Loew's State Theatre

1540 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on June 13, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I doubt it, daphx. It was most likely the State Theatre in Ithica, New York.

daphx
daphx on June 13, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Was this theater used for concerts in the early 70’s? I recall a concert featuring Yes, Poco Harem and King Crimson. I was wondering if it was in this theater. According to a Poco Harem site there as a concert on 11/1/72 at the Lowe’s State Theater. Anyone know?

William
William on May 17, 2010 at 11:43 am

It’s listed here as Loews State Theatre 4. That thetare closed around Jan. 2006 and has since been gutted. Virgin MegaStore has also gutted for new retail. (Forever 21, Disney).

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on May 17, 2010 at 10:49 am

Does anyone know what happened to the new Lowes State. I think Vrgin Megstore is also cloosed so I wasn’t sure what happened to the theater do9n below. What htye need to do is take that whole building and make a major theater outof it.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on May 17, 2010 at 10:47 am

Nice 1985 photo Tinseltoes.

William
William on May 6, 2010 at 9:19 am

They also advertised “Superman: The Movie” 1978 there too.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on April 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm

> Did they continue to perform as “singles” after the break-up?

I don’t believe Dewey Barto did, but his daughter Nancy Walker, who traveled with them on the road, became a stage and movie actress. On television, she played Rhoda’s mother, McMilllan and Wife’s housekeeper and a waitress promoting Bounty paper towels. George got bit parts in several movies, but nothing to equal the success he had with Dewey Barto in vaudeville. He did have a fun gig toward the end of his life as the image on the box and character actor for the breakfast cereal, King Vitaman.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on April 25, 2010 at 11:50 am

> I gather that you have some personal connection with Barto & Mann.

George Mann is my father. He and my mother were divorced not long after I was born in 1941. We were re-connected and became close friends when my mother and stepfather were divorced in 1955. George died in 1977 leaving an amazing collection of photographs he had shot while performing in vaudeville. My wife, a commercial photographer, has gone through the collection and selected about 1,000 photographs to place with akg-images.

> For how long was the team active?

For a little over 15 years. Dewey Barto and George Mann worked in the same Fanchon & Marco productions in early 1926 and joined together as a comedy dance team in September 1926. They were an immediate hit on the west coast and traveled east to play the Palace Theatre on March 14, 1927 to the following revue in Zit’s Theatrical Newspaper, “Ten minutes before they went on at the Palace last Monday afternoon nobody thought very much about Barto & Mann; ten minutes after they came off stage, the whole Broadway world was talking about them…. Acts like these only come along once in a while.” In October 1927, “The Jazz Singer” opened at the Warners’ Theatre, which was the beginning of the end for vaudeville. Barto & Mann were headliners throughout the late ‘20s and ‘30s, increasingly sharing their performances with motion pictures. As vaudeville wound down in the ‘30s, they were fortunate to join the Broadway show, “Hellzapoppin” from 1938 to 1942. They broke up as a team in December 1943.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on April 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for your good words, Tinseltoes. Did you happen to notice that Barto & Mann were also on stage in the 1935 photographs from the New York Public Library Digital Library you posted last month?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Tyne: I’m a huge fan of Kubrick, but I gotta admit my favorite part of “Killer’s Kiss” is seeing all those dear departed movie marquees in Times Square.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on April 24, 2010 at 11:03 am

Click on the year for photographs of Loew’s State Theatre taken in 1930, 1938, and another photograph in 1938 by George Mann of the comedy dance team, Barto & Mann.

jeffdonaldson
jeffdonaldson on April 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Parson me if this has been mentioned before, but I just watched Stanley Kubrick’s “Killer’s Kiss” and it includes some marvelous nighttime footage of Times Square circa 1954. The amusing part of this is the scenes in Times Square were shot at different times though in the film it all takes place on one night over a period of just a few minutes. The star of the film is walking around where we can clearly see the Victoria is playing “The Man Between.” Loew’s State is playing “How to Marry a Millionaire.” The Globe also has “How to Marry a Millionaire” on its marquee. These films are 1953. At the same time, the Astor is playing “The Queen of Sheba.” The film cuts away to other action then quickly returns to our hero in the street where the Victoria is now playing “Casanova’s Big Night” and the Astor has switched to “Elephant Walk.” The Globe is now running “Beachhead” with Tony Curtis and over at Loew’s State they are now showing “Flame and the Flesh.” These films are from 1954. Don’t know if these scenes had to be reshot months later or if Kubrick just needed additional scenes, but it was pretty funny to see. I always thought it would have been pretty exciting to be in Times Square in those days. Of course, I never realized the theatres changed their programs every five minutes.

Vito
Vito on February 20, 2010 at 10:14 am

In February 1953 “Bwana Devil” the first full length motion Picture in Natural Vision 3-D had its NYC premiere at Loew’s State.
The picture had its NYC premiere engagement simultaneously at TWO theatres— Loew’s State in Times Square and the Fox in downtown Brooklyn. Newspaper reviews mentioned only Loew’s State.
The Fox had about 900 seats more than the State. Variety reported a first week gross of $87,000 for the State, nearly breaking its all-time record set in 1949 by “Jolson Sings Again.” The State had a sliding price scale of 55 cents to $1.50. Variety gave no figure for the Fox, but said business was “socko.”

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 17, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Paul: Were Liz and Dick (the ultimate celebrity couple, then and now) there too?

I remember Dorothy Kilgallen from the TV game show What’s My Line? A lot of their Mystery Guest segments can be seen on YouTube. They attracted some of the biggest names in show business. Here’s a funny clip from 1954 featuring Liz and Dorothy Kilgallen:

AGRoura
AGRoura on February 17, 2010 at 7:58 pm

After it was twinned, I preferred the 2 upstairs. Being the former balcony, seats were like today’s stadium seating and you had the top of the magnificent proscenium arch. It’s a shame it’s gone like all the other great NYC theaters. I love NYC, but I don’t understand why al least some of the theaters were not saved or why Times Square is now a seating area for fat tourists. Emperor Bloomberg, don’t change the character of NYC, bring back cars and the hustle and bustle back to TS to NYC. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Noble
Paul Noble on February 17, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I was there opening night. A raucous crowd on the sidewalk was hooting and holllering at Dorothy Kilgallen as she entered the theater in front of us. Those Broadway celebrity hounds were at their best that night.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 17, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Thanks saps, would have loved to be there then.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 17, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I recently saw a great movie from 1964 — Becket, starring Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole — on TCM and read that it premiered here at the Loew’s State. I wish I could have seen it on the big screen in a showplace like the State. I’m afraid we’ll never see the likes of it again.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 17, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Great photo Tinseltoes were do you get them?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm

The Capitol had “Navy Blue and Gold”.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 5, 2010 at 11:47 am

I wish I could see what’s at the Capitol, but it’s barely visible. Some MGM epic, no doubt.

William
William on February 5, 2010 at 11:26 am

Don’t forget across the street at the Astor Theatre “The Hurricane” was playing.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 5, 2010 at 10:37 am

If “Daughter of Shanghai” was at the Criterion then it was Christmas 1937 and “The Awful Truth” was at the State with Rudy vallee.

Bill Huelbig