AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,301 - 1,325 of 1,508 comments

moviebuff82 on September 2, 2008 at 5:25 pm

starting this weekend, Mamma Mia will be shown with on-screen lyrics that the audience can sing to, similiar to what Sing a Long Sound of Music did a few years ago. Other new releases include Bottle Shock, Bangkok Dangerous, among notable releases. Someday AMC needs to catch up on what Clearview is doing and that is digital projection for regular movies rather than NCM Fathom stuff. At least the new IMAX system will be ready for next year, when one of its screens will be turned into a mini-IMAX for the next summer season.

moviebuff82 on August 24, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Sorry for the unclickable link….here it is again…
BTW, I went to see “Pineapple Express” with my aunt in theater #2. Sound was great and projection was decent, quite a few people during a 11:35 showing. While at the box office, the cashier gave me a free ticket for that movie while my aunt paid for her own ticket. This is because I used my moviewatcher card. The only movie playing here that’s on more than one screen is Tropic Thunder. Nothing much has changed since I last visited here except that they now sell UNO pizza here finally!!!

moviebuff82 on August 21, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Here’s a video showing some guys doing the rick roll outside the theater…http://tinyurl.com/5nqm64

moviebuff82 on August 16, 2008 at 8:24 pm

The recent delay of the new Harry Potter movie could mean good news for the Rockaway AMC theater, as the IMAX screen will open just in time for a few major releases, such as Transformers 2, Night at the Museum 2, but not Watchmen. With the Dark Knight still making moolah, may a re-release come soon? I doubt it, with the increased revenue from dvd and blu-ray sales. BTW, has anything improved at the AMC in Rockaway besides the NCM Fathom thing?

moviebuff82 on August 11, 2008 at 2:43 pm

FYI, the digital projection used for the NCM Fathom is the same equipment used for the digital preshow, which looks blurrier than what Screenvision does for Cablevision’s Clearview chain. Among the summer movies that will be shown on the new IMAX screen in Rockaway will be the next Transformers movie, which promises more robots, explosions, and romance. BTW, Dark Knight is still playing on four screens and will still play for a month or two and become the longest running movie in this theater before hitting the DVD store just in time for the holidays.

moviebuff82 on August 8, 2008 at 4:01 pm

it will be a domed screen and will show 3d and regular imax movies.

moviebuff82 on July 29, 2008 at 4:03 pm

6/30/2009 is when the imax system comes out…i cant wait!

moviebuff82 on July 26, 2008 at 11:46 am

I was surfing Google News for this theater, and here’s an interesting article from a local moviegoer complaining about the seats not big enough for his big body…

moviebuff82 on July 19, 2008 at 7:58 pm

on the day hancock opened, 800 dollars of cash were stolen from cash registers at the theater. this info i read from a local website. a few days ago, there was a jewelry robbery at the mall. looks like a job for batman, as his new movie is selling out. all eight midnight showings were sold out! thankfully, i went to mansfield to c dark knight in dlp cause it was closer to my dads house and not sold out.

moviebuff82 on July 15, 2008 at 4:07 pm

speaking of batman, it will play on four screens tomorrow at midnight. At least one of the shows is sold out. Starting tonight, advance ticketing for the movie will expand more showtimes; I guess the DLP will be used after the Beck ‘08 Live show for one of the auditoriums, as the NCM Fathom events come to this theater in two days. The Dark Knight will rule this theater this weekend, and with the movie being sold out, there are a couple of other movie choices for audiences to see, even though Mamma Mia and Space Chimps are getting so-so to terrible reviews. Next week should see the arrival of X-Files 2 (the second time this movie has been in town) and Step Brothers, which looks dumb. AFter batman, next movie I’m checking out is the next mummy movie. The last mummy movie was shown at the Rockaway 6, and I saw a trailer for Mummy 2. Too bad I saw it at what would become another AMC theater, Clifton Commons.

moviebuff82 on July 11, 2008 at 8:42 pm

went tonight to a screening of Hellboy 2 in one of the two main large auditoriums. Very good presentation, some minor splicing and framing issues, but great sound. Can’t wait to see the new batman movie next week.

