Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 126 - 150 of 1,498 comments

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 6, 2012 at 6:14 am

Has anyone visited the site recently to check on actual “progress?” Spring 2015 is still nearly three years away. In the “old days,” large theatres were built from the ground up in from 90 days to six months.

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Tinseltoes et.al.

This is directly from ACE Theatrical Group’s Website:

About the Kings Theatre (In Redevelopment)

One of five “Wonder Theatres” opened by the Loew’s Corporation between 1929 and 1930, the Loew’s Kings Theatre was built as one of the most beautiful theatres in the nation, and was originally designed by architectural masters Rapp & Rapp. The Kings Theatre is located in the once thriving, yet still active shopping district along Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn. The Kings is currently in redevelopment, and is set to regain its status as Brooklyn’s largest indoor theatre more than three decades after shuttering and being seized by the City of New York. The Kings is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation designed to convert the spectacular, gilded movie palace into a state-of-the-art performing arts facility. The Kings will add vibrancy, quality of life, and an economic shot in the arm to New York’s largest borough.

Once completed, the Kings Theatre will operate as a self-sustaining performing arts facility, hosting a wide variety of cultural arts attractions including music, comedy, dance, theatrically staged extravaganzas, as well as a variety of community and private uses including banquets, seminars, product launches and weddings. The Kings will be added to the National Register of Historic Places and the $73 million renovation is expected to be completed in spring of 2015.

Now, let’s hope the Ziegfeld hangs in there!!

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 10, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Barbra Streisand announced yesterday she will play Brookyln, NY in October for one night only. It will not be the King’s of course, but I wonder if she will get a royal tour if it is safe to enter?

RickB
RickB on May 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

“Brooklyn to me means the Loew’s Kings, Erasmus, the yeshiva I went to, the Dodgers, Prospect Park, great Chinese food,” Ms. Streisand said… Naturally the Cinema Treasure comes first.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on May 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

More than two years have passed since this announcement, yet no one has reported seeing any real signs of progress. Are they just waiting for Mayor Bloomberg’s term in office to end before announcing that the deal fell through? nyc

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 3, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I think the economy will be the main issue. Ed Solero says it all. With the average seat price around $50+, and the fact the theater plans on being booked almost every night in the year, I ask anyone to inform me of any theater that is that heavily booked in the USA and makes a profit without any help from the city or state.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 3, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I agree with BobbyS, regarding comparison to the Barclays Center. That’s like comparing the need for the Beacon Theatre as a concert venue when you have Madison Square Garden. I certainly think there is a sufficient population in Brooklyn to support a viable venue at the Kings. In my mind, its going to be a question of what kind of entertainments will be booked into the theater. Seems to me that Brooklyn could benefit from their own Beacon Theatre type venue – where pop acts can make a stop along a tour (much as in the ‘70’s and early '80’s when it wasn’t uncommon to see a particular act stop in for a night or two at the Palladium in Manhattan followed by a couple of nights across the river at the Capitol in Passaic). My fears here would be how Cablevision would react to the competition and how the state of the economy in 2015 will influence how people spend whatever disposable cash they may have.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 3, 2012 at 8:12 am

The Barclays Center is really for sporting events and maybe mega concerts which the Kings could not handle. And it will bring people(paying customers)into Brookyln for further entertainment(Kings).But my concern is a lack of events to be booked and keep the theater filled most of the year(profitable). The beautiful Genesse Theater in Waukegan,IL cancelled its classic film series on Sat nights after trying it for a year. Very low turnout. Only “Gone With The Wind” & “Ben-Hur” drew more than 300 people. Both beautiful restored prints in 35mm.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 3, 2012 at 7:44 am

The soon-to-open Barclays Center is another reason for my pessimism about the future of Loew’s Kings. Add that to the Brooklyn Academy of Music and several Brooklyn College venues, and what sort of attractions will be left for the Kings? barclayscenter

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 29, 2012 at 8:50 am

Sorry….Brooklyn I meant. I must have Paradise on my brain. I do believe the Kings will be re-opened in 2015 and I trust you know more about Brookyln and its needs than I do. I am sure there were many studies done before a dime went into this project to make sure the audience was there to support this endeavor.

