Roxy Theatre

153 W. 50th Street,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 101 - 125 of 1,391 comments

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on March 12, 2012 at 1:52 am

Thanks, Ed, for your nice compliments about my Roxy model! I have not been back to look at it for years, but have been told that it is no longer enclosed in glass. If you do visit again, please give me an update! Meanwhile, I have to get back to work on Model Number Five!

Tinseltoes: Sorry, I just realized that I’d already commented, a year ago, regarding our mutual interest. Hoping to share more with you!

Bill

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm

BillSavoy! What a pleasure to learn that you are the artist responsible for that remarkable scale model of the Roxy at the Museum of the Moving Image! And even more pleasurable to be able to directly express my thanks and admiration to you for providing such a lovingly detailed representation of this spectacular old movie palace! I must have spent a good twenty minutes pouring over every inch of your model when I last visited the museum about 7 or 8 years ago. In fact, I sang its praises in a post on this page (I dare you to find it among the more than 1300 comments already posted here) from back in March of 2005. My one criticism – and I hope this has since been corrected – is that the lighting around the display case produced annoying and obscuring glares on the glass. One has to lean in close to block these out and truly enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Thank you so much for that work. I am now inspired to take another trip into Astoria to check it out again!

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on March 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Hooray for the ROXY! Happy 85th anniversary! Never to be forgotten!

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on March 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Tinseltoes:

My name is Bill Savoy and I am fascinated with (and a little bit jealous of) your knowledge of the Roxy (until now, I thought I was the only one so obsessed). I was a friend of the late Ben Hall’s: he befriended me at age 16 and shared his vast collection of Roxy memorabilia with me. During the last 46 years I have added to this archives (a vast collection of programs from opening to closing, photos from excavation to demolition, over 100 photos of staff and performers, etc., etc., and last, but not least, the original blueprints from 1925 (later to be slightly revised … which, once-and-for-all clear-up the seating capacity mystery!). I have built four scale models of the place (including one commisioned by The Museum Of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York, where it is currently on display) and am now starting my fifth … (sooner or later, I’ll get it right!). I worked at Radio City Music Hall from 1969 until 1983, where I met many surviving Roxy alumni (Leonidoff, Markert, Kilduff, Parmentier, etc., etc., ) and had full access to the building and archives!

I live and work (as a scenic artist) in New York City and would love to communicate with you further on our shared obsession. If you are also interested please contact me at .

I have to sign off now because I see, by the program, that the prologue “DESTINY” is starting … to be followed by THE LOVE OF SUNYA!

Happy Roxy day! Hope to hear from you! Bill Savoy

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 11, 2012 at 7:33 am

Tonight (March 11th) will mark the 85th anniversary of the grand opening of the Roxy Theatre. Let us all observe a moment of silence for what is arguably the greatest and most influential of all movie palaces. Sadly, the Roxy operated for only 33 years, and has been missing from the New York scene for 52 (more than half a century). Long gone, but like its namesake founder, never to be forgotten!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Seventy-five years ago today, 20th-Fox’s B&W romantic comedy “Love Is News,” with rising star Tyrone Power billed before Loretta Young and Don Ameche, opened its NYC premiere engagement at the Roxy Theatre. On stage, Mr. & Mrs. Jesse Crawford, the so-called “Poets of the Organ,” topped the variety revue, which also included the Radio Ramblers, Lucille Page, and the resident Gae Foster Girls with the Roxy Orchestra (conducted by Eddie Paul). With “Show Value of the Nation” as its motto, the Roxy was charging an adult admission of 25 cents at all times for all seats, and 15 cents for children.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

The Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center has MANY Roxy programmes, including bound volumes from the theatre’s early years. They can also be found in the Library’s clippings files for the Roxy Theatre, as well as in the clippings files for movies that played at the Roxy. And frequently in clippings files for performers who appeared on the Roxy’s stage. Card catalogues are on the Library’s second floor, and the reading room for all materials is on the third floor.

Simon L. Saltzman
Simon L. Saltzman on March 2, 2012 at 10:59 am

Myron, The Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts would be a great repository for the Roxy Programs…as I would (love to have them)…or at least borrow them and then bring them personally to the library.

Myron
Myron on March 2, 2012 at 8:15 am

Love to reminisce about the Roxy, my all-time favorite theatre. My sister always points-out that one of the ice skaters actually fell during the show after the screening of “The King & I” but she got-up and continued. The audience saw blood. I saved the Roxy programs somewhere in my collection (they were printed in green). If I locate these and those for the RCMH, what could I do with them? I’d hate to dispose of these.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 29, 2012 at 6:55 am

In the 1930s and 40s, the Roxyettes (sometimes billed as the Gae Foster Girls) were considered superior to RCMH’s Rockettes because they had a larger repertoire and weren’t limited to just high-kicking precision dancing.

Simon L. Saltzman
Simon L. Saltzman on February 29, 2012 at 4:48 am

Hey Housechecker, Yes, indeed, before the Roxyettes (later known as “Blades and Belles”)skated on ice they could be seen not only on roller skates, but balancing and doing formations atop huge balls (an audience favorite). Yes, indeed, Merman sold tickets as a publicity stunt (fact checked from Variety)just for the opening hour.

