AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex

260 E. Highway 4,
Paramus, NJ 07652

moviebuff82 on April 13, 2008 at 7:35 am

before it gets quarantined or salvaged for more parking space, much the same way the tenplex’s sister theater had as well as the old drive-in. Or it could be used for more retail, much like the fate of the old theater inside the Bergen Mall, or perhaps an arts center, since the Paramus Picture Show is mostly now used for rock music and concerts. Was this theater the first theater in Paramus' history? At the time, Paramus had the strip mall cinema, the Route 4 theater, the one on 17, the one at the Bergen Mall, and the drive-in, making Paramus the movie-going destination in Bergen County at a time when attendance was bigger than it is today. Another town that should improve its shopping is Wayne, which desperately needs an improved movie theater.

markp
markp on April 13, 2008 at 6:54 am

All valid points, Chris, however, over my 33 years as a projectionist, there are many theatres I worked in that suffered the same fate. I wished I could have saved them too. But the sad truth is, in todays world, new is in, old is out. Look what happened in New York City over the years. And like you up in Paramus, down here in Woodbridge, do we really need anymore office buildings, or condo’s? It is sad, because these places they build to watch movies in today are nothing more than ‘sheetrock closets’. No charm, no nothing. As far as saving your tenplex, I think even if you won the mega-millions, you still would be out of luck. Chances are the decision has been made about this buildings fate, good or bad, and its only a matter of time…

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on April 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Amen to that. I tried really hard last year to save this historic theater. I actually had two separate independent theater owners interested in leasing the property, which was never actually owned by Loews, AMC, etc… It’s owned by the same company that’s working on redoing the Bergen Mall. Supposedly, when the people I was working with called the company to express interest in keeping it a movie theater, they were told there were already plans in place to use the property for an extension of the new mall. The petition I had, actually still have online, along with the article in the paper, didn’t seem to have enough of an effect on the local citizens to get them to do something about it. You rarely see anyone over 18 going into the new theater at the mall, so I’m guessing most of the older Tenplex crowd is going elsewhere or watching cable. I called every local city, county, and state politician, and although they didn’t brush me off, they really didn’t do a damn thing about it, because there were no kickbacks to be had. It still breaks my heart to think that this great theater will someday be gone. NJ has a major issue with not giving a sh*t about historical buildings and it’s sad. Most other states I’ve visited pride themselves on keeping historical sites viable. Giants Stadium, the Meadowlands Arena, and the Bergen Mall are so easily thrown under the bus in the name of so-called progress. If the new theater at the mall is progress, than I’ll be happy to go back to the past. No matter how many politicians want to use the message of change, most change is usually for the worse, not the better. Rhett39, if you can think of anything I didn’t do to save the Tenplex, please let me know. I’d still do almost anything to save it.

rhett
rhett on April 12, 2008 at 5:35 am

I walked aroubd the theater a few days ago The exterior) I was in the area…it’s boarded up but still intact, there was a bulldozer picking up stuff at one end of the theater…wouldn’t it be grand if they saved the theater, made it an entertainment venue for shows, concerts and special premiere film screenings as well as some classic retrospective? It’d be a dam shame to just knock it down, they have the parking. I hear that they saved the Wellmont in Montclair and that it opens in the fall , as a concert hall etc. Maybe they’ll show an occasional movie. As for the Rt. 4- well, it’s good to dream. Any millionaires out there looking for a good buy? Go for it…

moviebuff82 on April 6, 2008 at 10:43 am

That’s a good thing, since the AMC right by me in Rockaway has a deal that lets you get a free hot dog at Nathans or cash off a burger at Fatburger. I believe the Fuddruckers in Bridgewater as well as those in Parsippany and Succasunna do these food offers when customers bring in tickets from theaters. BTW, when did Fuddruckers open…I believe it was during the late mid to late 90’s when the Tenplex was starting to show its age but survived into the 21st century.

supermp2
supermp2 on April 6, 2008 at 9:39 am

Fuddruckers looks to do doing fine. Off topic, it’s attracts it’s own customers that are looking for something different from the standard fare in the area. The game room/games are alo an attraction.
In fact I believe the Artic Thunder machine they have is the one formerly housed by the 10 plex.
On topic, they’ve continued their agreement with the new theater for reduced price tickets they should have retained whomever went for that reason.

JeffS
JeffS on April 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm

“Speaking of 70mm, the new indiana jones will premiere in that format”

You mean in the IMAX 70mm format, right?