LuisV
LuisV on February 29, 2012 at 8:17 am

Brooklyn! Bobby! Brooklyn! :–) Yes, 300 days a year is rather aggressive, but it doesn’t concern me in the least. It’s a great goal and there is absolutely a need for a performing arts venue of this sort in Brooklyn. I have no doubt it will be a success.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 29, 2012 at 7:59 am

A lot of city money also went into the Oriental in Chicago along with the Cinema Odeon owner to restore the theater and present broadway shows. City didn’t realize there were two sets of books being kept and I believe he wound up in jail. All said, this project at Loews’s Kings will be looked at with a fine tooth comb for all checks & balances from the investor groups involved. The only thing I worry about is the statement made from ACE booking the theater 300+days a year. Does anyone anywhere know of any theatre that is that heavily booked a year. Not even Radio City! And we are talking Bronx, NY

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 29, 2012 at 7:03 am

Every time I think the topic is dead it comes back around, which suggests a real civic interest in getting this done. I also thought that the above-mentioned Oriental in Chicago would be eventually converted to offices, and I was positive the Bronx Paradise would be destroyed. There is a lot of red tape and planning involved in something of this magnitude. So it could sit for a long time with little evidence of progress. Of course, there is always the real possibility that a project like this can stall. But my hunch is that this one will be completed.

LuisV
LuisV on February 28, 2012 at 11:19 am

Thanks Matt, I wish people wouldn’t be so pessimistic. This restoration is a lot of work and a lot of it is in the preparation and research stage. It is not by accident that it is not scheduled for completion until 2014/2015. I have complete confidence that this theater will be fully restored, but full disclosure, I am an optimist at heart. I was also one of the few who kept saying that the city’s EDC would find a developer to take on this project when almost everyone else said it would never happen. Let’s remember that the Loews Jersey, Loews Paradise, Saint George, New Amsterdam and many others in New York were all viewed as lost causes but they are stunningly restored today. The Loews Kings will be joining that group! :–)

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on February 28, 2012 at 6:53 am

It’s not dead in the water. I’ve spoken with both ACE and the company who is doing the actual restoration work. There is a lot of preparations that have to be made before construction can begin. It’s going to take time to recreate some of the interior details that have been lost over the years.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 28, 2012 at 6:29 am

IMHO (and I hope that I’m wrong), this project is “dead in the water.” It never made economic sense from the start, and it may have been announced just to cast glory on parties involved, especially the Borough President.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I’m with you Tinseltoes….I hope this isn’t a “pie in the sky”. You would think by now more would have been started. A few workers showing up once in a while sounds like they are just washing it down. Maybe they are waiting for the financing to come through before they send in a team. And it will take quite a full-time team won’t it?

rlinders
rlinders on February 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I went today to Flatbush Avenue. No sign of workers, no indication of work. Went to the store next door and they told me that once in while some workers come, but not very often.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 27, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Has anyone actually seen evidence of work going on at the theatre? One should be able to tell that without an interior visit. Workers going in and out? Trucks removing debris? Noise? Dirt? I’m suspicious, since no photos at all have been posted.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 27, 2012 at 11:33 am

Your best bet is calling the office. When the Oriental was under construction in Chicago I arranged a tour through the management office. I had to sign a waiver and wear a hard hat. But they took me up on the scaffolding, and we walked across the auditorium right under the dome. It was pretty neat.

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on February 27, 2012 at 11:17 am

Have to agree—in the nineties, when the New Amsterdam was being renovated, I had the same desire and tried,but was denied by construction workers. Totally understandable. This is a “hardhat” area with serious safety concerns and risks.

I finally got my reward, three days after the place opened in 1997 for “King David,” later the “Lion King” and “Mary Poppins.”

So, you have something to look forward to!!!!!

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on February 27, 2012 at 7:19 am

I’d say that’s highly unlikely.

rlinders
rlinders on February 27, 2012 at 6:41 am

Thanks for the quick response. I have someone from Europe here who would love to see the inside and possibly take a picture. Do you think a construction worker would let us in just for a moment?

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on February 26, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Not at the moment. The Kings is currently being restored before reopening in early 2015.

rlinders
rlinders on February 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to go inside the theater?