Loew's Metropolitan Theatre

392 Fulton Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

judithblumenthal
judithblumenthal on November 21, 2005 at 5:20 pm

To Warren: I know the exact date my mother went into labor with me at the Loew’s Metropolitan. but no way will I publish it for the whole world to see. I keep thinking I’m 30. Francesca

uncleal923
uncleal923 on November 21, 2005 at 4:56 pm

lostmemory;
Do you think this company would also be interested in restoring the Loew’s Kings?

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 14, 2005 at 6:30 am

You got me there Warren. I’m British, born and bred and never heard of him. I knew about Thomas though, for at least the past 45 years of my life.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 14, 2005 at 6:15 am

Lost Memory;
You would think a restoration company with a reputation that Evergreene has, would get the architect of the building right! They give Charles Lamb !!! who he??? LOL

judithblumenthal
judithblumenthal on August 27, 2005 at 10:11 am

My mother claims that she went into labor with me at the Loew’s Metropolitan. The movie was so good that she insisted on staying on to the end, although the maternity hospital was in Manhattan. I believe my fascination with movies and movie palaces began that night. Francesca

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 13, 2005 at 3:39 am

Thanks Bill and Warren.
The advanced tickets and limited performances per day sounds correct. Thanks again for the info.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 12, 2005 at 5:07 pm

JohnG: According to Michael Coate and William Kallay’s 70mm in New York website, the only other 70mm showing of “Ben-Hur” was in Asbury Park, NJ. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a roadshow at the Metropolitan. A 35mm print was shown in a reserved seat engagement in Newark, NJ prior to opening wide in neighborhood theaters.

November 19:
Ben-Hur
MGM Camera 65 / Six-Track Stereo
Reserved Seat Engagement
MGM

Manhattan: [Loew’s] State

Includes World Premiere on November 18

Expanded release on May 26, 1960:
Asbury Park: [Walter Reade] St. James

Also see 1969 re-issue entry

RobertR
RobertR on July 12, 2005 at 5:02 pm

“Lili” seemed to open different then other MGM musicals. It played Trans-Lux for two years before going wide.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 12, 2005 at 5:01 pm

In RobertR’s post above, look at the ad for “Lili” at the Trans-Lux 52nd St. and Lexington: “2nd Year”. Wow …

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 12, 2005 at 5:00 pm

Isn’t the Livingston St. side the stagehouse?

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 12, 2005 at 3:29 pm

I remember seeing Ben-Hur at the Metropolitan. I was only about twelve or so at the time. I believe it was roadshow engagement. Can anyone verify that Ben-Hur played as a roadshow at the Metropolitan? Were there any other roadshow engagement there?

RobertR
RobertR on July 11, 2005 at 4:18 pm

A 1954 ad for “Julius Caeser” and “Gypsy Colt"

uncleal923
uncleal923 on June 8, 2005 at 3:41 pm

Bruce 1 or lostmmeory;
You may want to get the number of the building across the street. It may be only one digit down from it.

Bruce1
Bruce1 on May 22, 2005 at 7:17 pm

Lostmemory—The properties are right behind Bedford Avenue on Erasmus Street, but there is no address listed. A sign on the fence just lists the name of the developer! I will try to get a street-address.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 22, 2005 at 2:44 pm

I have seen some record books that showed the Metropolitan as a department store prior to becoming a cinema in the late teens. They were taken away from a “cinema historian” who visted my office in the late nineties and then disappeared with them.
Asshole!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 11, 2005 at 6:38 am

Below is a slightly edited version of this discussion that has been on the Brooklyn Paramount page:

*‘Loew’s Metropolitan’ was originally a department store. posted by Bruce1 on May 2, 2005 at 9:59pm

*I don’t think Loew’s Metropolitan was ever a department store.
posted by saps on May 3, 2005 at 7:40pm

*I have added details on the Loew’s Metropolitan page.
posted by KenRoe on May 4, 2005 at 6:36am

*I spent a lot of time with the architect hired by the last owners of the Loew’s Metropolitan as they prepared to correct the sight lines for the multiplex. While doing her research, she could not find the ‘original blueprints’ filed by Thomas Lamb. By the way, Lamb signed his name bigger than any signer of the Constitution.

