Bellerose Theater

245-14 Jericho Turnpike,
Floral Park, NY 11001

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on April 23, 2008 at 11:05 am

Ultimately, we have to go with the official mailing address.

While the local community might know an area by a different name, the address is really there to guide non-locals.

If you map this address on Google, or your GPS, or on your iPhone, it should just work.

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on April 23, 2008 at 8:30 am

Guys,

According to the USPS (ZIP+4 web-page), the address is now a “Floral Park 11001” address.

And yes, the physical location of the theatre is part of Bellerose Terrace, an unincorporated hamlet of the Town of Hempstead.

A few years ago, I was informed that all of Bellerose Terrace AND the Village of Bellerose had been moved from 11426 (Bellerose) to 11001 (Floral Park), as part of a major reconfiguration of the Bellerose and (northern) Queens Village post office jurisdictions.

I just finished reading a recent history of Queens neighborhoods, which labels everything north of Braddock Ave and west to Springfield Blvd as “Bellerose Manor” – certainly not the way it was when I grew up!

So the next time you are asked to give a brief discourse on the “History of Bellerose,” begin by asking if he/she has an hour to listen (LOL).

Greg

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on April 23, 2008 at 8:13 am

That area is still known as Bellerose….

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 23, 2008 at 8:07 am

The Bellerose Theatre was named for the community where it was situated. If that area is still known as Bellerose, than the community should be listed as such, regardless of what name the USPS uses. The mail might go through the Floral Park post office, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the theatre is actually located in Floral Park. And, of course, there are two parts to Floral Park, one in Queens and the other in Nassau County. The community of Bellerose is solely in Queens.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on April 23, 2008 at 7:07 am

That’s funny because it is definitely NOT Floral Park.

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on April 22, 2008 at 9:45 am

Thanks to everyone who chimed in about the address.

After sleuthing on Google, it looks like the official address is 245-06 Jericho Turnpike, Floral Park, NY 11001, USA.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint on December 15, 2007 at 10:06 am

Ed Solero
heres an updated link from your Photobucket site for this theatre,
evidently the links must have changed…by the way nice animations.

jjebersold
jjebersold on September 22, 2007 at 9:09 pm

I grew up on 241st Street in walking distance to the Bellerose theatre on the Queen side of Bellerose. I always knew that it was in Nassau on Jericho Turnpike. It was a true neighborhood theatre. I started going in the late 1960’s. I remember it being a bit run down than even at that point. Its too bad it could not survive but at least the building is still there. I have fond memories of going there and this elderly lady across the street who worked there getting me and my sibling into a movie free sometimes.

I also remember going many times to its close cousin the Floral Park Theatre.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 6, 2007 at 7:00 am

A recent photo of the Bellerose Theatre as a sporting goods store can be found midway through a new article about Jericho Turnpike at www.forgotten-ny.com

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on August 27, 2006 at 8:41 am

RCDTJ,

Actually, it’s now a meat market. Go in, and ask them for a couple of karate chops… (Oh, I don’t believe I said that) – LOL

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on August 27, 2006 at 7:51 am

Yes it IS FINALLY opened..LOL…..took them long enough.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 22, 2006 at 4:58 am

By the way, when I passed by the former theater a couple of weeks back, the martial arts outlet that currently occupies the building appeared finally to be open to the public.

JoeyRubber
JoeyRubber on August 21, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Jake Gittes: I worked at the Bellerose as an usher in 1979. What is you name?

Bway
Bway on June 5, 2006 at 7:14 am

Here’s the actual link, as the mainpage will change in a few weeks and the Floral Park as a “new” section will be buried within the site:

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 29, 2006 at 4:09 am

An exterior view of the Bellerose as a carpet store can be seen in the new article about Floral Park at www.forgotten-ny.com

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 9, 2006 at 8:59 am

I revamped my photobucket album and broke all the links to photos I previously posted here. So… here’s a link to my Bellerose Theater album where the pics I took in December are now located.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on March 2, 2006 at 10:01 am

True but they said that this store was supposed to be opening to the public as a retail store many months ago. I also dont remember any warehouse with front rollup gates and full displays in the window. It doesnt make sense. Also, what about the carpet store that was there. I think it was there for a year or two with no activity. Maybe longer. I dont buy it. Sorry. I agree with the maintenance statement, although work needed to be done on the front long before they actually did it.

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on March 2, 2006 at 4:57 am

RCDTJ,

If this were a WAREHOUSE OUTLET attempting to attract retail customers, I would agree with you. But if it’s only a warehouse (i.e., not intended for retail sales), then the sole use of side gates makes a lot of sense. Consider the need for curb access for the loading and unloading of trucks.

Consider also that the phone response you get – “closed” – simply means “closed to the (retail) public.”

As for exterior maintenance, this is not an annual activity, but something that need be done only every ten to fifteen years.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on March 2, 2006 at 3:40 am

A couple of thing here……First of all, Neil, I am not trying to start an arguement here but this store is NOT open for business. I called them again today. They told me that they are NOT open and they dont know when they will open. They would give me no other information. Does anyone other than me, live in the neighborhood, that can give some more info on this place. Like I said, I pass by this place everyday and the gates have NEVER been up. I’m not talking about the roll up gate on the side. That has nothing to do with it. If you think thats there main entrance, then something is wrong here. Something very strange is going on here. This is twice in the last 7 years or so that a company has renovated this place, filled it with product, and let it stand like that for a year or so with no activity. As far as the maintenance of this building goes, they have done nothing to maintain this place until the carpet store rented it. It sat for years without anything being done to it.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 27, 2006 at 6:00 am

I suppose you are both correct and that the preservation of any detail work is merely a happy by-product of this maintenance. However, I’ve seen many older buildings where facade “maintenance” involed a shearing off of any elements that might one day dislodge and pose a threat to pedestrians below. My point is I’m just happy that the detail is still in place to be admired even as the theater’s original functionality is lost to the ages.

Bway
Bway on February 27, 2006 at 5:22 am

Yes, the facade would be taken care of like a landlord would take care of any commercial building.

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on February 27, 2006 at 5:13 am

Ed,

Have you considered that the façade cleaning and repointing might have been undertaken by the landlord; and that his motive might have been maintenance of property value, compliance with Town of Hempstead codes, and/or liability insurance?

Just imagine loose facia crashing to the sidewalk and killing someone…

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 27, 2006 at 4:43 am

So, they operate out of that big roll gate located down the side street near the old screen wall. Since it’s a wholesale warehouse, they probably open up only for shipments and deliveries… I doubt there is a proper showroom that is open to the general public. Odd, then, that they would spend the money to repoint and maintain the facade ornamentation. A nice gesture towards the building’s past, however.

NeilFrary
NeilFrary on February 27, 2006 at 2:29 am

The gates have definitely come up. The entrance to the Building is on 246th st.