Showing 76 - 100 of 1,562 comments
Death knell? (spelled with a k) Maybe, maybe not.
But if the Ziegfeld could talk, I’d hope it would quote Mark Twain: “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”
I notice in the photos that the marquee has recently said “Bow Tie Cinemas” but now says “A Walter Reade Theater.” What gives?
MFL = My Fair Lady.
Where did you see it?
rcdt55b, could you give some more detail about the Back to the Future screenings? I love events like that…
Lots of activity here, including Ringo Starr on October 25th and Wendy Williams on December 12th…
You joined Cinema Treasures just to post that comment? Thanks but no thanks…
What did that other line on the marquee mean — “New film each night.”
“Paint Your Wagon” is on the marquee. That’s a lot of empty seats gone unsold…!
That clip was from 1984, seven years after this house closed, but still before its legit rebirth. (The Robby Benson movie on the marquee “One on One” came out in 1977.)
I heard on another thread that BAM recently messed up the changeover on Where Eagles Dare…!
Gasp…! Not the piss elegant BAM…! Get me the smelling salts…
moviebuff, you are too discreet. Here’s the text of the linked article
Multiple People Say They Were Bitten By Bedbugs At Times Square AMC Theater
It’s 2010 all over again: multiple people claim that they have been bitten by bedbugs at the AMC Empire 25 multiplex in Times Square.
Joseph Matoske, a 28-year-old Astoria resident, and his girlfriend went to the movie theater on Friday to see (you guessed it) Ant-Man when they encountered the blood-sucking bugs. “As soon as we got home, we noticed we were both itchy and covered in huge bug bites,” he told us. He spoke to a person at the theater who “claims they’re going to close down that section of the theatre. They offered us comp tickets to any AMC location for our troubles.”
Matoske noted that the AMC employee asked him about their specific seats in theater 19. This sounds like the same strategy the company used to deal with bedbugs when that same location was overrun with them back in 2010—back then, they closed the theater-in-question down, then removed and treated specific seats where the bedbugs were spotted.
In addition to Matoske and his girlfriend, at least three other people have complained about bedbug bites there over the last week, including Cindy Feng, who posted multiple shots of her bites on Facebook.
We’ve contacted AMC for comment.
[Text of Facebook posting follows:]
Cindy Feng added 12 new photos. 110 followers · September 7 at 4:06pm · Edited ·
PLEASE BE ADVISED THERE MAY BE DISTURBING IMAGES
—-WARNING TO PEOPLE IN NEW YORK—– I’m not sure about the other locations but please please please DON’T GO TO THE TIMES SQUARE LOCATION AMC. It is called AMC Empire 25, they have many bad reviews and I was not aware of this until now. They gave me bed bugs and now I have to burn my house down and clothes. BEWARE IM TELLING YOU. Colleen Frederick
#amc #threatre #theater #disgusting #bed #bugs #gross
[End of Facebook posting]
Looks like they are they are tearing this place apart, so far the façade is down; will make some really interesting photos… (hint, hint)
Direct link to this article.
PARK SLOPE — The saga of the Pavilion Theater could have a major plot twist in the next act.
The owner of Williamsburg’s Nitehawk Cinema says he would love to take over the Pavilion after its new owners renovate it.
“I’ve always been interested in the Pavilion, even in its current state,” Nitehawk owner Matthew Viragh told DNAinfo New York. “It’s been somewhat neglected, but I’ve always thought if we could get a hold of it we could do great things.”
Viragh first approached the Pavilion’s owners around the time he opened Nitehawk, the popular Metropolitan Avenue movie theater where cinephiles dine on gourmet food and booze during screenings.
Nothing came of those talks, but Viragh spoke again to the Pavilion’s new owners, Hidrock Realty, after news broke that they plan to renovate the Pavilion and construct a five-story condo building next door.
“We reached out when we heard about the new development plans, [but] they’re not in tenant mode yet,” Viragh said. “They’re trying to get the building through the [city approvals] process.”
A Hidrock spokesman confirmed that Nitehawk is one of several contenders to take over the Pavilion, but that the developer won’t make a decision until after the development gets the approvals it needs to move forward.
“Nitehawk is absolutely under very serious consideration,” spokesman Ethan Geto said. “Hidrock thinks they would a great job.”
The Pavilion is in Park Slope’s historic district, so the Landmarks Preservation Commission has to sign off on any development there. The condos and theater renovation will also need a zoning variance that must be OKed by the city’s Board of Standards and Appeals.
