Whitman Theatre

160 Walt Whitman Road,
Huntington Station, NY 11746

dude
dude on August 14, 2005 at 5:21 am

Back in the early ‘60s, c. 1964, we went to church at the Whitman. I’ll never forget those huge tragedy/comedy masks on the walls. The masks and the mass combined to scar me for life ;–).

RobertR
RobertR on July 8, 2005 at 3:10 pm

Here is a fun summer double bill

longislandmovies on May 1, 2005 at 8:18 pm

the theater stayed open for years because they were trying to get permits for a 10 plex.Century had a 100 year lease on this theater that they gave up when the town would not grant permits.

mascan42
mascan42 on April 10, 2005 at 10:38 pm

Having worked in the area in the last few years that this theater was operating, I think I know why it closed … it looked like garbage. The awful marquee sign by the roadside was literally falling apart toward the end. And the theater itself was very run-down. I was surprised that it survived the mall renovation in 2000.

riboflavin
riboflavin on January 16, 2005 at 1:05 pm

longislandmovies, we may very well know each other. I worked @whitman from may ‘82 to may '84. I knew some people at Shore and York.

riboflavin
riboflavin on January 13, 2005 at 9:38 pm

longislandmovies, at one point I did work for Mrs. Burns, but I spent most of my time at the Whitman working for Bruce Johnson and Jim Ward was the Division Mgr.

Let me guess, YOU’RE TIMMY REDFIELD?

after 2 weeks @ Whitman, DMDWP moved to the York to make room for ET.

RobertR
RobertR on December 14, 2004 at 6:51 am

There were none in the Bronx either right?

longislandmovies on December 14, 2004 at 6:18 am

Funny i never heard talk of a Manhattan location.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on December 13, 2004 at 8:32 pm

According to the 1999 Loews directory, the correct address is 290-4 Walt Whitman Mall, Huntington Station NY 11746 – 1 screen – 770 seats – with a mono sound system – highest ticket at the time was $7.25 – Manager was J.P.

RobertR
RobertR on December 13, 2004 at 7:37 pm

longislandmovies

Did the original Centurys company before the merger ever think of trying a Manhattan location?

longislandmovies on December 13, 2004 at 7:29 pm

You worked for mrs BURns?

longislandmovies on December 13, 2004 at 7:28 pm

Riboflavin i must no you …… I thought dead men played at the york .could have been a moveover..

longislandmovies on December 13, 2004 at 7:26 pm

Et played here for a year i will see if i can find more info

riboflavin
riboflavin on December 13, 2004 at 2:55 pm

I have to a correction to the 56 week comment. It was, in fact, only 23 weeks.

I started work as an usher at the Whitman on May 14, 1982. “Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid” premiered that night and ran for 2 weeks, to be replaced by “E.T.” on May 28th.

It ran for 23 weeks, and was replaced by “The Missionary” (starring Michael Palin on November 5th.

I set up the Marquee for E.T.’s last day – It read “E.T. IS GOING HOME”

I used to have a list of all the movies that played there while worked there, but it’s among the missing now. I never would have thought that sometime in the future there would be websites to distribute such trivia.

And yes, I also confirm the seat count at 778.

Orlando
Orlando on September 29, 2004 at 11:41 am

P.S. The seating for the Whitman was 778, sorry about the error. This count is from the original Century Directory (1980) which was the last one done when ALMI took over Century. This directory also has the seating for all the ALMI (former UA houses) and the already twinned or triplexed Century Theatres.

Orlando
Orlando on September 29, 2004 at 11:35 am

The Morton Village didn’t have comedy / tragedy masks but some other type of steel art work as the Whitman had. I worked both houses and can remember them, but their descriptions escape me. The opening movie at the Whitman was the first James Bond movie, “DR. NO” and the proceeds went to a local charity as was the habit of all Century openings.

RobertR
RobertR on September 29, 2004 at 10:51 am

I remember the comedy and tragedy masks in the Glen Oaks.

longislandmovies on September 29, 2004 at 10:33 am

This was the district office for century /cineplex odeon for all its years

longislandmovies on September 24, 2004 at 9:05 pm

SINGLE SCREENS ON LONG ISLAND 1.The Sag Harbour 2.Bellmore
3.Brentwood 4.montauck

longislandmovies on September 24, 2004 at 9:00 pm

Many of the Century houses had the comedy and tragedy masks , including The York theater down the street. There are a few single screens left on Long Island

Orlando
Orlando on September 24, 2004 at 3:10 pm

I have some shots of the lobby just before the “gutters” came in. When it opened in the early ‘60’s with a James Bond movie it was a success and had a lot of “exclusives” like Annie Hall and so on. Any theatre is able to do well as long as the product itself is worthy. Show garbage and gross nothing. With the twinning, triplexing and quadding of the Shore (Century had no foresight, they carved it up as they needed to) the better films were given to the Shore so they could sell out quickly and create overflow for the remaining 3 screens. This was the first nail in the coffin. After Century was absorbed by Almi and then they took over RKO, and every other circuit that followed cared less and less about the theatre. After all, it was a leased property. At one time, Century also operated two kioska in the Walt Whitman mall under the Century banner. I worked this theatre in 1980, just a year before Century sold out. The seating of this theatre was 880 seats, not the 700 listed above.

RonMotta
RonMotta on September 24, 2004 at 2:28 pm

It’s really a shame because with money, time and effort, they really could’ve made this theater something. My friend and I thought about somehow getting money together (this would’ve taken a MAJOR miracle) and turning this place into a hip 2nd run house and coffee shop (next door). I loved the giant tragedy & comedy masks that hung there and I loved the fact that it was only a single screen—are there ANY single (or even twin) screens left on Long Island? The last movie I saw here was “Galaxy Quest.”

And yes, I remember that 56 week run of E.T. in 1982. That was the first movie we took my sister to (she was four at the time). She cried through the WHOLE thing—she was afraid of E.T.! She sat with her back to the screen the rest of the picture.

longislandmovies on August 27, 2004 at 10:09 pm

the seat count is wrong for this theater

longislandmovies on August 20, 2004 at 11:41 am

The WHITMAN THEATRE is the correct name located at the Walt WHITMAN mall

longislandmovies on August 20, 2004 at 10:14 am

only the pylon is still visable today