Showing 76 - 100 of 685 comments
There were two completely different drive-ins in Moab. The Hill Top Drive-In was at 1101 Murphy Lane. The Grand Vu Drive-In was at 1382 Mill Creek Drive, as shown in the heading. Both drive-ins are visible on Google Earth using 1997 imagery, or even more visible on the Historic Aerials website using 1961 imagery.
The Grand Vu lasted longer. The Hilltop was slightly larger at 250 car, while the Grand Vu is listed as 214.
Logan Drive-In and Cache Drive-In were two completely different drive-ins located in the same town.
Cache Drive-In appears in varoius theatre catalogs from 1952-70. It had a capacity of 500 cars according to 1962 IMPA. The owner in 1962 is listed as Harris-Voeller Theatres.
The address in the heading is for the Cache Drive-In.
Logan Drive-In was at 2002 South Hwy 89/91, Logan, UT 84321, just north of Comfort Inn. If you check out Google Earth street view, the bottom part of the screen tower is still standing. Ramps are still vaguely visible in current imagery, and the drive-in can be viewed on Historic Aerials website using 1959 imagery. Logan Drive-In appears in varoius theatre catalogs from 1948-70. It had a capacity of 300 cars according to 1962 IMPA. The owner in 1962 is listed as Elmer H. Brown.
1969 IMPA has it at 300 cars.
The Price Motor Vu and the Sunset Drive-In were two completely different drive-ins.
The Motor Vu was located inside city limits at 710 E Main, Price, UT 84501. The drive-in is visible on the Historic Aerials website using 1962-72 imagery. Now occupied by C J’s Do it Center Hardware Store. The Motor Vu could accommodate 350 cars according to the 1962 International Motion Picture Almanac. The Motor Vu began being listed in various theatre catalogs in 1955.
The Sunset was located west of Price, on the way to Carbonville, at 1633 N Carbonville Rd, Price, UT 84501. The Sunset could hold 260 cars according to the 1962 International Motion Picture Almanac. The Sunset began being listed in theatre catalogs in 1950.
In 1962-65 IMPA catalogs both drive-ins were listed as being owned by a Joe Santi.
After a closer look at the 1963 aerial photo, the Fly-In Drive-In #2 had it’s own screen and parking area closer to the runway. The landing strip may have been able to serve both drive-ins, as they were less than half a mile away from each other. It’s hard to tell if both drive-ins were operating simultaneously, so more research will need to be done on a local level.
This drive-in begins appearing in Film Daily Yearbook in 1958 as Fly-In Drive-In #2, owned by Walter Reade Theatres, which coincidentally also owned the other Fly-In Drive-In in Farmingdale. By 1966, it is referred to as Manahawkin Drive-In in Film Daily Yearbook.
If you look at aerial photos from 1963, you will notice the landing strip west of the drive-in, along with a couple of pathways between the drive-in and the landing strip.
More of a novelty than anything, this was one of very few Fly-In Drive-Ins to be built.
This drive-in was listed in the 1952 Film Daily Yearbook, so it likely opened that year. The 1953 aerial photo confirms it was open no later than 1953.
1701 Crown Point Rd
West Deptford, NJ 08086
1000 N Pearl StBridgeton, NJ 08302
NJ-35 at Victory PlazaSouth Amboy, NJ 08879
This may have gone by the name Holiday Drive-In during its final years from 1960-65.
The address given above is incorrect. That is the address for the Joy Drive-In, which is a completely different drive-in, located in the same town.
Hand’s Drive-In was built by Edgar Hand, and was open as early as 1946. It was originally called just “Drive-In” or “Minden Drive-In.” When the newer Joy Drive-In opened in 1952, the name of the older drive-in was changed that same year from “Minden Drive-In” to “Hand’s Drive-In,” probably to avoid public confusion between the two drive-ins near Minden.
It is uncertain exactly when Hand’s Drive-In closed, but it stops appearing in theatre catalogs around 1958. Minden was probably not big enough to support both drive-ins, and Joy Drive-In was located five miles closer to town, plus it may have had better facilities being a newer drive-in.
The correct address for Hand’s Drive-In was:
US-80 at Syrup Mill Rd
Minden, LA 71055
The drive-in was about five miles west of town, on what used to be referred to as Shreveport Highway, but is now US-80.
HERE is an aerial photo of the drive-in from 1949, courtesy of USGS & Earth Explorer.
The property is currently undeveloped and overgrown. An outline of the drive-in is still barely visible on Google Earth, along with the vague shape of parking ramps. No structures remain on the property.
My suggestion is to list this drive-in under “AMITE DRIVE-IN” with a notation for Previous Names as Mixon’s Drive-In. It spent most of it’s life operating as the Amite Drive-In.
The owner’s name was Neil Mixon, it was misspelled as “Nixon” in the 1951 theatre catalog, but spelled Mixon in the 1952 catalog.
Neal Mixon was the owner in 1951. By 1962, the ownership had changed hands to Joe Baiamontet. By 1965,the car capacity was increased from 100 to 210, and Donald J. Dieterich is listed as the owner.
Since the car capacity (100 cars) for the Mixon’s Drive-In was the exact same number in theatre catalogs for the Amite Drive-In from 1951 to 1964, it is probably a safe assumption that the Amite Drive-In was the same as the Mixon’s Drive-In, and that the name changed under new ownership sometime between 1955 and 1960. It would not be unusual for theatre catalogs to list the same drive-ins under both names, when a name change occurs.
The address in the heading is incorrect. THE MIDWAY DRIVE-IN was on U.S. 90 in Westlake, “midway” between Lake Charles and Sulphur.
E Naoleon St at Walcott Rd
Westlake, LA 70669
Informative News Article
4725 Greenwood Rd
Shreveport, LA 71109
Front of the drive-in property is now occupied by LaFitte Cinema.
The “F” in LaFitte Drive-In should be capitalized.
Site is now an Albertson’s.
402 S Range Ave
Denham Springs, LA 70726
Ville Ste Marie Senior Living – Assisted Living Facility4112 Jefferson HwyNew Orleans, LA 70121
2958 E Texas StBossier City, LA 71111
1952 Aerial Photo courtesy of USGS & Earth Explorer.
Correct address is:
2001 Airline DrMetairie, LA 70001
Celebration Church currently occupies the property.
Yucca Drive-In was north of town. The correct address is:
N White Sands Blvd, .15 mile north of N Scenic DrAlamogordo, NM 88310
The incorrect address in the current heading is for the Starlite Drive-In, which was south of town.
There were two drive-ins in Portales, both of them on US-70. One was southwest of town, the other was northeast of town. It is not clear which one was the Varsity, or what the name of the other drive-in was. Both drive-ins appear on topo maps from 1958 to 1976. Maybe someone local to the area can offer some more information.
1945 N Grimes StHobbs, NM 88240
Please update address to:
721 Mechem DrRuidoso, NM 88345