The LPC recently asked Hidrock to tweak its plans after locals raised concerns about the look of the new building.
A new operator for the Pavilion would likely be a significant upgrade for the theater. The multiplex draws crowds from across Brooklyn for blockbusters, but it’s battled several problems in recent years.
The theater fought bed bug rumors in 2011, and a lack of heating forced customers to chill out during screenings in 2013. Recent online reviews have complained of malfunctioning air conditioning and dirty theaters.
Viragh has made other forays outside of Williamsburg — he recently bought a commercial building in Bushwick that he plans to rent out.
OK, here’s the latest from the Lynbrook Herald on the proposed new theater:
A Q&A about the upcoming cinemas in Lynbrook by Mary Malloy
Due to a reporting error, in the story “Future attraction: Regal Cinemas 13,” it was erroneously stated the new movie theater in Lynbrook would increase its seating by 700 seats, when, at the time, it should have read 70 seats.
Since that story, the village reports that, based on revised drawings submitted by Regal, there will actually be a reduction in the number of seats — from the current 1,605 to 1,434 — 171 fewer seats. This was done to meet distance requirements from the power lines on the north side of Merrick Road, according to the Village.
Construction of Lynbrook’s long-awaited new movie theater will begin as soon as the project gets approval from the Nassau County Industrial Development Agency, and the work will keep the local cinema closed for more than a year, according to officials with the project’s contracting firm. The IDA will review the project’s impact on businesses in the area and approve any county tax exemptions. A decision to proceed with the work is expected soon. If approved, it would begin within three months, starting with the demolition of the existing theater.
Regal hired Blumenfeld Development Group for the planning and construction of the 77-foot tall building, which will feature new leather recliners and significantly enhanced lobby and concession areas.
To clarify the plans, and to address residents’ concerns and questions, Mayor Bill Hendrick and other village officials have agreed to address their concerns. The questions were culled from a combination of social media sites and conversations with residents, and the Lynbrook/East Rockaway Herald Facebook page.
Q: The artist rendering looks huge! Will the new building be bigger in size, or just taller? How many parking spaces? Will there still be 13 screens with the 1,434 seats?
A: The building will have 171 less seats and be 4 feet taller, plus a 5-foot parapet wall in the front. No additional parking will be provided, as the theater will accommodate fewer patrons. The 13 screens and 1,434 seats are far less than the 18 screens and 3,000 seats Regal originally wanted. The existing theater has 1,605 seats.
Q: The current structure, which opened nearly a century ago, will be torn down after the project receives IDA approval. Isn’t this an historical building? Won’t this take away from the “quaint” feel of the village?
A: The building requires much maintenance and upgrades to repair roof leaks, plumbing and electric; although the building is old, it would not qualify for historical landmark status since there are no unique architectural characteristics or historic events. As far as the quaint feel, we are always sensitive to maintaining Lynbrook’s suburban atmosphere. The Village will work with the architects on the final design.
Q: Will there be other landscaping done around the property?
A: There will be additional landscaping on all four sides of the building, which include 25 large trees and over 350 small plantings.
Q: It was reported that Lynbrook would be without a movie theater for roughly 18 months. What other activities can residents take part in if they don’t want to go outside their community?
A: We have over 65 programs at Greis Park from basketball to yoga and arts and crafts! The library, too, offers an endless number of programs and resources for all ages.
Malverne always shows first-run films, just not the usual Hollywood fare.
Next time I search a movie house in Antioch, TN, I will do that.
Of course, most news reports identified the location as Nashville, so you may see how that would impact a search…
Wow, this is. Good old-fashioned second run cinema. All seats $2.00…!
But why is it listed as Hickory 8 when the front of the building says Hickory Hollow Cinemas? It took longer than it should have to locate this place via the search engine.
Two photos added — Lynbrook current and Lynbrook proposed.
New article from Lynbrook Herald:
Construction of Lynbrook’s long-awaited new movie theater will begin as soon as the project gets approval from the Nassau County Industrial Development Agency, and the work will keep the local cinema closed for more than a year, according to officials with the project’s contracting firm.
The IDA will review the project’s impact on businesses in the area and approve any county tax exemptions. A decision to proceed with the work is expected by the end of the month. If approved, it would begin within three months, starting with the demolition of the existing theater.
