Marboro Theatre

6817 Bay Parkway,
Brooklyn, NY 11204

br91975
br91975 on October 5, 2004 at 4:50 am

To follow up on Robert’s comment from August 30th, the Battery Park City Stadium 11 was also rechristened as a Regal site.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on October 5, 2004 at 4:42 am

Nothing at all, since the last time Regal sealed it with plywood boards. The only additions have been a ton of grafiti on the side of the theatre and where the front entrance is boarded up. Regal finally boarded the place up pretty well, so I don’t think there have been any more break in attempts. I doubt we will see anything happen until demolition begins next May.

RobertR
RobertR on October 5, 2004 at 4:16 am

Has anyone seen anything going on here?

RobertR
RobertR on August 30, 2004 at 6:17 am

Technically there is no more UA, they just leave it up on the theatres that have it, although they did change Union Square to Regal.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 30, 2004 at 6:07 am

I also wonder if it will be run under the United Artists Theatres banner or under Regal Cinemas. I do hope they keep the name Marboro as the actual theatre name.

YMike
YMike on August 30, 2004 at 5:26 am

They could just call it The Marboro Multiplex. I just hope they buid it.

RobertR
RobertR on August 30, 2004 at 4:57 am

I hope in typical UA fashion they dont rename it The Movies at Bay Parkway. I hate all these new theatres names after streets. It would be great to see names like The Avalon, Capitol or Belvedere used again.

TSUalum93
TSUalum93 on August 30, 2004 at 2:52 am

A friend told me she read and article in the Brooklyn Spectator that confirmed a multiplex at the old Marlboro. I was trying to find the article online and could not but I did find this site. The theatre closed on my birthday two years ago and it is missed. We are two blocks away from it and really would love to have a theatre right near us again.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 25, 2004 at 2:16 am

Is United Artists going to run this theater.

MarkW
MarkW on August 24, 2004 at 4:40 pm

I doubt it will be any more then 8 screens…

YMike
YMike on August 23, 2004 at 2:22 am

I was right. I thought they would demolish and start from scratch. Given the condition of this theatre its the right way to go. It will be great to see films in the neighborhood again in 2006.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 20, 2004 at 10:45 am

I guuess that means we won’t be getting the Midway treatment on this one. Do we have any idea yet how many screens the new multiplex will have?

MarkW
MarkW on August 20, 2004 at 8:57 am

Well, It’s official. The Marboro will be torn down in May so the new multiplex can be built.

MarkW
MarkW on August 12, 2004 at 11:30 am

Just stopped by the Marboro. Early this morning, The entrance was sealed with 4x8 sheets of plywood. Unless it is removed, There is now no way in (Including for the owners as all other doors are locked from inside) Let’s see how long this lasts.

YMike
YMike on August 11, 2004 at 5:28 am

Someone should call Regal and find out if they plan to demolish the entire structure and rebuil from scratch. That might explain why nothing has been done to keep people out.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 11, 2004 at 4:51 am

I called Regal Entertaintment Group this morning to let them know someone ripped the boards off the front door got inside and turned on the the lights, apparently the marquee lights were on all night. The person I spoke with said they would alert the district supervisor to this problem, lets hope something gets done.

Bway
Bway on August 11, 2004 at 3:59 am

The Plaza Theater in Patchogue had a similar problem (see The Plaza theater on this site). It was constantly being broken into. They would sal the door, and they would go in, over and over. Finally they boarded the whole thing, and they pried the boards off over and over.
Finally they cement blocked the whole front up, and that finally put a stop to it.
Looking at the interior photos (also linked in that page) to the Marboro’s photos, they look strikingly similar in condition, just the Plaza’s condition multiplied worse because it has been abandoned so much longer.

br91975
br91975 on August 10, 2004 at 5:27 pm

I’m surprised the city hasn’t boarded up the entire entrance; I’d have to think that would serve as a stronger deterrent instead of simply sealing up… and sealing up again… and sealing up YET AGAIN one vandalized doorway.

MarkW
MarkW on August 10, 2004 at 3:54 pm

Well they acted on my call. I just passed by and found the marquee all lit up. The door had been boarded shut, well at least for a few hours……….. And has since been pried right back open. The saga continues. I guess they thought that the lights being on will stop any more breakins. It seems that they were wrong. It was nice seeing the lights on again. I will post any updates.

-Mark

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 10, 2004 at 8:30 am

Whatever Regal is going to do i hope they do it soon, this place is about to collapse in on itself at any given moment.

YMike
YMike on August 10, 2004 at 7:42 am

Maybe Regal is just going to demolish the entire block of buildings including the Marboro and build a new theatre from scratch. I would think this would be the best way to go considering the state of the Marboro.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on August 10, 2004 at 12:01 am

I think those people were making home movies in there.

It would be nicer if they showed regular movies again.

Bway
Bway on August 9, 2004 at 6:11 pm

What a shame. I am sure that the theater has deteriorated significantly from when those photos in the link above were taken. It’s sad that between neglect, and worse, intruders, the theater gets worse by the day.

MarkW
MarkW on August 9, 2004 at 5:52 pm

Passed by tonight and found the doors wide open and people coming out. I don’t want to think of what they were doing in there. I called 311 and was put through to the Buildings dept. They said there are several complaints and that Regal will be getting a call and the theatre a visit from an inspector.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 9, 2004 at 8:13 am

The Marboro is in awfull shape, I don’t think anything inside can be salvaged at this point. There is horrible water damage in the two former upstairs theatres and along the side walls of the two downstairs ones as well. Regal is just going to gut this entire cinema and rebuild it from scratch inside the shell. Other than the side walls above the exits and a chandelier upstairs, a lot of this theatres original ornamentation was lost forever in the quading process in the 1970’s