AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,376 - 1,400 of 1,500 comments

moviebuff82 on March 2, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Just went to see Juno with my aunt at one of the smaller screens that will be ready for an IMAX makeover come July of this year, and I enjoyed the movie. There were two things….the right channel was out while the other channels worked. Second, during one of the reel changeovers, the volume was lowered probably due to the print being used for a long time and that it reverted to Dolby SR rather than Dolby Digital 5.1. It seems when AMC built the theater, the acoustics are so-so and you could hear booms right across the next auditorium. On a brighter note, one of the upcoming movie posters showcase a new movie in 3D called Journey to the Center of the Earth. Will it play in 3D in Rockaway? Only time will tell, as the first IMAX digital movie to be shown there will be The Dark Knight. FYI, the new Indiana Jones will not be shown in digital, just plain old 35mm. I also saw a poster for the upcoming Met HD series, which hasn’t been playing in Rockaway at all…hopefully soon those NCM Fathom events will come to Rockaway. As for food, I tried some hot dogs with the soda, and the dogs were pretty well cooked and served fast as opposed to the popcorn, which sells better than the other snacks. And due to the recent snowstorm, the barriers between the parking lots are like mountains of ice, leaving people like me to walk carefully towards the theater entrance.

moviebuff82 on February 24, 2008 at 10:58 am

on a brighter note, the AMC in Rockaway is selling newer snacks other than popcorn, such as frooti tooties for the kiddies and Nestle Ice Cream, in order to make more profit. Remember, concession sales are number 1 at this theater in line with ticket sales. Maybe in the near future they will sell the pizza that older theaters have!!!

moviebuff82 on February 24, 2008 at 10:52 am

went to see “Spiderwick” in theater #11, very well behaved crowd. One issue that I should mention is that there are a bunch of imperfections on the projection screen, not the film. This makes watching bright scenes annoying, but darker scenes are ok. The sound system was pretty good. The only splice occured near the end of the film, but it didn’t distract the sound system. I sat one row above the front-row seating for a better view, and the film projection was very sharp and there was no masking issues. Too bad AMC won’t have IMAX just in time for Kung Fu Panda. BTW, how’s the installation going on the new IMAX digital? I can’t wait to see it!!!

moviebuff82 on February 23, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Today was the first time an oscar movie marathon has played in an AMC in Rockaway. What was the experience like…I couldn’t come due to the bad weather, but was it crowded, and how was presentation and service? Let me know tomorrow.

moviebuff82 on February 17, 2008 at 7:01 am

How long is the lease at this theatre? The originals had like 20 year leases that were not extended. And I read a report that says AMC’s profit was down a bit in the 4Q from the 3rd quarter as ticket prices went up. This weekend’s box office looks a bit dissapointing. Good thing AMC still uses the A.M. Cinema program in Rockaway providing $6 showings rather than Parsippany, which charges the second highest matinee pricing in the area!

moviebuff82 on February 10, 2008 at 11:13 am

Check this link out…
Can’t wait till July of 08 and see the new Batman there…very sad to see Heath Ledger’s last movie there. The last movie with Mr. Ledger that played in the old Rockaway was “A Knight’s Tale”.

moviebuff82 on February 4, 2008 at 12:26 pm

As shocking as the Giants beating up of the Pats in the super bowl, the number one movie in America this past weekend is not playing at this theater. Why? Simple. 3D. “Hanna Montana & Miley Cirus: The Best of Both Worlds Concert” in Disney Digital 3D is playing at Clearview Parsippany, AMC’s current competition. The closest AMC theater playing it is in Clifton Commons. At least AMC will soon install Imax digital 3d just in time for summer. I’m sure a lot of teenyboppers in Rockaway are dissapointed but have to find a different theater to go to that has digital 3d but lacks stadium seating.

moviebuff82 on January 29, 2008 at 11:30 am

Check this link out…get tickets for all five oscar nominated films before they sell out!!!
Last year, the AMC Oscar marathon didn’t play at here, but more than a year later, it’s finally here. Now I can finally see “There Will Be Blood” without having to drive all the way to parsippany.

