AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,451 - 1,475 of 1,505 comments

moviebuff82 on June 20, 2007 at 7:59 pm

this is a good thing…kudos to AMC for bringing the movies back to rockaway.

prez1989
prez1989 on June 20, 2007 at 7:43 pm

out of the summer block busters so far in my opinion was so far s3. to be honest though we have had so many sales period for all of our movies i couldnt be positive on what sold the most. i can however tell you that we as of june 16th are the number 2 theater out of all amc theaters that have 16 screens(38 theaters) so being the 2nd best isnt to bad and were number 10 out of all amc theaters in the country. the number one is obviously the one in times square. hope that makes your next visit the best possable out of hime entertainment experiance. if you have anymore quistions feel free to post them in reply to my posts and i will gladly answer them.

moviebuff82 on June 13, 2007 at 6:32 am

thanks for the info! Out of all the summer movies, which movie did extremely well so far at this theater?

prez1989
prez1989 on June 12, 2007 at 11:21 pm

I work at the theater and WE ARE NOT GETTING DLP ANY TIME SOON. they are to expensive to have for all 16 theaters because we need to have the same equipment accross the whole theater. when we may and I say MAY get them I will post about it. and we wont be getting them untill the theater has been open for atleast a year and a half.

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on June 12, 2007 at 8:12 pm

I’ve written this it seems many times. Justin, try calling management. If you will waste bandwidth, I will too.

moviebuff82 on June 10, 2007 at 10:32 pm

nice photo; btw, anything new coming to the rockaway theater since opening late last year? It’s still a great place to see a movie, yet the management is a bit slow and the projection is not as sharp as a loews or a clearview theater.

teecee
teecee on June 10, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Construction photo here:

moviebuff82 on May 22, 2007 at 2:02 pm

When the mall gets renovated later this year just in time for next summer of ‘08, it won’t affect the movie theater. The mall, unlike the theater, is 30 years old, and traffic might get bad around the area so that parking will spill over into other areas, such as those near stores that are out of the mall, such as the convenience center and the multiplex. This traffic nightmare would mirror that of what would come on Friday, when AMC’s third 16-plex in north jersey, The Garden State 16, opens in Paramus near the Garden State Plaza. It will be like Rockaway but will be more heavily traveled than that area since it’s more suburban and near New York.

moviebuff82 on May 19, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Just saw Spidey 3 in Rockaway two weeks after it opened, and I was not disappointed. Compared with the previous two, which I saw at Clearview’s Mansfield theater, the presentation was very top notch, with a few scratches in the picture, but the focus was very sharp and the sound was very loud, rumbling, and great. I saw it in theater #2, right next to Shrek 3. Before the show began, I took a look in the large theater (#8) and boy, the screen is very huge it touches the floor!!! Too bad they can’t show digital just yet. Speaking of that, there was no digital pre-show as it was the first showing of the movie (10:15) and the curtains opened up and closed from matte screen to scope. And the box office was a bit inexperienced. I still enjoyed the movie.

moviebuff82 on May 2, 2007 at 12:41 pm

According to movietickets.com, Spider-Man 3 will be playing on five screens (including one with open captions); hopefully they are on the two big and two second biggest screens in the complex. As for ticket sales, I noticed that the shows haven’t been sold out as of today. That will change come opening weekend, when Spider-Man returns to Rockaway after five years. The only other new movie playing there, Lucky You, is only playing on one screen and will bomb at the box office despite having Drew Barrymore in her second movie of the year (her last film, “Music and Lyrics”, did so-so at the theater and will find new life on DVD). So far, two Drew Barrymore movies have been playing at this theater; the last movie she was in that played in Rockaway was “Riding in Cars With Boys”.

