Loew's Pitkin Theatre

1501 Pitkin Avenue,
Brownsville,
Brooklyn, NY 11212

LuisV
LuisV on April 5, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Is it fair to say that the Loew’s Pitkin is the 3rd largest movie palace in the city just sitting in decay? The largest, of course, is The Kings in Brooklyn and the 2nd largest (by just a few seats over the Pitkin) is the RKO Keiths in Flushing. The Brooklyn Paramount doesn’t count because it is not decaying. I assume what is left of it is being taken care of by LIU. Maybe that’s assuming too much. Are there any others?

creativa
creativa on April 5, 2008 at 12:27 pm

i sometimes heard it pronounced, in the neighborhood as low-eez.

sylvia

creativa
creativa on January 28, 2008 at 12:27 pm

The Palace secondarily, others (Hopkinson, Stadium, Sutter) are wrapped up in general descriptions.

BTW The cover, is kitzl park (Zion Memorial) backed up by a view of the Legion St. side of the Pitkin.

But the emphasis of the chapter is on the vital role of the Pitkin, and the way it was experienced by Brownsville residents. My aim was, if you had lived it before, to take you back, just short of eating the popcorn and nonpareils. And if you had not, to re-create it for you in as much depth as a printed page could offer.

creativa
creativa on January 27, 2008 at 5:50 pm

it’s one of those ideas that alights on different spots.

Astyanax
Astyanax on January 27, 2008 at 5:24 pm

And I always thought that the original Kitzl Park was in Williamsburg at the juncture of Lee Ave. & Roebling St. and not in Brownsville backing on the Loews Pitkin.

creativa
creativa on January 27, 2008 at 4:39 pm

my book is finally out! and as promised, it features an entire chapter about the loew’s pitkin and other local brownsville cinemas. it talks about the pitkin experience in detail, showcases some photos that round out the impression. thanks to all who shared some of the photos with me. it can be ordered through amazon, or personally through me. here’s my link – View link

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on December 12, 2007 at 10:44 am

Yes, I have a Photobucket account. I’ll try to get some of those images scanned and posted.

In looking at the film coverage and photos of Mr. Lewis' theater tours, both RKO and Loew’s had police escorts to arrange for a quick passage to each theater.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 12, 2007 at 10:19 am

Hey Bob… Do you have a photobucket account? It’d be fun to have you share those photos here! The tight schedules on those promo tours through the local Loew’s or RKO chain always amazed me. Five minutes onstage and then dash off and fight traffic to get to the next appearance in some other neighborhood. I just think of the congestion on some of the borough thoroughfares today and it makes me laugh. I presume that the streets were not nearly as gridlocked back then as they can be these days. Or did the promoters arrange for police escort?

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on December 12, 2007 at 9:30 am

I have some photos of Jerry Lewis at the Pitkin in 1960 when he appeared on stage promoting “The Bellboy.”

larryb
larryb on November 15, 2007 at 11:48 am

Sylvia-do you have any photos of opening day or news accounts of the opening? I am particularly interested in a parade or marching band at the opening.

PKoch
PKoch on November 14, 2007 at 6:02 pm

Thanks, Sylvia.

creativa
creativa on November 14, 2007 at 6:00 pm

the organist who played during intermissions or at vaudeville shows.

PKoch
PKoch on November 14, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Who is she, Sylvia ?

creativa
creativa on November 14, 2007 at 3:16 pm

i have a photo of henrietta kammern. there’s even a recording on edison of her playing

sylvia

PKoch
PKoch on November 14, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Good for you, Sylvia. I’m not sure I can help you rescue the Loew’s Pitkin, though.

creativa
creativa on November 14, 2007 at 3:05 pm

ouch. it would be great to rescue rehab and turn this building into a museum of brownsville’s unique history and classic film. anybody know how to make this happen??

sylvia

ps i am preparing my new book Brownsville: The Jewish Years for publication. It has an entire chapter on the LOEW’s PITKIN!!!!!!

PKoch
PKoch on November 9, 2007 at 5:15 pm

Perhaps all too true, cypress.

PKoch
PKoch on November 9, 2007 at 5:14 pm

Thanks, Ed Solero. An interesting, and probably significant, comparison to one of the five Loew’s “wonder” theatres of 1929 and 1930.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 9, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Wow… Look at that roof damage! The inside must in a complete shambles! The motif of the tower above the corner entrance appears nearly identical to that of Lamb’s Loew’s 175th Street Theatre, albeit on a somewhat smaller scale.

Scholes188
Scholes188 on November 9, 2007 at 5:07 pm

It looks like they are going to demolish that beautiful building and replace it with an ugly condo.

PKoch
PKoch on November 9, 2007 at 4:38 pm

Thanks, Ken Roe. Good work. Good to read you. Hadn’t, for awhile. Glad you’re back on CT, and on the page of so illustrious a theater as the Pitkin.

PKoch
PKoch on October 29, 2007 at 10:24 am

Good idea, cypress. I hope you find that picture, too.

Scholes188
Scholes188 on October 27, 2007 at 9:09 am

I don’t know the name of the rapper but he has a home theater with a marquee that reads, LOEW’S PITKIN. I think it’s 50 Cents. I would love to find that picture.

nonsportsnut
nonsportsnut on August 22, 2007 at 12:25 am

Hi,

I’m a member of the Three Stooges Fan Club in Pennsylvania. The Fan Club also has a museum: www.stoogeum.com

The Fan Club is presently trying to compile a list of all Three Stooges personal appearances. We’re sure there were personal appearances in the Asbury Park area. The era may range from 1930’s to 1980’s. Please let us know how a search like this could be done. The 1960’s to 1980’s appearances may have been in connection with Officer Joe Bolton.

Thanks,