tcjarvik
tcjarvik on January 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm

All the theaters that are serving the new pizzas are former Loews, Magic Johnson, or General Cinema locations which still have the equipment leftover from when they used to serve pizzas years ago. None of the AMC built theaters have the capacity to bake pizzas.

tcjarvik
tcjarvik on January 25, 2008 at 6:30 pm

The pizzas look great! I wish they would have that at a theater near me. I did see the same brand of pizza today at the supermarket in the deli section and they were not the frozen kind. They also had deep dish versions with tons of meat and cheese.

moviebuff82 on January 24, 2008 at 11:50 am

Check this link out…too bad this location isn’t getting it…

movieguy
movieguy on January 19, 2008 at 7:00 am

Jason you SHOULD go to the LAFAYETTE Theatre in Sufferen! On Fri and Sat night they play the organ before the ISt show of the evening.

The staff is Friendly the popcorn fresh and hot.It is truly a wonderful experience going there!

IT is worth the trip from where you live!

John Fink
John Fink on January 19, 2008 at 5:40 am

The golden age of movie going has been over for a long long time – the ending was signaled long before AMC Rockaway was on the drawing board, just look at the original AMC Rockaway shoeboxes designed not to be too distinctive so that they can be easily converted to retail. Unfortunately we don’t have many chains around that are doing things differently like the excellent The Bridge in Philly.

As for digital I-Max, Justin you’ve driven the point home about digital – and my guess is this site won’t see a non-IMax 4K digital projector until the collation lead of AMC, Regal and Cinemark, headed by former Loews chairman Travis Reid can figure out the financing terms for the new equipment (which from what I heard involves taking out a loan backed by the future savings to the studios). The last few AMC sites to open have been all digital – not a good thing – why would you want film projection to die? Early adopters that have gone all or nearly all digital (Carmike, Rave, and a few smaller chains) have opted to go 2K verses 4K – and 2K looks artificial, like watching an HD TV, I don’t think its particularly a good thing and there are some filmmakers I wouldn’t like to see in digital projection (Guy Madden comes to mind first).

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on January 18, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Well, even though you guys traditionally write novels on here, what would it take to get Vegas entrepreneurs to build an old fashioned movie palace? These days, it would cost 5 times as much as it did then, so that’s not going to happen. But what would be cool would be a movie palace replica in fiberglass and other cheap materials, resembling a movie palace.

moviebuff82 on January 18, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Just went to see “Cloverfield”, at 4:45…the film reels started 2 minutes late following the looped AMC moviewatcher ending; some girl wearing a biker helmet wanted to exchange the popcorn for some candy and I said no, which is a good thing since this theater is usually packed with nobodies and somewhat rowdy teens. The movie was ok but the sound was earth-shakingly good. After the movie was over, me and my dad went over to Fatburger and used the ticket stub for 10% off of a meal, which was a good thing since the Panera right next to it was packed. The only downside? Too much previews before a short movie. I’m amazed at how many indie films are playing at this theater…now only if the new IMAX digital screen will increase attendance!!!

JasonS
JasonS on January 18, 2008 at 3:53 pm

(Sorry about the break, but I’m afraid that I’ll exceed the character limit)

Even before that experience, I saw Sweeney Todd (a wonderful movie) at the wonderful Ziegfeld in New York. There was only one screen, but so much space (about 1100 seats!). In the “shoebox” theatre, on the other hand, I hated how the space was intentionally limited just to get another screen in the building. This is an example of an attempt by the AMC corporation to sacrifice quality and space for $$$. I mean, what’s the purpose of such a small theatre just for the sake of an extra screen? Add to that the unneccessary commercials (previews are fine) and overpriced refreshments, and that’s why I hate the multiplexes in general (even though in my area- Morris County, NJ- there’s no other choice).
Believe it or not, I am in high school, and I am of the multiplex-going generation. However, after reading the various comments on small-town theaters (I was curious), I happened to overanalyze my thoughts on movie theatres (I like to analyze a lot). I started to agree, and have agreed ever since, that the local theaters, when not subdivided into smaller cinemas, provide the incentive for MANY PEOPLE to see the movie comfortably, as a COMMUNITY. If you want to add another screen, that’s fine, but don’t subdivide a big screen for that reason! I would just build a big one-screen theater, and if another was necessary, I would build another one close to it (if not directly next door).There, the focus would be QUALITY and SERVICE, not money and greed. (That’s why I want, one day, to go to the Lafayette- that may be the only place left like that)
Say, why are the movie slumps occuring? Because MONEY is the incentive for moviemaking, not originality or talent, and the operations of the multiplexes (in general) are based upon MONEY, not SERVICE. This is the end of the Golden Age of moviegoing…

