Carolina Theatre

226 N. Tryon Street,
Charlotte, NC 28202

Patsy on February 6, 2006 at 12:24 pm

Ghost Stories of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County: Remnants of the Past in a New South

FROM THE PUBLISHER
The bustling metropolis of Charlotte, the second largest banking center in the country, is constantly growing and changing. Yet there are spirits from the past that refuse to give way to modern growth, or to be forgotten. The ghost of a Confederate officer, complete with his wooden leg, still appears at historic Cedar Grove. A long-dead fireman continues to hang around his old station, and even changes clothes there. At the venerable Manor Theater, the spirit of a former manager often materializes late at night; he sometimes helps with the sweeping. A deceased bootlegger still tries to produce alcohol for his customers. And one small Charlotte house is so haunted that a former resident describes the interior as “liquid black,” which absorbs even light.
Despite the Queen City’s long and rich history, until now there has been no published collection of ghost stories from the region. These 19 tales gathered by Stephanie Burt Williams, and enhanced by her superb photographs, were worth the wait.

Author Bio: Stephanie Burt Williams admits she is a rarity in her city of newcomers-she’s a fourth-generation Charlottean. A professor of Southern Literature at Belmont Abbey College, Williams’s interest in Charlotte’s past has led her to serve as a docent for Rosedale Plantation, which dates from 1815, and to write a series of historical articles for Lake Norman Times.

Patsy on February 6, 2006 at 12:19 pm

Kari: I’ve been doing a little research and if you go to the Barnes and Noble bookstore site and type in the author, Stephanie Burt Williams or the book title you will read about the Manor Theatre. Perhaps you have confused the Manor with the Carolina as it’s the Manor that is mentioned and not the Carolina.

Patsy on February 6, 2006 at 11:45 am

Kari: I have referred your comment/question to CTPS President, Charlie Clayton.

kkgrigg1983
kkgrigg1983 on February 5, 2006 at 3:14 pm

Does anyone know anything about our theatre being haunted? I stumbled on to a book at the library “Ghost Stories of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County” by Stephanie Burt Williams. The author has conducted interviews with some of the care takers and staff who witnessed paranormal activity while working in the theatre. Other than Charlie the janitor I don’t know of anyone else dieing in the theatre.

Patsy on January 29, 2006 at 1:25 pm

Does anyone know of a theatre in the Charlotte area that was called the Starlight?

Patsy on January 11, 2006 at 3:13 pm

Kari: I just printed out the links you posted and found it interesting to read and see the video that also mentioned the restoration of the old Paramount Theatre in Concord on Union Street. We have a good friend who lives on Union so the next time we visit him we shall check out the Paramount location!

Patsy on January 11, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Kari: Thanks so much for these links. I would appreciate it if you would contact me via my email at at your convenience in regards to the Carolina Theatre. I’m a member of CTPS (Carolina Theatre Preservation Society)with Charlie Clayton, President. He has worked for 10 years to see what was decided upon through the council vote at the recent City Council meeting and we are all very appreciative of their decision and of Charlie’s time and dedication to Saving the Carolina!

kkgrigg1983
kkgrigg1983 on January 11, 2006 at 9:53 am

Well it looks as if there has been a final decision made as to the fate of our beloved theatre. Links are provided below with more information.

August 26th 2005 – 22-story tower proposed

January 10th 2006 – Historic Theatres Given New Life

Patsy on January 9, 2006 at 6:49 pm

GREAT NEWS! I just attended the Charlotte City Council meeting. The sale of the theatre to the Atlanta based development company for $1 million dollars was approved at tonight’s meeting. This will allow CTPS (Carolina Theatre Preservation Society) to begin their work towards restoration of the Carolina. Updates will be given here as progress is made.

Patsy on November 3, 2005 at 5:56 pm

“Meanwhile the local Arts & Science Council seems to have dropped any reuse of the Carolina off its radar but they continue with plans to build a new mid sized performance theater a few blocks away.” This is disturbing news as I can’t imagine why any council would want to take the historical Carolina Theatre off their radar and put their sights on building a new theatre a few blocks away? The Carolina Theatre is the cities rich and colorful past and should be preserved for future generations, imo.

