AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mt. Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,201 - 1,225 of 1,676 comments

moviebuff82 on July 12, 2009 at 11:51 am

what other theatres will have the projection?

JJD
JJD on July 12, 2009 at 11:50 am

How long will it take to get auditorium 7 ready?

geniusdj2
geniusdj2 on July 12, 2009 at 11:28 am

As of right now 3D only works with 2K. Sony 4K are only for digital presentation and not for 3D yet. The parts to enable 3D on Sony 4ks are still being manufactured. It’s not out yet. So all RealD 3D presentations operate on Christie’s CP2000

moviebuff82 on July 12, 2009 at 6:24 am

Will it be the Sony 4k projectors or the 2k ones?

geniusdj2
geniusdj2 on July 12, 2009 at 12:55 am

yep he’s right. Rollout for 3D Cinema is beginning next week. This theatre will be getting in auditorium 7. There are other few theatres as well.

moviebuff82 on July 11, 2009 at 11:51 am

On the Google reviews for this theater, a recent moviegoer complained about the theater since she was carded when she went to see Bruno, an R-rated film. Now whenever I go see an R-rated film, I usually go with my dad or someone older than me, and this is no problem. Next time I go see an R-rated movie on my own, I’ll show my ID card much the same way I pay for an M-Rated game.

moviebuff82 on July 11, 2009 at 11:01 am

Was at the 11:10 showing of “Public Enemies” and enjoyed the movie a lot. The only complaint I had was that the movie was shot on HD video, making some action a bit jittery. This is similiar to what they did with Cloverfield, although that was a different kind of movie. The soundtrack was good, and there was a decent crowd. Paul, the guy in the wheelchair taking tickets, was nice to me and my aunt. Near the cash registers, AMC once again put up a notice about a 3D movie shown only in 2D, with Ice Age. Hopefully they get the digital 3D just in time for G-Force, which I’m not going to see.

JJD
JJD on July 10, 2009 at 5:56 pm

The drop down window I think you’re referring to (Choose Your Movie, Opening This Week, Coming Soon, Now Playing) is a movietickets.com feature that can be accessed from any theater listed under movietickets.com. It doesn’t necessarily mean those movies will play at the theater whose page you happen to be on. If you’re referring to something else specific to Rockaway 16, let us know.

moviebuff82 on July 10, 2009 at 5:35 pm

it was under the heading coming soon, with both the 2d and 3d versions listed.

JJD
JJD on July 10, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Can you provide a little more detail for those who don’t subscribe to the Moviewatcher Newsletter? What did it say? When I was at the theater last weekend and inquired about digital 3D, I was told by a worker that the manager was “working on it now”.

moviebuff82 on July 10, 2009 at 3:47 am

looks like gforce will be the first movie to be in 3d at this theater, according to the moviewatcher newsletter.

moviebuff82 on July 9, 2009 at 1:19 pm

they should kill that project and open the football stadium.

markp
markp on July 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Don’t hold your breath waiting for that Xanadu Theatre. First of all, Muvico is having financial problems and there is absolutely zero work going at the theatre site, as well as most the rest of xanadu, for the same reason, money problems.

moviebuff82 on July 9, 2009 at 12:25 pm

For the time being, this theater is now showing like two indie films, Away We Go and Whatever Works with nearly all of the lineup mostly blockbuster fare. I can’t wait for “The Hurt Locker” to come out, as well as the next Harry Potter movie.

moviebuff82 on July 8, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Rockaway and most theaters in NJ missed out on showing the Michael Jackson funeral…the closest theater I found was in Chelsea, Manhattan, NY.

moviebuff82 on July 7, 2009 at 1:01 pm

How has this theater been doing since it opened? I think it has changed since Clearview upgraded its theaters that surround that place with digital projection (2k,pretty soon 4k to compete against AMC). At least there won’t be any fake IMAX theaters around here soon (save for one in Danbury, Connecticut). I’m so looking forward to going to the IMAX at the Muvico Xanadu theater, whenever that’s done.