As reported in the Herald in April, the Lynbrook village board approved the demolition of the United Artists Lynbrook 6 theater on Merrick Road, owned and operated by Regal Cinemas, and its replacement with a state-of-the-art theater, at a cost of over $25 million. Mayor Bill Hendrick said that the new theater, which is expected to include 13 screens and 1,660 seats — seven more screens and nearly 700 more seats than the current theater — would be good news for residents and local businesses.
“Lynbrook is very lucky to get this movie theater,” Hendrick said. “I’m very happy with the plans … I think the new facility is going to be absolutely beautiful. … This is a giant leap forward in the right direction.”
According to Village Clerk John Giordano, the village’s engineering consultant and the county fire marshal are also reviewing the plans. The current structure, which opened nearly a century ago, will be torn down after the project receives IDA approval. A demolition permit is expected to be approved this fall, Giordano said.
Jerry Grewe, vice president of Regal Cinemas, said the renovation planning began over a decade ago — but didn’t include demolition of the building. “We initially planned to just renovate the current structure, but that didn’t turn out to be feasible,” he explained. “Instead, we’ll be building a new structure at the same site as the existing one.”
Regal tapped Blumenfeld Development Group for the planning and construction of the 77-foot tall building, which will feature new leather recliners and significantly enhanced lobby and concession areas. Upgrades will also be made to the small nearby Patrick Henry Park, including a new flagpole, a brick plaza and a seating area. The park is used by the village for the Christmas tree and menorah lightings, and other events.
Lynbrook will be without a movie theater for roughly 18 months, according to Seth Silver, a spokesman for Blumenfeld, and the project will be minimally invasive and will not have a large impact on traffic, according to an environmental impact survey done by VHB Engineering. Additionally, Chris Robinson, vice president of Blumenfeld, promised that the construction would not disrupt use of the park.
“The construction will not occupy any space currently occupied by the park,” Robinson said. “Instead we’ll just be renovating certain areas of the park to give it a facelift.”
Comments about this story?
I added a comment on the photo posted March 29, 2014…
A lot of move-overs and second runs in this 1934 photo:The Impatient Virgin (aka Impatient Maiden) had opened in 1932 at the Mayfair; The Racketeer (an early Carole Lombard talkie) dates from 1929; Dishonored premiered at the Rialto in 1931, and Up the River (first screen appearances of both Spencer Tracy and Humphrey Bogart) had first unspooled at the Roxy in 1930…
From the Long Island Press
Long Beach has been without a movie theater since Superstorm Sandy flooded the aisles of the Long Beach Cinemas nearly three years ago, but moviegoers have some good news coming soon.
Last year a glimmer of hope appeared when a sign was posted outside the closed venue, advising the deprived moviegoers to “Look 4 Grand Reopening.” But they still had a very long wait in store. Showtime finally arrived Wednesday, meaning Long Beach officially got its cinemas back before the Fourth of July.
“I think we’re very much the symbol of what was destroyed when Sandy came,” said Seth Pilevsky, co-president of Philips International, which owns the cinemas. “We want to open strong and stay open.”
Not only will the cinema be re-opened, but it will be revitalized. New 3D and digital projectors, as well as larger leather cushion seats, will be added to the four-screen theater at the corner of East Park Avenue and Long Beach Boulevard.
The delays have been frustrating for the owners and moviegoers alike.
“It took over a year to get any money from the insurance company,” said Pilevsky. “We had to fight to get the money for the theater.”
But now, with the cinemas’ reopening, the City by the Sea can continue to move on from the devastation leftover by the 2012 superstorm.
Aside from symbolizing the city’s restoration, with the cinema’s return Long Beach natives will finally once again be able to save a lot of unnecessary travel time to movie theaters farther away.
“It’s another positive step in for our city’s recovery and yet another sign that Long Beach continues to move forward,” said City Councilman Anthony Eramo. “My wife and I are looking forward to taking our kids to the Long Beach theater for the first time since Sandy.”
His colleagues agreed.
“This has been a long time coming,” observed City Councilman Scott J. Mandel. “Having our movie theater back is a real boost to the community and a great symbol of Long Beach’s comeback.”
Long Beach moviegoers couldn’t agree more.
“I’m very excited about the theater coming back,” said Dan Bulger, a Long Beach native. “We won’t have to travel all the way to Rockville Center anymore and even have the option of walking there using the boardwalk again.”
Opened today. Details to follow…
And how to push the button to close the frikkin curtain…