TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 101 - 125 of 1,495 comments

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on November 17, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I don’t play the game, but I found a screen cap:

www.igta5.com/images/website-startours03.jpg

Looks vaguely familiar!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm

In GTA V, there is a movie theater named the Oriental that closely resembles this building.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on October 26, 2013 at 5:50 am

My fingers are crossed that since El Cap is not playing Saving Mr Banks, the Chinese 6 will get booked with it day and date with Arclight.

In my opinon(not that it counts lol) any movie that films/features the Chinese should play on atleast one of the screens of the chinese 6 if the main house isnt availble.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm

to RogerA-

thanks for your reply of Oct.11.. while i’m guessing a decent number of the countless upon countless grand old movie theaters/palaces that were built in the prime building period of 1914-1941 still exist many don’t qualify. for instance the Castro and Balboa in San Francisco were built from the get go as 2nd or 3rd run neighborhood theaters. i’m looking for theaters that were built from the get go as 1st run venues have continued to operate as such since the day they opened. as i said in my original post the Chinese is the only one I have found so far on this site. I did the search you suggested on both Yahoo and Google but it didn’t help. it would be sad if the Chinese was the only grand old movie theater/palace built in the prime 1914-1941 period from the get go as a 1st run venue that as continued to operate as such since the day it opened.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 21, 2013 at 10:06 am

Wow, Chris. Thanks for reporting that for us. Now if only they’d SHOW “2001” at the Chinese. Maybe they will someday.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 21, 2013 at 6:50 am

Now that’s a great review Chris….

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 20, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Just came back from my 2nd trip to “Gravity.” Lots of improvements. No more dumb preshow. Curtain stays closed till their announcer guy introduces the feature. Ushers all around to help patrons find their seats. Still no ticket kiosks built, though (They GOTTA make this happen! With all that randomness on Hollywood Blvd, that street level box office is not safe!).

And here’s something to make you chuckle: They’ve added a dash of showmanship by playing the legendary “Thus Spoke Zarathustra” (a.k.a. the 2001 A Space Odyssey theme) as the curtains open. EPIC!

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 19, 2013 at 11:50 am

As I posted months ago !!

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 19, 2013 at 11:43 am

Wow… the TCL Chi-MAXing is the best thing that could have happened to Arclight Hollywood. It looks like they have been removed totally from the booking area, allowing them free access at Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Lucasfilm stuff now. It’s also the best thing for the Chinese since they don’t have to simply contend with Arclight’s castoffs anymore.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on October 18, 2013 at 2:38 am

Looks like they have Enders Game IMAX booked now http://www.tclchinesetheatres.com/tickets-showtimes/

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 16, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Escape Plan starts the Friday at both the Chinese 6 and the Arclight. Looks like the shared bookings will go beyond IMAX titles.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 13, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Photos are set democratically by the most # of views for any particular image within that theater’s photo set. I do not believe there is an override available to administrators.

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on October 13, 2013 at 2:53 am

I agree with Bway, can the admin please put a more representative photo up as the first photo? Thanks!

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on October 13, 2013 at 2:51 am

I saw the original Star Wars at the Chinese when it opened with a group of friends, and it changed my life in many ways! Every time there has a rerelease of SW film at the Chinese the same group of friends reunited to see it. It would mean so much to me to see the latest SW at the same theatre! Robert, Chris, and Cliffs, I hope you you are right! I will be there for the first midnight showing!

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 13, 2013 at 12:11 am

If Disney was smart… they’d locked down Hollywood Blvd for Episode VII and have it playing at both. Treat the Chinese and the El Cap as one big multiplex. Imagine how cool it would be to have Star Wars playing on both sides of the street.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 12, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I DID NOT KNOW that Disney used both theatres for premieres! I recant my original statement!

Shucks…with the free for all going on with “Gravity” playing at Chinese & The Dome coupled with the “Thor” sequel playing at The Dome & El Cap, we just may see Episode 7 playing at theatres located across the street from one another after all!

RogerA
RogerA on October 11, 2013 at 11:43 am

Bigjoe most of the grand movie palaces that were built in the early part of the twentieth century are gone. The value of the real estate and the cost of heating and air conditioning coupled with the lack of interest in single theaters did them in. The grandest and most famous movie palace was the Roxy in NYC. The Roxy was demolished in 1960. The high cost of energy and the popularity of the multiplex closed most of the movie palaces in the 70’s and early 80’s. The are a few of these theaters and few are still first run. Most of the movie palaces that are left run special shows or are just dark. Do a google search for oldest running movie theaters and you will find a few.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on October 10, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Chris, you do have a point, but can i counter with this. Just because Disney Operates El Cap doesnt mean the Chinese won’t be involved with the premiere in some manner. There have been several Disney red carpet premieres in recent years that full on premiered at the chiense instead of El Cap. Since Iron Man 2 all the Marvel movies have for their Red Carpet Premiere used BOTH the El Cap and Chinese (such as last Summers Avengers, this Summers Iron Man 3 and the upcoming Thor 2-Nov4- So its entirely possible that Star Wars VII will be a Co premiere between both theatres, Especially if JJ ends up partially shooting using IMAX cameras.

Regular engagement who knows, but the premiere I am more than willing to bet it will premiere or co premiere at the Chinese IMAX

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Hello From NYC-

this a question I asked sometime ago so I would appreciate any further info my fellow posters might have. the building boom period for grand old movie theaters/palaces was approx. 1914-1941. now many of the theaters built during this period are alive and well and have been in continual operation since the day they opened- the Castro Theater in San Francisco as an example. but that theater was built from the get go as a 2nd/3rd run neighborhood theater. which brings me to the Chinese. I have been browsing this website to see how many such theaters I could find that opened from the get go as 1st run venues and have continued to operate as such since the day they opened. the only one I have found so far is the Chinese. is it really possible that of all the grand old movie theaters/palaces built in the boom period of 1914-1941 from the get go as 1st run venues the Chinese is the only one in continual operation as such since the day is opened?

Bway
Bway on October 10, 2013 at 4:21 pm

For one of the most famous theaters in the country, this is the photo for it?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 9, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Laser’s coming in 2014.

RogerA
RogerA on October 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I don’t think they have the laser light source installed yet.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm

How is the picture quality of the laser imax compared to rockaway imax?

RogerA
RogerA on October 9, 2013 at 11:00 am

For a while there were sixteen 16 inch Cerwin-Vega speakers in two banks powered by two 2,000 watt amps for the sub woof channel. Someone from Universal brought in a couple of reels of Jurassic Park and it sounded great.

Most people seem to agree that the seating and viewing is much better now. There is very little chance someone’s head will block your view.