look for special venues like Batman v Superman did with Radio City, or host it in a different city.

alpinedownhiller on May 7, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Sadly, Ziegfeld won’t be showing any movies, never mind premieres anymore.

A Jan 28th showing of The Force Awakens was the last movie it ever showed. :( Another big palace trashed by a developer. Studios not happy as it was the poshest place by far and they had been trying to do more premieres in NYC again. Even a couple years ago one I was in got switched late in the game from Ziegfeld to LS.