Brooklyn Paramount Theatre

385 Flatbush Avenue Extension,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Vito
Vito on March 15, 2007 at 9:34 am

Thanks Kong, Thanks for that info, I would not want to see the theatre in it’s current condition. You sound like someone who is saddened by what has happened there, who knows maybe there will be a miracle and the folks who restored RCMH will be back some day to bring the paramount back.

kong1911
kong1911 on March 15, 2007 at 7:42 am

In answer to Vito, I’ve been there many times. I help take care of the pipe organ from time to time so I can tell you that the theatre is a gym. No seats with a wood basketball court floor and no stage. The walls have been covered over with drywall part way up. The rest of the walls and ceiling are still there. The first mezz. has been removed. The way the conversion was done you could still make a good theatre out of it but the flyspace above the stage will now be limited. I’d love to help them convert it back though. I do want to say that I hope the show does well because it’s for charity but the sound (with all that wood and nothing to hold it back)
will be echoing all over the place. For someone who with their mind
can see through all of this it would be an experiance. I know it was for me the first time I went in there.

Vito
Vito on March 15, 2007 at 5:17 am

So is anyone planning on attending the show next month and perhaps take photos?
I for one would be more than just a little interested in hearing about it.
I am afraid the ads are deceiving, some may be expecting to see the movie palace in all it’s original glory and may not know what the theatre looks like now. Sort of a cruel April Fools joke if you ask me. Lets hope the shows are a major hit, encouraging a restoration of the grand ole gal.

Patsy
Patsy on February 22, 2007 at 11:04 am

A gym would have bleacher seats, but to turn this space back into a theatre space the original or theatre like seats need to be purchased or brought back.

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on February 21, 2007 at 3:44 pm

WINS 1010 DJ Alan Freed held his R'n'R shows here in the late ‘50s. After being slammed hard in the Senate Sub-Committee Hearings on Payola and losing his job in 1960, successor Murray the K took over, sometimes alternating venues at the nearby Brooklyn Fox through 1963 or so (pre-Beatles era).

Will be neat to see some of those names up on a theater marquee again, including Cousin Brucie’s (last heard doing a radio voiceover in “Brooklyn Lobsters” with Danny Aiello in ‘05).

RobertR
RobertR on February 21, 2007 at 2:11 pm

They did one of these rock and roll shows there about 6-8 years ago.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 21, 2007 at 12:52 pm

This is a rock ‘n’ roll show hosted by Cousin Bruce Morrow, with about a dozen acts on the bill. I hope it’s not a one-time thing like that jazz conference back in 2004.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 21, 2007 at 12:01 pm

I am not sure it is a sign of any current attitudes. They have done this jazz showcase before:

Patsy
Patsy on February 21, 2007 at 11:40 am

This is good news as it shows that the powers to be at the college are thinking about turning this space back into a theatre and never again a GYMNASIUM!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 20, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Oh. My. God.
Brooklyn Paramount Rock ‘n’ Roll Reunion Concert scheduled for Sunday, April 1, 2007. Two shows: 2:30pm and 7:30pm. Tickets $40. to $100.
I can hardly believe it.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 30, 2007 at 6:24 pm

I think they just built a new performing arts facility unfortunately. I would certainly rather have the theatre serve as as a student center, along the same lines as the gym, than have it demolished.

Patsy
Patsy on January 30, 2007 at 5:50 pm

The word “reluctant” is an interesting choice as the university Provost should realize the importance of this former theatre that could be used by the university for performances. I plan to write Gale Stevens Haynes and do hope that other CT members will choose to do so also.

CharlieS
CharlieS on January 30, 2007 at 5:11 pm

To all, the going at the university is getting tough and I cant suuggest stongly enough that letters be written in mass to the universlty provost Provost Gale Stevens Haynes, who is reluctant to use the space at the Paramount for anything but a student center. This would be a terrible blow to the theater,equally as bad as the gym. While the university definitly needs and has a legitimate need for a new studnet center, it is clear that both could well be incorporated into the exisiting building, not one or the other. So write, write, write !!!! let her know how we feel, and the support for the restoration and student center. All letters will help greatly to continue to butt her resistance

Patsy
Patsy on January 25, 2007 at 8:36 am

ERD: A student center would be nice, but returning it to a theatre again would be even nicer as so much of it is still there except for the seats, of course.

ERD
ERD on January 25, 2007 at 7:53 am

As one of my favorite theatres in the past, it is wonderful to hear that the theatre may be restored! Hoping L.I.U. will follow through.
I am sure a student center could be incorporated into the design.

CharlieS
CharlieS on January 25, 2007 at 2:07 am

Big news !!!! The universiy quitely has meet on 2 occasions with Hugh Hardey, the world reknowned theatrical architect who restored the Radio City Music Hall. The university is considering the restoration of the theater in conjunction with the installation as part of and intergral to the project a world class student center which it desparetly needs. Hugh Hardey is confident this can be done while not hurting the integrity of the theater itself. The univerrsity will soon be seeking out initial seed money to fund the architect for schematic drawings, so they may then have the tools by which to seek out the larger donations for a project of this magnitude. Understand this project can and will not move forward without the student center incorporated into it. But know it will move forward.
In the not to distant future,there should be more news along with university info for donations. Keep the faith !!!!!

CharlieS
CharlieS on January 25, 2007 at 2:07 am

Patsy
Patsy on January 5, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Well, I’m glad you found them as I tried to locate these photos on the web and had no luck…guess I didn’t know where to look! If you find others that show this theatre within the gym, please post them.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on January 5, 2007 at 7:16 pm

You’re welcome, Patsy; however they are not my photos, I was speeding around the web and found them.

Patsy
Patsy on January 5, 2007 at 5:49 pm

The second photo shows a group of people standing on the gym floor. I wonder if they are there for a basketball game or to see the “theatre”? If I had ever gone to a game in that GYM, I would have had to tape my mouth shut for I would have been very vocal about what L.I.U did and not be so much concerned about the outcome of any game going on!

Patsy
Patsy on January 5, 2007 at 5:45 pm

dave-bronx: Thank you thank you thank you as I just knew that some CT member would have photos to share with us! The first one almost took my breathe away when I could finally see the theatre part high above the gym part. I hope and pray that returning this space back to the beautiful theatre it once was….is DO-ABLE! Thank you again for the photos!!!

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on January 5, 2007 at 4:23 pm

Some recent photos of the Bkln Paramount:

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 4, 2007 at 10:02 pm

I hope it will too Patsy. But it will be a long road back if it does. Not an impossible road, but certainly a long one.

Patsy
Patsy on January 4, 2007 at 5:23 pm

This is a wonderful link to Rosa Rio who used to play the organ at the Brooklyn Paramount and the link says that she lives in FL and plays the organ at the Tampa Theatre now. Also, this Sunday Jan. 7th is the 80th anniversary open house for the Tampa Theatre. If anyone is near Tampa, they should most definitely GO! I went to the 75th anniversary at the Fox in Atlanta and it was a very memorable day!

Patsy
Patsy on January 4, 2007 at 5:13 pm

After reading the many posts about this theatre turned gym I would like to think that this gym will now be returned to the grand theatre that it once was. Can anyone give us some updated information about this ‘hopeful’ idea?