TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 1,151 - 1,175 of 1,472 comments

segask
segask on June 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm

does anyone know what kind of, and how many subwoofers it has? The ‘vibrating air’ effect doesn’t seem as awesome as it used to be before they upgraded the sound system a few years ago.

terrywade
terrywade on June 9, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Good News!!!I was at the Chinese a few weeks ago and the curtains closed and opened!!! Now lets get them to put some blue/red and green lights up hi when the film is running. The stereo Dolby Digital® JBL system for Speed Racer was the best bass I have ever heard. Not super loud but very deep. I felt the air move thru my hair. Now that is a super THX sound system at the main Chinese Theatre.

suller
suller on June 8, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Just to clear up a few misconceptions I have seen on this site:

1. The celebrity impersonators outside the Grauman’s Chinese theatre have no affiliation with the theatre itself. They are not allowed on to the forecourt and must stay on the sidewalk at all times. People who want to complain about those impersonators needs to contact the Hollywood City of Commerce since Mann has nothing to do with them.

2. Management does not run the projection booth at Grauman’s or Chinese 6-plex. The theatre has a dedicated projection staff that are trained and certified. Union projectionists run all premieres, festivals, and other special screenings.

3. Grauman’s had a problem with dimmers in the auditorium this past winter/spring. It caused the Screenvision pre-show to run with the red stage lights on, on several shows. The theatre is now equipped with a new state of the art lighting system, that is still getting tweaked to this date. In addition to this, the staff is now getting trained in doing a curtain call between the pre-show and the trailers.

As far as digital projection: Grauman’s has a N.E.C. 2K digital projector and a Doremi server installed. Same equipment is in theatre 1, 2, 3. Screen #6 has a Christie 2K projector with a Dolby server with RealD 3D capabilities.

trooperboots
trooperboots on June 7, 2008 at 7:04 am

Segask.. you asked about the “new construction” just west of the Chinese Theater. It’s literally right next door and it’s a huge multi-million dollar project. It will be the brand new “Madame Tussauds” Wax Museum. It is being buit from scratch and a large crane is hauling large I-beams up around the site. I saw the artist conception of the building and it’s not much higher than the theater and doesn’t appear that it will overtake the height of it, but it will be quite grand and, of course, very modern in design. This museum will probably overtake the very dated “Hollywood Wax Museum” a couple of blocks away. It appears the frame of the building is in place, but they have a way to go as far as wall construction goes. Will be keeping an eye on this.

segask
segask on June 6, 2008 at 10:53 pm

well six hours later I now see Arclight Hollywood preselling Wanted, Love Guru, Happening, and Hancock. Disney has been preselling WALL*E at the El Capitan for some time now.

I think the next film in Graumans auditorium will be Get Smart. Then, three weeks later maybe Hellboy II. Those were the two movie posters that were up in the Forecourt of the Stars, listed as their Next Attraction, when I was there a week ago.

BradE41
BradE41 on June 6, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Arclight is pre-sale tickets for The Happening, Love Guru, Get Smart, Wanted and Hancock for Sherman Oaks and not Hollywood. So perhaps the Chinese is going to start getting bookings. Yesterday they had pre-sale for The Happening at Arclight Hollywood, now that is gone. The only upcoming film pre-sale for Hollywood is The Incredible Hulk.

Jimbo
Jimbo on June 5, 2008 at 7:39 am

Boys & Girls … Could we please use this site to discuss the Chinese Theater, NOT your life history working at McDonald’s ???

As for movie discusssions, try IMDB we don’t need your critique
on movies here either…….

This site is for the theaters – Thank You

JSA
JSA on June 4, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Bill, don’t forget “The Fugitive”!

JSA

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 4, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Not much. Thanks for steering the discussion back to the correct topic.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 4, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I worked at a McDonalds in Philly when Ray Kroc decided to pay us a visit. You should have seen the McDonald’s bigwigs shaking in terror during his one hour plus visit.

BradE41
BradE41 on June 4, 2008 at 3:58 pm

I worked at the Village in Westwood during that time period. Ted and Rhonda came to see just about everything we showed. When we showed Mommie Dearest Ted spent most of the time in the lobby because he hated the film so much. He seemed nice enough when he came in, but it was funny how management acted. Mr. Haines would ran out to Ted’s idling car to park it for him; and would be a bundle of nerves all the time he was watching the film. The Mann’s came in on Mr. Haines day off and ended up coming in. Oh, those were the days. Westwood and Films were so much fun, moviegoing has lost its lustre.

BradE41
BradE41 on June 4, 2008 at 3:35 pm

During ‘The Nude Bomb’ period there was a scary wax figure of Rhonda Flemming in the lobby of the Chinese.

William
William on June 4, 2008 at 2:42 pm

ken mc, Don’t you mean “I smell a Nude Bomb”? Remember the movie called “The Nude Bomb” from 1980, it was the first “Get Smart” movie and it’s Executive Producer was Ted Mann.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 4, 2008 at 2:28 pm

I’d say “Star Trek” and “The Untouchables” (both from the ‘70s and '80s) are the only TV show-to-movie adaptations that did work. The rest of them didn’t even come close.

markinthedark
markinthedark on June 4, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Didn’t the producers get a hint with such previous stinkers as “I Spy”, “Bewitched”, “The Avengers”, “Dukes of Hazzard”, “The Mod Squad”, “Leave it to Beaver”, “Miami Vice” etc etc that making an old TV show into a movie usually doesn’t work?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 4, 2008 at 1:42 pm

It’s a bad sign for “Get Smart” when the target audience doesn’t realize that it is based on a television show. I smell a bomb.

BradE41
BradE41 on June 4, 2008 at 10:29 am

Grauman’s Chinese is not getting The Happening either; it is now on pre-sale for June 12 Midnite show @ Arclight.

segask
segask on June 2, 2008 at 11:03 pm

well I see a couple questions I asked were already answered above.

And I also saw the trailer for the new Angelena Jolie film Wanted.

Tralers I saw

Get Smart
Hellboy II
Journey to Center of The Earth
Wanted
Curious Case of Benjamin Button (a christmas release)

segask
segask on June 1, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Anyone have any info on the new construction going on just west of the theater?

segask
segask on June 1, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Oh yeah, other trailers I remeber seeing at the Chinese yesterday were Journey to the Center of The Earth and a Brad Pitt movie (coming out this fall I think)

segask
segask on June 1, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Do Paramount and Warner still co-own the Mann theater chain? Paramounts biggest of May – Iron Man and Indy – wound up at the Dome. Warners' new Batman movie will be at the Dome. I guess Mann has new owners now?

segask
segask on June 1, 2008 at 4:16 pm

yesterday I saw Indy at the Dome and they played The Dark Knight trailer there. Then I went to the Chinese to see The Strangers and the trailers I can remember were Get Smart and Hellboy II. Posters for both of those were in the forecourt of the stars area and listed as their next attractions

BradE41
BradE41 on May 30, 2008 at 9:30 am

I really doubt the Chinese will be left high and dry this Summer. Just because it is listed on the Arclight website does not really mean it will play at the Hollywood venue.

markinthedark
markinthedark on May 29, 2008 at 12:18 pm

If the Arclight website is correct then the Chinese is in for a lousy summer, year, what have you. Aside from the Strangers which starts tomorrow at the Chinese and WALL-E, which will most certainly be at the El Capitan, the next wide release coming up that is not listed on the Arclight Hollywood’s coming soon page is New Line’s Journey to the Center of the Earth 3-D on July 11th!!