Fox Theatre

6508 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 9, 2006 at 7:46 am

Exactly. One could spend an entire two or three days just going from movie theater to movie theater, catching all the latest, which is what I frequently used to do. Just start at the Chinese, then to the Paramount, then over to the Hollywood, then to the Egyptian, the Vogue, the Warner Cinerama (then the Pacific’s), the Fox (or Iris), and I’d even do the New View, Admiral, and the Academy in the early 60s. Back then, even the Iris and the Hollywood were nice and comfy theaters. Each theater had its own personality, which is what I loved about the nabes, too. I’ve written about these theaters in my various novels so much that I fear I will write myself out, and yet I never do – I never tire of describing the magic of what it was like togokjkjkjkjkjk

William
William on October 9, 2006 at 7:34 am

You’re right, I remember when all the theatres on Hollywood Blvd. were all open showing movies. If you did not catch the film at the Chinese, Dome, Paramount, Pacific or the Egyptian #1, it all ended up at the World. Those were the days.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 9, 2006 at 7:08 am

The owners should be run out of town on a rail. I’ll tell you something – if they renovated and re-opened these two theaters my guess is that they’d do well as movie theaters – like the El Capitan has. Warners should do that with the Pacific’s – make it their flagship theater. If the Dome can operate as a theater, so can these. Nightclubs – phooey.

William
William on October 9, 2006 at 6:56 am

Richard, The Fox Theatre has been gutted for along time now. And the current owners plan to turn this former theatre into a nightclub, along with the nearby Vogue Theatre. Somewhat in the lines of the ElRey Theatre on Wilshire Blvd..

RichardTerusso
RichardTerusso on October 8, 2006 at 10:46 pm

I am currently looking for any Old Theatres in which to lease or possibly buy in Reseda, Van Nuys, Hollywood or North Hollywood. It has been my Long life Dream to renevate and own my own Theatre/ Venue. Please e-mail me at or call me at 310-597-9398 if youo live here!! Thanks.Rick

P.S. If you also live in the areas in which I am looking and want to help please contact me as well!!

Pine
Pine on September 11, 2006 at 5:04 am

Continued. I could go on and on with the stories but they wouldn’t be suitable for this post.

Pine
Pine on September 11, 2006 at 4:57 am

Continued from my previous post. Cher and a friend came in one day for a matinee and ordered cokes and popcorn with extra butter. They were very nice. An older man named Slim worked as one of the doormen. Everyday he would order a Dr. Pepper with a candy bar. I felt sorry for him. I remember when when the film Easy Rider premiered there and the lines were around the block.

Pine
Pine on September 11, 2006 at 4:50 am

I worked at this theater during the summer of 1969 and a few other times after that. I was 18 and 19 years old and made $1.65 an hour. Mr. Duff was the manager. He was an alcoholic and sometimes on the make with the girls. I worked as a loan out at other theaters and other managers were like that too. It was a bad scene, overall. My best friend from high school helped me get the job. She and another friend bought drugs from a red haired guy who would come by everyday carrying a paper sack. I ended my friednship with her and went to beauty school down the street. Sometimes I’d worked nights at Fox and go to school during the day. I took the city bus home at midnight. I lived on Van Ness below Franklin Avenue. It was scary.

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on September 7, 2006 at 11:08 am

Just got back from Cinecon in Hollywood. It’s STILL standing there dark and empty!

moviebear1
moviebear1 on June 5, 2006 at 6:46 am

Does anyone out there have any high quality pictures of the S. Charles Lee front of the theatre? that would be the late 50’s early 60’s. I’d love to see what the boxoffice looked like as well as clear shots of the marquee.

Matt Spero

moviebear1
moviebear1 on June 5, 2006 at 6:41 am

I was working as the projectionist at the Fox showing the Paul Simon film “One Trick Pony” the night that John Lennon was shot. I came down from the booth to get a soda when someone told me the news. At first I thought it was a bad joke but unfortunatly it wasn’t.

Anyway I remember that it was a fairly small theatre and the screen wasn’t very large… but it did have the then new, Dolby Stereo system and even 70mm projctors.

Matt Spero

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 16, 2006 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info about the Vogue – very helpful. My film played the Fox in 1976 for several weeks.

William
William on February 16, 2006 at 2:46 pm

In Ken Roe’s post from Jan. 2nd. 2005. He has the closing year as 1994. The Mann’s Hollywood Theatre closed in 1991. And the Fox was the next theatre to close in 1991 and then the Vogue Theatre. The Vogue closed in the late summer/early fall 1992.

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 12, 2006 at 10:31 pm

I went to the Iris a few times, and then, much later, a film I wrote and directed premiered at the Fox. I have a photo somewhere of the marquee – what a thrill!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 4, 2005 at 8:03 am

From the Bruce Torrence collection:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 11, 2005 at 4:53 pm

A photo by Arnold Hylen, circa 1959:

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 29, 2005 at 4:35 pm

ken mc: The former Warner Hollywood became the Pacific 1-2-3.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 29, 2005 at 4:24 pm

Can anyone tell me where the Warners' Theater seen in the above photos is listed? Thanks.

BhillH20
BhillH20 on October 12, 2005 at 1:50 pm

That’s the one!

RobertR
RobertR on October 12, 2005 at 10:51 am

Is this the same theatre?

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on August 26, 2005 at 6:27 am

I told a lie. Also saw Tender Mercies here in April, 1983.