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on April 17, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Why do you always ask questions to no one on here? You seem to be the only one who posts comments on this page. When I see you post a comment, there’s usually a question mark and then an apology to me. CALL THE THEATRE AND ASK THEM!

moviebuff82 on April 17, 2007 at 1:24 pm

When Spiderman 3 opens in Rockaway, it will mark the webslinger’s return to Rockaway since the first one came out at the Outer Six during the theater’s last year. That movie was the last summer blockbuster that the theater ran before closing its doors in late 2002 to make room for a big Best Buy. As for this coming weekend, looks like there won’t be any movies playing on multiple screens, with “Grindhouse” out of the picture. Looks like the theater will do poorly this weekend and the weekend after next before all the tickets for Spiderman get sold out. By the way, how many screens will this film be played on? The last movie to play on many screens there was “300”, which was a great movie to enjoy there. Hopefully it will be digital.

moviebuff82 on April 14, 2007 at 9:46 pm

Just went to see “Grindhouse” in theater #15, and I was pleased with the presentation. Bass was good, projection was great, and the sound was good. Audience reaction was excellent. I went with my cousin, and he enjoyed the experience. Some of the audience during “Death Proof” booed at the fake missing reels, thinking that the theater cut stuff out of the film. The next movie I plan on going to see is “Spider-Man 3” (the first two I saw in Mansfield in Hackettstown). Hope they install digital projection by the time it opens or else I have to deal with plain old 35mm projection. As for digital projection, is Dirty Dancing going to play in Rockaway in May? It seems that the same system that AMC uses for it digital pre-show will be used to show that classic movie.

moviebuff82 on April 3, 2007 at 2:37 am

Hopefully AMC can get their act together when the summer movie season begins.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on April 2, 2007 at 9:24 pm

Cinema 12 in Parsippany is down almost 40% and Cinema 10 in Succasunna is down almost 25% since Rockaway opened.

John Fink
John Fink on April 2, 2007 at 6:32 pm

Is AMC Rockaway successful? It takes about a year for a theater to stablize, but I think AMC is making a huge mistake by not building upscale complexes the way National Amusements is, they aren’t thinking of the big picture. Yes, they permit you to bring in your own snacks, but if they had a bar/grill like Chatters or 12 Lounge I might be apt to hang out there before the show. The area in general has a ways to go in terms of growing into an entertainment district, there needs to be more dinning options in the area (if you don’t like Fat Burger, Sizzler, Panera Bread or the Food Court you’re in trouble). Therefore I don’t think its later shows do all that well (I saw Shooter on Saturday night at 9:55 and the theater was only about 20-30% full). If the theater isn’t doing well (and hell, it cost some 20-million to build) then why invest in Real D. Cinema 12 is still doing healthy business, as is Cinema 10 from what I see there. The area has a lot of shopping but lacks dinning, which will make people stay around longer, to see those late night shows. Clifton Commons, which got a Real D system has that and is growing that, and the theater is still very successful despite the fact its showing its age. AMC Rockaway 12 did very well with the Twilight Shows (which AMC ceased right after aquring General Cinema), but this new theater, with the second highest ticket price in the state (behind 10.25 at the much better Edgewater Multiplex) may not be performing up to expectations. This wouldn’t be the first time Loews did this, go read about Loews North Versailles. I doubt this place would close but I’ll tell you I was at the AMC Empire 25 the other night and forgot just how ahead of the curve AMC was in building cinemas. This theater may be newer but AMC’s original megaplex design had better seats, sound, and projection. Needless to say the AMC name will be tarnished by them aquring Loews. Travis Reid and company built third rate theaters, some in pooer shape than discount houses (ie: East Hanover and Wayne). This new Loews construction isn’t up to par with what AMC was doing ten years ago, and the projection is horrable and blurry. If you tell the staff this they don’t care. Loews and chains that are this poor in quality are the reason people are drawn to stay home. Its a shame AMC couldn’t see this and fix the problems here. I actually perfer Cinema 12 and Clifton to this place. Clearview has finally figured out going upscale, having good projection, popcorn and luxerious seats are a draw and they have rapidly turned their opperations around making them (shockingly) one of the best chains in the area.

moviebuff82 on April 2, 2007 at 6:15 pm

thanks for the reply; I would love to see future movies in the digital format at either Parsippany and Succasunna and experience some of them in 3d!!!

