Loew's Metropolitan Theatre

392 Fulton Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

louieb
louieb on April 3, 2006 at 3:18 pm

Francesca,
I am anniegirl. I went to the met with my mom after we had lunch at Schrafft’s Resturant. As a child of 7 I thought the met was a High Class Movie Theater. I only went there 1 more time to see Heaven Knows Mr. Allison with Mitchum and Kerr. I hailed from Williamsburgh and spent most of my Saturday’s in A&S and Woolworths. Anniegirl.
posted by louieb on Mar.3,2006

judithblumenthal
judithblumenthal on April 3, 2006 at 11:48 am

I’m not sure if I’m reading disapproval into the last few replies, but do some Cinema Treasurists think each site is only about ONE movie theatre and only that?
Or am I misinterpreting “"Let’s stay on topic…” amd “we did manage to get off the subject of the Loew’s Metropolitan..”

My friends and I went to movie theatres and their next-door places, all over Brooklyn and Manhattan—and later, in Queens. Is that off topic? I contacted this site, not because it was my weekly theatre, but because we went there occasionally and I thought my high school graduation might have taken place there. In which case it would be one of my Cinema Treasures.

Goodheart
Goodheart on April 3, 2006 at 10:38 am

Sorry to cause any grief on this thread. We did manage to get off the subject of the Loew’s Meropolitan, and unfortunately it tends to happen.
Louieb, I’ll be posting my reply on the Williamsburg Theatre thread, regarding our discussion.

I will be posting a picture of an old movie ad from the 1940s of the Loew’s Metropolitan, here soon.

JoeB

louieb
louieb on April 3, 2006 at 9:22 am

To: lovetheoldtheaters and to everyone!!!!!!!
Listen everyone we can mix and match experiences. Besides the Met was a HIGH CLASS Theater to go to. Most people wore hat gloves to that Theater. It was so immaculate you could eat off the floors. To JoeB from Fla.Read my post about Woolworths and Thom McCann above Anniegirl
posted by louieb on Apr 3, 2006

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 3, 2006 at 5:15 am

There is also plenty of room for discussion of Williamsburgh at www.brooklynboard.com

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 3, 2006 at 5:11 am

Last time I looked the Metropolitan is located on Fulton Street in Downtown Brooklyn.

Let’s stay on topic here; I’m sure there is plenty of room on the Commodore and Williamsburgh pages for your musings.

judithblumenthal
judithblumenthal on April 3, 2006 at 4:06 am

I didn’t grow up in Anniegirl’s neighborhood, but I was smiling as I read her description of that shopping street, because I was on the phone last week to Oregon with my childhood friend, Rose—and we were remembering not only the Avalon, Kingsway, Triangle movie theatres on Kings Highway (all gone!) but the delis, record shop, Rainbow Shop, candy store, girl’s clothing store, Woolworths, Kresge’s, Perelman’s Pianos and many more. Then Saturday at a jazz concert I met a retired dentist who also went to James Madison H.S. He said: Do you remember our school song?
And I sang at a table in the Citicorp deli: “Madison! We’re ever loyal to thee—Madison! we will be true….”
You can see, like many on this site—I have nothing against nostalgia!

louieb
louieb on April 3, 2006 at 3:28 am

There was a Woolworths and a Thom McCan Shoe Store on the corner of Marcy and Broadway the same block as Woolworths. The BQE which is The Brooklyn Queens Expressway was on the right if you are lookling at Woolworths. and a Furniture Store Wharehouse across the street from the Commodore Theater next to the BQE. Do you remember the florist across the street from the Williamsburgh Theater. The name of the florist was Laskas Florist. I Knew the owner named Neal. He moved to Long Island in the 70’s and I ran into his niece one time and she told me he had passed away. I used to shop on Havemeyer Street at Jayz and I took my nephew to a boy’s shop across the street but I forgot the name. I used to get him Uniform Shirts for
Catholic School. Do you know the name of the shop? The Jewish Deli was across the street and the Pastrami King was on Roebling Street. Anniegirl.
Posted by louieb April 3rd 2006

Goodheart
Goodheart on April 1, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Anniegirl, I know what you mean about a theatre getting run down and also about the rodents.
In the 1960s I was living in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn and got acquainted with movie theatre’s in that area.
I do recall Stevens next to the Williamsburg theatre with all those goodies. I use to look in the window.
I also attended the Commodore once in a while and also the Marcy. I believe that of the 4 theatres in that area the Commodore was considered the elite one and charged higher admission that the others.
Wasn’t there a Woolworth’s store not far from the Commodore?

