Loew's Pitkin Theatre

1501 Pitkin Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11212

creativa
creativa on April 7, 2008 at 2:33 pm

this breaks my heart. have you seen the travesty of architecture that this rehab has come up with?puts me in mind of Howard Roark in “The Fountainhead”.

so that leaves the grandeur that was the low-eez pitkin to memory. i am thankful for the preservation and honor i gave it in my chapter dedicated to the pitkin experience in my book BROWNSVILLE: THE JEWISH YEARS. I include interiors, exteriors, even a picture of the organ and of course, memories of its glory days. If you look at the list of 100 great American films, a chunk of them made their neighborhood first runs here — be it Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Best Years of Our Lives, The Ten Commandments, not to omit great cartoons, the chapters, the Paramount News. If it was worth seeing, I saw it at the Pitkin. Farewell old friend, sylvia (the kid with the four siblings, a big lunch bag for 5, and a big box of nonpareils)

mp775
mp775 on April 7, 2008 at 11:41 am

The interior already has been lost. The ceiling had fallen to the floor, and much of the ornamentation was stripped away by vandals and scavengers over the years. Add to that some workers performing interior demolition back in 2003 or ‘04 — I don’t know the extent of their work, but it’s likely that the interior has already been in a landfill for a few years.

Since signs stating “Another POKO Development” are already posted on the sidewalk bridge, I think the project is going ahead.

LuisV
LuisV on April 7, 2008 at 8:30 am

I never had any real hope that this palace could be saved; too much damage and a very poor location. It appears from the links posted above that much of the very handsome exterior will be preserved, but I assume that all of the interior (or what’s left of it) will be lost.

At the end of the day, the preservation of the Pitkin’s exterior is probably the best that could be hoped for. The eyesore of this abandoned building will be replaced with new retail and much needed affordable housing.

Every time a palace is lost, it hurts. From the photos I’ve seen, this one was particularly beautiful and therefore even more painful. But all of them cannot be saved. Our concentration needs to be focussed on those with the most promise; specifically, in the case of Brooklyn, The Loews’s Kings and The Brooklyn Paramount. In Queens, it’s probably too late for the RKO Keiths Flushing, but not too late for the RKO Keiths Richmond Hill. A movement is now afoot to save the just shuttered Ridgewood.

With every palace that is lost, every remaining palace becomes even more valuable.

mp775
mp775 on April 7, 2008 at 8:10 am

The building is going to be converted to affordable housing and retail space.

A rendering of the project can be seen at architect Kitchen & Associates' website:

LuisV
LuisV on April 7, 2008 at 6:21 am

Warren, thanks for the link to the ad which proclaims “Loew and Behold!” That’s brilliant. It’s not as clever when you say “Low-eez and Behold”. Unless, of course, if youse guys are from Brooklyn. :–)

Bev
Bev on April 6, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Sylvia is right…it was “low-eez”…or more formally “loweezpitkin”—-or just “the pitkin”.

Bev

LuisV
LuisV on April 5, 2008 at 10:39 am

Is it fair to say that the Loew’s Pitkin is the 3rd largest movie palace in the city just sitting in decay? The largest, of course, is The Kings in Brooklyn and the 2nd largest (by just a few seats over the Pitkin) is the RKO Keiths in Flushing. The Brooklyn Paramount doesn’t count because it is not decaying. I assume what is left of it is being taken care of by LIU. Maybe that’s assuming too much. Are there any others?

creativa
creativa on April 5, 2008 at 9:27 am

i sometimes heard it pronounced, in the neighborhood as low-eez.

sylvia

creativa
creativa on January 28, 2008 at 9:27 am

The Palace secondarily, others (Hopkinson, Stadium, Sutter) are wrapped up in general descriptions.

BTW The cover, is kitzl park (Zion Memorial) backed up by a view of the Legion St. side of the Pitkin.

But the emphasis of the chapter is on the vital role of the Pitkin, and the way it was experienced by Brownsville residents. My aim was, if you had lived it before, to take you back, just short of eating the popcorn and nonpareils. And if you had not, to re-create it for you in as much depth as a printed page could offer.

creativa
creativa on January 27, 2008 at 2:50 pm

it’s one of those ideas that alights on different spots.

Astyanax
Astyanax on January 27, 2008 at 2:24 pm

And I always thought that the original Kitzl Park was in Williamsburg at the juncture of Lee Ave. & Roebling St. and not in Brownsville backing on the Loews Pitkin.

creativa
creativa on January 27, 2008 at 1:39 pm

my book is finally out! and as promised, it features an entire chapter about the loew’s pitkin and other local brownsville cinemas. it talks about the pitkin experience in detail, showcases some photos that round out the impression. thanks to all who shared some of the photos with me. it can be ordered through amazon, or personally through me. here’s my link – View link

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on December 12, 2007 at 7:44 am

Yes, I have a Photobucket account. I’ll try to get some of those images scanned and posted.

In looking at the film coverage and photos of Mr. Lewis' theater tours, both RKO and Loew’s had police escorts to arrange for a quick passage to each theater.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 12, 2007 at 7:19 am

Hey Bob… Do you have a photobucket account? It’d be fun to have you share those photos here! The tight schedules on those promo tours through the local Loew’s or RKO chain always amazed me. Five minutes onstage and then dash off and fight traffic to get to the next appearance in some other neighborhood. I just think of the congestion on some of the borough thoroughfares today and it makes me laugh. I presume that the streets were not nearly as gridlocked back then as they can be these days. Or did the promoters arrange for police escort?

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on December 12, 2007 at 6:30 am

I have some photos of Jerry Lewis at the Pitkin in 1960 when he appeared on stage promoting “The Bellboy.”

larryb
larryb on November 15, 2007 at 8:48 am

Sylvia-do you have any photos of opening day or news accounts of the opening? I am particularly interested in a parade or marching band at the opening.

PKoch
PKoch on November 14, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Thanks, Sylvia.

creativa
creativa on November 14, 2007 at 3:00 pm

the organist who played during intermissions or at vaudeville shows.

PKoch
PKoch on November 14, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Who is she, Sylvia ?

creativa
creativa on November 14, 2007 at 12:16 pm

i have a photo of henrietta kammern. there’s even a recording on edison of her playing

sylvia

PKoch
PKoch on November 14, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Good for you, Sylvia. I’m not sure I can help you rescue the Loew’s Pitkin, though.

creativa
creativa on November 14, 2007 at 12:05 pm

ouch. it would be great to rescue rehab and turn this building into a museum of brownsville’s unique history and classic film. anybody know how to make this happen??

sylvia

ps i am preparing my new book Brownsville: The Jewish Years for publication. It has an entire chapter on the LOEW’s PITKIN!!!!!!

PKoch
PKoch on November 9, 2007 at 2:15 pm

Perhaps all too true, cypress.

PKoch
PKoch on November 9, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Thanks, Ed Solero. An interesting, and probably significant, comparison to one of the five Loew’s “wonder” theatres of 1929 and 1930.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 9, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Wow… Look at that roof damage! The inside must in a complete shambles! The motif of the tower above the corner entrance appears nearly identical to that of Lamb’s Loew’s 175th Street Theatre, albeit on a somewhat smaller scale.