TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 126 - 150 of 1,495 comments

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 8, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Star Wars premiere at Chinese ain’t gonna happen. Disney owns a movie theatre directly across the street.

Regarding sound: I did not notice any rattling behind the screen when I went on Saturday 10/5 at 7:45 PM. Sound presentation was excellent – not too much bass to overpower you but not too soft, either. It all sounded just right to me.

Maybe something happened w/the sound earlier in the day on Sunday that made them adjust.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lbGEI3pM8…this scene was pretty good. They filmed it near the chinese or a mock up of it…i hope star wars episode vii has the world premiere here…

RogerA
RogerA on October 8, 2013 at 12:29 pm

A friend went to see the five o'clock show on Sunday. He is a film student and went with a group. From what he said the volume was set much too low. Doesn’t anyone set the volume where it is suppose to be anymore. I know that AMC runs the fader in most of their theaters at 5 and that is one quarter of the level it should be set at.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on October 7, 2013 at 11:22 am

Went here on Saturday matinee to see Gravity. We got there at 15 minutes early and the curtains were closed with TCL Chinese Theatre logo in lights on the curtain, unlike last week. Also, there was no preshow…the curtains opened after the introduction of the movie and it went right to previews.

Another great presentation and this was almost sold out.

RogerA
RogerA on October 7, 2013 at 9:51 am

Things in the Chinese Theater do rattle with heavy base. It takes a lot of audio power to fill that theater and there are a lot of things to rattle.

KramSacul
KramSacul on October 7, 2013 at 3:17 am

Anyone else notice the rattling behind the screen during bass heavy scenes? I think a speaker is either blown or something is not secured. Needless to say it happened a lot during Gravity.

Still really impressed with the presentation. 3-D, picture, sound is really top notch not to mention the spacious seating. Yes, I wish they would mask the top and bottom for scope films but that’s a minor quibble since the blank space disappears into the darkness.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 6, 2013 at 12:42 am

Well, I’ve read that Lincoln Square is 97'x76', so the Chinese is almost the same width (97' vs 90'), but not nearly as tall (76' vs 46'). Doesn’t really matter with Gravity though, because Gravity is a constant 2.4:1, so both screens use up roughly the same real estate.

And yes, some LA theaters do still offer matinee discounts except they’re like $12 or $13 now. But Arclight doesn’t… no.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Hello From NYC-

i will be seeing Gravity tomorrow at the Loew’s Lincoln Square IMAX auditorium which has reserved seating. when i purchased my ticket and the screen comes up with the seating plan i noticed all the seats in the middle had been taken which was fine by me. i’m tall and have no idea what the leg room space is between seats. i chose an aisle seat on the right with no seat in front of it which is great since i have long legs. in terms of overall size if the Lincoln Square screen is a 10 what’s the Chinese screen?

also do theaters in L.A. still have the discount before 5p.m. they still did when i was last out in Spring 2004. all AMC theaters have a discount before 12p.m. on weekends so i got that discount plus a senior discount so the ticket cost $15.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 4, 2013 at 5:26 am

They’re leaving it unmasked (for now). I suspect they are trying to impress people with the screen size in these early days. It’s also the reason I think they have the curtain open before the show, because they closed it when it was over. There also was no pre-show, although we walked in about 2 minutes to showtime so maybe it was just over by then. I just think the game plan is to try and wow people upon first entering the theater. I know I was wowed. Yes, I’d like to see them start using the masking, but I’m willing to cut them some slack these first couple months. I honestly never even really noticed the lack of top/bottom masking. I can say for sure… I feel sorry for the people seeing Gravity at the Dome.

KramSacul
KramSacul on October 4, 2013 at 3:33 am

Are they masking the screen for 2.35:1, leaving it unmasked (yuck) or is Gravity taking up the whole screen? I guess I’ll find out tomorrow. They really need to get rid of the Screenvision preshow. Totally ruins the atmosphere and it looks like garbage.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 4, 2013 at 2:37 am

The IMAX renovation at the Chinese is GORGEOUS!! Definitely feels different, but was great to see the place so busy for Gravity. There was a line on Hollywood Blvd to buy tickets and for a moment, I was confuse as to why all those people were there (It’s been a while since she was this happening).

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm
  1. Reserved seating is in use by almost all of the major theaters in LA nowadays. I love it. A lot less hassle…no more standing in line for hours trying to get a good seat.