markp
markp on July 9, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Hello Justin. I’m curious of your age, only because its funny when you speak of movies having a long run, you think 2 months is long. When I first got into the business 30 some years ago, 6 to 8 months was a long time, and when my father, God rest his soul started in the late 30’s, movies would run for over a year sometimes. Its funny how each generation has its particulars. I’m not crazy about the whole batman thing, but you enjoy. For me, its more Wall*E and things of that nature.

moviebuff82 on July 9, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Also playing this weekend are two surefire hits, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, and Journey to the Center of the Earth, which won’t be shown in 3D. Comic book movies tend to do well at the box office, and next weekend won’t be no exception. Last time I checked, there were still showtimes for the new batman movie, but get them quick before they sell out!!! I predict that the IMAX version will do great, followed by 35mm and DLP versions of the film. I predict that this movie will have a long shelf life at this theater for many months to come….only Vantage Point, Horton, and Iron Man were popular for two months for each movie

moviebuff82 on July 5, 2008 at 1:57 pm

sorry for the double post that I made on Jun 29. It was just a glitch. Anyways, Hancock is playing on a lot of screens due to its short running time and Will Smith. He’s been in two other movies at this theater, I Am Legend and The Pursuit of Happyness, both of which did well at this theater. Coming up next weekend Hellboy will make his debut in Rockaway while Eddie Murphy returns to the theater with a bomb, Meet Dave. The week after both films come out should be big business for Rockaway, as NCM Fathom brings its film series to AMC as well as the new Batman movie.

moviebuff82 on June 30, 2008 at 3:54 pm

one other thing about this theater…they don’t serve coffee like that other 16-plex I used to go to…and that was Clifton Commons!!! I wonder if they still serve coffee there after AMC bought it from General Cinema.

moviebuff82 on June 29, 2008 at 6:03 pm

just came after a 2:10 showing of Wanted, and it was without some faults. The only fault was that the guy printed the wrong showtime, which already started!!! Must be a young worker working behind the office, as the theater was packed with Wall*E fans waiting to see that movie, which will be #1. Don’t forget that WarGames is coming back to Rockaway after it first came out at the old Rockaway theater back in the 1980’s. The sound was kicking and the projection was good, some splices during the film that didn’t detract from the presentation. Parking was almost full due to the bad weather. Since the entrance to the theater was packed, me and my family exited elsewhere.

moviebuff82 on June 29, 2008 at 6:03 pm

moviebuff82 on June 27, 2008 at 5:05 pm

just checked out the advance tickets for the rockaway and for the first time this theater will host an NCM event. Glenn Beck, a conservative TV host best known for his short lived tv show on Headline News, will host Beck ‘08 (no relation to the singer) on the same day as the Dark Knight movie. It will be projected using the same format as the digital preshow. As for that other movie, it won’t be shown in IMAX as originally planned; looks like I have to head to Palisades Center or Lincoln Square to watch the Dark Knight the way it’s supposed to be seen.

moviebuff82 on June 22, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Went with my aunt to see what will probably be Adam Sandler’s lowpoint of his career…that Zohan movie. It was playing in theater 12, still with the right front channel out but all four channels plus the subwoofer were working good. The projection was a bit blurry at the beginning with “The Rocker” trailer, but by the next trailer, it was a bit sharper. Not only that, but some of the titles on screen emited some glows around the letters. Also, the picture was somewhat cut off by misplaced framing, mostly to the left of the screen as AMC prefers showing it movies in a ratio simliar to HD (1.78 as opposed to 1.85) for matte films.

moviebuff82 on June 22, 2008 at 2:03 pm

moviebuff82 on June 17, 2008 at 8:40 pm

That was in 2002, the same year that the old Rockaway theater was closed.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on June 17, 2008 at 8:05 pm

The policy of bringing in outside food changed at the same time AMC bought General Cinema from US Bankruptcy Court.

tcjarvik
tcjarvik on June 17, 2008 at 7:08 pm

AMC Theatres has a policy of letting people bring in outside food.

moviebuff82 on June 16, 2008 at 4:21 pm

some people think the movie will have less talk than other pixar movies, with the only speech being the robot’s bloops and bleeps. But I think it will do good business as other pixar movies have done in the past. This is the second Pixar movie to be played at the Rockaway theater but not the first time in town. Cars played at this theater during a free preview, and Monsters Inc was the last pixar movie at the old theater before it closed shop. Pixar movies are supposed to be seen in DLP, since its computer animated. I’m not sure if Rockaway will show Wall*E in DLP or just plain 35mm.