Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

EcRocker
EcRocker on January 26, 2009 at 6:13 pm

718-563 2222 is a phone number for the theatre i found on the ripoff report site. It is a working number and I spoke to a guy who said he was the sales manager and that they are in the process of booking shows for the spring and summer. For whatever reason though the web site is not functioning.

When I saw the restored interior of the Paradise I was taken a back because it looks almost identicle to the former Loews 46th st in Brooklyn. The big difference is that the Paradise is restored and the 46th st is still a friggin furniture store.

And for some of you who posted links on here most of them are no longer working.

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on January 1, 2009 at 10:30 am

There was the Bronx Democratic Cavalcade Of Comedy in late Sept.

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on January 1, 2009 at 9:50 am

Translated by Google

CAN get what you needed. On Sunday 31 August, 2008 in “The Paradise Theater.” 2403 Grand Concourse esq. 187 St. Bronx, NY 10468. Near Forhand Road. The International Preacher with Neil Velez, FATHER TEOFILO RODRIGUEZ, JOHN Father Mario Montoya, FLAVINHO, Missionaries of Jesus, the involvement of youth groups, there will be a ‘THEATER OF THE MINISTRY MOJ, Dance, and so much more.
Especially now that the Holy Spirit, moving in your life and your heart to bless, heal, rejuvenate, free and give you peace that you need in the name of Jesus. For more information click: http://www.misionerosdejesus.org

beardbear31
beardbear31 on December 31, 2008 at 11:47 pm

I would assume Bwayniteowl’s source would be on the banner in Lost Memory’s recently posted picture of the Paradise…“domingo de milagros” translates to “Sunday of miracles” and the picture of the preacher and audience on the banner strongly points to that also

stevebob
stevebob on December 31, 2008 at 4:07 pm

“It would appear …” from what? For the benefit of those of us to whom that comes as news, what’s the source of your information?

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on December 31, 2008 at 3:27 pm

It would appear that the theatre has been rented on occasion by a fundmentalist group to hold services and healings in.

Raiders77
Raiders77 on December 10, 2008 at 4:16 pm

They have only been holding concerts and boxing matches since they reopened a few years ago.

matthewparisi
matthewparisi on December 10, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Do they ever show classic films?
It’s a lot less money to lose.

Raiders77
Raiders77 on December 10, 2008 at 3:54 pm

MPol, thanks for the advice. I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of NY. Hopefully they have better luck than I had dealing with the theater.

Raiders77
Raiders77 on December 10, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Raiders77
Raiders77 on December 10, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on December 10, 2008 at 7:16 am

Unfortunately this particular type of business can attract the unscrupulous. The business is rife with tales of this sort. “The Producers” is not really a work of fiction. The phrase “earning your nut” goes back to the same, well known behavior. The majority of promoters and managers are hard working business people but there are always a few. It’s one reason why there are entertainment unions.

MPol
MPol on December 9, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Btw—have you thought about contacting the Better Business Bureau as well? Just curious. Again, all the best of luck to you. Hope you get this situation straightened out…and soon.

MPol
MPol on December 9, 2008 at 6:42 pm

That’s a shame, VJD. Sorry about your awful experience! They should’ve refunded your money, no questions asked, right away, when the concert you’d purchased tickets for got cancelled. $150.00,
especially nowadays, isn’t exactly peanuts, either. Too bad that such a beautiful-looking theatre is presently managed by such nasty, dishonest people! As some people say; create a monster and it’ll eventually turn on you. It sounds as if that’s where these venal managers are headed, if that’s the way they operate. Although I don’t reside in the Bronx, or in the NY area generally, here’s hoping that decent, honest people take charge of that theatre…and soon.

Btw: It looks like a perfect movie palace for the great, golden oldie-but-goody classic films.

Raiders77
Raiders77 on December 9, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Thank you for the advice Warren. I have contacted NYC 311 and the consumers affairs department but they just keep givng me the run around and send me to different agencies. I may contact the NYS Attorney General to see if they can be of any help.

