Coliseum Cinemas

New York, NY 10033

velocity6
velocity6 on July 2, 2004 at 4:46 pm

RKO is now open again

aswag74
aswag74 on June 7, 2004 at 7:03 pm

There are upcoming summer movie posters both inside and out on the theatre. Work is being sone and it look like “opening soon” is soon. But you nevr know. The posters make me hopeful, though.

mambo
mambo on May 25, 2004 at 4:43 am

Rumors about the reopening of the Coliseum have been circulating since October but there was a problem with the installing of the seats. Has anyone actually seen the seats installed?

YMike
YMike on April 26, 2004 at 1:09 pm

The old RKO marquee is gone.

RobertR
RobertR on April 22, 2004 at 7:43 pm

Is the old RKO marquee still up on the theatre?

dailies
dailies on April 22, 2004 at 7:42 pm

Anybody knowing the whereabouts of Jesus Nova would be helpful.
br91975 seems to have facts, I would like to exchange mail with you.
Years ago Jesus and I made a film together (In Search for a Dream) english trans.
I have a new latin project directed by Leon Gast (When We Were Kings)
Jesus we need to talk.. SETI
Please send any info on Jesus Nova to

jays
jays on April 12, 2004 at 12:51 am

It’s good that they are giving this cinema another chance it deserves a chance too bad it will probably open as a quad I think this theatre was best as a twin. The screens were nice when they were a twin they were alittle smaller as a quad but nonetheless it great that it’s reoponing and not going to used as retail space and yes i’m still eagerly awainting it’s grand reopening.

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on April 4, 2004 at 6:03 pm

New seats have gone into this theater and it will reopen shortly.

jeff132
jeff132 on March 19, 2004 at 4:57 am

HEY DUDE YEAH THE OTHER DAY I WAS PASSING by 181st an it said opening sonn and in spanish,i cant wait!!!.so whats your name and age we could become friends!am 15.do you have aol aim?

br91975
br91975 on March 7, 2004 at 5:57 pm

Awesome news – the Coliseum is reopening! I stopped by yesterday and saw the words ‘Opening Soon’ on the marquee and something in Spanish beneath those words. If my Espagnol-translating abilities were something more than south of rudimentary, I would have been able to make sense of them but, fortunately, two men were sitting on a bench in the lobby and when I knocked on the door, one of them opened it and told me that the Coliseum would be open for business again in about 30 days, with new seats and other improvements. The guy was really friendly and I suspect – and I certainly may be wrong about this – that the older man was Jesus Nova and the younger one who answered my knocks (and my questions) was his son. No matter who they are, they seem to have a real love for the theatre and for the neighborhood as well; on those two basis alone, let’s hope they succeed!

RobertR
RobertR on February 27, 2004 at 2:52 pm

Even worse was that the four theatres were all in the balcony, the auditorium was long ago gutted for retail use.

citygalsf
citygalsf on February 27, 2004 at 4:06 am

A small quibble. I grew up in the neighborhood and saw hundreds of films at the Coliseum and the Loew’s 175th St. Back in the 50’s and 60’s there were even ushers and a special section for children. The RKO Coliseum is/was located on 181st St. which is Washington Heights, not Inwood. Very sorry to learn that it was divided into four theaters and eventually closed.

br91975
br91975 on February 17, 2004 at 11:51 pm

Unfortunately, Jesus didn’t own the building which housed the Nova. When the theatre closed in August of 2002 it was due to the landlord raising the rent to a level Jesus couldn’t afford but one which was amenable to the proprietor of a 99-cent store. I’m not sure what condition the orchestra is in but I imagine it’s probably a safe guess that anyone who reopens the Coliseum will be working with the existing theatre space.

RobertR
RobertR on February 17, 2004 at 6:25 pm

Very true but he had 3 screens at the Nova in a building he owned. The Coliseum had 4 cinemas in the balcony level. Maybe there was room to add more screens there and make it a multiplex.

fred1
fred1 on February 17, 2004 at 6:19 pm

i think there is too much overhead inurban areas of nyc

RobertR
RobertR on February 17, 2004 at 6:01 pm

I was suprised he closed the Nova, I thought he owned the building.

fred1
fred1 on February 17, 2004 at 5:14 pm

i I think jesus nove couldn’t get the backing .

br91975
br91975 on December 12, 2003 at 4:32 am

I had read in the NY Times earlier this past spring that Jesus Nova (the former proprietor of the eponymous Nova Cinemas at Broadway and 147th Street) was trying to organize a group of investors who would renovate and reopen the Coliseum – does anyone know of any word of progress or what the current state of the theatre site is?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 15, 2003 at 4:47 am

Theater location is Broadway and 181st Street.

FoxTheatres
FoxTheatres on December 20, 2002 at 4:59 pm

The New Coliseum Theater 4 is closed for good June 2002

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on October 24, 2002 at 3:24 pm

This theater was once part of the RKO chain. It was closed with the orchestra section gutted and converted into retail, while the loge and balcony where carved into first two, then four small screens. Dolby was never added to any of these screens, and from what i have heard there were often problems with the projection and air conditioning. Sometime in late June, these theaters closed and have remained so since.