Patsy on November 3, 2005 at 5:52 pm

Mark in NC: Thanks for this update as I’m a member of CTPS and since I’m not in the Charlotte area at the moment and haven’t been since April I haven’t been able to keep track of the latest developments. I know a fund raiser was being planned for November 5th at PCC with a production of Love Letters. Please keep CT members posted on any upcoming Carolina Theatre news. Thanks.

ncmark
ncmark on November 3, 2005 at 2:14 pm

The beautiful facade of the Carolina has recently been dismantled and stored inside the shuttered auditorium by order of the City of Charlotte. Liability concerns apparently lead to this action. The local paper keeps hinting at a pending condo development on the site that would incorporate the theater and provide some amount of TIF money towards the restoration of the auditorium. No formal announcement has been released yet – nor have any renderings, budget or reuse strategy been disclosed. Meanwhile the local Arts & Science Council seems to have dropped any reuse of the Carolina off its radar but they continue with plans to build a new mid sized performance theater a few blocks away.

Patsy on October 29, 2005 at 9:14 pm

lostmemory: Thanks for posting the article with photos from 1978. The CTPS (Carolina Theatre Preservation Society is presently trying to save this historical theatre in downtown Charlotte.

Patsy on June 12, 2005 at 8:20 am

keionm: Please mention my name when you contact Charlie. Thanks again for your interest in Charlotte’s Carolina Theatre. If you want to learn much more about the theatre and its interesting history, go to www.mtos.org MTOS stands for Metrolina Theatre Organ Society.

Patsy on June 12, 2005 at 8:18 am

BTW, I just posted the above message at 11:15 a.m. and it reads 8:15 a.m. so the CT clock isn’t matching real time….don’t believe I’ve had this situation occur since becoming a CT member.

Patsy on June 12, 2005 at 8:15 am

keionm: What a lovely Sunday a.m. surprise to find your CT Carolina Theatre message. I hope that you will give Charlie Clayton a call at the above # and tell him of your support and interest in CTPS and our efforts. I also included his email address to contact him in the above March 11th. He would be happy to speak with you, give you the current update and any other general information. I have only been a member of CTPS since last winter. I find the folks involved to be dedicated, knowledgeable in their field(s) and ready to roll their sleeves up, as it were! I was going to send you a personal email, but see that that information is not provided by you on your profile page so therefore this CT post. My email is so feel free to contact me and/or Charlie anytime as I would forward any emails to him. Thanks again for your CTPS interest. Last winter Charlie gave me a tour of the Carolina and it was a memorable visit in many ways!

keionm
keionm on June 12, 2005 at 6:32 am

I can’t tell you how I sympathize and fully support the carolina theater preservation society’s mission. As a North Carolina native who now resides in NY I have seen many landmark and first run theaters close without any type of community support or protest. The fact is is that people in NY feel they’re fighting a losing battle when they wage a war against these corporations to keep these theaters open. What they fail to realize is that they’re losing a piece of americana when they let these theaters fall to closure, abandonment, and deterioration. I stand behind CTPS and vow to support them in whatever way I can to see this theater restored to it’s grandeur in my home state of NC. Be it fundraising events, donations, or whatever charity starts at home and then spreads abroad.

Patsy on March 11, 2005 at 9:52 pm

There seems to be a few CT members who have contributed to this theatre link that perhaps live in the Charlotte area. If this is the case and you want to see this theatre restored, please contact Charlie Clayton at .com or call him at 704-534-1729. There will be a meeting Monday, March 21st at 7:00 PM Doubletree Hotel/Gateway Village 895 Trade Street. If interested, you are more than welcome to join us and meet others who want to see the Carolina Theatre restored. This theatre can be the “Jewel” in Charlotte’s crown. Thanks.

Patsy on March 11, 2005 at 9:39 pm

BTW, does everyone like the new CT format? I’m not sure as I have to ‘maximize’ the link to read the messages, etc. though the print is larger for us older members!

Patsy on March 11, 2005 at 9:37 pm

Anyone reading this link should read some of the Carolina Theatre articles as this theatre needs to be restored! If you want more information, please contact Charles Clayton, President Carolina Theatre Preservation Society (CTPS) via email at .com

Patsy on March 10, 2005 at 10:39 am

Yes, the name Charles Christian Hook is a prominent name in Charlotte architectural history. Oneof his most beautiful buildings is a fire station on S. Laurel near downtown Charlotte.

Patsy on March 9, 2005 at 10:53 pm

Another worthwhile article by Michaele Ballard entitled A New Show at the Carolina can be found at this website

Patsy on March 9, 2005 at 10:47 pm

“Today the theatre is a shell of its former self. Its lobby and retail area were torn down in the ’80s after a fire that was confined to the stage; however, smoke spread throughout the theatre.” This quote taken from the above website.

Patsy on March 9, 2005 at 10:41 pm

Go to www.mtos.org to take a photo tour of the Carolina Theatre to read an interesting article by Michaele Ballard entitled “The Carolina Theatre Awaits Her Fate”.