Jackson Heights Cinema

40-31 82nd Street,
Jackson Heights, NY 11373

Bway
Bway on November 4, 2004 at 8:16 pm

English is the official language of this country, not Spanish, not Italian, not Chinese. I have nothing against people keeping their cultures (and Spanish subtitles in a theater have nothing to do with Spanish culture). If I would move to France, I would be expected to learn French. If I were to move to Germany, I would be expected to learn German. If I were to move to Spain, I would be expected to know Spanish. If someone chooses to move to another country, that is their choice. If a Polish person comes to this country, the people already here should not have to learn Polish, it’s the other way around. This has nothing to do with culture, and of course everyone should hold on to their culture. However, The Jackson Heights Triplex is not a culture venue, it is a movie theater showing English movies with Spanish subtitles, in an area where there is no alternative for another theater for people that don’t speak Spanish. If it was to become a Spanish heritage theater showing cultural films, etc, that is a totally different scenario, but it isn’t a Spanish Heritage theater.

Divinity
Divinity on November 4, 2004 at 7:45 pm

I sometimes wonder if our society has moved beyond the days of Ellis Island when the (ethnic sounding)last names were shortened to sound more “American” and people were expected to assimilate and leave their cultures back in the old country. If you are not of British descent, the English language is not your native tongue, and if you are not of Native American descent then you are the descendant of an immigrant somewhere along the line. Over many generations some Americans have lost important ties with their cultural heritage and language. The new waves of immigrants dont have to because of venues like this theatre that cater to them as well as bilingual staff in schools, buisnesses and cultural institutions (some hosting exhibitions regarding their culture and tradition). It is a crimminal act to try and erase the culture and influence of people who reside in the U.S. since many people have lost their own. With out knowlege of ones heritage and language, there is nothing but a big empty hole in ones past. We should embrace the Spanish speaking community for preserving their customs, weaving new colors and moving new rythm into the fabric of our country.
I urge those who have no knowlege of their origins to seek it. Without knowing the truth you have no place in a world where one can easily be lost or forgotten.

Bway
Bway on November 4, 2004 at 11:10 am

Yes, I have to admit that when I lived in Ridgewood, I would travel to other areas to see movies, once I was old enough to ride the subway, or take the bus without an adult. Not only did it make a “day” out of it, which is great when you are a kid, it was also because of the condition of the Ridgewood Theater. I haven’t been in the Ridgewood since around 1990, but in the 80’s the Ridgewood was a dirty, run down, stick to the floor, and get sick on the popcorn type of place. I am hoping it improved, but from what people have said it hasn’t.
If the Jackson is similar in condition, why don’t they just fix these places up to attract patrons? They could start with better cleaning practices, because it is easier to handle “run down” than ti handle “dirty”. And it is a lot cheaper to clean than to do major renovations. It’s a start.

RobertR
RobertR on November 4, 2004 at 11:02 am

The Jackson may find this increses their box office numbers. This house like the Ridgewood is getting pretty run down and alot of people may drive to other areas to see films. Believe it or not the psychos who owned the Westbury ran some of the Paramount titles with Spanish subtitles. Who they were trying to attract there is a mystery.

Bway
Bway on November 4, 2004 at 10:58 am

That’s how I feel about it. What’s next, the Ridgewood Theater? (Owned by the same people I believe). And it’s another theater not near any other theater, in a neighborhood with about 30% or so Hispanic population. Or how about make it Polish? Ridgewood is also about 30% Polish now, and they would probably appreciate a Polish theater too.

Again, I have no problem with Spanish subtitles, in a neighborhood where there is a high percentage of Spanish speaking people – but only if there is a theater nearby that still shows films in English, without subtitles, so everyone else that wants to see a movie in English, without the distraction of subtitles in another lanuage can. After all this IS an English speaking country. If the Madison Theater in Ridgewood still existed, make that the English theater, and I could care less if the Ridgewood Theater showed it in subtitles, because everyone else would still have a choice in their own neighborhood.

The same for the Triplex in Jackson Heights. It’s great, let it have the subtitles….but only if there was another theater nearby that was still showing movies normally.

This has NOTHING to do with Spanish, you can fill in any language you want in it’s place, and I would feel the same way.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 3, 2004 at 10:11 pm

Are you still talking about this move on!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE

Divinity
Divinity on November 3, 2004 at 9:52 pm

Perhaps you should not visit the theatre if this bothers you so much. If the Jackson is successfully playing films for both diverse communities, it is obvious that the attendance of patrons who this would discomfort is not sought after.

RobertR
RobertR on November 3, 2004 at 9:03 pm

I wonder the real reason the Plaza is not open again. That was the Spanish subtitle house.

Bway
Bway on November 3, 2004 at 8:49 pm

That I agree with. I have no problem with a Spanish (or substitute any foreign language here) if it is done in a location where there are alternatives for all the English speaking people (after all, that IS OUR language). I would probably be pretty peed off if I was an English only speaking person, and lived in let’s say Jackson HEights, and couldn’t even go to the Triplex because of the annoying subtitles, and I would have to travel elsewhere outside of my neighborhood to see movies because of this.

sethbook
sethbook on November 3, 2004 at 12:31 pm

What’s wrong with all of you? A movie theatre showing something in ANY language is better than no movie theatre at all. We go to the movies for a lot of reasons, and one of them is to broaden our horizons and “go to another world,” yet we can’t deal with the majority of the rest of the world, which, by the way, doesn’t speak English?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 23, 2004 at 10:54 pm

Divinity for some this NEW your not very nice…….

