Fortway Theatre

6720 Fort Hamilton Parkway,
Brooklyn, NY 11219

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 8, 2004 at 7:58 am

I wonder if the ceilings in the upstairs theaters are still painted dark blue.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on August 7, 2004 at 7:12 pm

As I recall, the Fortway had an Independent ownership. In the ‘40s and '50s, it was close to the bottom of the food chain because it got run offs from the Loew’s Alpine and RKO Dyker that had funneled through Loew’s Bay Ridge and RKO Shore Road before hitting Interboro’s Harbor, and then the Fortway (or simultaneously the Stanley westwards on 5th Avenue). To the east, the Marlboro in Boro Park and the College in Flatbush received hand-me-downs at roughly the same time. Before VCR and DVD, they were great places to catch films before they disappeared from the circuit. With the closing of most of the above-named, the Forway survives as a first-run house today. Though I could walk to it as a kid, I had never entered it. Gotta do that before it’s too late (for me, not for the Fortway: it’s like the bunny energizer that necveer gives out.)

Movieplace
Movieplace on July 20, 2004 at 11:28 am

Sorry, I forgot I posted a comment here. There is a chapter on theatre organs and their players. It is on a page with quite a few shots of players at the console. The caption reads something to the effect of so and so (I forget the name of the musician) “at the Fortway in Brooklyn. With a pilot’s License?”. The organ is on it’s lift and it appears to be higher up than the orchestra. I will look it up tonight and post it soon

Movieplace
Movieplace on June 28, 2004 at 9:00 am

The Fortway did have originally have an organ. There is a great picture of it in Ben Hall’s “The Best Remaining Seats: The Golden Age of the Movie Palace”

theatrefan
theatrefan on June 25, 2004 at 6:18 am

Here is some information on the seating capacity for each of the Fortway’s auditoriums. Theatre 1: 468 seats, Theatre 2: 390 seats, Theatre 3: 388 seats, Theatre 4: 210 seats, Theatre 5: 210 seats.

HomegaMan
HomegaMan on June 22, 2004 at 8:20 am

The Fortway Theater was also a two feature house throughout the 70’s until 1988 when they also became a multiplex. I remember getting driven there every Sunday in the 70’s by my father so my Mom and my sisters would all go see the newest feature. “Jaws 2”, “Animal House”, “The Shining” and other classics played there to packed houses. After the multiplex came the theater started togo downhill and the seats and decor have almost all gone and fade away. I still go there cause they have some of the films the Alpine can’t get.