Loew's Valencia Theatre

165-11 Jamaica Avenue,
Jamaica, NY 11432

PKoch on September 20, 2007 at 11:49 am

Jack Tomai, good to read you back on this site again !

I remember those Woolworth’s chicken chow mein sandwiches well, but in Ridgewood, Queens, not Jamaica. My family and I liked them so much that we made our own at home, from take-out chicken chow mein, and buns from the grocery store.

I also remember eating at A & S on Fulton St. in downtown Brooklyn, 1962-66, both the cafeteria in the basement, and the fancier restaurant on the 4th floor. When I had the shrimp creole at the restaurant, I thought I was in heaven !

jacktomai
jacktomai on September 20, 2007 at 10:53 am

The Gertz Dept. Store in Jamaica was, if I remember it correctly, sort of like a 2nd rate Macy’s yet still a very nice department store. I remember it well because my sister-in-law Regina Murphy worked there in the coffee shop in Gertz as a waitress in the late 60s/early 70s.
Does anyone remember the odd but very tasty chicken chow mein sandwiches on a hamburger bun you could get at the Woolworth’s counter in Jamaica?
I remember when I was a child, my grandmother taking me shopping with her and we would always eat lunch in a dept. store restaurant or coffee shop. It seemed so many stores had them back “in the day”. What a terrific convenience for shoppers!

PKoch on September 20, 2007 at 9:31 am

Thanks, Ed Solero. Did you graduated from Jamaica High School in June 1983 ?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 20, 2007 at 9:28 am

The Gertz was to the west on Jamaica at New York Blvd, wasn’t it? That street is now known as Guy R. Brewer Blvd. Mays was another department store I remember in the area, further to the east on Jamaica Ave around 170th Street. Mays lasted at least into the early 1980’s when I graduated from Jamaica High School.

twhiteside
twhiteside on September 20, 2007 at 6:43 am

Thanks for all the comments about the 9/14/52 movies at the Valencia. I also took the 1st commentor’s suggestion to check the NY Times microfilm @ the library & found that they were Iindeed “20 Million Miles to Earth” & “The 27th Day” Relative to another issue there was a Gimbels on the south side of Jamaica Ave. near the theater & before it was a Gimbels it was a Gertz.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 19, 2007 at 9:03 am

I notice in the ad that it’s the last day at the Valencia for “Beau James” and “Rumble on the Docks” and that they both would be playing the next day at the Loew’s Triboro in Astoria. So I guess the Triboro was a send-run move-over house, even though it was a pretty opulent place itself. /theaters/1542/

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 8:35 am

Good idea, Lost Memory ! Now it’s a power supply issue !

Ten billion gigawatts into the flux capacitor! Right from the third rail of the Jamaica el ! And right down that center track !

Lost Memory, that’s good to know about what Google will find for you.

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 8:26 am

Thanks, saps.

Their good points ? Yes, two each, I would say.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 19, 2007 at 8:14 am

>>saps, whose chest do you prefer, King Kong’s or Jayne Mansfield’s ? How about Fay Wray ?

They all have their good points.

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 8:13 am

“Rodan” was released in the USA in 1957 :

Yes, Lost Memory, you may attend a service at the Tabernacle Of Prayer. Now, how do we get you back in time 30 or more years ?

Some creature running amok, Jayne Mansfield ? How about “Attack Of The Fifty Foot Woman” ? She went looking for Harry inside the Valencia, and damaged the El in so doing !

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 19, 2007 at 8:13 am

Admission is free, but donation gladly accepted.
How did you cheat? Did you look it up somewhere?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 19, 2007 at 7:54 am

The answer, for when Warren’s link is taken down, is “20 Million Miles to Earth” and “The 27th Day.”

and I was almost right — there WAS a Jayne Mansfield picture playing in Jamaica that date, but not with the ad line “Not Since ‘King Kong’ Has The Screen Seen Anything Like It!” although both pictures had stars with prominent chests.

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 7:53 am

Interesting, Warren, that it would have been fight FILMS, then, rather than closed-circuit TV coverage of the fight.

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 7:50 am

Excuse me, “Quatermass And The Pit” was the British title of the 1967 film released as “Five Million Years To Earth” in the USA. The second, 1957 Quatermass film, again with Brian Donlevy in the title role, was titled simply “Quatermass 2”.

There was also a TV series titled “Quatermass And The Pit”.

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 7:42 am

Thanks, Warren.

Which two films were Columbia releases ?

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 7:31 am

You’re welcome, Ed. It’s million of years, instead of millions of miles. I saw all three Quatermass films at Film Forum in lower Manhattan in August 1987, my first time to one of their summer sci fi film festivals. The line I remember from “Quatermass And The Pit” was Quatermass saying, “Those pipes are full of human pulp !” and seeing some monstrous bell-shaped thing, like The Addams' Family’s Cousin Itt, sloshing around in dark liquid goo inside of some huge septic tank.

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 7:26 am

Rodan was released in 1956, “Vertigo” in 1958.

“Vertigo” would have been awesome at the Valencia !

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 18, 2007 at 3:26 pm

Yup. Thanks Pete! I now recall each of those films – just a difference of 15 million years! I never saw “Quatermass and the Pit,” though I am aware of its existence.

PKoch on September 18, 2007 at 3:22 pm

No, Ed, I think you’re confusing it with “Five Million Years To Earth”, about the Martian spaceship found in the Hobbs End subway station in London, the third Quatermass film, the first two being “The Quatermass Experiment”, with Brian Donlevy in the title role and Richard Wordsworth as the hollow-eyed astronaut Victor Carune, who slowly and painfully degenerates into a blob of tentacle-waving goo that must be electrocuted near Westminster Abbey before it reproduces itself and consumes all life on Earth. The American release was titled “The Creeping Unknown”. The rarely seen second film was “Quatermass And The Pit”.

“20 Million Miles To Earth” was the Harryhausen-Charles H. Schneer film about the giant T-Rex-like Ymir from Venus. The Kraken from the 1981 Harryhausen-Charles H. Schneer film “Clash Of The Titans” was very similar to it.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 18, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Never heard of that one either. So what is the first film… “20 Million Miles to Earth?” That’s one of the Quartermass films from Britain, isn’t it?

PKoch on September 18, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Thanks, Lost Memory. I don’t think I’d ever heard or read about this film !

PKoch on September 18, 2007 at 2:42 pm

“20 Million Miles to Earth” plus “Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers” would have made it a Ray Harryhausen FX double feature.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 18, 2007 at 2:36 pm

The first would have to be Jayne Mansfield in “The Girl Can’t Help It” (and indeed the screen had never seen anything like [them]) and the second feature has many shocking possibilities but none that I can place in 1957…Streisand as Yentl? Lucy as Mame? Liberace as straight? All mind-boggling, yet none correct.

PKoch on September 18, 2007 at 2:18 pm

“Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers” ?