Bellerose Theater

245-14 Jericho Turnpike,
Floral Park, NY 11001

Bway
Bway on April 24, 2008 at 8:59 am

Warren, the community of “Bellerose” is not “Soley in Queens”. I know people that live in Bellerose, but are in Nassau County. I have no idea what the offical address of this theater is, or what it should be, but Bellerose is NOT only in Queens, it also is contained partly in Nassau County.

Okay, next, I did a mapquest search for this address and it turns up for Bellerose:

Next, according to my Nassau County atlas by Hagstroms, the SOUTH side of Jericho Turnpike in THIS location IS in NASSAU county. The county line runs down the middle of the street, and north of the turnpike is Queens, and south of the turnpike is NASSAU.
Now, here is where the problem lies….. The theater IS in Bellerose, and IS in Nassau county. HOWEVER, the area of Bellerose, a part that is IN Nassau county, from the county line, almong Jericho….north of the RAILROAD tracks, and west of Remsen Ave….while WHOLEY in Nassau IS SERVED by the Floral Park Post office…..

So in summary, the theater IS fully in Bellerose. It IS fully in NASSAU, but the post office of Floral Park serves their mail.

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on April 23, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Corrected. Thanks, Lost!

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on April 23, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Patrick,

Understood! But you DO have your hands full!

If the residents of the (incorporated) Village of Bellerose, or the (unincorporated) hamlet of Bellerose Terrace were polled, few (if any) would admit to being part of Floral Park.

Furthermore, I’d be willing to bet that a substantial majority indicate “Bellerose” as their mailing address, notwithstanding the fact that they must use the required “11001” ZIP code (see my earlier comment on this subject).

Warren,

Re, “The Bellerose Theatre was one of the landmarks of Bellerose, Queens.”

Sorry, but you are dead wrong! The theatre is – and has always been – located in Bellerose Terrace, an unincorporated hamlet of the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County!

You appear to speak of two other theatres in Floral Park. Besides the Floral – where I worked for 2 years – what is the other one?

Greg

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on April 23, 2008 at 3:04 pm

To clarify my remarks, Greg, we’re most interested in finding an address that will map properly on Google Maps.

This may or may not be the official mailing address. We should all keep in mind that addresses are always an approximation… there’s never a true right answer.

Ultimately, our goal is to use the most current, most active address that will allow us to successfully map the location of a theater. Secondarily, we’ll try to preserve the historical address, especially in cases where roads have disappeared, etc.

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on April 23, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Warren,

Sorry, I was composing my earlier note when you released yours this morning. Had I seen it before my own release, I would have elaborated a bit more.

Longislandmovies is right. If you ignore the (unshared) ZIP codes and post office names, there is Bellerose in Queens, the Incorporated Village of Bellerose, and the (unincorporated) hamlet of Bellerose Terrace in Nassau.

BTW, did you know that much of Greater Bellerose (yes, all three) was developed by the same female builder – Helen Marsh – starting around 1900; with the wealthier (now incorporated) Village going up first? The Queens side started around 1910, and Bellerose Terrace a bit later.

Also, Bellerose (i.e., Beautiful Rose) was named by the builder to call attention to its proximity to Floral Park; which was developed by the wealthy florist, John Lewis Childs.

BTW, I just saw your latest note. Isn’t it wonderful how our politicians and their bureaucrats can cause us all to trip up over our own underwear?

Patrick,

I respectfully disagree:

(1) For several decades, the Jamaica (regional) post office has been trying to get everyone to use “Jamaica, NY” (with local 114XX ZIP codes, of course) with little success. In fact, the USPS has ruled that a proper street address (or PO Box), plus a proper ZIP code, is enough to get the mail delivered.

(2) A “community” address – particularly if designated by the post office – is of little comfort to the non-local. The primary purpose of a street address is to assist fire and emergency service personnel; and to reasonably expect proper mail delivery (LOL)…

Greg

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on April 23, 2008 at 2:50 pm

History isn’t screwed, Warren.

We plan to update Cinema Treasures soon to support the idea of an historical address. That way, we can store the original address and the current address… and everyone will be happy.

But, mainly, we use the current address so folks who’d like to visit theaters have a chance to actually find them. It’s a lot easier to say “go to this address” than “go to Floral Park, but it’s really called Bellerose, and look for Jamaica Ave, but it might be called Jericho Turnpike”.

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on April 23, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Ultimately, we have to go with the official mailing address.

While the local community might know an area by a different name, the address is really there to guide non-locals.

If you map this address on Google, or your GPS, or on your iPhone, it should just work.

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on April 23, 2008 at 10:30 am

Guys,

According to the USPS (ZIP+4 web-page), the address is now a “Floral Park 11001” address.

And yes, the physical location of the theatre is part of Bellerose Terrace, an unincorporated hamlet of the Town of Hempstead.

