Ridgewood Theatre

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 10, 2011 at 6:53 am

The Shadow knows !

Heh heh heh …..

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on August 9, 2011 at 5:54 pm

It is interesting that nothing has happened here in light of the advertized plans to develop this site. Perhaps the deleveloper could not come up with the money to make the deal – or perhaps we will only now see the second shoe dropping. Who knows?

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Probably but thanks any way.

I last walked by Aug 4 2011 at about 10 a.m.

No change since my last visit.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on July 20, 2011 at 7:18 am

No, let’s wait and see.

lfreimauer
lfreimauer on July 19, 2011 at 10:32 am

Nothing ever happens at that theater Time to throw in the spomge!

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on June 21, 2011 at 6:45 am

Thanks Chris. It’s good to BE back. MY PC was taken down by a virus 3 weeks ago. I got it back last Wednesday the 15th.

I am still restoring some connections like this one.

I expect to be back on Bushwick Buddies soon also. But I am a bit wary of clicking on non-work-related stuff.

Bway
Bway on June 20, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Great to see you back Peter!

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on June 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

I walked by the Ridgewood Theater about 9:35 the morning of Monday June 20 2011. There was no change since I last walked by there on Monday June 6th 2011. The following is still on the western side of the marquee, facing west towards Madison Street :

THE BUSHWICK
TWIN-S

I observed no details of the inner lobby nor the box office.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on April 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

I walked by the Ridgewood Theater about 10:35 the morning of Friday April 22 2011. There was no change since I last walked by there on Friday March 18th 2011. The following is still on the western side of the marquee, facing west towards Madison Street :

THE BUSHWICK
TWIN-S

I observed no details of the inner lobby nor the box office.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 6, 2011 at 7:54 am

Stunning set of photographs – and quite heartbreaking. Although, a number of them – starting with the first three images – seem to depict school auditoriums or other non-theatrical meeting halls, given the large windows running along the sidewalls.

LuisV
LuisV on April 6, 2011 at 6:50 am

Thanks Panzer, though it is maddening to see the photos and not have the theater names attached to them. We can at least take #49 off the list. The Loews Kings is most definitely being restored to the tune of $70MM. The photo shoud be replaced by Chicago’s Uptown, or Philadelphia’s Boyd.

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on April 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm

This is a great, but bittersweet compilation of many historic theaters that are left abandoned throughout the US. Everyone, please take a few moments to examine the above photos (link), & visualize the time it took to produce such craftsmanship, & the generations-worth who were entertained. If only walls could talk! Hopefully someone will purchase & restore them all over time. Nothing is impossible. We need visionaries!

Panzer65
Panzer65 on April 5, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Hi Peter,
After seeing the happy news that the Loews Kings is being saved, and marveling at all its interior photos, I can say YES! The Kings is #49!

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on April 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Sad seeing all those abandoned theaters, Panzer65. Do you know which one # 49 Brooklyn NY is ? Perhaps Loews Kings ?

Panzer65, I know exactly how you feel about the Ridgewood Theatre slowly eroding away.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on April 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Link from prior post:

Panzer65
Panzer65 on April 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m very saddened to see the time go by and slowly erode the beloved theater I attended as a teenager in my hometown. Even if it is saved, its apparent that little respect is given to a building that brought simple pleasures of seeing a movie in a classic setting such as the experience of going to the movies. Perhaps movies will once again play at Ridgewood, and I found it quite difficult to even consider posting this link, but as much as it hurts to see these photos, it does send a message that we look away from such grand examples of American movie houses, even if they are the more humble type from before the age of the movie palace.http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/75-abandoned-theaters-from-around-the-usa

LuisV
LuisV on March 12, 2011 at 6:43 am

I think John’s Bargain Store still had a store on West 14th Street in Manhattan as late as the early 90’s.

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on March 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Typo… I meant LolaLovesCookies as your username.

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on March 11, 2011 at 8:37 pm

To Laura a.k.a. LauraLovesCookies: I responded to your posting above, and I would like to correspond via email to discuss your ideas further. My e-mail is I can also be found on Facebook. Search “Friends of The Ridgewood Theatre” under groups, and you’ll see me as the creator. Thanks so much for your creative energy!

Bloop
Bloop on March 10, 2011 at 6:02 pm

The Ridgewood Theater Murder Case: says online “ someone was apprehended and then acquitted” …that’s all I could find.

Bloop
Bloop on March 10, 2011 at 6:02 pm

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on March 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Yes Bway because there’s only a 20 or 30 degree angle between Catalpa and Myrtle.

Bway
Bway on March 10, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Peter, I remember that toy store at Catalpa and Myrtle, it went out of business in the early 70’s some time. It had to be later than 1973, but it was close to that, perhaps 74 or 75. It was actually on Catalpa Ave, although that group of stores almost feel like they face Myrtle.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on March 10, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for the compliment, Bloop, on my “Smithsonian” memory. I remember Ridgewood Toyland very well. A parochial school classmate of mine, April Weihs Bara, lived above Mark’s Place Men’s Wear store next door to Ridgewood Toyland and heard the Ridgewood Theatre marquee collapse under the snow of the February 9 1969 “Beatles Day” blizzard.

I remember John’s Bargain Store at Catalpa and Myrtle as late as November 1971.

For heavy duty reminiscing, like “My Brooklyn”, try Bushwick Buddies at :

Bway and I are members there.

Bloop
Bloop on March 10, 2011 at 11:06 am

P.S. with the the childhood nostalgia and comments; NOBODY mentions the Ma & Pa Toy store across the street from the Ridgewood in detail !? LOL. This would be very important to any kid! As multiplexes killed local movie houses, Toy r' Us killed the ma & Pa Toy Stores !