Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

movieguy
movieguy on September 23, 2008 at 12:05 pm

I was told that the schedule for Mid Oct to Dec WILL be ready soon. I will post when I have the information.

movieguy
movieguy on September 20, 2008 at 9:06 am

Looks like there is “TROUBLE IN PARADISE!” I was told in July that “There will be a BIG Schedule of shows for the fall”. I have called back 4 or 5 times since then and been told that “In a few weeks we will have the schedule up”

I even received a call back from the manager of the Paradise in response to one of my calls around Aug 22nd, promising the unavailing of the fall/winter schedule.

I hope that some events will be taking place at this Grand Movie Palace. However with the bad economic times that seems to be unlikley.

mahermusic
mahermusic on August 24, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Something’s going on… (or NOT going on, for that matter.) Check out this listing on RipOffReport.com, a website about companies that don’t pay their employees:

movieguy
movieguy on July 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm

I talked to a rep at the box office today.He said that by tomorrow they will have a new schedule of shows. They will be some very big surprises in his words. See we will see hopefully they will offer some shows aimed at a more diverse population then the shows in the past.

Luisana
Luisana on July 11, 2008 at 4:21 am

Thanx Warren! I emailed Mr. Lopes. I’m just waiting for a reply. Is the person under the name “The Paradise Theater” an employee or staff member?

theINDUSTRYnyc
theINDUSTRYnyc on July 1, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Luisana Do you have an email I can send you the information you requested.

Luisana
Luisana on July 1, 2008 at 2:08 am

Thanx Bear! I thought they would because the Loews Jersey theater does. Thanx Warren for your help. If I could only find a contact number.

beardbear31
beardbear31 on July 1, 2008 at 1:55 am

yes they cater to weddings, as of the last time their website was functioning

Luisana
Luisana on June 30, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I’m going to have to swing by there to see if I see something. The site isn’t working and there is no contact info. Ahhh this sucks!

Luisana
Luisana on June 30, 2008 at 5:21 am

Could someone please give me a contact number for the theatre. I’m getting married next year and would like to rent the place for this purpose. I would greatly appreciate the help.

theINDUSTRYnyc
theINDUSTRYnyc on June 5, 2008 at 10:13 am

The theater is going through changes. I believe this is why the site is temp. down

roxy1927
roxy1927 on May 27, 2008 at 6:08 pm

The Paradise has a beautiful proscenium for movies and I would love to see cinemascope on that screen.
I thought they once were going to show WWS(though god knows that film needs a rest) with some of the cast members present.
Why would those involved not want to show movies there occasionally?
And the Jersey could use some help with their programming which at times can be strange though they have a good one coming up.

mp775
mp775 on May 27, 2008 at 4:43 pm

It’s up to the theater’s management to program what it thinks will fill the seats. Since the Paradise has been open for more than two years now, the “narrow” scope of programming and the community the building serves must be a formula for success. We would love to see classic films up on the big screen all the time, but when was the last time you saw capacity crowds on a regular basis at the Loew’s Jersey? We theater and film buffs are in the minority, and it’s $60-a-seat live events that will ultimately pay the bills. We should be thankful this place is restored and not torn down or turned into another Modell’s or Marshall’s.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on May 22, 2008 at 12:42 pm

That’s Bernie Williams, from the Yankee’s.

RobertR
RobertR on May 22, 2008 at 8:52 am

The theatres official web site seems to be down

jpietri
jpietri on May 22, 2008 at 12:23 am

yes, that is so true.my grandmother’s sister lives in washington heights and my cousin went to see annie lennox.the overwhelming majority of people that attended she told me were not the local great unwashed uncultured declasse hoodrats that inhabit the neighborhood.I'am sorry they destroy everything they touch or every neighborhood they go to.fordam road and washington heights were beautiful neighborhoods when they were jewish.Thank god i do not come from those low class type of latinos.enuff said.the theater is not to far from yankee stadium(On the same subway line).So that is probably a great idea.I would love to see old movies being played there.like at the loews jersey.

stevebob
stevebob on May 21, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Though situated in a poor neighborhood, the location of the Paradise has the advantage of proximity to two subway lines plus easy accessibility by car.

The exact same description can be applied to The United Palace (a/k/a Loew’s 175th Street), a venue of similar size and ambiance.

The crowds that have filled the United Palace to see Van Morrison, Annie Lennox and Neil Young weren’t drawn from its immediate vicinity. They traveled! Audiences for shows at the Paradise can, too.

jpietri
jpietri on May 21, 2008 at 8:51 pm

It is too bad that a theater like this is not in manhattan and stuck in a a neighborhod where people generally have no culture at all or an interest in a theater that would show film classics.The neighborhood is the main problem.Nothing against a neighborhood that is primarily Dominican.Believe me I know.I have asked many people around there in spanish(I'am puerto rican).You are talking about the great unwashed that live around there.It just seems to be the truth.I have seen people walk by that theater that could care lees about the treasure they have in their community.

