Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 1,001 - 1,025 of 1,102 comments

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 16, 2006 at 12:20 am

I’ve been going to the Dome since it first opened with Mad World. One thing that hasn’t been pointed out and should be is that one of the reasons their current three-panel Cinerama isn’t quite the real deal was their inability to install a proper slatted Cinerama screen. Hence, the projection is not as bright as it should be. The other lesser problem is that the screen really isn’t tall enough – the Dome was never designed to house a true Cinerama screen. I saw Seven Wonders of The World, HTWWW and Brothers Grimm, all at the Warner Cinerama on Hollywood Blvd. and it was a higher screen (and maybe even a bit wider) – I’ve never seen anything like it before or since, and the image was incredibly bright and beautiful thanks to the louvered screen.

JSA
JSA on February 15, 2006 at 11:28 pm

I got the above dates from the program that was handed during the engagements (I’ve been doing some spring cleaning!). I recall a later date for Columbia’s 75th Anniversary, but can’t exactly remember when. I just hope they bring back those films, right where they belong!

JSA

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 15, 2006 at 11:01 pm

I see a comment above about Philadelphia’s Boyd, a former 3 strip Cinerama house, being restored. It won’t have the orchestra booths to project Cinerama, but the historic movie palace will survive! www.FriendsOfTheBoyd.org
We found some Cinerama sound equipment tossed into old storage space. There was an old, not too exciting Windjammer poster, and I’m not sure if it was tossed. It was on the floor and not too clean. And, a ticket price sign for This is Cinerama, which we have for exhibit of the Boyd’s history.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 15, 2006 at 10:56 pm

I have an ad from New York Times for Columbia Pictures 75th Anniversary Film Fetival, with my own note that it played the Dome. This series was more recent than above. On other side, a revie of Message in a Bottle.
Lawrence of Arabia (70mm!)
Dr. Strangelove and Easy Rider
It Happened One Night and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Bridge of the River Kwai
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner and Tootsie
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind -DTS (Definitive Director’s Cut)
From Here to Eternity and On the Waterfront
Taxi Driver

JSA
JSA on February 15, 2006 at 9:44 pm

From May 20 until June 16 1994, The Cinerama Dome presented a “Columbia Classic Film Retrospective”, advertised as “The way they were made to be seen”. The films screened included “Bridge on the River Kwai”, “Lawrence of Arabia”, “The Guns of Navarone” and “Tommy”. I had the chance to see “Kwai”and “Navarone”. They sounded and looked majestic on the giant screen. I don’t believe that a retrospective such as this has been presented in recent years. The last one I recall was done right before the renovation.

It’s about time for the Dome to host another event like this…

JSA

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 31, 2005 at 8:18 pm

Tomorrow night, Arclight is presenting 2 sold out showings of “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure”. Go figure. Paul Reubens in person must have been the draw.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 31, 2005 at 8:00 pm

I was at the early show Saturday and it wasn’t anywhere near being full. In fact, it was disappointing in terms of attendance but (except from a buzz in one of the Dome’s speakers which may have been in the soundtrack) the presentation was awesome. Interviews were done with some audience members and we participated in a matte shot which will be used in the new DVD of the film to be released in 2007. “Cinerama Adventure” will be an extra on the DVD and the picture for HTWWW will use the curved “smilebox” technology. We also got a tour of the projection booth and an envelope containing a film clip from This is Cinerama which was a piece of film from each of the three panels and a fourth which was the mag soundtrack. The Dome has run Cinerama every October since 2002.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 31, 2005 at 5:10 pm

I said it before…I’ll say it again. The real crowds and $$$’s are waiting for Arclight to steal the annual “Great Big 70MM Festival” from the American Cinematheque/Egyptian Theatre and to bring it to the Dome where 70MM belongs!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 31, 2005 at 5:07 pm

When I went to HTWWW at the Dome in 2003 the joint was packed like sardines on a Sunday afternoon. Maybe the crowds are scarce because of the fact that this film has already played in the Dome fairly recently. Could it be that LA area audiences are hungry for other classic films (like “2001”) to play in the Dome as opposed to reruns such as this?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 31, 2005 at 5:05 pm

It was sad to see that the Friday and Saturday night shows did not sell out, especially when compared to the overflow crowds in 2003, but I hope this doesn’t deter Arclight from showing the film every couple of years or so. The Cinerama faithful will come from all over, just to experience it one more time. As I said to one of the ushers, entering the Dome to see “How the West Was Won” was like walking into a church.

