AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,251 - 1,275 of 1,500 comments

moviebuff82 on December 26, 2008 at 2:13 pm

speaking of holidays, AMC’s holiday pricing went into effect yesterday and will continue until January 4th. This is good news for me, since I’ll be catching up on some oscar-calibur flicks in a recession year. The last time a recession happened, people in Rockaway went to the older theater to catch a flick, and the chain survived, although it closed before it was over. I got an AMC gift card for xmas, about $25, so I’ll spend it on two tickets for Benjamin Button between me and my aunt, use my two coupons for a free small drink and small popcorn, and save the rest for an AM Cinema IMAX showing, since they’ll be the most expensive ticket in town!!!

markp
markp on December 24, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I agree Cinemark. You and I have gone back and forth on this for a while now. I have nothing against Justin, he’s a good patron of our industry, and I applaud him for that. But he does not work in the industry, and as a projectionist for almost 34 years, I can tell you, been there, done that. I have not run or seen digital IMAX (dietmax as you so apptly put it) but I have not heard one good thing yet. When I ran the IMAX at White plains N.Y. in 2004, it blew me away. Imax will destroy itself, like you said. Give it a few years.
Happy Holidays.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on December 24, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Meanwhile image quality isn’t as good as real IMAX film projection. I mean really, who would want to spend $15 on a screen which is nothing more than a 1.85: 1 screen with digital projection?

Pretty soon, IMAX will end up phasing themselves out with this move. Mark my words.

moviebuff82 on December 24, 2008 at 8:55 am

digital imax saves time and money compared with regular imax but costs more than a dlp installation.

mhvbear
mhvbear on December 24, 2008 at 8:28 am

I don’t get the excitement over the Digital IMAX. I went to the one at the AMC Empire 25 and it is a pale imitation if the IMAX at Lincoln Square. Nothing can compare to an 8 story screen…. and 70 mm.

markp
markp on December 24, 2008 at 6:33 am

If they start construction on the first monday in January, the 5th, then it is possible to have the IMAX going on the 23rd. When I was involved with the one in White Plains N.Y., it took a little over 3 weeks, and that was only because of the problem of how to get the MPX projector, which was HUGE, up 5 stories. The screen and speaker conversions take about a week, and another week to integrate all the existing and new projection systems together.
I still would rather see them get 15/70 IMAX, but I know the whole world is ga-ga over this digital crap, so be it. Enjoy your new IMAX when you get it.

moviebuff82 on December 24, 2008 at 4:08 am

No construction on the imax theater yet the last time I was at the theater. I was checking the showtimes on Google, and advance tickets are available for two Met showings in HD. I’m not an opera fan, but for those who like it, it’s nice that they’re showing this popular film series for those who can’t make it to the city to see a sold-out show; this series is also held in Parsippany. The date is still on track for the IMAX theater to open with the re-release of The Dark Knight. Watching the film again on Blu-Ray can’t make up for seeing it again on a giant screen just in time for Oscar nominations.

moviebuff82 on December 20, 2008 at 3:39 pm

I just went to this theater for a 4:50 showing of “The Day The Earth Stood Still”, the 2008 version of the 1951 sci-fi classic that I grew up with when I first saw it on VHS from a local library and saw it again on Monsters HD in a restored version. This version is way different than the original. The presentation was good, very few splices, and the crowd behaved well. Getting there was a chore, as there was traffic around the mall and some of the parking space wasn’t plowed well due to all that extra snow. The next movie I’m planning on seeing is Benjamin Button, and that Wrestler movie looks interesting since I used to like pro wrestling and liked Mickey Rourke in Sin City. Hopefully they’ll get some good art-house product sooner than later since most of the stuff playing here are remakes, kids stuff that no one hears of, and sequels that suck.

JJD
JJD on December 15, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Justin, Have you noticed the start of any construction on the IMAX system? We are now a little over 5 weeks away from the scheduled installation. I just don’t see how they could meet the January 23rd date, especially if it means removing a wall, installing a screen, rearranging the projection booth and seating, training on the new system, etc., but I hope I’m wrong. Keep us posted. You are our best source since you’re there a lot. Thanks.

moviebuff82 on December 15, 2008 at 12:43 pm

star trek is also coming out in imax, too.

moviebuff82 on December 7, 2008 at 10:42 am

Advance tickets are now on sale not only for The Day The Earth Stood Still, but Seven Pounds (starring Will Smith in his fourth movie that played at this theater that started with Pursuit of Happyness, then I Am Legend and Hancock), and Yes Man, starring Jim Carrey in his third movie that will play at this theater following The Number 23 and Horton, which had a successful run at this theater for a long period before the summertime. Out of all those movies playing at this theater, the new Keanu Reeves movie will do exceptionally well, even though the IMAX system won’t be ready until the day after oscar nominations are announced.