A few years ago, I was informed that all of Bellerose Terrace AND the Village of Bellerose had been moved from 11426 (Bellerose) to 11001 (Floral Park), as part of a major reconfiguration of the Bellerose and (northern) Queens Village post office jurisdictions.

I just finished reading a recent history of Queens neighborhoods, which labels everything north of Braddock Ave and west to Springfield Blvd as “Bellerose Manor” – certainly not the way it was when I grew up!

So the next time you are asked to give a brief discourse on the “History of Bellerose,” begin by asking if he/she has an hour to listen (LOL).

Greg

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on April 23, 2008 at 10:13 am

That area is still known as Bellerose….

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on April 23, 2008 at 9:07 am

That’s funny because it is definitely NOT Floral Park.

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on April 22, 2008 at 11:45 am

Thanks to everyone who chimed in about the address.

After sleuthing on Google, it looks like the official address is 245-06 Jericho Turnpike, Floral Park, NY 11001, USA.

Vlad J Greenpoint
Vlad J Greenpoint on December 15, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Ed Solero
heres an updated link from your Photobucket site for this theatre,
evidently the links must have changed…by the way nice animations.

jjebersold
jjebersold on September 22, 2007 at 11:09 pm

I grew up on 241st Street in walking distance to the Bellerose theatre on the Queen side of Bellerose. I always knew that it was in Nassau on Jericho Turnpike. It was a true neighborhood theatre. I started going in the late 1960’s. I remember it being a bit run down than even at that point. Its too bad it could not survive but at least the building is still there. I have fond memories of going there and this elderly lady across the street who worked there getting me and my sibling into a movie free sometimes.

I also remember going many times to its close cousin the Floral Park Theatre.

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on August 27, 2006 at 10:41 am

RCDTJ,

Actually, it’s now a meat market. Go in, and ask them for a couple of karate chops… (Oh, I don’t believe I said that) – LOL

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on August 27, 2006 at 9:51 am

Yes it IS FINALLY opened..LOL…..took them long enough.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 22, 2006 at 6:58 am

By the way, when I passed by the former theater a couple of weeks back, the martial arts outlet that currently occupies the building appeared finally to be open to the public.

JoeyRubber
JoeyRubber on August 21, 2006 at 7:58 pm

Jake Gittes: I worked at the Bellerose as an usher in 1979. What is you name?

Bway
Bway on June 5, 2006 at 9:14 am

Here’s the actual link, as the mainpage will change in a few weeks and the Floral Park as a “new” section will be buried within the site:

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 9, 2006 at 10:59 am

I revamped my photobucket album and broke all the links to photos I previously posted here. So… here’s a link to my Bellerose Theater album where the pics I took in December are now located.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on March 2, 2006 at 12:01 pm

True but they said that this store was supposed to be opening to the public as a retail store many months ago. I also dont remember any warehouse with front rollup gates and full displays in the window. It doesnt make sense. Also, what about the carpet store that was there. I think it was there for a year or two with no activity. Maybe longer. I dont buy it. Sorry. I agree with the maintenance statement, although work needed to be done on the front long before they actually did it.

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on March 2, 2006 at 6:57 am

RCDTJ,

If this were a WAREHOUSE OUTLET attempting to attract retail customers, I would agree with you. But if it’s only a warehouse (i.e., not intended for retail sales), then the sole use of side gates makes a lot of sense. Consider the need for curb access for the loading and unloading of trucks.

Consider also that the phone response you get – “closed” – simply means “closed to the (retail) public.”

As for exterior maintenance, this is not an annual activity, but something that need be done only every ten to fifteen years.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on March 2, 2006 at 5:40 am

A couple of thing here……First of all, Neil, I am not trying to start an arguement here but this store is NOT open for business. I called them again today. They told me that they are NOT open and they dont know when they will open. They would give me no other information. Does anyone other than me, live in the neighborhood, that can give some more info on this place. Like I said, I pass by this place everyday and the gates have NEVER been up. I’m not talking about the roll up gate on the side. That has nothing to do with it. If you think thats there main entrance, then something is wrong here. Something very strange is going on here. This is twice in the last 7 years or so that a company has renovated this place, filled it with product, and let it stand like that for a year or so with no activity. As far as the maintenance of this building goes, they have done nothing to maintain this place until the carpet store rented it. It sat for years without anything being done to it.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 27, 2006 at 8:00 am

I suppose you are both correct and that the preservation of any detail work is merely a happy by-product of this maintenance. However, I’ve seen many older buildings where facade “maintenance” involed a shearing off of any elements that might one day dislodge and pose a threat to pedestrians below. My point is I’m just happy that the detail is still in place to be admired even as the theater’s original functionality is lost to the ages.

Bway
Bway on February 27, 2006 at 7:22 am

Yes, the facade would be taken care of like a landlord would take care of any commercial building.