Alpine Theatre

6817 Fifth Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11220

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 4:06 pm

Golden was a two-partner business that started the dollar theatre policy in Brooklyn with the Oceana, Graham, Granada, Rugby and the Highway. They also owned the Alpine, Olympia and the Fortway, additionally they also operated the Quad in Greenwich Village for a while. Eventually one of the partners died of cancer and the small theatres in the chain were either closed or sold off.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 3:41 pm

Theaterat: The Fortway’s last day was actually on Sunday June 19th, when I went there on June 21 all of the theatre signage was removed. All we have now is the Alpine and with the merger who knows how long that will be around for?

RobertR
RobertR on June 26, 2005 at 3:39 pm

The Loew’s Circuit transferred control of the Alpine to Golden Theatre Management circa 1985, Does anyone know when Cineplex Odeon took over to run the Alpine?
posted by Theatrefan on Jun 26, 2005 at 6:51am

A year ago when I talked about Golden managing theatres including the Olympia, people said they were only a booking agent. I knew they ran theatres too.

Theaterat
Theaterat on June 26, 2005 at 3:29 pm

Box Office Bill… In case you have not heard, the Fortway theater had its final curtain call and closed probably for good on 6-24-05.There is now one less theater in Bay Ridge, the Alpine being the last survivor. Check the obits under the “ Fortway "posting.

Theaterat
Theaterat on June 26, 2005 at 3:29 pm

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 26, 2005 at 4:28 am

Cineplex ran it for about 2 years as an ice cream parlor

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 4:04 am

Thanks br91975, the last Golden Theatres that I remember were the Benson & Oceana. I know the Benson closed in 1988, but can’t seem to put a year on when exactly the Oceana closed.

br91975
br91975 on June 26, 2005 at 3:59 am

Golden let go of control of the then-Olympia Quad at Broadway and 107th on the UWS in the spring of ‘87 and I think the Quad Cinema not long thereafter (maybe within a years’ time at most?), so I’d guess Cineplex Odeon took over the Alpine sometime around then.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 3:51 am

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2005 at 3:33 pm

Was it run by Cineplex Odeon at that time? It looks like it’s been closed for a while.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 25, 2005 at 3:22 pm

I reopened the Alpine ice cream parlor when Cineplex Odeon bought that theater …

RobertR
RobertR on June 25, 2005 at 3:16 pm

This place will be closing next.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2005 at 3:04 pm

Does anyone here remember the Alpine Ice Cream Parlor around the corner from the Alpine Theatre on Bay Ridge Avenue? The sign is still there along with the entrance, but the windows and doors are covered up with paint.

BklynRob
BklynRob on May 12, 2005 at 2:51 pm

I use to live on 4th Ave.& 24th St. back in the 60’s/70’s.I remember all those theaters very well. I also have fond memories of the Park movie across from Sunset Park,which is now a supermarket. And I remember going to see the Batman flick at the old Sanders near Prospect Park. I can’t seem to recall what was on 4th ave. & 16 St. back then.I use to go to the Avon & Prospect theaters on 9th St as a kid. I loved the Avon.It’s a shame we have lost all these great theaters.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 12, 2005 at 10:00 am

Box Office Bill… You forgot! The Harbor was on 4th Av., albeit on 92nd. St.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 12, 2005 at 9:57 am

Brooklyn Rob… The Coliseum had mostly English speaking fare, but on occassion they would have a Spanish language film according to a Hispanic friend of mine who lived in the neighborhood. The Terminal, at Dean St. and 4th Av. showed Spanish films near the end of their run- late 60s early to mid 70s. Dont remember a movie house at 4th.Av. and 29th.St. but at 4 th. Av and 16th.St. there is a Strauss auto shop in a building that looks like it was a movie house at one time.The classic theater shape is undeniable. At one time Brooklyn had over 200 movie theaters, but now we are down to a mere 12.

BklynRob
BklynRob on May 11, 2005 at 2:49 pm

I think it was on the south side. It later became a bowling alley. Paradise lanes maybe,not sure.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on May 10, 2005 at 6:37 pm

BklynRob— 4 Ave and 29 Street on the west side of 4 and south side of 29? Ja, you’re really jogging my memory. Perhaps. But a third- or fourth-run emporium in any case, at least in the mid-1940s when my memory begins. I’ll consult FDYB.

BklynRob
BklynRob on May 10, 2005 at 3:03 pm

I remember Robert Hall & TSS also. But I always remember the Coliseum showing Spanish films. Did anyone ever remember a movie theater on 4th Ave. & 29th Street? It was a bowling alley at one time,then a gas station. For some reason I have a vague memory of seeing “Attack Of the 50ft. Woman” at this theater. I am probably mistaken.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on May 10, 2005 at 9:05 am

Yes— On 4 Avenue in the 60s, there was also a used car dealership owned by Jack D'Amico. I always thought it odd that, aside from the Coliseum on 52 Street and the Terminal on Dean Street, 4 Avenue sported no movie theaters. As a kid, I held the firm belief that every major avenue should be lined with movie palaces.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 10, 2005 at 8:44 am

Box Office Bill… Quess the old memory ain`t that bad after all!As a movie obsessed kid I was sure there was a theater here and, lo and behold, there was! It is amazing that this theater does not have its own entry in “search theaters”. I found it in the entry for the Sunset.I used to go shopping in this area with my parents way back when, and it was a great place to go on a Friday or Saturday night. I remember a Woolworth, Davega appliances and a great toy store. We also used to go to the Times Square Store(TSS) on 4th av. and 61st, and the Robert Hall clothes shop across the street on 62th. st.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on May 9, 2005 at 9:19 pm

The Vanity: yes! That was there then, and likely the theater that I confused with the Sunset. If it was on the south-west corner of 5 and 56, then, yes, that was the Vanity.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 9, 2005 at 7:13 pm

Box office Bill… I checked the “Sunset” in search theaters and came up with another theater on 5th. a. and 56th.st. in the Sunset Park area. It was owned by Interboro and it was called the “Vanity”.This may be the lost theater I vaugely remember from the early 60s.According to the entry, this theater had no air conditioning. Must have been like an inferno on a hot day.They probably charged a little less than average to get in.

Theaterat