Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 101 - 125 of 1,371 comments

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 16, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Has anyone seen any activity or beginning of an activity at the Loew’s Kings…In a few months it will be 2013. Surely something should have been started if they insist on a 2015 opening whouldn’t you think??

robboehm
robboehm on September 16, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Maybe the name should be changed to Former Cinema Treasures since more than 2/3 of the entries are no longer functioning in that capacity and a goodly portion of those have been demolished or are just slowly crumbling, with some help from the locals.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 16, 2012 at 9:02 am

Well, now let me think. Could it be because the King’s is an outstanding example of a Rapp & Rapp movie palace, irreplacable in its design and architecture? Could it be that some events are better suited to a large, luxurious proscenium theater than a sterile, curtained off chunk of an arena better suited to sports events? Or might it be the fact that a functioning theater like the Kings stimulates a neighborhood’s small business environment more than an arena that will be built over railroad tracks that will be unavailable as a theater for many periods when the basketball team that will play there needs the whole space? Is it very likely that anyone would ever want to stage a film festival or premiere film event in a draped-off portion of a sports arena that this so called “theater” really is? To me, this like asking “Why preserve Radio City Music Hall or the Ziegfield when we could just hang drapes over a part of the Javits Center or the Meadowlands arena?”

One of the principal and foundational purposes of this site is the preservation of theaters in fact, in record, and in memory. I found this question to be totally inappropriate here.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Good news indeed!!!!!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I just received word from the Brooklyn Borough President’s office that the Loew’s Kings project is definitely a GO!! The funding is in place and construction commencement is destined for the end of this year. This is good news.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 17, 2012 at 7:43 pm

You named yourself perferctly ZiegfeldMan. I love the Ziegfeld Theater. It really is a movie palace! Somewhat modern, but truly beautiful. I would have loved to have seen the first Ziegfeld. Must have been great. For that matter I wish I saw the Capitol! I did see and was inside the Loews State & Paramount Times Sq. at the very end of their existence. These were major showplaces and I loved them both….

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 17, 2012 at 11:10 am

I’m also working on several leads to truly ascertain progress. Will keep everyone posted. Happy Fathers Day!! As you can guess, the restoration of the Kings is VERY important to me (as is the continued maintenance of NYC’s last “movie Palace,” the all-important, Ziegfeld).

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 17, 2012 at 10:39 am

Also loved the link.Gives me new hope for the King’s. Thanks for posting, Maybe the aunt could be brought on stage to get applause as the last manager of Loew’s!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

You’re quite welcome. In fact as someone looking forward to the renovation of the Kings since I toured the place in the early 1980’s, I would actually like to meet your aunt, she must be filled with wonderful memories and I would love to see her memorabilia. In fact, I would like to meet you!!

Besides being Ziegfeldman, I am also known as the “Wolf,” after the Harvey Keitel character in “Pulp Fiction.” That is, I get things done.

Here’s what I’ve done relative to the Kings.

(1) I visited the Kings in the summer of 2010 just to see it again. As I stood outside, I imagined the rise like the Phoenix.

(2) I’ve followed on the net and saw that the first thing ACE had to do was file an environmental impact statement with the city. This is SOP, as ACE plans on not only renovation but adding to the stage area. There are also traffic implications.

(3)Here is the latest info from the NYCEDC dated 2012:

(4) This is from the website of ACE Theatrical Group, all about the restoration, in progress, now scheduled for completion in 2015—this is going to give your aunt a goal.

It is clear to me from the other work of ACE, that an extensive amount of “pre-production” is necessary to get this right. This is probably where we are at now in 2012.

(5) To give you hope, which, if you remember “Shawshank Redemption” is a good thing, I closely followed the restoration of the New Amsterdam Theatre on 42nd Street. That was a much more difficult project, but worth waiting for. It is the most beautiful theatre I have ever seen, anywhere.

Please e-mail me at

Best,

Gary

sgreenberg
sgreenberg on June 17, 2012 at 6:42 am

Thanks you so much for that link, ZiegfeldMan.

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 16, 2012 at 11:38 am

Dear SGreenberg:

Make sure you look at this, and if possible that she does also:

sgreenberg
sgreenberg on June 16, 2012 at 9:55 am

I’m sorry to hear that things are going so slowly (or not at all). I’ve been hoping to be able to show my aunt, the last manager of the theater, some pictures of the renovation. I’m sure it would make her happy to see some progress. She’s in her late 90s and living upstate. Even if the renovation is completed soon, I doubt she’d be able to visit the theater. A pity.