moviebuff82 on December 5, 2008 at 1:30 pm

looks like batman is coming back to rockaway…the dark knight returns on the same day that the imax arrives. the dvd came out early at the cvs where i work in florham park.

moviebuff82 on December 2, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Upcoming releases at this theater are two….Nobel Son, an independent movie about a family whose father wins the Nobel Prize (great reviews), and Punisher: War Zone, a sequel to the first Punisher movie that doesn’t have the first movie’s star and will likely bomb against this past weekend’s number one movie, Four Xmases.

moviebuff82 on December 2, 2008 at 10:03 am

Bad news, Dark Knight fans. According to Superherohype.com, The Dark Knight won’t return to IMAX theaters both old and new next month. I guess the next IMAX movie to play here will be “The Day the Earth Stood Still” a month and 11 days after it’s out next week. At least I’ll see the IMAX scenes on BluRay when I get it for christmas.

moviebuff82 on November 30, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Outside the theater, someone forgot to remove the poster for Pride and Glory, as that movie is no longer playing at this theater. All the other posters are up to date.

moviebuff82 on November 30, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Just went to see 007 again yesterday afternoon at a 1:10 showing, and the presentation was much improved from the last time I went. Sound was coming from all directions and the projection was top-notch. Theater was busy too. I sat in the very top of the auditorium (theater #11) as opposed to the seating right by the railing, so I can get a clearer view.

moviebuff82 on November 26, 2008 at 10:42 am

The only digital stuff that AMC shows at this theater is the preshow and special feature content provided by National Cinemedia, such as the Met and NCM Fathom series. How are those faring alongside the regular movies that play at this theater? Once IMAX kicks in, attendance will skyrocket and lines will be long.

moviebuff82 on November 24, 2008 at 9:47 am

I know. Forgot to mention that too. This also applies to other theaters owned by AMC and some of these have the date of TBD, since other AMC theaters might get it soon. It all depends on the survival of IMAX, since unlike AMC is publicly traded here in America and Canada, and is one of the worst performing stocks I’ve seen. Hopefully the stock will rise based on continued strength on IMAX versions of popular movies, as was the case with The Dark Knight.

JJD
JJD on November 24, 2008 at 3:45 am

Thanks, but I failed to mention that I have already been checking AMC’s website. That’s where I got the date of January 23rd. There’s an asterisk next to it which indicates it could change. I thought you might have had some connection at the theater since you are there a lot. Hey, we can only hope.

moviebuff82 on November 23, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Just go to AMC’s website and click on IMAX.

JJD
JJD on November 23, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Justin, While at the theater yesterday I asked two employees if the IMAX was on schedule for January 23rd. They didn’t know (perhaps they were not at liberty to say). One of them pointed to two auditoriums and said if it were to be installed they would probably remove the wall between them. WE’RE TWO MONTHS AWAY AND THE WALL AIN’T EVEN DOWN YET!!! I then asked how one screen would be able to handle all the 3D movies coming out (almost two dozen next year and dozens beyond that; check out the MarketSaw Blogspot for the list.) I also asked if they would be supplementing the IMAX with some REALD digital 3D. The answer was “there might not be enough money”. I came away discouraged that 3D was probably not in Rockaway’s future any time soon. If you have a credible source, can you share what you know and offer us some hope? Thanks.

moviebuff82 on November 22, 2008 at 8:14 am

On the wikipedia page for AMC Theaters, you can see an image of this theater’s sister, the former Loews in Alderwood. The only difference is that the Alderwood has a staircase going up to the lobby and several antennas around the theater, similar to the Garden State 16 theater in Paramus. I was riding with my Dad around the Mall looking for a bite to eat, and the place was packed. Ever since the theater opened more than two years ago, mall attendance, traffic, and the population have increased. Maybe AMC should open a second-run house where Linens n'Things will go out of business!!!

moviebuff82 on November 20, 2008 at 9:48 am

Tomorrow’s new releases should appeal to mostly the teens and families that always pack this theater during the weekend. Bolt (in 2-D) and Twilight. Bolt is getting good reviews, but Twilight isn’t. I’m skipping both and saving my money for Australia, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Benjamin Button, and The Spirit. And three days from now will be two months until IMAX comes to Rockaway, upon which a re-release of The Dark Knight might play although I’m getting the Blu-Ray for Christmas (which has those IMAX scenes). As for Disney and IMAX, the Mouse House inked a deal with them to make more of its movies ready for the IMAX screen, which was last seen in Fantasia 2000.