Marbro Theatre

4110 W. Madison Street,
Chicago, IL 60624

amoswald
amoswald on February 5, 2011 at 10:21 am

Loved all the theaters on the West Side. Am looking for any photos of the neighborhood from Garfield Park to Austin.

I am writing a series of short stories about growing up in the neighborhood and am trying to find photos of Solick’s, my family’s restaurant at 4207 Madison Street. I lived in the apartments above the restaurant.

My parents and grandparents were West Siders. They attended St. Mel’s and Providence. I went to St. Mel’s Grammar School. It was a magical place to grow up and we miss it everyday.

Reading these posts brings back fond memories.

Anita Solick Oswald

Scrabble
Scrabble on February 5, 2011 at 6:50 am

Thank you for your post. This is so sweet and touching. I used to shop at The Three Sisters' Shop and it brings back so many memories before change took place…..nothing stays the same. Have a great day.

BobbyS on February 4, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I just met someone and we were talking about the Madison Crawford shopping district. He told me he took his date to the Marbro Theatre for a matinee and after the movie they went to The Three Sister’s store on the corner of Madison/Crawford and bought her a pink angora sweater. They have been married for 60 years. Longer than the Marbro Theatre existed!!

BobbyS on February 4, 2011 at 9:59 pm

BobbyS on January 28, 2011 at 12:04 am

Thanks TheatreOrgan for the link. Great pix!

BobbyS on January 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Must have been a sad day when the Marbro organ was removed. It was played until it left, mostly on week-ends I remember. Would love to see the wonder organ of Loew’s Kings back in the theater again. Its possible. The organ is in mint condition sitting in a home in the western suburbs of Chicago. And its a gem!

TheatreOrgan
TheatreOrgan on January 18, 2011 at 7:47 pm

For those theatre organ fans of the Marbro Wurlitzer, there are approximately 5 to 6 negatives for sale presently on ebay, supposedly of this Marbo organ, during its removal from the theatre in 1959. There are three negatives of the console, one of the bottom of the organ lift pit, and some from a pipe chamber. If interested, type in www.ebay.com then enter the following item number in the search box, which will take you to one of the negatives. From there, you can search for the others. The item number is: 330520706101.

BobbyS on January 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Scott, My feeling exactly as I turned the corner in my car. The vertical is out of size. Too small. Must look nice at night with the chasers on. When was the original taken down and replaced with this one? When you think of the Marbro’s giant sign which could be seen for many blocks away, that’s a vertical!! I loved the inner lobby with all the beautiful lamp treatments. They were setting up for the night performance of RSO. I plan to go back again! I was also sad to see all the vacant lots and stores for rent around the theater.

BobbyS on January 17, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Scott, I made it to the Coronado Theater Sat morn. What a GEM as you said. It reminded me of a smaller Atlanta Fox with all the courtyards lit up. It was in excellent condition and the organ sounded wonderful. What a thrill you must have had watching movies there. Almost like the Marbro as far as ornate surroundings are concerned.

BobbyS on January 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm

The Nortown on Chicago’s north side once during Christmas had red and green builds replacing the regular white and the lower chasers. Probably done by the manager. This is when it was still B&K’s.

BobbyS on January 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Scott, I am sure there are pictures taken with little kodaks of the Marbro’s lobby holiday decorations. They are probably sitting in someones draw or basement. They did blend in with all the ornate marble. I never saw anything that looked like a decoration at the Paradise except for a few flags during 4th of July week. And by then the Paradise was hanging on by a string…

BobbyS on January 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Scott, it wasn’t every year. I don’t know how often managers were changed. I think it was up to the manager if he wanted to celebrate. Sometimes the State theater had decorations and sometimes not. I wonder if there was an allowance from management for that purpose.

BobbyS on December 23, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Does anyone remember the Christmas tree in the Marbro lobby?
One year they had it between the balcony stairs that were divided. Another year they had it on a side lobby wall with garlands hanging between the marble columns.

BobbyS on November 23, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Scott, I saw the M-Squad set in one the chain video stores in Chicago and will be interested to hear what you discover in them. I
think when talkies came in and B&K got the Marbro and other Marks Bros. theaters, they did not change the bill as often as before. I am glad you are enjoying the TCM series. I am. Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in cyberspace!!!!!