Scott
Scott on June 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Bobby, that’s good news about the Uptown. I guess we’ll see how it plays out.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 7, 2012 at 10:55 am

Scott, my source is an insider associated with JAM. The Uptown Theatre will be the anchor in an entertainment district which will include the Riviera Theatre & the Green Mill club & the Aragon Ballroom. Alot has to come together and the mayor is behind this concept. I also think the Kings is in a better position long term as it looks today. But the plans in Chicago are very strong and the owners are moving ahead. I have yet to read any movement that is visable going on at the Kings.

Scott
Scott on June 7, 2012 at 10:33 am

Bobby, I remain doubtful about the Uptown, but would love to eat my words someday. Hopefully your “source” is correct. The Kings seems like a much more viable project to me since it’s not located in a neighborhood, as is the Uptown. And I believe the Kings has parking issues that are easier to deal with.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Scott, I have from a good source that JAM will have the financing in position in 2013 with a grand re-opening planned in 2015. Same year as the Kings. I plan on going to both the Uptown & Kings, both beautiful Rapp & Rapp palaces.

Scott
Scott on June 6, 2012 at 10:32 am

This is like a repeat of the Uptown situation in Chicago, though I suspect ACE is holding back for different reasons than JAM. I don’t know how ACE funds its projects, but one would think this would be a good time to move since the cost of money is so low.

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on June 6, 2012 at 10:26 am

It will happen. There’s a lot of red tape and planning when restoring a building like this.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 6, 2012 at 9:00 am

Thank you for article ZiegfeldMan. Like Tinseltoes, I too wonder if anyone has visited the site recently to see if any signs of life exist. Since 2010, one would think a scaffolding or two would be in place by now either in front or on the back walls of the theater!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Tinseltoes et.al.

This is directly from ACE Theatrical Group’s Website:

About the Kings Theatre (In Redevelopment)

One of five “Wonder Theatres” opened by the Loew’s Corporation between 1929 and 1930, the Loew’s Kings Theatre was built as one of the most beautiful theatres in the nation, and was originally designed by architectural masters Rapp & Rapp. The Kings Theatre is located in the once thriving, yet still active shopping district along Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn. The Kings is currently in redevelopment, and is set to regain its status as Brooklyn’s largest indoor theatre more than three decades after shuttering and being seized by the City of New York. The Kings is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation designed to convert the spectacular, gilded movie palace into a state-of-the-art performing arts facility. The Kings will add vibrancy, quality of life, and an economic shot in the arm to New York’s largest borough.

Once completed, the Kings Theatre will operate as a self-sustaining performing arts facility, hosting a wide variety of cultural arts attractions including music, comedy, dance, theatrically staged extravaganzas, as well as a variety of community and private uses including banquets, seminars, product launches and weddings. The Kings will be added to the National Register of Historic Places and the $73 million renovation is expected to be completed in spring of 2015.

Now, let’s hope the Ziegfeld hangs in there!!

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 10, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Barbra Streisand announced yesterday she will play Brookyln, NY in October for one night only. It will not be the King’s of course, but I wonder if she will get a royal tour if it is safe to enter?

RickB
RickB on May 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

“Brooklyn to me means the Loew’s Kings, Erasmus, the yeshiva I went to, the Dodgers, Prospect Park, great Chinese food,” Ms. Streisand said… Naturally the Cinema Treasure comes first.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 3, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I think the economy will be the main issue. Ed Solero says it all. With the average seat price around $50+, and the fact the theater plans on being booked almost every night in the year, I ask anyone to inform me of any theater that is that heavily booked in the USA and makes a profit without any help from the city or state.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 3, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I agree with BobbyS, regarding comparison to the Barclays Center. That’s like comparing the need for the Beacon Theatre as a concert venue when you have Madison Square Garden. I certainly think there is a sufficient population in Brooklyn to support a viable venue at the Kings. In my mind, its going to be a question of what kind of entertainments will be booked into the theater. Seems to me that Brooklyn could benefit from their own Beacon Theatre type venue – where pop acts can make a stop along a tour (much as in the ‘70’s and early '80’s when it wasn’t uncommon to see a particular act stop in for a night or two at the Palladium in Manhattan followed by a couple of nights across the river at the Capitol in Passaic). My fears here would be how Cablevision would react to the competition and how the state of the economy in 2015 will influence how people spend whatever disposable cash they may have.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 3, 2012 at 8:12 am

The Barclays Center is really for sporting events and maybe mega concerts which the Kings could not handle. And it will bring people(paying customers)into Brookyln for further entertainment(Kings).But my concern is a lack of events to be booked and keep the theater filled most of the year(profitable). The beautiful Genesse Theater in Waukegan,IL cancelled its classic film series on Sat nights after trying it for a year. Very low turnout. Only “Gone With The Wind” & “Ben-Hur” drew more than 300 people. Both beautiful restored prints in 35mm.