AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex

260 E. Highway 4,
Paramus, NJ 07652

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on December 8, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Every time I look at those photographs I get very sad, as I remember what a true cinematic experience used to be like. On top of that, they also bring back memories of friends and family now long gone, who I had shared special times with there. I still find it hard to accept the fact that it’s gone, well, not gone yet, but closed. :(

photoman1001
photoman1001 on December 8, 2008 at 9:21 am

those photo’s are from me. The link is closed because there wasnt any hits.

95Crash
95Crash on December 8, 2008 at 6:39 am

MikeP, can you repost the link to where you found that photo and all the others? I went back to what I thought was the original link, but I can’t find the photos.

supermp2
supermp2 on December 7, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Just saw The new Punisher movie at the Menlo 12 this weekend aand after reviewing the photos of the tenplex someone took I can confirm the theatre style is an near exact match right down to the carpet. The tenplex may have not originally been a Cineplex Odeon but it looks like they did most of the latter work there. Here’s one the pics of the tenplex that was posted. If you miss the 10 plex as I do and have yet to visit the Menlo park 12 you should. Your immediate reaction will probably be the same as mine, “I’m home.”

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 15, 2008 at 1:50 pm

In Burn After Reading, there is a prediction of things to come…a fitness center on busy Route 4 in Paramus, where it was really shot. It’s called Hardbodies, and in reality the Coen Brothers used the former Tower Records store on Route 17, not Route 4 as some people might think, as a stand in for the fitness center. The only gym in Paramus right now is a Gold’s Gym, and when the new fitness center, opens, it will give Gold’s a run for its money. However that might change in a tightening economy.

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on September 3, 2008 at 9:17 am

I’ll have to check out the Menlo Park 12 one too. There’s just nothing around here that has the same feel of the Tenplex, or the screen size of theater 1 there. I find myself going into NYC much more often these days to see movies, due to there still being a few classic theaters left there. I completely agree with Justin’s comment above that the Tenplex will be remembered long after it’s gone. It breaks my heart every time I pass by and see it all shuttered up with wood where the doors and front windows used to be. If only the town of Paramus would have stepped in to prevent it from becoming more retail space, or another gym as many have said it will become. I’m still furious that it was a done deal before anyone even knew it was officially closing. I had two separate independent theater owners who wanted to lease the property, but unfortunately, the same people who own the property the Tenplex resides on also own the former Bergen Mall site. They had already made their decision about what was going to replace the Tenplex and they didn’t have any interest in keeping it a movie theater. If it was a little older, I could have gotten it designated as a historical location, but it just misses the 50 year old cut-off. Why they couldn’t at least turn it into a local theater for plays and musicals, I don’t know. There are so many better uses for the property than a gym or another retail store. Well, I guess it’s just typical of the modern day NJ, where everything is replaceable, as long as it gets some local politician a kickback from a developer. Remember, the mayor of Paramus was dead set against a new theater at the mall, and the closing of the Tenplex. All of a sudden he flipflopped on the whole issue. I wonder what could have caused that?lol

95Crash
95Crash on September 3, 2008 at 5:58 am

Thanks for the tip on the Menlo Park 12, MikeP. I’ll have to check it out sometime.

JeffS
JeffS on September 3, 2008 at 4:57 am

“The Stanley Warner Route 4 Theatre showed lots of great movies in 70mm, and started as a single screen.”

And a HUGE single screen at that!

supermp2
supermp2 on September 3, 2008 at 4:48 am

Of all the theatres I’ve been to since the tenplex closed Menlo had the closest feel (for me anyway), that’s pretty much all I was saying. The tenplex itself was and always will be my all-time favorite theatre. It accounted for probably 90% of moviegoing experience over the course of 30 years until it closed.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on September 2, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Except the AMC Loews Menlo Park 12 was always a “Cineplex Odeon” theatre, whereas the former AMC Loews Paramus Rout 4 10 Theatre started out as a “Stanley Warner” theatre.

The Cineplex Odeon/AMC Loews Menlo Park 12 Theatre is a 1990’s 12-plex that replaced another great theatre, the General Cinema Menlo Park Twin Theatre (opened as Cinema Menlo Park), which also show great 70mm films.

supermp2
supermp2 on September 2, 2008 at 4:51 pm

For anyone missing this thatre I recommend the Menlo Park 12 if you’re in the vicinity. It also used to be a cineplex Odeon and for the most part is still contructed like one.

