AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,201 - 1,225 of 1,498 comments

geniusdj2
geniusdj2 on February 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm

^^ it’s not going to be installed in time for Jonas Bro. concert. Because of the economy, the Imax is on hold as well the DLP Projector. But DLP won’t be coming in towards the end of the summer…

moviebuff82 on February 10, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Just checked the showtimes and the only movie to be on two screens this weekend is Confessions of a Shopaholic, another mall movie playing at a theater near a mall. No Digital projection; hopefully they install it just in time for the Jonas Brothers concert movie.

moviebuff82 on February 10, 2009 at 7:10 am

Check this article out…
My opinion on it is that it was a false alarm and no one was hurt.

moviebuff82 on February 7, 2009 at 8:48 am

Thanks for the info, movie534. Despite those problems, I still go to this theater since it’s so close and convienient.

markp
markp on February 7, 2009 at 7:07 am

Ahh Justin, quality non-union projectionists at their best. Mis-frames, shortened snipes, gotta love it. And the management too!! That’s an old trick to avoid having too many voids. Someone mispunched a ticket to the morning show, and sold it to you in the afternoon. No voids. Also against company policy. Those splices during the movie probably happened because they wound the film onto the platter too fast, and it snapped.

moviebuff82 on February 7, 2009 at 6:06 am

The showtime that was printed on the ticket stub was incorrect, too. It said 10:40 a.m. and not 4:20.

moviebuff82 on February 6, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Just came back from a 4:10 showing of “Push”. The movie was ok despite some minor splices during the movie and a shortened version of the AMC feature presentation trailer as well as bad framing of the pre-show. Audience was not as crowded as expected, as most of the AMC moviegoers went to see either Coraline or oscar-nominated films. Near the advance ticketing machines, there is an outdated paper reminding moviegoers that My Bloody Valentine is not in 3-D and an outdated movie poster outside featuring The Day the Earth Stood Still, and I saw a truck putting up a poster for one of those Madea movies which I don’t care about. Next movie I’ll probably check out could be The International, and in March it will be Watchmen, hopefully in digital projection.

moviebuff82 on February 5, 2009 at 11:27 am

FYI, AMC’s main website, as well as the Moviewatcher website, is down for maintenance, but movietickets.com is still available.

moviebuff82 on February 3, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Just checked the movie’s ticket site, and no mention of digital or 3d projection. The next 3d release will be the Jonas Brothers concert movie (the duo performed at the mall back in xmas of 2007), followed by Monsters vs Aliens, of which I saw a 3D preview during the Super Bowl. It looks promising. I was so looking forward to seeing Coraline in 3d, but I’ll just have to stick with the 2d version.

moviebuff82 on January 31, 2009 at 2:15 pm

One day before the awards are handed out, this theater will show all five movies in one auditorium non-stop from 10:30 am to around 8 p.m. Of course, there will be breaks between each movie so that guests can refill their popcorn and soda for free (this applies to Moviewatcher members only), and the $25 is a bargain, especially in these tough economic times that are keeping shoppers away from the high-priced mall that’s near the theater. Maybe next year this theater will show the Super Bowl if the Giants or Jets win, given the timing of the installation of the DLP equipment.

moviebuff82 on January 31, 2009 at 6:38 am

Upcoming attractions for this theater include She’s just not that into you and push. This theater also has all five of the best picture nominees playing right now….I’ll probably catch Slumdog before the awards begin and see if it can win that golden statue!!!

moviebuff82 on January 23, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Just checked AMC’s Imax website and there’s no listing for this theater to become an Imax. BTW, how are things going on the digital projection thing? I read online that Paramount is inking a deal with AMC as well as Cinemark and Regal to install digital cinema equipment. The next major 3-D release will be Coraline, followed by Monsters vs Aliens 3D; I got the 3D glasses at a CVS so I can watch the commercials during the Super Bowl to see what the fuss is about. Then when the movie comes out, hopefully Rockaway will show it in 3-D.

moviebuff82 on January 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm

The four auditoriums that need to be equipped for 3-D would be theaters 8, 9, 1, and 2, since the other four are a bit smaller and can seat only 100+ people each. And don’t forget about the cost of paying to see a 3-D movie will be more than the average price, although the 3D theaters will also show 2D digital stuff. This was true for the theaters that kept the digital projection after the 3D craze came back.