2. The ticket price here is $1 less than the ArcLight Cinerama Dome around the corner – which is not IMAX but is 3D capable. ArcLight members get $1 off their ticket which only equates to 50 cents less than Chinese.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Hello From NYC-

I read in one of the first comments posted after the theater re-opened that the people showing you to your seats were a bit overwhelmed by the crowd. what’s wrong with the good old fashioned first come first served policy? good old regular 2-D movies are rather expensive at least in Manhattan. 3-d films are are that much more expensive and IMAX 3-D films are additionally more expensive. so no matter how good the film might be are reserved seat IMAX 3-D films really worth what i’m guessing is a really expensive ticket?

dctrig
dctrig on October 3, 2013 at 7:52 am

The large ceiling light cover is new, as well as the lanterns against the sides of the auditorium. I never see a movie at Arclight when I can see “Gravity” at the Vista, $5.50 senior and $6.50 first show.

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Chinese 6 now has showtimes for Gravity as well. I wonder if this will be the new booking pattern: Chinese complex plays IMAX titles, Arclight rejects and move-overs. Arclight plays anything they want. Will be interesting to see what happens with the next Disney IMAX title.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Ditto for Chinese’s competitors around the corner…

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Both the Chinese and the Chinese 6 now have tickets on sale for Hunger Games: Catching Fire

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 1, 2013 at 10:14 am

Now that we know Chinese IMAX and Arclight Hollywood will be playing Gravity simultaneously the question are will the Chinese 6 be showing alternate showtimes as well (no listings yet on the website) and could the Chinese share future bookings with other theaters like the El Capitan (Episode VII playing across the street from each other!!).

The Seattle Cinerama books the same films as a Regal and AMC that are only blocks away.

Cliffs
Cliffs on September 30, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Well, Good luck to those willing to suffer the world’s worst 3D in the Dome when there is a superior alternative down the street.

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on September 30, 2013 at 11:19 pm

dctrig, As others have mentioned, the ceiling and other historical elements were not changed, just better lit. LEDs were used to replace some old incandescents, but there are still a lot of original lighting that is not being used. As RogerA mentioned, there were 3 different circuits of color in the ceiling, my understanding is that those are not in use at all. I hope to report later with more details on the lighting!

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on September 30, 2013 at 11:09 pm

BigJoe, In my opinion the 3D IMAX version of Wizard of Oz was wonderful! I have seen the movie countless times, including on the big screen twice. The 3D was subtle, not over-the-top “in your face”, but just accentuated the already beautiful photography. Small parts worked best for me, the Wicked Witch’s fingers, flowers in Munchkin Land, etc. The IMAX large screen conversion was much more impressive, I noticed things I have never seen before, camera moves that were amazing, subtleties of the actors faces, details of the production design, etc. The tornado scene was absolutely terrifying! For me it was VERY worth seeing in 3D IMAX!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm

So (ahem)…just found out that GRAVITY is also playing in the Cinerama Dome. Yup. The same movie at Chinese and the Dome. Absolutely insane.

Oh well…IMAX trumps Dome all day every day in my book!

Shout out to CT member BRADE48 for first posting the info.

RogerA
RogerA on September 28, 2013 at 8:27 am

It was a wise decision to use LED lights. At one time there were three different lighting circuits in the ceiling with three different colored bulbs. Changing the intensity of each color would produce a different effect. All those incandescent bulbs took a lot of electricity.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on September 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm

dctrig: as far as the ceiling goes, it looks different because they switched over to LED lighting; bringing out a lot of the detail which was not as visible under the previous incandescent lighting.

dctrig
dctrig on September 27, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Went to the 10PM “Metallica” show on Thursday night with about 700 other people. Because of the glass box office partition I could not see the seat numbers the clerk showed me on the tablet. I pointed to one but ended up once inside with a much farther back seat. I moved up one or two rows to an aisle seat on the right aisle. It turned out fine as far as a viewing experience. If I go again I will buy at the upstairs box office where I can confirm my selection with no glass barrier. I noticed the two Chinese prints in the mens room foyer have been replaced by black and white celebrity photos. The seats are better than before but the seat cushion is a bit hard. I hope someone posts side by side before and after photos of the main ceiling and other areas, showing the various changes. The restoration gets an A- from me.