She literally haunted the Municipal Archives till they discovered the blueprints under ‘revisions’. The Loew’s Met was originally built around 1914, but at that time it was positively a department store! posted by Bruce1 on May 4, 2005 at 9:02am

*Loew’s Metropolitan occupied the site of a department store, but it was not a conversion. The department store was totally demolished, and then the theatre was built on the underlying ground.
posted by Warren on May 4, 2005 at 9:34am

*That may be, but all the blueprints were missing when the search was made under ‘new’ construction and were later found under an earlier date, referencing the original construction.
posted by Bruce1 on May 11, 2005 at 8:24am

Bruce1
Bruce1 on May 11, 2005 at 5:37 am

Dear Lostmemory,
If you check the message board for the Loew’s Kings, you might want to join our efforts to Save The Kings. Obviously, you know how to check NYC real estate records as to lot and block number .. and with your co-operation, we could discover WHO is buying up all the property AROUND the Loew’s Kings.

My research has shown which property has been recently bought, but I need your help in finding who did the buying! Having this information will help our group in seeking the cooperation of a developer willing to restore the Loew’s Kings as the Kings County Center for the Performing Arts.
Bruce1 –

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 6, 2005 at 4:47 pm

No, the Fulton Street entrance is still used when the church has ‘busy’ services. Plus, with a capacity of over 3,500 I would think that the authorities would never allow for exits to be removed.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 6, 2005 at 7:51 am

lostmemory;
The address used today as the main entrance to the church at 17 Smith Street is what I believe was originally an additional entrance/exit which originally served the rear orchestra level of the theatre. It is around the corner to the original main entrance on Fulton Street and retains its original decorations.

The main original entrance to the theatre at 392 Fulton Street (now I believe known as Fulton Mall)serves today as a supplementary entrance/exit. For some reason the original facade on this entrance was taken down and rebuilt to a simpler design and the marquee removed when the theatre was being transformed into the Tabernacle Church. If memory serves me right there is a low one storey retail building adjacent to this entrance which could be the current #392 you describe in the property report above.

jays
jays on May 5, 2005 at 11:50 pm

wow! That was a great conversion who would ever thought in those days that you could convert an old department store an excisting structure into a movie palace.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 4, 2005 at 3:31 am

The Loew’s Metropolitan Theatre opened on 15th September 1918. It was not a ‘new build’, but a conversion by Thomas Lamb of the old Matthew’s Department Store that takes up virtually an entire city block. At the time of opening it was the largest theatre in Brooklyn (3,580 seats).

hardbop
hardbop on April 18, 2005 at 2:07 pm

There is a huge Regal multiplex that opened in the area.

With all the office workers in the Metroplex office complex adjacent to the downtown Brooklyn pedestrian mall it is a shame that downtown Brooklyn has declined. Gage & Tollner, a classic NYC restaurant, couldn’t make a go of it and closed its doors not all that long ago.

I remember walking around downtown Brooklyn in the eighties and there was another theater that may or may not have even been open in downtown Brooklyn on one of the side streets over near the Albee Square Mall. It might have been a single-screen theatre. What was the name of that theatre?

br91975
br91975 on September 30, 2004 at 7:39 pm

The Metropolitan ended its days as a movie house just prior to Memorial Day weekend, 1996.

skendi
skendi on July 26, 2004 at 3:15 pm

Does anyone know what movie played at the Loew’s Metropolitan theater in Brooklyn, N.Y. on December 1, 1943? It was my parent’s first date and they can’t remember what movie they saw.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2004 at 6:22 am

Here is some information on the seating capacity for each of the Metropolitan’s auditoriums. Theatre 1: 676 seats, Theatre 2: 698 seats, Theatre 3: 600 seats, Theatre 4: 599 seats.