Raiders77
Raiders77 on December 8, 2008 at 5:20 pm

The managers of the Paradise Theater are all liars and crooks. I purchased 2 tickets at the theater’s box office for the Tego Calderon concert that was cancelled on 5/24/08. The tickets totaled $150 and they have refused to give me my money back because they said “the promoter stole the money.” We all know this is a lie since numerous promoters have not been paid by the theater for their services. Everytime I call the theater they say “someone will call you back” but they never do. The manager Corey Weissman even promised me “2 tickets and VIP passes for one of our 15 upcoming fall shows” instead of reimbursing my money. Of course they have not had any shows since the cancelled concert back in May. I would like to hear from anybody else who has experienced the same problems with the theater and what the outcome was. They will eventually be sued and lose their jobs because you can’t mess with as many people that they have without having it come back to bite you in the behind. Hopefully honest business people will take over the theater and the owner/managers can go back to begging for change on the Grand Concourse.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 3, 2008 at 9:00 am

WOW! It sure didn’t look like that when I saw Rodney Dangerfield in “Easy Money” there in 1983. The fourplexing looked like a lot of sheetrock put up inside the shell of the theater, covering up the glorious interior which I’m seeing for the first time in this photo.

What were they thinking back then? Anyway, we should just be grateful that the theater has been restored. If they ever show movies again, I’m there.

EMarkisch
EMarkisch on December 3, 2008 at 6:20 am

Thanks Warren for the great 1971 image of the Paradise from LIFE. However, the caption reads “Ornate interior of Loew’s Paradise Theater on 175th St.” instead of “…..on the Grand Concourse”. Have found that the accuracy of a lot of the LIFE captions often leave much to be desired.

beardbear31
beardbear31 on December 3, 2008 at 12:18 am

great picture Warren!

sandpiper
sandpiper on November 19, 2008 at 1:56 pm

I saw the comments above about the neighborhood being a disadvantage and have to strongly disagree. If anything, this theater has a huge advantage, particularly if the right promoter comes in and starts promoting rock and pop shows. The theater is six blocks from the Fordham stop on two separate lines for Metro-North. The Harlem Line, which runs all through Westchester and Putnam counties, and the New Haven Line, which runs through southeastern Connecticut. This is a rock-and-roll goldmine. Hundreds of thousands of college-aged kids living and/or going to school in these exurbs who would love to hop on a train and take it to Fordham, thereby spending less than it would take to go all the way into Grand Central, to see their favorite band at this magnificent venue that blows the overpriced Beacon away. And, if they went to see a show at Irving Plaza or the Gramercy, they’d have to spend another 4 bucks on the subway. Here, they can just walk. It would also be a boon to Fordham Road, as they would patronize the restaurants along that strip pre-show.

Recently there was a boomlet of rock venues opened in Manhattan – Highline, United Palace, Blender at Gramercy, Coda. Too many venues in too small a space, and Coda already went out of business as a result. The Paradise would stand out by being the only venue like it in the Bronx and that much easier to get to for people from the north and east. And you can still get there from Brooklyn and Manhattan on the 4, B, and D.

The Allmans always make a big deal out of their March residency at the Beacon, but I know several people who won’t go there anymore because of security and management. If you can get another big band to establish a residency at the Paradise, and pay attention to the details so the customers feel like it is a real “experience,” there is no reason for this venue not to succeed.

Well, except for the recession.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on October 15, 2008 at 11:14 am

Warren, I stopped by the theatre yesterday. There was no sign of life, just a notice on the box office window stating that the fall schedule will be coming soon. Maybe their referring to the fall of 2009?

JimmyD
JimmyD on October 7, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Any chance they might show movies here again for special shows like the Loew’s Jersey does?

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on October 1, 2008 at 5:35 pm

The other side of the story from the promoters.

Damon Van Dyke
“I promoted a show at Utopia Paradise Theater last year on Friday, Aug. 10,2007 titled Tribute to The Furious Five. To this date I have yet to receive any monies from my event. I am presently suing the Utopia for payment.”

Heart and Soul
“that has also been victimized by the unethical practices of the current management.”

Intimidated Promoter
“two crooks”

Bway
Bway on September 25, 2008 at 9:12 am

As far as concerts go, $40-$100 isn’t bad. However, yes, they should have some “cheap” stuff, such as classic films or stuff, mixed in.

movieguy
movieguy on September 23, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Concerts are a fine draw, but with ticket prices from $40.00 to $100.00+ the Paradie needs to have tower priced events.Classic films from the 40’s 70’s would be a good draw.