Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 976 - 1,000 of 1,122 comments

William
William on February 9, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Max , your friend is pulling your leg about the matter. The Dome and ArcLight plex is save from being torn down. As for the films there might be less bookings or longer waits for them to return.

delta
delta on February 9, 2007 at 11:55 am

The Pictureville Cinema at the National Media Museum in Bradford, England, shows the three-trip original Cinerama movie, ‘This is Cinerama’ at 1.30pm on the first Saturday of each month. They are also showing ‘How The West Was Won’, during the Bradford Film Festival next month. Pictureville is the only cinema in the world which has regular performances of three-strip and 70mm versions of Cinerama. Why not visit our country instead of the USA, you will be pleased with what you find!

mfuhlendorf
mfuhlendorf on February 9, 2007 at 10:30 am

Hello.

I’ve always wanted to plan my first visit to Hollywood according to the schedule of the Cinerama Dome (I live in Brazil). It’s been a dream of mine to see a movie in 3-strip Cinerama at least once, since I’m too young to have seen those in Brazil.

A friend of mine is there now, and he told me people at the theater (employees) told him it was not going to show Cinerama 3-strip films anymore, and that it would be demolished this year! I think he’s pulling my leg, but if there’s any truth in this I’d really like to know… It’d be shameful to the history of cinema.

Thanks,

Max M. Fuhlendorf
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 19, 2007 at 12:19 am

You’re right, JSA. That’s a pilgrimage I would really love to make. I’m surprised it hasn’t played there for more than 11 years.

JSA
JSA on January 18, 2007 at 8:32 pm

Not that it matters much, but a 70 mm print of “2001” also screened at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center in Long Beach on October 1996.

Bill: You, EdSolero, andreco and the other NY area CT members that have “2001” in high regard should make the “pilgrimage” to LA next time it screens at the Dome!

Regards,
JSA

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 18, 2007 at 12:14 am

Oh wait – for the 7th time at the Dome. 8th time in L.A., though.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 18, 2007 at 12:12 am

Wow, Michael – another first-rate job. I really hope the Cinerama Dome plays “2001” again soon, for the 8th time!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 17, 2007 at 10:16 pm

Will there be an Arclight-like theater in the New Jersey area? The Rockaway theater that just opened doesn’t look at all like the theater in California!!! Probably the new Xanadu 26 theater should be like the Arclight.

JSA
JSA on January 17, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Michael,

Thanks for posting the link! As always, great information!
I’m going to repeat myself, but I think a single-strip Cinerama retrospective at the Dome would be a cool event. But other that “2001”, “It’s a Mad, Mad… World” & “Grand Prix”, what other titles have available prints?

JSA

Coate
Coate on January 17, 2007 at 9:12 pm

Here’s a link to a list of the Cinerama presentations at this theatre (and other Cinerama venues in Los Angeles).

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on December 27, 2006 at 12:32 am

Saw it on 12/16. Absolutely stunning!

DavidM
DavidM on December 16, 2006 at 2:31 pm

Has anyone seen Dreamgirls at the Dome yet?

William
William on November 9, 2006 at 5:11 pm

There doing the same thing at the Ziegfeld Theatre in NYC for “Dreamgirls”. They said it was going to be digital projection.

It opens everywhere on December 25th at popular prices.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on November 9, 2006 at 4:32 pm

They’re slightly stepping things up at the Dome with the upcoming Premiere engagement of “Dreamgirls” starting December 15th. They’re doing it Broadway/Roadshow style. $25 bucks a person gets you a seat, a souvenir program, and access to “Dreamgirls” merchandise.

I’ll be there on Saturday December 16. Should be a blast!

JSA
JSA on November 3, 2006 at 9:29 pm

I saw HTWWW last November. For that particular show, attendance was not that great. I agree that they should put a few years between 3-strip Cinerama shows. In my opinion, a single-strip Cinerama retrospective is in order, if good prints are available. Hopefully not “Krakatoa: East of Java”!

Chris: My sentiments exactly…

JSA

William
William on October 31, 2006 at 5:43 pm

How well did they do the last time they ran them? Maybe they are just putting alittle more time between the last runs of them.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 31, 2006 at 5:21 pm

This is the first time since Arclight opened that the Dome has not had at least a couple of Cinerama screenings in the Fall.

William
William on October 31, 2006 at 3:25 pm

The Ziegfeld is back to their standard fare of Hollywood films.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 31, 2006 at 2:51 pm

Another ho-hum Fall at the Dome. No Cinerama. No 70MM Special Engagements. Just digitally projected Hollywood mediocrity. The management at the Ziegfeld in New York got a clue. Why can’t Pacific/Arclight?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 10, 2006 at 11:36 am

Here’s another ad from December 1959 featuring L.A. area drive-ins: 39 of them! (wow)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 2:26 pm

On closer inspection of the ad, there weren’t midnight shows every night – only Fridays and Saturdays. Still, that’s pretty cool – I would’ve loved being able to stagger out of the Dome at 3 AM onto Sunset Blvd. after seeing “Mad, Mad World”.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 1, 2006 at 1:37 pm

And…of all those drive-ins listed in the “Palm Springs Weekend” ad, the Vineland is the last man standing!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 3:24 am

… and a midnight show every night! Those really were the good old days.

JSA
JSA on September 1, 2006 at 2:08 am

Bill,

Thanks for the posting! Ten sold out evening shows!

What really gets me is that “Cleopatra” was playing in Todd-AO less than a mile away at the Pantages !!

JSA

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 31, 2006 at 11:33 pm

From the Los Angeles Times, November 1963: the premiere of “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” and of the Dome itself. Get a load of that celebrity guest list: