Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 101 - 125 of 1,501 comments

Scott
Scott on September 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Surely ACE would have known about all this red tape when they estimated completion by 2014. Hopefully you are correct that the bureaucracy involved is the culprit. I’m sure it takes a long time to line up public funding; however, if there is no progress within the next few months I think we can assume that the project is at least on hold.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 27, 2012 at 5:47 am

Oh would that that were true! But in this case, just as an example, a lengthy impact study had to be completed to determine how traffic and transportation would be affected even before any work began (this can be found online). Then there will be the approval of construction plans by various city and state agencies, environmental impact statements, and review for adherence to hiring and affirmative action requirements (especially if public funds are involved).

In addition, if this theater has an historic designation or is within an historic district, additional panels will have to review the plans and determine if the repairs and alterations conform to preservation guidelines. If the operator wants to serve alcohol, the there will be a review of the license application. In addition, there may be neighborhood groups or civic groups that may want to have a legitimate say in the project.

Many of the agencies involved in these reviews are autonomous and cannot be overruled by another body, even in the interest of expediting the process.

It is not my intention to be negative here; it is just that I have had some personal if low level experience in trying to save a few theaters and the process is often frustrating and complicated.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 27, 2012 at 5:19 am

On the other hand, one would think the city/state would “grease” the way for a prompt easying of bureaucratic rules to get this project up & running. It will be 2013 in three months. A delay would only hurt the investors I would think. I think I will go with Scott on this one..

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 27, 2012 at 5:19 am

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

There does not seem to have been anything in the print media since the announcements in February; however, the project is still listed at the ACE Theatrical website with a completion date set for 2014. It would not surprise me if the delay may be due to the often maze-like, cumbersome, regulatory, and bureaucratic set of hurdles that projects such as this have to jump, especially in large cities.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 26, 2012 at 5:45 am

I don’t want to believe Tinseltoes posting the need for the King’s existing due to the new Barclays opening and the small theater created for smaller shows. I wonder what tax breaks the Barclays received from the city/state and if any public funds were used in that massive project. Is The King’s to be funded by ACE entirely? I thought the city manager had a hand in it. You might be on to something Scott….

Scott
Scott on September 22, 2012 at 6:22 am

Bobby, yes one would think that the restoration would have started by now. Though people say otherwise, I suspect ACE is having second thoughts about the magnitude of the investment required.

GoBoy
GoBoy on September 22, 2012 at 3:03 am

Since the announcement of the restoration plan,I have not found any new articles,about it.I no longer live in the area so I can’t go to look around.Doesn’t anyone else ever go by? If there is any work going on you could see it,by just walking around out side.There is plenty that has to be done,just to stabilize the building before any restoration work is done.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 17, 2012 at 3:49 am

Has anyone seen any activity or beginning of an activity at the Loew’s Kings…In a few months it will be 2013. Surely something should have been started if they insist on a 2015 opening whouldn’t you think??

robboehm
robboehm on September 17, 2012 at 3:02 am

Maybe the name should be changed to Former Cinema Treasures since more than 2/3 of the entries are no longer functioning in that capacity and a goodly portion of those have been demolished or are just slowly crumbling, with some help from the locals.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 16, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Well, now let me think. Could it be because the King’s is an outstanding example of a Rapp & Rapp movie palace, irreplacable in its design and architecture? Could it be that some events are better suited to a large, luxurious proscenium theater than a sterile, curtained off chunk of an arena better suited to sports events? Or might it be the fact that a functioning theater like the Kings stimulates a neighborhood’s small business environment more than an arena that will be built over railroad tracks that will be unavailable as a theater for many periods when the basketball team that will play there needs the whole space? Is it very likely that anyone would ever want to stage a film festival or premiere film event in a draped-off portion of a sports arena that this so called “theater” really is? To me, this like asking “Why preserve Radio City Music Hall or the Ziegfield when we could just hang drapes over a part of the Javits Center or the Meadowlands arena?”

One of the principal and foundational purposes of this site is the preservation of theaters in fact, in record, and in memory. I found this question to be totally inappropriate here.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on September 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Why is there still a need to restore Loew’s Kings when a new venue is about to open in downtown Brooklyn which can handle events that are too small for the new 19,000-seat Barclays Center? The new spot is actually part of Barclays Center, and is described here: nydailynews

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 29, 2012 at 5:00 am

Good news indeed!!!!!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 28, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I just received word from the Brooklyn Borough President’s office that the Loew’s Kings project is definitely a GO!! The funding is in place and construction commencement is destined for the end of this year. This is good news.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 18, 2012 at 3:43 am

You named yourself perferctly ZiegfeldMan. I love the Ziegfeld Theater. It really is a movie palace! Somewhat modern, but truly beautiful. I would have loved to have seen the first Ziegfeld. Must have been great. For that matter I wish I saw the Capitol! I did see and was inside the Loews State & Paramount Times Sq. at the very end of their existence. These were major showplaces and I loved them both….

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 17, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I’m also working on several leads to truly ascertain progress. Will keep everyone posted. Happy Fathers Day!! As you can guess, the restoration of the Kings is VERY important to me (as is the continued maintenance of NYC’s last “movie Palace,” the all-important, Ziegfeld).

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Also loved the link.Gives me new hope for the King’s. Thanks for posting, Maybe the aunt could be brought on stage to get applause as the last manager of Loew’s!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 17, 2012 at 5:29 pm

You’re quite welcome. In fact as someone looking forward to the renovation of the Kings since I toured the place in the early 1980’s, I would actually like to meet your aunt, she must be filled with wonderful memories and I would love to see her memorabilia. In fact, I would like to meet you!!

Besides being Ziegfeldman, I am also known as the “Wolf,” after the Harvey Keitel character in “Pulp Fiction.” That is, I get things done.

Here’s what I’ve done relative to the Kings.

(1) I visited the Kings in the summer of 2010 just to see it again. As I stood outside, I imagined the rise like the Phoenix.

(2) I’ve followed on the net and saw that the first thing ACE had to do was file an environmental impact statement with the city. This is SOP, as ACE plans on not only renovation but adding to the stage area. There are also traffic implications.

(3)Here is the latest info from the NYCEDC dated 2012:

(4) This is from the website of ACE Theatrical Group, all about the restoration, in progress, now scheduled for completion in 2015—this is going to give your aunt a goal.

It is clear to me from the other work of ACE, that an extensive amount of “pre-production” is necessary to get this right. This is probably where we are at now in 2012.

(5) To give you hope, which, if you remember “Shawshank Redemption” is a good thing, I closely followed the restoration of the New Amsterdam Theatre on 42nd Street. That was a much more difficult project, but worth waiting for. It is the most beautiful theatre I have ever seen, anywhere.

Please e-mail me at

Best,

Gary

sgreenberg
sgreenberg on June 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Thanks you so much for that link, ZiegfeldMan.

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 16, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Dear SGreenberg:

Make sure you look at this, and if possible that she does also:

sgreenberg
sgreenberg on June 16, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I’m sorry to hear that things are going so slowly (or not at all). I’ve been hoping to be able to show my aunt, the last manager of the theater, some pictures of the renovation. I’m sure it would make her happy to see some progress. She’s in her late 90s and living upstate. Even if the renovation is completed soon, I doubt she’d be able to visit the theater. A pity.

Scott
Scott on June 8, 2012 at 12:22 am

Bobby, that’s good news about the Uptown. I guess we’ll see how it plays out.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 7, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Scott, my source is an insider associated with JAM. The Uptown Theatre will be the anchor in an entertainment district which will include the Riviera Theatre & the Green Mill club & the Aragon Ballroom. Alot has to come together and the mayor is behind this concept. I also think the Kings is in a better position long term as it looks today. But the plans in Chicago are very strong and the owners are moving ahead. I have yet to read any movement that is visable going on at the Kings.

Scott
Scott on June 7, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Bobby, I remain doubtful about the Uptown, but would love to eat my words someday. Hopefully your “source” is correct. The Kings seems like a much more viable project to me since it’s not located in a neighborhood, as is the Uptown. And I believe the Kings has parking issues that are easier to deal with.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 7, 2012 at 6:00 am

Scott, I have from a good source that JAM will have the financing in position in 2013 with a grand re-opening planned in 2015. Same year as the Kings. I plan on going to both the Uptown & Kings, both beautiful Rapp & Rapp palaces.