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on May 19, 2008 at 1:30 am

For those who manage the Paradise, it will be a difficult task to make it a success. In the trade it’s a type of theater known as “a barn.” A beautiful place but difficult to program for. There a several factors working against it even before you take into account the skills of the managers.
Size: 3800 seats is a tough room it fill.
Competition: More established spaces of similar size are plentiful. In mid sized cities you can program for a place this big because it’s the only one in town. Broadway tours can fill it for a couple of nights, concerts on week ends. There is a built in audience base. In NYC there are at least 50 houses in a 10 mile radius that provide either theatre or music on a regular basis.
Name recognition: People know the Garden, Radio City, the Beacon, Broadway. Loews Paradise, not so much. There’s a simple solution. Produce your own show on a regular basis with the theater’s name in the title and get out to as wide an audience as you can. internet, public access, cable.
The Paradise will need to find a niche and build an audience. The key to success will be getting audience members into the habit of going there. Studies find audience members will go to more events if they will go to the first one. If two different shows are playing across the street from each other you will find that they don’t compete against each other but rather complement each other. If an audience member is willing to go to one event, they are more likely to go out the next night to another event. They need variety.
If I were managing the place, I would try to reach out to the local artistic community and make the place available for a series of low cost events. In my youth, it would be a regular battle of the local bands. Local acts on a regular basis. Make your break even point filling the orchestra,close the balcony and make your profit on concessions. Read the article in this Sunday’s Times about programming for the New Victory. Look everywhere for new acts and give them an outlet. That is the road to success. Put butts in seats.

stevebob
stevebob on May 18, 2008 at 12:20 pm

The two most recent comments speak for those of us who would like to see variety in the programming at the Paradise. Unfortunately, its description in the introduction on this page as a “Latino theatre and special events venue” is vexingly at odds with such a goal.

I raised an objection to the offending phrase in my comment on February 28 and repeat it nowâ€"unless, that is, management’s booking policy genuinely is specifically to target such a narrow audience.

Otherwise, it’s nonsensical and off-putting. Would anyone seriously describe the Apollo Theatre as a Black theatre just because it’s in Harlem? Or a theatre in Chinatown as an Asian theatre? New York City is all about diversity, and even the Bronx is far more diverse than many realize. That description is exclusionary, rather than inclusive.

Because of that great diversity in audiences easily within the potential reach of the Paradise, limiting its programming to hip-hop, boxing and “the occasional Spanish show that comes in” wouldn’t seem to make much business sense, either.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on May 18, 2008 at 11:17 am

I would like to see some great vocalists, such as Tony Bennett, Al Martino and Keely Smith. Or some acts from the early days of rock and roll, such as Brenda Lee, Neil Sedaka and Dion. Latin legend Trini Lopez is still cooking and puts on a great show. Big Bands from the forties and doo-wop from the fifties would be wonderful too!

markp
markp on May 18, 2008 at 8:39 am

It sounds to me like the Paradise as of now, is doing the same types of shows as the Ritz in Elizabeth N.J. That theatre underwent a complete restoration, and now sits empty except for the occasional spanish show that comes in. Yet, with proper management and promotion, that theatre could be as big as the New Jersey PAC in Newark, or the State in New Brunswick. For any of these big theatres to survive as performing arts, they need to be diverse, cater to all, and let people know youre out there. With the Paradise, its been documented in the newspapers, as with the Ritz, no one knows its there.

IanJudge
IanJudge on May 18, 2008 at 4:25 am

I have to agree with Warren over this particular issue – misrepresentation can cause all sorts of issues. A theater can have/be a promoter, but not all promoters work for theaters directly. If one of the promoters who occasionally use the theater I operate was to have a signature/moniker of my theater’s name, I would be irate. It is not clear whether that is the case here, but what is very clear is that many people have great affection and hopes for the Loew’s Paradise, including THE PARADISE THEATER.

theINDUSTRYnyc
theINDUSTRYnyc on May 17, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Gentlemen, We had great success with Patti Labelle and friends and will continue to bring THE BEST of THE BEST to the Theater. We hope everyone enjoys the show and welcome all promoters to put the Theater on the map again…in good taste of course

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 17, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Warren, There are no rules regarding what names people log onto as on this site, providing they are not obscene or offensive. ‘THE PARADISE THEATRE’ is quite rightly pointing the way forward on the future of the the Paradise Theater, and drumming up interest for the building. Let’s hope that more shows come our way and keep the building operating.

Last November I toured the building with my group of 60 members of the Cinema Theatre Association (UK) and we were eagerly greeted and welcomed by management and staff of the theatre, who made us feel most at home. If this welcoming attitide is passed onto regular patrons, then the future of the theatre will be even more secure.