TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 1,101 - 1,125 of 1,596 comments

William
William on August 20, 2009 at 1:36 am

Didn’t the American Cinemateque get the theatre from the city of LA for like a dollar. But they had to pay to restore it.

BradE41
BradE41 on August 20, 2009 at 1:21 am

It will be interesting to see who bids for this theatre. Does American Cinemateque have deep pockets? They operate Grauman’s Egyptian. How ironic would it be if they operated Grauman’s Chinese also. They could used the Chinese 6 for “Retro” screenings and perhaps book Hollywood blockbusters at the Egyptian once in a while.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on August 16, 2009 at 11:37 am

I would be surprised if a “name” chain buys the theatre. Hefty purcase price, fourteen year operating limit (unless the landlord agrees to what would likely be a very expensive extension), difficult to book competitively, challenging to operate, etc.; the Chinese just doesn’t fit with the modern business model most chains follow. I would imagine a private entrepreneur(s) or party working in a joint venture with CIM would be more likely candidates.

richjr37
richjr37 on August 15, 2009 at 12:43 am

It occured to me that someone here mentioned Kerasoltes as a possible owner/operator. Didn’t they take over a Chinese Theatre complex in Colorado that was opened by Mann in the ‘70s?

That’d be quite a coup,i think.

richjr37
richjr37 on August 14, 2009 at 7:48 am

Disney owns all things ABC. Somehow,i don’t see Pacific picking this one up since they’d probably use it as a moveover theatre for whatever’s playing at the Dome/Archlight or vice versa.

Century,Cinemark,Carmike(which would enter the SoCal market with this one and the Westwood screens)even the dreaded monoliths AMC & Regal would have a better chance. Or it could go indie like the Majestic Crest did.

segask
segask on August 14, 2009 at 5:19 am

is it abc that owns disney, or disney that owns abc? I forget. Maybe abc could buy graumans, then disney leases it from them just like they are leasing the el capitan right across the street. Probably only disney/touchstone movies would play there, but at least Graumans would still be a first run movie palace.

segask
segask on August 14, 2009 at 5:19 am

if anyone but arclight buys the chinese, they will have the same problem mann has had – trying to compete against the 15 screen arclight with only half as many screens at hollywood and highland. For that reason I hope arclight gets it. That way everything except disney/touchstone (which always plays at the el capitan across the street) will be able to play at Graumans.

KJB2012
KJB2012 on August 13, 2009 at 1:54 am

The trouble is that Hollywood studios forgot, a long time ago, that they are in the “Show Biz”. Well except for Disney.
Off the top of my head, I don’t have a biz plan for Chinese right now. But I think it is safe to say, “if you can’t make it at the World’s Most Famous Theatre”, then maybe you should run a Burger King!

William
William on August 11, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Well remember Mann Theatres owns the building for only 14 more years, when their 99 year ground lease expires. CIM owns the land. So the ground lease expires in 2023.

BradE41
BradE41 on August 11, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I have been feeling that Mann has been slowly closing shop and I guess I was right. The Chinese would be an easier lure than the Village and Bruin because of its historic value. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Westwood, the Village is still my favorite theatre.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Im surprised that Paramount and Warner Bros allowed the circuit to decline so severely. If they had built up the circuit the way Pacific did it would have more value today. They have been lazy landlords. The Chinese has been booked so poorly in recent years. The Chinese should be treated like a flagship venue and positioned like the El Capitan and Cinerama Dome theatres. The Chinese is an industry venue and hosts many premieres. I hope Paramount and Warner Bros sells the Chinese to someone who will treat it with more dignity and class.brucec

MovieMatty
MovieMatty on August 11, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Looks like the Chinese is on the block…again.

The article notes that despite the economy, there is a likelier chance for a buyer to step in since Paramount and Warner Brothers are agreeing to sell theatres individually instead of the “package deal” of previous efforts.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on July 31, 2009 at 7:04 am

It looks like 9 will be booked into both the Chinese and Chinese 6 on September 9th since that will be the latest D-Box feature.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 30, 2009 at 1:39 am

I’m not sure if this has been posted before. The LAPL caption for this 1979 photo states that this was the biggest opening crowd in the history of the Chinese:

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 27, 2009 at 4:30 am

Unless I haven’t scrolled far enough up, has anyone experienced a movie here in the D-Box set up? I’m curious to know if it adds to the entertainment or is it just a gimmick? Also, are the screens at the Chinese 6 all the same size? The pictures Hollywood has seem to indicate Auditoriums 1 and 5 are the largest and have somewhat curved screens.

In the mid 90s, I went to Vegas and experienced Doug Trumbull’s Showscan 3D extravaganza at the Luxor Hotel. The screens were IMAX-huge and you wore these heavy 3D headsets that had speakers as you sat in motion controlled rocking seats. They were quite cool. I don’t remember the exact storyline but it seemed to be a journey through time. There were three parts and three different theaters. There was some prominence of an obelisk and lots of cool visual light shows and ending that reminded me of an expanded version of Back to the Future II’s depiction of a skyway. Anyway, D-Box sounds like a miniature version of what I experienced in Vegas. What made it work for me was of course, the humongous, yet clear screen size and sound inundation.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 27, 2009 at 1:15 am

It was a real zoo here last night. The new wax museum was open next to the theater, and a lot of people were congregating around Michael Jackson’s star. Plus the Harry Potter movie was playing. It does seem like the costumed characters are stating to overrun the tourists, there must have been thirty of them out there yesterday.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on July 25, 2009 at 12:08 am

Okay, so when you’re talking about the organ, you mean the pipes and equipment, not the console. Thanks.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 24, 2009 at 10:43 pm

The downtown Metropolitan referred to above by Ken, is listed herein as the Paramount, /theaters/495/
and perhaps after the Carthay Circle, might be considered the worst demolition loss of historic Los Angeles cinemas.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on July 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm

The console of the Wultitzer organ was in the center of the orchestra pit, so could be seen by the audience. The organ chambers were located in the ceiling, above the proscenium. To allow sound from the instrument into the auditorium, there was a tone chute, which allowed the sound to emit through the massive grillework above the main ceiling chandelier, giving an effect of the music seeming to ‘float’ over the audience.

A similar set up was also at two other Grauman theatres, the Metropolitan in Downtown, and the Egyptian along Hollywood Bouelvard.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on July 24, 2009 at 9:48 pm

So, Roger, the audience couldn’t see the organist performing?

RogerA
RogerA on July 24, 2009 at 9:23 pm

To answer Jloew’s comment regarding the boxed space that is above what used to be the stage at the Chinese. That boxed space is standard fly space that most older theaters have. The organ was forward of that space. There is space between the ceiling and the roof of the Chinese and the organ was in that space located in rooms that were built to house the organ.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on July 24, 2009 at 6:10 am

The ticket stubs I have don’t say Aud 7 on them, they just say Graumans.

segask
segask on July 24, 2009 at 5:56 am

I don’t think we need a seperate page. There’s an escalator and stairs that goes from the Footprint Forecourt up to the entrance of the multiplex. At the boxoffices (in the multiplex lobby and down on Hollywood Blvd) you can buy a ticket to a movie playing in Graumans or the multiplex. In fact, when you buy a ticket to Graumans the ticket says ‘Auditorium 7’ I think doesn’t it?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 23, 2009 at 12:41 am

I’m not opposed to a separate page, but I can see where someone new to the site is going to see Mann Chinese and start posting items about the older theater. There’s going to be a lot of mixed up comments.