BobbyS on November 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm

If you find anything with the Marbro or Paradise marquee,I would be very interested in buying the set. I really don’t ever remember any world premier at the Marbro. It would have been in the west side papers and all the kids would have been talking about it at school.
I went to a program on silent films recently and the talker said it was common for the palaces of the 20'e to change their bills 3 times a week. Sometimes showing a film at one time a day in order to get the other films shown. For example, A film would open at the Marbro and would be there a week, it would move down to one showing at say 6pm leaving the time slots open for new films. If the film was still popular, it was given to the State theater down Madison St. After B&K bought the Marbro and sound came on the scene, maybe they would sent it down to the Paradise until it “fizzeled down” I do not know if they continued the three-a-week policy after 1930. Everyone enjoying “Moguls” on TCM? Monday showed a nice picture of Chicago’s Granada Theater with a big sign under the marquee above the door entrance spelling out “A BALABAN & KATZ THEATER”………

BobbyS on November 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm

OeOeO, Thanks for the tip. I’ll try to watch. I don’t remember any premieres in any of the westside palaces. Only downtown first, then to the westside. I saw “The Robe” first at the State-Lake on a reserved seat basis, than again at the Marbro months later and enjoyed it better because of the glorious theater. As I said here before, B&K should have re-mastered the Paradise for the wide-screen
treatment for these biblical epics and highly advertise them to schools and church groups. I bet you would hear more than once from
a child leaving with the parents, “Does God live here”?……….

OeOeO
OeOeO on November 2, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Anyone in the Chicago area watching the M Squad reruns. They are on ME2 tv(ch26.3), daily at 10pm and on the weekends. There are various location shots of Chicago from 1957-1960. Not really theater oriented, though some show up. Last night they showed the advertising for “The Vikings” on an unidentified theater as Lee Marvin walks by.I’ll have to check to see where the Vikings premiered. He makes various references to people living in upscale west side residences though I can’t identify the area from the clips.
There is an interesting history to this series as they had to do these location shots guerilla style as Mayor Daley disapproved of showing the city in a violent way. BTW the city does not looks as glamorous as we have imagined it in our youthful memories.

BobbyS on October 26, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Scott, Thanks for the info. No wonder they have the same feeling.
I saw the promo on WTTW for the upcoming show in November with Geoffrey Baer. It shows alot of the beauty that I remember as a child. I never went to Washington Park or for that matter Douglas Park. Mostly stayed around Garfield Pk and Columbus Pk. And yes, I got to them on streetcars!!

BobbyS on October 22, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Scott, I am hoping they will give details about Garfield Park in the years it was developed. It was pretty nice along with Douglas Park.
Chicago had very good planners when it came to parks. Sorta like the people that developed Central Pk. in NY. Every little detail was thought about for the comfort and enjoyment of the population. And we were quite safe to roam around in them. I loved the lagoons!

BobbyS on October 19, 2010 at 4:53 pm

My pleasure Scott, Lets hope they might be new photos of our Paradise and Marbro in the mix. One can only hope…..

BobbyS on October 16, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Scott, I often wondered myself why West Garfield never gentrified?
The park is beautiful. Oak Park was a skip & jump away as you say. The transportation (even without the trolleys) is close to the loop.
There is a program on WTTW in late November on the Monday after Thanksgivg I believe called “Bicyling the Boulavards” on Chicago Sts.
This is the latest installment of Chicago-remembered. Many of the beautiful parks will be featured as well as the neigborhoods. Should be interesting!

BobbyS on October 16, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Thanks OeOeO for the map view. It was like being on an airplane looking down to my former “playground” in the 50’s. Scrabbie is right about Robert Hall & Goldblatt’s. Also spent alot of time at Madigans next to the Marbro. I think some of the suburbs are trying to have that feel to them today. A library down from the movie theater along shops and places to munch. Downers Grove is like that. Park Ridge and Elmhurst too. But they all pale in the comparison of the large scale that Madison & Crawford had.

Scrabble
Scrabble on October 14, 2010 at 9:29 am

Wow such a wonderful link for information and what a gem this is! I will have to check out further when I have more time. Thanks so much OeOeo. Have a great day.

Scrabble
Scrabble on October 14, 2010 at 8:55 am

Thanks again. Very interesting — I used the google street view and saw Church’s Chicken, Payless Shoes, and Al’s Beef. Now I have to check out your latest link with a pdf map.

OeOeO
OeOeO on October 14, 2010 at 8:50 am

Btw. Here is a link to Jazz Age Chicago with info on the Madison Crawford area. It includes a pdf map from 1950