JJD
JJD on April 2, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Justin, you’re gonna love this. I just called the theater. After confirming that they were NOT showing “Meet The Robinsons” in digital 3D, I asked when Rockaway would get the system. The customer rep replied that they won’t be getting it. I said “ever?” and she replied yes. I said that was unfortunate since the 3D version of these upcoming movies is where the money is (and apparently what the people want.) It continues to baffle me that AMC could construct a brand new theater with the latest “this and that” and not install the digital 3D system from the getgo (or at least soon thereafter)…especially since AMC is one of the major chains that has contracted with Real D. I’m hoping they will have a change of heart as the market becomes flooded with all the upcoming 3D movies I’m reading about. Thanks to Clearview, we at least have Parsippany and Succasunna. Their auditoriums and screens aren’t as impressive as Rockaway’s but at least they have the technology. Saw “Meet the Robinsons” last friday and it definitely delivered the goods!!!

moviebuff82 on April 1, 2007 at 2:43 pm

It’s been nearly a month since I’ve been to the AMC (last movie I saw was the one mentioned before two posts ago)…so I finally went to see “300” with my dad in theater #7, located next to one of the two bigger screens, #8. Presentation was very good, with the occasional white line near the left of the wide screen as well as some minor splotches (not the red ones), given the fact that this film has played here for nearly a month. Sound was very good from nearly all channels, only the front right and center rear surround channel was out (left, center, and right and left surrounds as well as the subwoofer were active); it was the same issue when I saw the previous movie on that same screen. Hopefully AMC fixes this problem.

moviebuff82 on March 6, 2007 at 6:45 pm

When 300 opens this weekend, please post any info regarding the presentation of the film, which will look a bit different than those commercials advertising the film that were shown in HD. The film will play on three screens (probably the two big auditoriums and the third biggest) at the theater with normal 35mm projection and Dolby Digital EX surround sound with a running time of nearly 2 hours (not including the AMC Moviewatcher Network stuff as well as the trailers).

moviebuff82 on March 3, 2007 at 7:16 pm

went to see terabithia, decent presentation that was a bit out of focus and some channels in the surround sound were out of phase. any word on when digital projection is coming to this theater? i can’t hardly wait!

moviebuff82 on February 23, 2007 at 4:44 pm

Just went to see Pan’s Labyrinth in theater #5, and the film was awesome. No splices at all (save for the change to credits at the very end which is normal for all movies), the sound was terrific, and the picture was very good, with readable big subtitles. All in all, a nice experience in a rarely crowded show. When I left the theater, there was a short line since it was early evening and most people were at the mall rather than the 16-plex. I hope business rebounds after the Oscars are over and seeing if some movies that have been out of the theater are going to play there. I really want to see “The Queen” but that’s playing only in Parsippany (Clearview) and in AMC’s sister theater in East Hanover (no stadium seating, duh). So much for AMC Select in Rockaway.

moviebuff82 on February 19, 2007 at 2:10 pm

I agree with you. It’s been a few months since I’ve been to a Clearview theater, and I still have a Clearview gift card!!! Too bad AMC doesn’t have the classics program that Clearview is having with the Succasunna theater after it was a hit at the Ziegfeld theater. Nor it does have that local neighborhood feel that Clearview is always known for, as well as its popular Baby Matinees and Kids Summer Fest program. When it comes to movies in the New York metro area, Clearview is #1.

John Fink
John Fink on February 19, 2007 at 1:57 pm

The prints are blury because the lenses probably let too much light in – they claim to have HD lenses (everything these days is called HD because HD sounds cool, I guess). But I’m glad someone else noticed this, its a problem, so much so I really don’t go here as much as I would – that and the theaters aren’t as comfortable as they would have been if AMC built this from the ground up. But hopefully AMC won’t let this one because rundown like virtually every other Loews site they have (Loews started it) – East Hanover and Wayne these days look worce than a discount house, I can’t imagine what that crappy theater they own in Stroud Mall looks like now. Meanwhile Clearview, who I used to not be a big fan of has vastly improved the quality of their projection and the comfort of their theaters. They still aren’t at National Amusements-level but at least they’ve turned themselves around majorly.