moviebuff82 on July 6, 2009 at 1:17 pm

As of right now, the longest running movie this summer at this theater has only one showtime left…Star Trek. Come friday, it will pass the torch to Up 2D, then the Hangover, and finally Transformers 2, which has struggled this past weekend due to increased competition from Ice Age 3 and the new Johnny Depp movie.

moviebuff82 on July 2, 2009 at 4:42 pm

According to the official Moviewatcher newsletter from AMC, the critically acclaimed Iraq war movie The Hurt Locker will play at this theater next week, alongside other major releases. I plan on seeing Public Enemies next weekend with my Aunt that weekend. That movie Michael Mann was shot first on HD cameras, just like his last few recent movies, such as Collateral and Miami Vice, which were good. Too bad it will take a few years before all of the 16 screens will be ultra-HD and bring audiences back into the theater, as ticket sales have been slow. One reason…no 3D movies.

moviebuff82 on July 1, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Has anyone had complaints at this theater? From what I attended the past couple of screenings, there are far and few between. From people saying the picture’s out of focus to fire alarms ringing, there are quite a few. At the Clearviews, there are no complaints.

Giles
Giles on July 1, 2009 at 6:24 pm

from AMC’s website:

AMC Entertainment Inc.
P.O. Box 725489
Atlanta, GA 31139-9923

“AMC will research and respond to your letter in a timely manner.
AMC chooses these forms of communication with our guests because they have proven to be the most meaningful and effective.”

yes folks, they like snail mail – send them a letter. I had bugged them continually about the IMAX-Digital system over at Tysons Corner, that corporate eventually succumbed in having the manager at Tysons to send me a letter in response: a phone number and time to talk with him about my concerns.

moviebuff82 on July 1, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Here’s a link to where the glass panes and stuff came from..
BTW, there’s no email response to get to AMC to question about when the digital projection gets installed.

JJD
JJD on July 1, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Follow-up to my June 25th entry: Add Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings, King Kong, The Hobbit, Tintin) to the growing list (James Cameron, Dreamworks, etc.) of those committed to “all 3D” from now on. Certainly most, if not all, animation will be 3D. MarketSaw lists over 100 3D movies either rumored, in production, or with release dates through 2012. In addition to movies, on the way are live sporting events, concerts, and stage productions broadcast from anywhere in the world into your local theater. This will benefit everyone, especially those who cannot afford to attend the real thing. 3D interactive gaming, shown before the 3D movie, is in its early stages in the UK and will involve the audience. Hopefully, this will end the dilemma of theaters resisting to convert to 3D due to a lack of product and directors hesitant to shoot in 3D due to a lack of 3D screens. Finally, a standard for 3DTV is currently being developed which should generate even more competition (and innovation) between theaters and home entertainment systems. So…let’s get going Rockaway! The train has left the station with no signs, as in the past, of derailing! The technology is there, the investments are being made by the heavy-hitters, and the returns are rewarding.

moviebuff82 on July 1, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Here’s a list of theaters showing Ice Age 3D…
Not on the list but on movietickets.com is the Parsippany cinema. Some of these theaters are still playing Up in 3D on one screen in each theater, as that movie is now the most popular movie of the year, soon to be crushed by the Transformers sequel and probably Harry Potter 6, which has 8 midnight showings at the theater. I’m sure they’ll sell out all of them. BTW, AMC should’ve installed that digital projector in house #8 for Ice Age 3D…hopefully they’ll install it for the next 3-D movie, G-Force.

moviebuff82 on June 29, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I got an email from AMC with their newsletter, and besides Ice Age and Public Enemies out on Tuesday, on friday the first Bollywood film to play here will be out…Kambakkht Ishq. This is a relief for those who enjoy these kind of movies. Plus, it has some cameos by famous celebs from Hollywood. It should have subtitles for English fans.