Million Dollar Theatre

307 South Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90013

nickb
nickb on February 27, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Okay, well that proves me slightly wrong. Maybe it was just the ‘theater’ spelling on the marquee right behind the lamp post that I was focussed on…

nickb
nickb on February 27, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Actually, the spelling confusion runs much wider than just this page. (I’d argue it runs throughout the country: I can’t make out any consistent application of the alternative spellings.) Look, for instance, at the ‘coming soon’ announcement on the Million Dollar’s marquee, in hollywood90038’s third picture on Feb 18. I’ve also observed both spellings on the lightpost notes outside the theatre: I think it must be the headline, which just wraps around out of sight in hollywood90038’s fifth link above, that slips into the ‘theater’ spelling.

As memory serves, Grauman specifically called the Million Dollar a ‘theatre’ to bestow a supposed European sophistication upon it…

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on February 27, 2008 at 1:19 pm

If you look at the photo of the lightpost posted on Feb 26, 2008 at 7:27pm, you will see that the name of this theater is spelled “Million Dollar Theatre”. How long has this theater been listed here with the word “theatre” spelled incorrectly? I’m surprised that no theater historian has caught this spelling error. I’m glad that I wasn’t eating my lunch when I discovered this mistake. I could have become very ill. Could the word Theater be changed to “Theatre” in the names above?

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on February 26, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Most of these free-standing ticket booths look like Zeus’s helmet or something, but the Million Dollar Theater booth looks like Elvis’s haircut.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 28, 2007 at 10:35 am

If you look at the USC photo I posted on 11/11, it says “Edison Building”, as Joe pointed out above.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 28, 2007 at 2:51 am

That magazine is spreading some old misinformation about the Metropolitan Water District and William Mulholland again. The office building attached to the Million Dollar was called the Edison Building. Southern California Edison Company had its offices there. Mulholland was with the L.A. Department of Water and Power, not the MWD. LADWP’s offices were a block up Broadway near 2nd St. The MWD was not even in existence when the Million Dollar was built. MWD was incorporated in 1928 and later took over Edison’s old offices some time after SCE relocated to the new (the 3rd in L.A. of the name) Edison Building at 5th and Grand about 1931.

And to think that somebody got paid to write that article.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 11, 2007 at 8:49 pm

Ignore the incorrect caption at the top. I thought this USC archives photo was interesting if you note the “Homer Laughlin building” sign next to the MD. There was also a Homer Laughlin building and theater in Long Beach.

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on November 2, 2007 at 1:34 am

Well, it would make sense – Grauman sold off his interest in his Egyptian and Chinese Theatres in 1929………

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 1, 2007 at 9:12 am

Syncopation with Barbara Bennett and Bobby Watson was released in March of 1929.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 1, 2007 at 9:07 am

Here is a June 1929 ad. Perhaps Lazarus bought the theater from Sid Grauman?

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 30, 2007 at 8:51 am

Greased Lightning with Charles Ray and Wanda Hawley was released in April of 1919.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 30, 2007 at 8:49 am

Here is a May 1919 ad from the LA Times. Director Ince was later shot to death on Charlie Chaplin’s yacht, supposedly by William Hearst:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 22, 2007 at 7:22 pm

You can infer from the September 8 post by Mr. Alberto, as well as the Myspace presentation, that the MD will be showing Latin films only. That’s fine with me, as long as the theater is up and running. I missed out in 1997, which is the last time they ran first run films at the MD. I won’t miss out this time.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 22, 2007 at 6:43 pm

This is a recent photo of the Million Dollar Theater.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 13, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Here is a July 1959 ad from the LA Times:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 11, 2007 at 4:38 pm

The final cut of Blade Runner is currently playing at the new Landmark theater in West Los Angeles.

William
William on October 11, 2007 at 4:11 pm

You can find the answer to your question on the crowds at the Ziegfeld, on the Ziegfeld’s page.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 11, 2007 at 1:20 pm

How big was the crowd at the Ziegfield for that?

efriedmann
efriedmann on October 11, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Those who have seen BLADE RUNNER will know that Million Dollar is seen very clearly the film, as is the Bradbury building. I just recently saw the film again on the big screen at the Zeigfeld Theatre in New York City during a limited engagement.

CINECITO
CINECITO on September 11, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Hello, I would like to contact people that performed or attended the MD for a documentary film project. email:

kencmcintyre