Alpine Theatre

6817 Fifth Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11220

WOLVERINE25TH
WOLVERINE25TH on November 17, 2005 at 6:14 pm

I work in the same office as a real estate and they got a fax about the Alpine going up for sale. Looks like it may be closing soon.

jbels
jbels on November 9, 2005 at 6:21 am

I remember the nice lady that used to manage the Alpine (Ms. Pulize, not sure of spelling) and she would come out of the office door on the left hand side of the theatre when you needed something (“Ms. Pulize, Please!”). I also remember when the twinned the theatre and you would wait for the next movie to start and people would spill out and ruin the end of the movie, like Rocky. Also sat through The Sunshine Boys twice there. And they showed Dondi for free as a kids' day special.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on August 6, 2005 at 4:28 am

Awww— that’s sad to see the current Alpine reduced to a storefront entrance. The structures to the right and left are clearly new ones. The structure to the left has replaced a large furniture store that perfectly complemented the Alpine’s old facade and added bulk to the entrance. It looks so shrunken now. Compare a picture that I posted above last 26 April.

br91975
br91975 on August 6, 2005 at 3:16 am

…and a tip of the hat to you, Phantom, for posting all those great photos of Bay Ridge theatres (accompanied by brief histories) on your blog, present – and, all too sadly – mostly past.

thephantom
thephantom on August 5, 2005 at 4:58 pm

A photo of the Alpine Theater has been posted on the Bay Ridge Blog
( www.bayridgebrooklyn.blogspot.com )

Tip of the hat to all the contributors of Cinema Treasures, a great site.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on August 3, 2005 at 1:48 pm

Theaterfan—

I don’t recall the Alpine Ice Cream Parlor on BR Ave. But in the 1940s-50s, the neighborhood’s best emporium for the sweet-tooth was Pohl’s Homemade Candy on 5 Avenue between 70 and 71 Streets (east side—i.e. Alpine side—of the street). The aroma of chocolate and caramel was intoxicating on the street and a knock-out inside. I believe that the store closed around 1960. [it’s not to be confused with Pohl’s Homemade Ice Cream and Candy on 5 Avenue between 82 and 83 Street (west side), which closed a few years later. The latter’s ice cream was inferior to Hinsch’s near 86 Street, and its candy was several notches below the above-mentioned Pohl’s.]

For those who threw all caution to the winds and would sacrifice artisanal chocolate for sheer bulk, a doughnut shop across the street from the Alpine offered its wares for the movie-going crowd. There the proprietor would hand-fry your choice of a doughnut-with-cream-filling as you stood at the counter. The paper-bag that you brought into the Alpine would be dripping with hot oil as you entered the theater.

I forewent all that so I could save money to see more movies later in the week at the Stanley or Bay Ridge. But I remember that most people wouldn’t think of buying a ticket without the promise of sweets to go with it. Those double features, after all, were pretty long and viewers got hungry.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 4:06 pm

Golden was a two-partner business that started the dollar theatre policy in Brooklyn with the Oceana, Graham, Granada, Rugby and the Highway. They also owned the Alpine, Olympia and the Fortway, additionally they also operated the Quad in Greenwich Village for a while. Eventually one of the partners died of cancer and the small theatres in the chain were either closed or sold off.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 3:41 pm

Theaterat: The Fortway’s last day was actually on Sunday June 19th, when I went there on June 21 all of the theatre signage was removed. All we have now is the Alpine and with the merger who knows how long that will be around for?

RobertR
RobertR on June 26, 2005 at 3:39 pm

The Loew’s Circuit transferred control of the Alpine to Golden Theatre Management circa 1985, Does anyone know when Cineplex Odeon took over to run the Alpine?
posted by Theatrefan on Jun 26, 2005 at 6:51am

A year ago when I talked about Golden managing theatres including the Olympia, people said they were only a booking agent. I knew they ran theatres too.

Theaterat
Theaterat on June 26, 2005 at 3:29 pm

Box Office Bill… In case you have not heard, the Fortway theater had its final curtain call and closed probably for good on 6-24-05.There is now one less theater in Bay Ridge, the Alpine being the last survivor. Check the obits under the “ Fortway "posting.

Theaterat
Theaterat on June 26, 2005 at 3:29 pm

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 26, 2005 at 4:28 am

Cineplex ran it for about 2 years as an ice cream parlor

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 4:04 am

Thanks br91975, the last Golden Theatres that I remember were the Benson & Oceana. I know the Benson closed in 1988, but can’t seem to put a year on when exactly the Oceana closed.

br91975
br91975 on June 26, 2005 at 3:59 am

Golden let go of control of the then-Olympia Quad at Broadway and 107th on the UWS in the spring of ‘87 and I think the Quad Cinema not long thereafter (maybe within a years’ time at most?), so I’d guess Cineplex Odeon took over the Alpine sometime around then.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 3:51 am

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2005 at 3:33 pm

Was it run by Cineplex Odeon at that time? It looks like it’s been closed for a while.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 25, 2005 at 3:22 pm

I reopened the Alpine ice cream parlor when Cineplex Odeon bought that theater …

RobertR
RobertR on June 25, 2005 at 3:16 pm

This place will be closing next.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2005 at 3:04 pm

Does anyone here remember the Alpine Ice Cream Parlor around the corner from the Alpine Theatre on Bay Ridge Avenue? The sign is still there along with the entrance, but the windows and doors are covered up with paint.

BklynRob
BklynRob on May 12, 2005 at 2:51 pm

I use to live on 4th Ave.& 24th St. back in the 60’s/70’s.I remember all those theaters very well. I also have fond memories of the Park movie across from Sunset Park,which is now a supermarket. And I remember going to see the Batman flick at the old Sanders near Prospect Park. I can’t seem to recall what was on 4th ave. & 16 St. back then.I use to go to the Avon & Prospect theaters on 9th St as a kid. I loved the Avon.It’s a shame we have lost all these great theaters.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 12, 2005 at 10:00 am

Box Office Bill… You forgot! The Harbor was on 4th Av., albeit on 92nd. St.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 12, 2005 at 9:57 am

Brooklyn Rob… The Coliseum had mostly English speaking fare, but on occassion they would have a Spanish language film according to a Hispanic friend of mine who lived in the neighborhood. The Terminal, at Dean St. and 4th Av. showed Spanish films near the end of their run- late 60s early to mid 70s. Dont remember a movie house at 4th.Av. and 29th.St. but at 4 th. Av and 16th.St. there is a Strauss auto shop in a building that looks like it was a movie house at one time.The classic theater shape is undeniable. At one time Brooklyn had over 200 movie theaters, but now we are down to a mere 12.

BklynRob
BklynRob on May 11, 2005 at 2:49 pm

I think it was on the south side. It later became a bowling alley. Paradise lanes maybe,not sure.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on May 10, 2005 at 6:37 pm

BklynRob— 4 Ave and 29 Street on the west side of 4 and south side of 29? Ja, you’re really jogging my memory. Perhaps. But a third- or fourth-run emporium in any case, at least in the mid-1940s when my memory begins. I’ll consult FDYB.