JJD
JJD on January 21, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Justin, the link didn’t work. Add the letter “L” at the end of “htm” and the link will work. That’s an excellent site for a complete history of 3D movies. Also, check out the Marketsaw Blogspot site for a comprehensive list of upcoming 3D films. He lists close to 100 3D films scheduled, to be announced, and rumored through 2012. It also includes a list of digital 3D theaters worldwide and daily news items.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on January 21, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I think with all the 3-D craze today, these theaters should have at least 4 auditoriums equiped for 3-D. Though I’d like to see them projected on a 50ft wide screen with 400-500+ seats, because they’re being installed in the smaller auditoriums at most places.

moviebuff82 on January 21, 2009 at 12:02 pm

The biggest out of all these 3D films will be Monsters vs Aliens…one could play on a 3D screen and the other will play on a 2D screen. Theater #8 is a perfect choice to show 3D content…check this link out…

JJD
JJD on January 21, 2009 at 11:45 am

Thanks Jezebel for the update…finally, some encouraging news. We don’t really need full-blown IMAX. We do need 3D. You didn’t mention whether the digital system will be RealD, IMAX, or Dolby, but I suppose it doesn’t matter just as long as it can show any and all of the 3D releases scheduled this year and beyond. I read that “Beowulf” was the first movie to be shown in all three formats so it sounds like there shouldn’t be a compatibility issue. My only concern is “How will only one screen be able to handle overlapping releases? I think that’s what hurt "U23D” because “Hannah Montana” was held over. With the dozens of 3D films on the horizon, that might be a problem unless they stagger the showtimes each day until they can add another screen. Again, thanks.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on January 20, 2009 at 9:11 pm

DietMAX wasn’t gonna be nothing special anyway. Real IMAX are those with the 5-7 story tall screens.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 20, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Okay, Justin, you can chill now. No IMAX at the Rockaway. None. Zippo, zilch. DLP sounds good though. At least you’ll have ONE auditorium that will show a bright, scratch free, colorful presentation all the time, every time. Too bad its not THX certified. I guess you can’t get it all…. ;)

jezebel34
jezebel34 on January 20, 2009 at 8:29 pm

no insane traditional imax at our theater for a long time.

jezebel34
jezebel34 on January 20, 2009 at 8:22 pm

As an AMC employee I can tell you that we are getting new projection to go digital in house 8. It will enable us to have 3-d movies. We will not be remodeling. We’re were supposed to get the projection in time for my bloody valentine but the company did not return our calls. I promise you, we are working on it.

moviebuff82 on January 17, 2009 at 11:27 am

At this website…
there’s no mention of AMC Rockaway. Is it delayed?

moviebuff82 on January 16, 2009 at 11:58 am

Check this link out….
search for “AMC theatres” in the page and you’ll read about a drug check at the theater; security is improving quite a bit at this theater.

moviebuff82 on January 16, 2009 at 11:50 am

I checked the AMC website, and the weekend after MLK Day will be big. Not only is AMC bringing back The Dark Knight to a regular screen and an IMAX screen (buying a ticket will also get the moviegoer a $5 concession voucher), but the Oscar nominated films will be showing as part of AMC’s annual marathon day of movies called the Best Picture Showcase. I wouldn’t be suprised if Dark Knight is one of those films. As for going to see the Dark Knight (or Watchmen) in IMAX, I would go see an early morning show during the weekend so that it’s not sold out so that I can spend some money on snacks.

moviebuff82 on January 13, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I was on the online ticketing site for this theater, and at the top of the showtimes, there’s a notice…“To find a film presented in 3D, look for the "Digital 3D” description. Some locations do not have Digital 3D available". So for its midnight showings on Thursday, My Bloody Valentine will not be in 3D, just plain old 2D, on the week before the IMAX theater opens.