Elmwood Theatre

57-02 Hoffman Drive,
Elmhurst, NY 11373

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on May 23, 2006 at 11:37 pm

Has anyone visited the Elmwood Theatre/Rock Community Church recently & taken photos of the restoration in progress? I would prefer interior shots, although my fellow members might find exterior shots beneficial as well. Much appreciated!

YeXDO
YeXDO on April 21, 2006 at 6:17 am

I have visited The Rock Church in Kissimmee, FL, close to Orlando and can reassure you that it is in great hands. The staff and leadership are doing a marvelous job remodeling the old arena area, lobby and foyer. This added to a high tempo of services every week! It’s great to see the dedication and commitment of their awesome staff. The greater Orlando area has many physically and spiritually needy folks just as any metro. They’re helping to save more than buildings here. My hat is off for the distance they’ve come to date and I pray for their continued success supporting the disadvantaged that live in our communities.

stevenl
stevenl on April 19, 2006 at 10:02 pm

first movie i saw there was Godfather last movie seen there Golden child with ed murphy.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on April 4, 2006 at 5:40 pm

I think somebody finally stole the hat.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 4, 2006 at 5:19 pm

Certainly more charming than any of the current non-trailer “pre-show” reels they play in most theaters today. Thanks for sharing that, Robert. Brought back some memories. I seem to recall that played in the late 1980’s or maybe early ‘90’s? Anyone remember that reel that featured Dom DeLuise? I forget which theaters it played in. Possibly Loew’s, but maybe the old Redstone or National Amusements? And whatever happened to all those Will Rogers Institute pass-the-hat ads?

RobertR
RobertR on March 29, 2006 at 11:44 am

Remember this cute Loew’s short?

Bway
Bway on March 9, 2006 at 4:07 am

Any photos available of the progress inside?

Bway
Bway on March 9, 2006 at 4:03 am

While we are all sad that the Elmwood will no longer be showing movies anymore, I am so glad that it is in good hands in it’s new life. May you have many years of happiness in the old theater as your new church. It’s the next best thing after it’s original use for the building. It’s so nice to see it is in loving hands, and not going to be gutted for retail.

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on March 8, 2006 at 9:15 am

You deserve it. Fabulous! All the best always!!!

RockChurch
RockChurch on March 8, 2006 at 8:51 am

I am a congregant with The Rock Church. You should all know about the treasure that you are seeing. We received this church as a gift from God after years of being “homeless” and no facility.
After years of praying and serving thousands of people in our community through programs for youth and children, theater and social services we received not only the elmwood theater as a home, but also another mega arena in Orlando, Florida that seats 5000 people. The Elmwood theater will be known as the diamond of Queens whose renovation and restoration is being monitored and prepared by some the best architectural minds in the nation. You will shortly see that many will come from all over to participate in our theatrical productions, school and other programs. There will be a formal unveiling of this treasure. Do not worry there will never be another owner of this theater besides the Rock Church.

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on January 27, 2006 at 7:37 pm

TIMES LEDGER: View link

Church’s renovation of theater in Elmhurst saves historic site
By Adam Pincus
01/26/2006

Preservationists are applauding the efforts of a Christian church to convert a historic movie theater in Elmhurst into an auditorium for their congregation, saving a 1928 building that was considered for demolition.

Faith Ministries Inc. has slowly rehabilitated the building, which it purchased in 2002 from Sony Loews Theatres, while holding services at 57-02 Hoffman Dr., which it is calling the Rock Community Church.

“It’s great that they are fixing it up,” said Richard Italiano, chairman of Community Board 4 which covers Elmhurst and Corona.

The 2,200-seat theater began as a combination movie theater and vaudeville space under the name Queensboro Theatre, although its early years were not easy, writer and historian Warren Harris said.

Harris grew up on a street just behind the theater and said his mother attended opening night when the theater ran a silent version of “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” and several vaudeville routines. But attendance was weak during the Depression and Harris said the building spent much of its first 18 years dark.

The building had its first makeover in 1946, when the name was changed to Elmwood. In 1979 Sony Loews bought the property and subsequently divided the space into four theaters.

In 1999, the possible demolition of the building was included as part of a deal proposed by the Mattone Group to build an 18-theater multiplex in a nearby site. That deal was put on hold, however, and three years later Sony Loews sold the property.

Councilwoman Helen Sears (D-Jackson Heights) said the rehabilitation was good for the neighborhood.
“Anything they do will be an improvement because that facility needed to have repairs,” she said.

Michael Perlman, a Queens preservationist, said the theater was a prime example of the borough’s ornate movie palaces.
“I am happy that they decided to restore the Elmwood Theatre to its former glory,” Perlman said. He noted that other historic theaters, such as the Trylon Theatre in Forest Hills and the RKO Keith’s in Flushing, are facing significant alterations as they are renovated.

The Trylon, built for the 1939 World’s Fair, is being converted into a Jewish community center; while developers plan to convert RKO Keith’s into a mix of residential and commercial uses.

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on January 19, 2006 at 7:28 am

Hi Warren! I see we were both quoted. You did a superb job, & reporter Nicholas Hirshon wrote a solid piece!!! Hopefully, something should be done right now, prior to a different ownership. I will work on convincing the LPC to landmark the Elmwood in the near future. I still did not give up on the Trylon. It’s not an easy battle, but victory is determination! – Michael Perlman

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on January 19, 2006 at 6:04 am

Yes! Nice job, Warren.

Bway
Bway on January 19, 2006 at 5:19 am

Good article. I see you are quoted Warren!

Bway
Bway on January 16, 2006 at 7:53 am

Ah yes, it could be your browser or the settings on your computer.
When I just leave the pointer over the photos, the location comes up in a little white box.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on January 16, 2006 at 7:47 am

Warren, I just went to that link and I get the whole page of unidentified photos, with the Elmwood as the fifth one down. Bway, I can’t get that to happen with my mouse. I suspect these differences are probably because I’m on a Mac and using the Safari browser.

Bway
Bway on January 16, 2006 at 6:39 am

Warren, here’s the theater link. If you hold the mouse pointer over the photos, without pressing, it will automatically give the address of the location of the theaters:

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on January 15, 2006 at 6:44 pm

There’s a good photo of the Elmwood exterior undergoing renovations at View link if you scroll down that page of theater photos. Unfortunately, what’s infuriating about Bridge and Tunnel Club is they post no captions or explanations whatsoever. Although they provide a link to Cinema Treasures, they have a whole page of great photos of ex-NYC movie palaces with no way to tell which theaters half of them are!

cinemaguy220
cinemaguy220 on January 2, 2006 at 7:06 am

Thanks Warren! If anyone sees anything else going on there, I’d appreciate a post here so I know about it. I remember going to the Elmwood about 6 or 7 years ago.

cinemaguy220
cinemaguy220 on December 31, 2005 at 10:14 am

Does anyone know the latest about happenings at the Elmwood? I haven’t heard anything recently and am wondering how work on the church is moving along. I’m also a bit worried that some history inside could be destroyed.

cinemaguy220
cinemaguy220 on December 31, 2005 at 10:14 am

cinemaguy220
cinemaguy220 on December 31, 2005 at 10:14 am

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on December 20, 2005 at 2:28 pm

Hi Jeffrey! Thank you very much for your help!!!

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 20, 2005 at 2:17 pm

A Google search turned up:
Rock Community Church
(718) 651-2950
5702 Hoffman Dr
Flushing, NY 11373

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on December 20, 2005 at 1:17 pm

Hi!
Does anyone have a phone number or e-mail address for the Rock Community Church, which is housed in the Elmwood Theatre? Please post or e-mail Thanking you in advance!