Bill Kallay and Manwithnoname are right – if there’s any way you can get there before the engagement ends, you won’t be disappointed. In fact you won’t believe your eyes. Cinerama can turn a simple shot of Debbie Reynolds and Carroll Baker standing among a bunch of trees on a riverbank into a truly beautiful, awe-inspiring sight. Don’t even get me started on what it can do for the action sequences.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 28, 2005 at 5:18 pm

Today “How the West Was Won” opens and shows twice. Today there are zero print ads (in the Times), no comments by any writer and more space is given by Arclight to the listings of “Saw II” than for this special presentation. Lots of seats still available for all 12 shows even in the center. What a waste.

moviebluedog
moviebluedog on October 28, 2005 at 2:29 pm

If you live on the West Coast and can attend one these screenings of HTWWW, please do. You haven’t seen this film in its proper presentation until you’ve seen it in true Cinerama. The picture (or pictures) shining on the large Dome screen are clear and bright, and the sound is good, warm analog sound.

John Sittig and his crew put on a spectacular show, and a lot of effort goes into these special engagements. They deserve an audience and deserve applause for their efforts. Sittig has been at the forefront of many special engagements at the Dome of Cinerama and Super Cinerama shows. It doesn’t get any better than this.

The films that audiences see in their local shoebox megaplex are such a far cry from the epic quality of HTWWW. Before I saw it at the Dome in 2003, I had only seen it on LaserDisc and wondered what was so special about it. I found it boring and stagey. BUT, when seen in Cinerama, what a difference! This is a true film with showmanship in mind and shouldn’t be missed!

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 28, 2005 at 12:51 pm

Ticket sales must be dragging as the engagement of HTTWW was just cut back by a day and now ends 11/02. I just checked and so far the center section has not even sold out for today’s shows. Either support these showings or they will go away.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 6, 2005 at 6:59 pm

“How The West Was Won” in it’s original 3-strip Cinerama format returns to the Dome for one week only (10/28-11/03). Tickets on sale now and I have mine in the sweet spot. See you there!

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on August 25, 2005 at 2:46 am

Out in Philadelphia, a former Cinerama theatre is being restored. the RKO stanley Warner Boyd Theatre, which was also known as Regal Entertainment Group’s United artists Sameric 4 Theatre. This cinerama house (it was one of the first cinerama theatres on the east coast, along with the RKO Stanley Warner’s Warner Cinerama & Penthouse Theatre.

Sameric’s auditorium #1 was the former Boyd Theatre, which had all incarations of Cinerama until it was moved in the late 1960’s to William Goldman’s Randolph Theatre (which closed in 1971 with Tora! Tora! Tora! as the last film).

It would be great if a cinerama style theatre was built in Philadelphia, that uses cinerama, imax, 70mm, 35mm and digital formats.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on August 15, 2005 at 3:33 pm

Chris, I agree. Recently “T2”, “Lawrence of Arabia”, “Gandhi” and others that cry out for that huge screen have played during Arclight’s AFI series but always in one of the smaller houses. However, when the L.A. Conservancy had their annual meeting and no film was shown where was it? The Dome. Go figure.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on July 22, 2005 at 5:37 pm

HTWWW is coming back? Great. Maybe I’ll take some friends who’ve never been here.

To piggyback on Bill Huelbig’s comments, the American Cinematheque is running their yearly 70MM festival in the wrong theatre! With all due respect to the Egyptian, the Dome is THE PLACE to experience the true glory of 70MM projection!

I think the Dome should be running festivals and classics during the not so busy season. There’s no reason why this auditorium should be showing anything “fluffy” in the slow months. January-April and September-October are the perfect times for the Dome to go retro and show classics worthy to fit on that glorious screen.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 22, 2005 at 5:29 pm

I’m waiting patiently (or trying to) for the announcement of the dates for the rumored Fall 2005 engagement of “How the West Was Won”. Wouldn’t it be great if they had a Cinerama festival (3-strip as well as 70mm) and showed “2001” at the same time?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on July 22, 2005 at 2:34 pm

Yeah…but not in this decade…and not since it’s reopening.

Coate
Coate on July 22, 2005 at 5:59 am

The Dome has shown “2001”…on several occasions.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on July 22, 2005 at 2:56 am

First time I went here was to see T2 on opening day in 70MM and CDS. One of the greatest movie experiences of my life!

Now if they’d only get permission to show 2001 in here!

mattepntr
mattepntr on July 16, 2005 at 11:46 pm

Yes, the Dome had Cinema Digital Sound installed in the early 90’s, and what a great system that was! I saw “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” there in 70mm and CDS. This was an expensive format, and faded with the advent of the much cheaper Dolby Digital and DTS formats.

But Cinema Digital Sound was MUCH higher quality, the best sound I’ve ever heard in a movie theater, ever.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on June 30, 2005 at 6:00 pm

Enough with the spam already.