Menlo link on this site: /theaters/14451/

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 2, 2008 at 2:36 pm

when it will be demolished…btw, paramus has enough gyms around. This was Paramus' cinema version of Yankee Stadium, and like the new Yankee Stadium, the old Paramus theater will still be remembered more than the one attached to a big mall.

larry
larry on August 22, 2008 at 11:11 am

The place is an eyesore…should be demolished!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 19, 2008 at 3:21 pm

This theater was one of a few in America to show the original Star Wars and its sequels, which were rereleased so many times at this theater, and the prequels, of which Episode I was digitally shown (despite being shot on 35mm).

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 16, 2008 at 5:29 pm

BTW, when is 24 Hr Fitness scheduled to open? There was an online petition to save the tenplex but sadly it’s now going to be transformed into more retail for Paramus, which is always changing but has very few open space. There are no signs of Native American life around Paramus, hence there were few back when the theater opened in the 60’s.

supermp2
supermp2 on June 26, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Awful! I could half live with it if it something fun that I could go to. A health club? One dimensional and not my cup of tea. On a side note even though I’ve “adjusted” to the GS 16, I still find myself missing the 10 plex. Even though I loved the 10 plex when it was around only now does it really shine how perfect it was for me. When I wanted to go see a movie, there was never a doubt I’d be going to the ten plex. Now I find myself deciding between THREE theatres (Clifton Commons, Lowes Wayne & the GS 16) depending on what I’m looking for.

95Crash
95Crash on June 25, 2008 at 7:17 am

24 Hour Fitness.

95Crash
95Crash on June 6, 2008 at 9:45 am

I recently heard that a huge health club is going to go up on this property.

rhett
rhett on May 26, 2008 at 4:39 am

Chris….the bulldozer was doing stuff in the surrounding property…however, that was a year ago and I haven’t been there since…I think we can write the place off…another treasure buried.

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on May 25, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Rhett39, was the small bulldozer doing any work on the actual building or just the surrounding property? Every time I see the Tenplex I feel it could still be brought back to its former glory in a short period of time, though I’m sure it would cost a pretty penny. I’m sure it’s not that bad inside right now, as it’s been sealed off from the elements since it closed. I still find it hard to believe it’s been closed that long. I saw all the original Star Wars films there. Watching blockbusters in the newer factory style theaters is just not the same, exspecially since their screens are all so narrow compared to the wide ones at the Tenplex, and the stadium seating doesn’t help. People start feeling like they’re at home in that seating arrangement and talk, talk, talk. The old style makes you feel more like you’re actually out at a real theater, similar to a Broadway theater.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 25, 2008 at 1:02 pm

And one year ago today that it closed down. The night before it closed, it showed its last new movie, Pirates 3, before digital versions of the movie played on 2 screens at its successor. Had it been alive, it would be 43 years old. I guess it’s now all dust and bugs and mold that adorn this former Cinema Treasure.

rhett
rhett on May 25, 2008 at 6:22 am

I walked by there not too long ago, just for nostalgia. It’s boarded up but still intact although a small bulldozer was doing work. I miss that theater especially that it was 31 years ago today, May 25, 1977 that STAR WARS opened there.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 17, 2008 at 12:20 pm

from what i read on cinema retro, a lowes will be built where this theater stands.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 13, 2008 at 7:48 am

my bad. the paramus picture show is also retail, not a concert hall. The Route 4 tenplex should become a performing arts/concert/meeting venue, although that title goes to the BergenPAC in Englewood. Maybe a hotel or motel would be nice, probably a Hilton.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 13, 2008 at 7:35 am

before it gets quarantined or salvaged for more parking space, much the same way the tenplex’s sister theater had as well as the old drive-in. Or it could be used for more retail, much like the fate of the old theater inside the Bergen Mall, or perhaps an arts center, since the Paramus Picture Show is mostly now used for rock music and concerts. Was this theater the first theater in Paramus' history? At the time, Paramus had the strip mall cinema, the Route 4 theater, the one on 17, the one at the Bergen Mall, and the drive-in, making Paramus the movie-going destination in Bergen County at a time when attendance was bigger than it is today. Another town that should improve its shopping is Wayne, which desperately needs an improved movie theater.