Housechecker
Housechecker on February 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Hey Simon: I was just a little boy when “A Tree Grows” played at the Roxy. I started working there in 1953 on the last day of Peter Pan. Then the Roxyettes were on ice skates. This is not to say when “A Tree Grows” played the Roxy the girls were not on roller skates.

If Ethel Merman sold tickets in the morning on the opening day of “No Biz Like Show Biz,” I never heard about it. That was the kind of stuff locker room gossip was made of. But I was working “Permanent Closing.” However, Johnny Ray did show up drunk in the evening.

Simon L. Saltzman
Simon L. Saltzman on February 28, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hey Tinseltoes, Good job but you might have mentioned that “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” was a major hit and ran an unprecedented six weeks (opening week $105,000)grossing $500,000 during that time. The 24 Roxyettes also did their famous roller skating routine which featured “the whip” requiring the last skater to catch up to the end of the ever spinning line. Next show was “A Royal Scandal” with Tallulah you know who…and a major bomb.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 28, 2012 at 7:05 am

Sixty-seven years ago today, 20th-Fox’s B&W “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn,” the eagerly-awaited adaptation of Betty Smith’s best-selling novel, opened its world premiere engagement at the Roxy Theatre. Directed by Elia Kazan, the nostalgic drama starred Dorothy McGuire, James Dunne, and Joan Blondell, with Peggy Ann Garner in what proved to be one of the all-time classic performances by a juvenile. Heading the Roxy’s stage show was pianist-comedian Victor Borge, with radio/recording songstress Joan Edwards and the Roxy’s resident performers filling out the bill.

Simon L. Saltzman
Simon L. Saltzman on February 27, 2012 at 8:21 am

Just for a chuckle. A publicity stunt: Ethel Merman sold tickets in the box office on opening morning.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on February 27, 2012 at 6:39 am

There’s No Business, etc… opened at the Roxy on December 17, 1954. (Thx to New York Times online archives)

Simon L. Saltzman
Simon L. Saltzman on February 27, 2012 at 4:54 am

Myron, One of the many informed contributors to this site (wish I could remember who)regularly sent a year by year list of Roxy films and the accompanying stage show. But you have to go back through the archives for this. Also fun is going to the Lincoln Center Library and read all the Variety magazine issues on microfilm from 1927 to the Roxy’s demise. Another source on line is Billboard Magazine and search year by year. The info is out there…just search and ask.

Myron
Myron on February 27, 2012 at 4:31 am

Where can I find a list of films and dates which played at the Roxy. This was my favorite all-time theatre and I was sad when it was demolished. I think that “There’s No Business Like Show Business” sccreened there during Dec. 1954. If so I can’t figure why my family and I never saw it there. We were big fans of Marilyn as well as musicals. Maybe we saw “The Country Girl” at the Criterion instead. As a kid, I saw many films at the Roxy. I often pass the spot where it was located and I get a lump in my throat. So many happy memories of great films and then they added ice skaters (Roxyettes) to the bill. I even saved programs which I have somewhere in my collection.

Vito
Vito on February 24, 2012 at 9:59 am

Simon I would like to point out that although CinemaScope 55 was projected in 35mm we had the advantage of the higher resolution quality from the 35mm reduction prints. Much like VistaVision which Paramount abandoned in 1963 the standard 35mm vertical reduction prints from the horizontal VV negative was rather good. I can only imagine what those images would look today projected thru the much improved Schnieder Isco lenses we have today which are a cut above the Bausch and Lomb.

Simon Overton
Simon Overton on February 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Paul… You hit the nail on the head. And I say “ditto” with regard this theater. The same greed, crooked politics and destructive insanity has happened in so many American cities, especially San Francisco’s awesome FOX. Enough is enough… we MUST save these magnificent theaters for the future generations to come!

paullewis
paullewis on February 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

“The city and the movie palaces have never been the same” quotation from the above description of the Roxy says it all! N.Y.C. had a unique position in the pantheon of world cities and they could not wait to destroy it’s character for just another bland version of glass and steel boxes seen in and 2nd rate place on earth. Just look what is on the site of the legendary movie palace now, a building that could just as well be in a third world country and could disappear overnight without a single word of complaint,such is the banality of what we have today. As long as I live I shall NEVER forgive the perpetrators of such vandalism no matter what the circumstances.

ERD
ERD on February 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

As a youngster, it was a wonderful experience to see “Carousel” and a stage show at this magnificent entertainment palace. The Roxy was my favorite theatre in Manhattan. Some other musicals I saw there were “The King & I” & “Damn Yankees. (You are right Simon, it was not “Oklahoma!”)

Simon L. Saltzman
Simon L. Saltzman on February 16, 2012 at 10:01 am

Sorry ERD, but Oklahoma premiered at the Rivoli in Todd AO on reserved seats. Also interesting is that Carousel was never actually shown (although it was advertised) in the CinemaScope 55 process (more info on the Wide Screen Museum)

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 16, 2012 at 8:20 am

Fifty-six years ago tonight, 20th-Fox’s “Carousel,” the first motion picture in CinemaScope 55, opened its NYC premiere engagement at the Roxy Theatre. Promising more clarity than the original CinemaScope process, the Deluxe Color version of the Rodgers & Hammmerstein Broadway hit starred Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones, with Henry King as director. On stage, the Roxy offered a skating revue, “Spring Time,” featuring the Ice-Roxyettes with soloist Joan Hyldoft. Music was provided by the resident Roxy Orchestra.

AGRoura