Divinity
Divinity on October 23, 2004 at 9:57 pm

It probably isn’t sarcasm to “those people”. Why dont we wait for one of them to view the comments and voice their opinion on the topic to determine this.

Bway
Bway on October 23, 2004 at 3:05 pm

Divinity, Andy’s post above is obviously sarcasm if i have ever seen it….

Divinity
Divinity on October 23, 2004 at 1:08 pm

Oh no Andy, I have definately got the right guy, or have you forgotten the posting you left 9 spaces up?
My indignation was made approrriately, It was your comment that was inappropriate. Although you seem to have changed your attitude on the topic.

AndyT
AndyT on October 23, 2004 at 8:56 am

Divinity,
I think that what I consider my delicate satire has escaped you. I am more than happy when a theater remains open, paying taxes and making our city more vibrant. If they choose to run sub-titles, operate 24 hours a day or put real butter on the popcorn, it’s all good. My little family of three has even chose to become bilingual, not by learning English but by learning Spanish. You picked the wrong guy. Sorry your indignation was misplaced.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 23, 2004 at 7:38 am

STOP THE MADNESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Divinity
Divinity on October 22, 2004 at 11:01 pm

Very well said (or written) br91975!

br91975
br91975 on October 22, 2004 at 12:12 pm

I don’t see where the Jackson Triplex showing its films with Spanish subtitles is an issue; hell, we live in a multi-ethnic city (and a multi-ethnic nation) and part of that, along with integrating American culture into the ethnicities of everyone who calls this city and this nation home, is retaining a sense of one’s culture and, above all else, a sense of personal comfort. Otherwise – and I know I may get shouted down for this and urge those who’d do the shouting to think for a moment before they do so – most of that fine line that divides our society with that of a certain European country in the 1930s and ‘40s would be erased…

Divinity
Divinity on October 22, 2004 at 11:52 am

Andy,
It is disgusting to think that in modern American society, some people still havent culturally advanced enough, to stop their fear and prejudice toward other ethnic groups. Especially in a community where South Americans and Mexicans live. The majority of them have been on the western hemisphere longer than us and survived brutal colonialism from both the Spaniards and the Americans. Mexico would probably have been more prosperous if greed hadn’t driven America to steal California with its gold, Nevada with its silver, and Texas with its oil as well as Arizona and New Mexico which were all part of their empire. We are all immigrants in some way or another. Over sixty percent of the people in these groups are Spanish speaking Aztec, Mayan, Inca, and Native American decendants. Yet when they migrate north they are greeted by hate.I suppose this is a repeating pattern that always occurs when new waves of ethnic groups enter any region of North America.It happened to the waves of Irish and Italian immigrants arriving in New York at the turn of the century when help wanted signs would bear the cruel words “no Irish” or “no Italians”.It happened to upper and middle class Jews who could not live on Park or Fifth Avenue and had to build a Jewish Fifth Ave (The Grand Concourse). We all know what happened to the African American community upon arrival with the evils segregation policies.
So I suppose that this might be a tradition in New York.
In this cultural melting pot we have to find a way to live together and embrace all of the colors in this rainbow that that we know as New York City.
Prejudice is taught, so unteach yourself.
Once you let go of those fears, you will be free and have love for everyone.

Bway
Bway on October 22, 2004 at 11:44 am

While I do agree with Mike to an extent, everyone should learn the language, I have no sympathy for those that feel that forms, and everythign has to be in Spanish and English. That being said, I also have to say that this happening with “Spanish” in a theater is nothing new. Spanish just happens to be the language of the most recent and major new immigrants in this country. If you go back to the early part of this century, German was the wave of immagrants, and there were lots of German speaking only theaters in the areas they settled in at the time. In Ridgewood for example, which was where a lot of them settled, the Irving (Mozart) Theater comes to mind, as well as the Wyckoff Theater, and there were plenty others too. There were also plenty of Italian speaking theaters, such as the Major Theater on Canal St before Chinatown took over Little Italy. In fact that one even became a Chinese Theater after that.
I see nothing wrong with a theater become “ethnic” if it’s in a neighborhood where that ethnicity is the majority. And it’s nothing new, it’s been done with most major influx of immigrants, whoever they were at the time.

But to be clear I still think it’s disgusting that they put Spanish and English on so many places. But that’s a totally different issue.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 22, 2004 at 11:25 am

I for one would boycott the theater if I still lived in NYC. I think this country is out of control with the Spanish issue. This is America and the Spanish population should realize that if they are going to live in the US they need to learn our language. You don’t see the French or Germans or any other foreign person asking that there language be spoken.

AndyT
AndyT on October 22, 2004 at 8:23 am

Yes. it’s really terrible for someone to keep a theater running by placing sub-titles at the bottom of the screen. It must be “those people” sending secrets to “their people.” And get this … some of them don’t even look like us. They MUST be up to something. Certainly this couldn’t be a case of the millions of New Yorkers who speak Spanish having a pleasant evening out at the movies. Better watch out … the next thing they will be doing is paying taxes and keeping the city healthy!

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 22, 2004 at 12:23 am

lol/ only for your 1st week play nice

Divinity
Divinity on October 22, 2004 at 12:20 am

Darling, I always play nice.