It’s not really the same thing. The image size is many times greater in the Imax 70/15 horizontal format than it is in the classic 70/5 vertical pull format. To archive the same image size on the screen requires less magnification, which of course means less grain blowup, higher perceived resolution, etc.

moviebuff82 on April 5, 2008 at 7:51 am

Speaking of 70mm, the new indiana jones will premiere in that format for its world premiere over in Cannes, and will be released in 35mm and in digital on May 22. As for the previous comment, Temple of Doom came out when it was still a seven plex and was one of the last major movies to be shown on the large screens before chopped up into 10 four years later. Since the tenplex is no more, what will become of Fuddruckers?

moviebuff82 on April 3, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Back when Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, that year the Route 4 became a sevenplex and still had 70mm to project that movie and its successors, Temple of Doom (still a tenplex), and Last Crusade (when it became the tenplex and was owned by CO). Out of those three indy movies, which one lasted long at this theater, and which had the best presentation?

moviebuff82 on March 31, 2008 at 11:57 am

Actually, according to an ad posted by a CT user, this theater opened in October of 1965, not when Thunderball came out. Thunderball was the first James Bond movie to play at the Route 4 theater, but not in Paramus, as older theaters in the area played Dr. No and Goldfinger. It would become the longest running film series at the Tenplex, ending with Casino Royale a few months before shutting down. Quantum of Solace will be the first James Bond movie to play at the Garden State 16. The new Indiana Jones will play at that theater, as all three movies have played in the Route 4. And the new Star Wars animated cartoon will be playing at GS16, too.

moviebuff82 on March 23, 2008 at 6:00 pm

They used to have signs that mentioned Stanley Warner, and then Century’s. What plans will happend nearly a year after this place is closed?

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on March 22, 2008 at 9:07 pm

This theatre closed as “AMC Loews Paramus Rout 4 Texplex”, although the signs on the building still read “Cineplex Odeon Route 4 Tenplex”

moviebuff82 on March 20, 2008 at 1:37 pm

one other thing….the name should be changed to Route 4 Tenplex, not Loews Primus Route 4 Tenplex.

moviebuff82 on February 16, 2008 at 7:58 pm

thanks for changing the status of the theater, CT. I wonder what will become of this now barren building. I guess a million people visited this theater during its 42 year run.

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on February 12, 2008 at 6:39 pm

I may be wrong, but I would think people would be on here to talk about their great memories of this theater, not to constantly harp on its closing. What’s the point of complaining about this site’s listing of its status? I keep getting emails from this site telling me there are new posts regarding the tenplex. Every time I follow the link here, all I find are people moaning that the site hasn’t listed it as closed or discussing what new retail monstrosity should replace it. A lot of us still wish it remained open or that the land owners would change their minds about using it to put more unneeded retail space on. The new theater at the mall is horrible compared to the tenplex. Every theater there is exactly the same, no wide screens, no special feeling of being at a true theater, instead of a factory. It’s like watching a movie on a large television screen, instead of in a classic, formal theater. It’s amazing what people are content with these days. Yes, he tenplex had it’s flaws, but its positives far outweighed the negatives, even in its latter years. I spent close to thirty years enjoying the tenplex with my family and friends, it’s too bad people here just care about its closing status and dancing on its' grave. I’d love to log in here and actually read some stories about peoples' experiences at the theater over the years. In other words, let’s see some positives for once, please.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 12, 2008 at 5:28 pm

cinamatour has no traffic on the site..

William
William on February 12, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Justin just think it took just till yesterday for the National Theatre in Westwood to have it’s status change to closed/demolished. I guess seeing pictures of just the iron framework of the building helped.

moviebuff82 on February 12, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Screw CT….Cinematour does a good job of tracking theaters like this, but they don’t get the popularity of Cinema Treasures!!!

JeffS
JeffS on February 12, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I’ve sent several emails to the site’s operators about this theater, and the Rt 17 RKO Century (which is demolished). No response, no change. I’ve been doing it for months. This site’s on auto-pilot.

moviebuff82 on February 12, 2008 at 10:19 am

I’m check here right now, and it’s still “open”? Boy, this theater policy will be taking a long, long, time…it’s closed, closed, CLOSED!!!

moviebuff82 on February 10, 2008 at 11:25 am

someone at ct should update the summary of the theater, as well as the status and in the near future, what retail space the former theater will turn into. I think the size of that building would fit an organic foods market like Whole Foods or perhaps Trader Joe’s..maybe a Chuck E'Cheeses, since there’s so few of them in North Jersey (East Hanover and Wayne come to mind). Maybe a Sonic Drive-In, since the crowd over at Fuddruckers has declined since the tenplex closed!!!

moviebuff82 on January 30, 2008 at 11:51 am

That’s right. When Cineplex Odeon merged with Loews, all trailers related to Cineplex were removed and replaced by the Loews Cineplex policy trailer, featuring a crowd attending a premiere of a movie at a Loews Cineplex theater. It would soon be replaced by the filmstrip guy from AMC after AMC bought the location and relocated the movies to GSP. A clip of CO’s coliseum in space trailer can be found on Youtube. FYI, Loews Cinplex had a sibling in Europe called Yelmo Cineplex, which used the same music as Loews in the US. BTW, what will be in that old space since the theater’s gone?

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on January 30, 2008 at 5:25 am

It also should have its name updated to “AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex”, as this was the name of the theatre when it closed.

moviebuff82 on January 11, 2008 at 12:08 pm

It should be set to closed, CT people!!!