JoeB

louieb
louieb on April 1, 2006 at 4:18 pm

Dear JoeB afer a while the Williamsburgh got run down in the early 60’s and It wasnt a great place to see a movie anymore if u know what I mean. A lot of unwanted rodent’s. Do you remember Stevens which was next door to the Williamsburgh Theater. They had frozen Ice Cream and great B-Day cakes. I usually went to the Commodore
Theater down the block a ways. Lou’s wife Anniegirl
Posted by Louieb on April 1st, 2006

Goodheart
Goodheart on March 31, 2006 at 4:35 pm

Louieb, you can bring up my recollections about the movie theatre’s we spoke about by hitting lovetheoldtheaters which appears above under my last post. It will take you to the list of theater’s I posted about thus far.
Mrs. Louieb, I recall those Halloween costume party’s that some of the theaters use to have and it was fun. I believe of all the theater’s in that area I went to the Williamsburg the most.

Warren, I actually don’t know what the initials R&F stood for, but I do believe it referred to the Republic Theatre.

JoeB

louieb
louieb on March 31, 2006 at 7:59 am

I really don’t know it was called the R&R but it was the Republic Theater on Grand Street and Rodney Street in Williamsburgh /Brooklyn NY. Warren, I went to that movie several times.
posted by anniegirl Mar. 31, 2006

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 31, 2006 at 6:51 am

If the Republic was also called the R&F, what did those initials stand for?

louieb
louieb on March 31, 2006 at 6:30 am

Hey Joeb how do I retreive your posting on the movies we spoke about?posted by Anniegirl on Mar 31, 2006

louieb
louieb on March 31, 2006 at 6:22 am

Hey JoeB. I am louieb, wife. I was raised on Penn Street and moved to Bedford Avenue.I was born in 1945 so I went to lots of Saturday Movies when I was a child. I went to Transfiguration School on Marcy Avenue and always went to the Commodore and the R&F on Saturday’s. I saw I was a teenage werewolf with Michael Landon and was scared out of my wits. And I also participated in Holloween Costume Party’s on Stage at the Commodore Theater. Had lots of fun growing up in Brooklyn. posted by louieb on Mar 31, 2006

BruceIII
BruceIII on March 30, 2006 at 1:13 am

Often times the architects that built these theaters were the same people who designed and built the churches. So it’s not that surprising that the churches are converting theaters into houses of worship. At the corner of Nostrand and Eastern Parkway, was the Kameo Theater and now it’s the Philadelphia Church. I have been inside where I found the rumor to be true! They had covered over the nude statuary with gowns!

Goodheart
Goodheart on March 29, 2006 at 5:11 pm

Louieb, I posted some recollections under some of the theatre’s that yu mentioned including The Williamsburg, when I lived on South 8th St. as a boy. I also recall the Republic Theatre when it was also called the R&F.

JoeB

louieb
louieb on March 29, 2006 at 11:09 am

I am louieb’s wife and I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I remember going to the Brooklyn’s Albee Theater and seeing Doris Day and Rock Hudson in Pillow Talk. It was a good movie. I also went to the State Movie theater on DeKalb and Franklin Avenue many times. The red oriental rug that went from the upstairs men’s and ladies room to the very bottom of the stairs. What a Showplace.

louieb
louieb on March 29, 2006 at 10:55 am

Your right EdSolero. I got my people mixed up. Sorry about that.
My wife is looking for any pictures of the Domino Sugar House in Brooklyn. The one that you can see the sign at night all light up as you cross the Williamsburgh Bridge by train to Marcy Ave in Brooklyn.
Also does anybody remember the Coomodore Movie Theater on Broadway and Rodney Street in Williamsburgh and the Williamsburgh Movie Theater on Broadway near Marcy Ave and the Marcy Theater on Marcy and Broadway?. Also the Republic Movie on Grand and Rodney Street My wife was 8 in 1953 and went to the Republic she calls it the R&F and went across the street to get hot bagels at the Republic Bagel Factory. They baked the bagels right in front of you. UM UM
posted by louieb on March 29th, 2006

BruceIII
BruceIII on March 29, 2006 at 8:51 am

Part of my original Save The Kings group was Lester Binger. He was an usher at the Kings, but told me about his experience working at the Loew’s Metropolitan for a special engagement, ‘Gone With The Wind’. Everything was scrubbed and polished, this was an important film and the management wanted everything to be just so. Only very special ushers from the various Loew’s houses got the nod to work this special assignment.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 28, 2006 at 12:37 pm

In what year was that? “GWTW” had its first showing at Loew’s Metropolitan in early 1940, but had more subequent engagements as a re-issue.

Goodheart
Goodheart on March 27, 2006 at 5:35 pm

It was actually ViviEn Leigh. Though that was a funny reply.