Uptown Theater

3426 Connecticut Avenue NW,
Washington, DC 20008

sott68
sott68 on February 12, 2010 at 9:18 am

My father took my brothers and I to see Star Wars on a Sunday in May of 1977. We waited in line for 2 hours and missed the first 5 minutes and sat in the balcony. It was awesome! One of the best days of my life.
This is the best theater to see a movie, bar none, in DC. You have to go at least once and make it a specatacle movie, so you can appreciate the size of the screen. I also saw both Die Hards here and I think, Return of the Jedi.
Beautiful place.

sguttag
sguttag on January 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Rodents are in every theatre…particularly old ones with as many cavities for them to hide, as the Uptown. Traps and exterminators were a regular thing when I worked there (for 18 years)…then again, I don’t know any theatre…particularly one with some age on it, that doesn’t fight this battle.

SG

littlephoenix
littlephoenix on January 7, 2010 at 12:47 pm

went to a play in hollywood last year think it was called When Pigs Fly and i must say, i was disgusted, i saw 3 big rats run around grabbing food that people left around the seats, it was strange to see this knowing that we paid $50 a ticket to be seated next to disgusting rodents ewwwwww
my rc electric radio control airplanes

Billyfish
Billyfish on December 27, 2009 at 8:53 am

You are probably right; they are probably in every theater. I guess the difference is when you actually see a rather large one… I have to say that in most theaters I’ve been in, I have NOT seen rats. Then again, I’m not searching for them and don’t really want to see any. Perhaps I’m simply in denial.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 27, 2009 at 8:21 am

What I was saying is rodents are everywhere. The management at the Uptown is not stupid. They see their problems & deal with them. AMC isn’t monitoring this site, so you likely won’t get a more specific reply. But, don’t think, exterminators or not, that ANY theater or other place is always rodent free. Show up at any place…..and you will see the most resilent creatures on earth.

Billyfish
Billyfish on December 27, 2009 at 8:16 am

Looking only for useful responses, thanks just the same. We’re specifically discussing the Uptown Theater in Washington, DC. Did you watch Avatar last week in “all cinemas, new or old — or in restaurants, hotels, the Metro, outside, etc.?”

What I was hoping to hear from someone is that the management was aware that they had a rodent problem a year or two ago, but that the exterminators were called in and the problem is now under control. Or something similar…

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 27, 2009 at 7:25 am

Why not open the question to all cinemas, new or old? or restaurants, hotels, the Metro, outside, etc.

I visited a week ago for “Avatar” and as always, truly enjoyed the spectacle of seeing a movie on the huge screen with a great sound system, in such a large auditorium.

Billyfish
Billyfish on December 27, 2009 at 7:15 am

I truly love this theater, and have seen several movies there, including the 70mm re-release of Lawrence of Arabia, back in 1988. However, last time I was there (I believe it was early 2008), during one of the brighter screen moments in the film, I clearly saw a very LARGE rat crossing the aisle 10 or so rows down from where I was sitting. Since then I have not felt comfortable returning to the Uptown. Has anyone else had such an experience there? I wonder if the management knows they have a rodent problem…

Giles
Giles on December 16, 2009 at 8:09 pm

sure the closest 3D Digital screen to my home is at Mazza, but I was hoping AMC could pony up the time and money to at least insatll Sony’s 4K digital system on the Uptown’s massive screen – the Arclight dome did (curved screen and all) for AVATAR

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on September 15, 2009 at 7:01 pm

All right now..lets not start false rumors. AMC’s website has showtimes through the 24th and as Howard has said, the Informant is the next movie to be booked. Doesn’t sound like closure to me.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 15, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Read where??? The Uptown is currently showing a movie, and appears to be getting another movie “The Informant” and a quick google search reveals no such terrible news.

raysson
raysson on September 15, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I read somewhere that the UPTOWN closed….Is this true?

Washington’s grandest single screen theatre is gone forever???

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 7, 2009 at 7:25 am

I thought I saw them advertising in the Weekend. Given the fact that the alternatives are AMC’s Georgetown and Regal’s Gallery Place and their respective eeny weenie tiny screens, Washingtonians know the Uptown is the place to go for true widescreen enjoyment. I was looking at the Harry Potter advance ticket shows and they are selling 3am shows for opening day. I’m guessing someone is confident there will be demand for it assuming the midnight show sells out.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 7, 2009 at 7:15 am

Weeks ago, AMC removed ALL their theaters from the movie clock of the Philadelphia Inquirer. They are the only chain to be gone from the movie clock.

moviepalacelover
moviepalacelover on July 7, 2009 at 6:42 am

The Uptown has not been advertising their showtimes in the Washington Post for the past several days and that has me worried. They still show their film schedule online — Transformers is showing now and the new Harry Potter film begins next week — but why are they not advertising in the Post? Their lease with AMC is about to expire. Will it be renewed? I am very concerned about this last movie palace in D.C. Any latest info about this wonderful theater would be appreciated.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on May 25, 2009 at 7:06 pm

My friend and I saw Angels and Demons here last Sun (5/17/09) to an almost sell out crowd. We sat in the balcony in the bleeder seats (by choice). It has been a long time since I saw a movie here sitting in the balcony…I’m guessing Who Killed Roger Rabbit? (in ‘70mm back in '88). The movie was still engaging and we could hear surrounds even up in the balcony. Of course, the huge screen helps. Since I had low expectations for this movie, it turned out to be a decent thriller of sorts especially with the ending twist. Now if only they had booked Star Trek here….

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 24, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Movies at the Uptown look very good to me, including “The International.”

bufffilmbuff
bufffilmbuff on March 23, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Anyone know if AMC has gotten the new bulb or is the image still dim?Are they going to keep it open or what?

bobc007
bobc007 on January 22, 2009 at 12:10 pm

As I have posted earlier, I was lucky enough to work from time to time as a projectionist at The Uptown in the early 1980s. I recently posted a “newsreel” about The Uptown on YouTube. It consists of video I shot in 1990, 1991, and November 2008. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwPO7JPdKCY

JABilmes
JABilmes on January 5, 2009 at 5:57 pm

I saw Frost/Nixon there over New Year’s weekend, in no small part because it was playing at the Uptown. Decent crowd for a Sunday matinee, around 40 people with me in the balcony. But maybe they’re still waiting for that new bulb? The image seemed a little dim to me.

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on June 17, 2008 at 12:32 pm

AMC has renewed there lease for another year to see if they want it or not.

bufffilmbuff
bufffilmbuff on June 17, 2008 at 10:01 am

So what is the status with AMC? A few months ago it was said the lease was expiring and the Uptown would close. Or have they decided to stick with it?

Giles
Giles on June 16, 2008 at 7:16 am

what does that mean exactly: ‘scorched lens’?

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on June 14, 2008 at 8:31 am

The Ironman print was screened several times before the Uptown got it. Also the lens at the Uptown has a problem which is called scorched lens. They are waiting for a New Lens and New Bulb that mite be a 5,000, 6,000, 7,000 Watt Bulb to improve the picture.AMC has order new upgrades for the Proj. booth.

Giles
Giles on June 13, 2008 at 8:42 pm

unlilke the crappy print that Paramount sent of ‘Iron Man’ for it’s engagement at the Uptown, ‘Indy 4’ (which I finally saw this evening) looked much better and sounded fantastic. The cigarette burn/reel changes were also not as noticeable as they were on the ‘Iron Man’ print I saw.