AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,151 - 1,175 of 1,534 comments

moviebuff82 on May 1, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Just came back froma 4:15 showing of X-Men: Wolverine, and it was better than I expected. Presentation was good, with a minor splice during the middle of the movie and some discolored frames and minor scratches during the print. For the film’s release, there are two secret endings after the movie’s over. I saw the one in which Wolverine sips some saki at a Japanese restaurant; I won’t spoil it for everyone on CT. The sound mixing was good, not as crowded as I expected to be, since all the showtimes are not selling out like fast. Near the front desk and the ATM machines there are signs saying Monsters vs Aliens is playing only in 2D and that moviegoers can ask the manager or a theater employee for more info. BTW, how is work going with the digital installation? I don’t mind seeing a movie if it’s in 3D or not, just that the tickets will be more expensive.

moviebuff82 on April 29, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I agree with ur comment, CinemarkFan. Lens flares are awesome. It will make Star Trek more stylistic and appeal to those who are not Trekkies. Same thing with the new X-Men movie for those who don’t know who wolverine is.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on April 29, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Why the fudge would anyone complain about lens flares? That is one of the most attractive things about anamorphic cinematography.

I’m thinking of making a t-shirt with the words, “I heart lens flares”.

moviebuff82 on April 29, 2009 at 5:59 pm

There’s an article online that says that if you go see Star Trek next week, some people have complained of lens flares shots in the movie.

moviebuff82 on April 29, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I agree. Slumdog millionaire lasted longer at the AMC in East Hanover and other indie venues rather than the AMC in Rockaway. Rockaway should show more indie and foreign products like the imaginasian in NYC, which caters to Asian films. THey should also show older older movies like what the AMC in Essex Green did many years ago.

JJD
JJD on April 29, 2009 at 10:38 am

Where are you seeing “Battle for Terra” on anybody’s list for this weekend? According to Movietickets, everybody in this area is holding over “Monsters vs. Aliens” and other digital screens are showing other movies. Even Parsippany and Succasunna don’t list it. Also, it would be nice if Rockaway occasionally showed some of the foreign films that are being released and reviewed on Rotten Tomatoes or mentioned at awards shows but never seen around here. They tend to focus more on story and character than on whizbang effects. Instead we keep seeing films that continually cater to the lowest common denominator (recycled dumb comedies and films that rely on computer-generated effects, violence, explosions, car-crashes, or comic book characters.) And it gets worse during the Summer. I know it’s all about what sells but, with 16 screens, it would be nice to slip something intelligent in once in a while.

moviebuff82 on April 28, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Sorry for the misspelling. It was received. X-Men Origins will be on four screens, Obsessed (last weekend’s no. 1 movie) is on two screens, tied with Ghosts of Girlfriend’s Past, and eight other movies are on eight screens, including Battle for Terra, which won’t be in 3D. I hope I see the new Pixar movie Up later next month in digital 3D, or else Rockaway gets digital 3D by the time Ice Age 3 comes out or better yet, this Xmas' Avatar might convice the theater to adapt to the technology once the economy improves for the cinema chains and the studios.

moviebuff82 on April 27, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I’m planning on seeing the new X-Men movie this coming Friday. I’ll post a review of how well the film was recieved at this theater.

moviebuff82 on April 24, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I checked again and showtimes are available for purchase online again for all movies for today.

moviebuff82 on April 23, 2009 at 8:25 pm

One or two of these movies can also be played on two screens.

JJD
JJD on April 23, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I never used online ticketing but I always thought that if a particular time was grayed out it just meant online ticketing was not available for that showing, but the movie would still play at that time. As far as closing some screens, wouldn’t the list of movies be much shorter? I still count 15 movies playing, some of them with totally grayed out showtimes.

moviebuff82 on April 23, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Probably some of the screens showing the movies are closed for installation of the projectors on each screen. Wayne has showtimes that are available and so is Meadow Six and Ridgefield Park. How about the Paramus theater, which has only two screens with Digital projection (2k)?