JasonS
JasonS on January 18, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I remember going to this theatre a couple of weeks ago and went through one of the worst movie experiences I’ve experienced. It wasn’t the great movie (I Am Legend) or the comfortable seats. It wasn’t the concept of stadium seating, which is a good concept. It was the amount of space in the “shoebox” theatres.
That day, I went with a friend to see the movie. As I walked down the corridor towards Theater 4, I noticed the number of seats on the walls. Theatres #1 and 8 had about 360, and Theatres #2 and 7 had about 250 (I don’t remember exactly what it was). However, Theatres 3 and 4 had 146 seats, and 5 and 6 had 123.
The tickets said that the movie was in Theater 4. My friend and I walked in ten minutes before the show started, and the movie was out for a couple of weeks already, yet the place was PACKED. We looked at the stadium seats- no room for two. We were forced to look at the front row (which I hate)– no room for two. We literally had to SPLIT UP to find seats. Yes, I had to sit next to a complete stranger. It could have been worse, for the person was rather nice instead of a complete asshole, but it was still disappointing that I couldn’t sit with my friend.

moviebuff82 on January 11, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Checking the recent movie listings, AMC didn’t have advance tickets for Cloverfield; only Clearview has the advantage. Too bad they won’t show the u23d and hanna montana movies….this theater will get a different kind of digital system in the form of an HD version of Imax which will increase business at this theater, which is doing quite well. BTW, when will the IMAX equipment be installed? I can’t wait, probably have to save my AMC gift cards for those flicks!!! I hope 2 see the new batman in that format.

moviebuff82 on December 31, 2007 at 4:25 am

just went to see golden compass in one of the small screens, number 5, this past saturday at 1:30 and during the film’s darker scenes the light from the projection room appeared on the right of the screen. i sat in a seat near the front and the picture was ok.

prez1989
prez1989 on December 8, 2007 at 11:04 am

it will eaither be theyre biggest or on of the smallest like theater 4,5,12,or 13.

moviebuff82 on December 7, 2007 at 7:11 pm

my bad. The system which will be installed at this theater by around summer 2008 will be a new version of the Imax 3-D system that eliminates the need for bulky film, hence it will be digital and will charge $2-4 more per ticket. BTW, which of the 16 screens will be retrofitted for the IMAX 3-D, or will it be an additional screen? Only time will tell.

moviebuff82 on December 7, 2007 at 12:46 pm

This just in….Looks like the AMC in Rockaway will have IMAX!!!
I’ll also post this as a news item. IMAX will be a much welcome addition to this theater and will increase traffic and money. IMAX tickets are more expensive than digital 3-D and 35mm combined. It’ll be nice to see an IMAX movie in Rockaway rather than drive all the way to manhattan or west nyack.

prez1989
prez1989 on December 6, 2007 at 4:58 pm

well it looks like loews because it was originally going to be one thats why if you look it has theyre signiture spotlight designs on the floors and walls outside and inside.

tcjarvik
tcjarvik on December 5, 2007 at 7:15 pm

http://maps.live.com shows the AMC Rockaway when it was under construction and almost completed.

John is right. AMC Rockaway looks almost identical to Loews Alderwood at 18421 Alderwood Mall Pky, Lynnwood, WA 98037. The Bird’s Eye View shows the theater and you can spin around and see from it from 4 different views. It’s like virtual reality.