JJD
JJD on April 23, 2009 at 7:43 pm

What is going on with these grayed out showtimes? I can’t make any sense out of the pattern. Some screens have EVERY show grayed out, some have EVERY OTHER show grayed out, and some don’t have any grayed out. East Hanover has everything grayed out. Clifton Commons just about the opposite. What exactly affects online ticket availability and why this crazy pattern? I’m not so sure I would make the leap and say it has something to do with installing digital. If so, how?

moviebuff82 on April 22, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I got an email from AMC that’s a printable coupon; $3 off a large popcorn when I pay to see “The Soloist”, the first movie from Robert Downey Jr. since Tropic Thunder that also stars Samuel L. Jackson. They had the huge poster outside for some time now, as the movie was supposed to come out last winter but was delayed.

moviebuff82 on April 21, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Just in time for Earth Day, the feature film adaptation of “Planet Earth” arrives at this theater tomorrow, although the movie came out elsewhere around the world two years ago. I noticed on the AMC website that some of the showtimes for tomorrow’s movies are grayed out; I wonder if that has to do with the digital projection installation that I hope will happen once I see the new “X-Men” movie.

moviebuff82 on April 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm

that’s nice to hear, although it’s not heavily advertised on tv as much as Wolverine or Star Trek.

Giles
Giles on April 20, 2009 at 11:42 am

not to digress regarding the Rockaway, but I believe all the pre-release festival showing of ‘Battle for Terra’ (originally just ‘Terra’) were not 3D, I saw this at last Fall’s Virginia Film Festival, and enjoyed it.

moviebuff82 on April 19, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I agree with you. Variety is like the Fox News of entertainment news. I usually check out indie sites like Film Tech and Cinematour to scout industry news. BTW, I hope digital projection gets installed just in time for the new X-Men movie and the first 3-D movie of the summer, Battle for Terra, which looks interesting.

tcjarvik
tcjarvik on April 19, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Variety is not a reliable source of information. Look at their other articles. It is just baseless rumors and amateur opinions. Look at the article on Obama’s favorite TV shows. Companies routinely shuffle people into different job positions within their companies.

AMC would lose money from a merger with Cinemark. Cinemark has hundreds of theaters that are old, outdated, and without digital sound or stadium seating. These have done so poorly that they have converted them to dollar cinemas. That is a death sentence for most theaters. It is a last ditch effort to survive.

moviebuff82 on April 18, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Check this article out…
The closest Cinemark theater, and the only one in NJ that will be affected by the merger, is in Somersdale, NJ and like Rockaway, is a 16 plex.

moviebuff82 on April 17, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Unlike 35mm, computers will have bugs. Imagine what would happen if an error screen popped up during a 4k screening of “Star Trek” or if there are pixelation issues or sound sync issues with the showing. That’s the downside of digital projection vs 35mm. Another issue could be a massive computer worm like the Conficker virus that would infect the 4k systems and the theater would be closed for a computer checkup during the off hours. Recently AMC’s profit was down as audiences went to cheaper theaters.

markp
markp on April 17, 2009 at 10:23 am

Hey Justin, FYI, I run digital where I work, along with 35MM. There is NO art to running digital. Its a computer and all you do is push a button. Any idiot can do that. I want to see someone make reel-toreel changeovers like I use to. THAT"S an art.

moviebuff82 on April 17, 2009 at 6:56 am

Advance tickets are now available for the new “X-Men” movie as well as “Star Trek”.

moviebuff82 on April 13, 2009 at 8:50 pm

any word on when the new sony 4k projectors get installed? If it happens, then the projectionists who run the 35mm projectors will lose their jobs and be replaced by technicians who will master the art of showing digital movies.

moviebuff82 on April 4, 2009 at 10:23 am

Check this link out…
Out of all these theaters, Rockaway is not listed. Also, starting this weekend, $25 “Star Trek” gift cards are on sale featuring characters from the upcoming “Star Trek” movie, which I’ll definitely see on the big screen at this theater, as well as the new “X-Men” movie instead of watching it on a tiny computer screen!