Million Dollar Theatre

307 South Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90013

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on November 2, 2007 at 1:34 am

Well, it would make sense – Grauman sold off his interest in his Egyptian and Chinese Theatres in 1929………

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 1, 2007 at 9:07 am

Here is a June 1929 ad. Perhaps Lazarus bought the theater from Sid Grauman?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 30, 2007 at 8:49 am

Here is a May 1919 ad from the LA Times. Director Ince was later shot to death on Charlie Chaplin’s yacht, supposedly by William Hearst:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 22, 2007 at 7:22 pm

You can infer from the September 8 post by Mr. Alberto, as well as the Myspace presentation, that the MD will be showing Latin films only. That’s fine with me, as long as the theater is up and running. I missed out in 1997, which is the last time they ran first run films at the MD. I won’t miss out this time.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 13, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Here is a July 1959 ad from the LA Times:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 11, 2007 at 4:38 pm

The final cut of Blade Runner is currently playing at the new Landmark theater in West Los Angeles.

William
William on October 11, 2007 at 4:11 pm

You can find the answer to your question on the crowds at the Ziegfeld, on the Ziegfeld’s page.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 11, 2007 at 1:20 pm

How big was the crowd at the Ziegfield for that?

efriedmann
efriedmann on October 11, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Those who have seen BLADE RUNNER will know that Million Dollar is seen very clearly the film, as is the Bradbury building. I just recently saw the film again on the big screen at the Zeigfeld Theatre in New York City during a limited engagement.

CINECITO
CINECITO on September 11, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Hello, I would like to contact people that performed or attended the MD for a documentary film project. email:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 8, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Here is a 1950 ad from the LA Times:

RATV2007
RATV2007 on September 8, 2007 at 12:09 pm

The Million Dollar will be operating very soon…
We will present award winning film movies, International artists, Latin Music, pop, rock bands our own Million Dollar Ballet and orchestra…We will mantein the high standard of quality some future events includes the Official Latin Venue for the Oscar night* on February 24 2008.

We invite the fans of The Million Dollar to check a preview web page on http://www.myspace.com/elmilliondollar

For TICKETS and season pass email

Regards

Raul Alberto

President

Latin Market

for “El Million Dollar”

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on September 7, 2007 at 1:05 am

I got inside again today!! I had a group of tourists from Ireland and just as I was giving my “the oldest movie palace still standing” spiel, the gates of the theatre opened and we were able to go inside. The lobby is still undergoing renovations – still laying new tile and the ceiling still needs a few touch ups, but the auditorium appears to be finished for the time being. The main floor has new carpet and the lighting is perfect to accentuate the newly painted walls. They’ve also hung red drapes on the side walls of the auditorium to add a new layer to the space without spending a boatload of cash. All traces of that dammed church have been wiped clean of the interior, and the theatre is ready for a new phase in it’s history. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with how this renovation job has come off. I know several people were a bit apprehensive with the news that the theatre was going to have major work done, but I feel that the management has a good clear vision, and all is well.

LawMann
LawMann on August 29, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Greg thanks for the update as a good many of us are waiting for this historic theatre to re-open.

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on August 11, 2007 at 2:02 am

I talked my way into the theatre again this week by approaching Robert Voskanian, the theatres manager who was standing beneath the marque. He was very eager to walk me around the theatre auditorium and it looked fantastic – the best I’ve ever seen it. The ceiling still has the same water damage as it’s always had, but that kind of work costs millions to repair. The thing that I was most interested in was the lobby dome. Voskanian said that when they had started the project that one of their plans was to restore the original lobby dome from 1918. He said that they brought in several different specialists to survey the area, but that they all said that it would cost too much to be done at this time. I have a feeling that down the road when the theatre has had the opportunity to generate some income, that the smaller details such as that will be dealth with. I’m just glad to see the theatre alive with activity and the smell of fresh paint rather then of must and dust.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2007 at 1:38 pm

This is the back of the building in July 2007:

cynbel02
cynbel02 on July 24, 2007 at 1:03 am

Urgent…Please help! My father, Alfredo Mendoza was a Mexican entertainer and performed there with his late aunt famous Mexican singer Amalia Mendoza sometime in the 1960’s or 70’s. Can anyone please tell me where or how I can find photo or film archives on performances held at the Million Dollar Theatre. I am researching my fathers career and could use your assistance. Please contact me at Thanks

Carolina

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 13, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Looks like my link is still holding up, three days later. That’s encouraging.

Here is a small ad in the LA Times dated 5/6/39. Thankfully times have changed for the better:

MILLION $ 2ND BIG WEEK
Premiere of Stage and Screen
“Blackberries of 1940"
40 Sizzling Brown Skin Beauties

plus 2 First Run Features

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 10, 2007 at 10:08 pm

Here is a photo from the Library of Congress:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 26, 2007 at 3:18 pm

It is a great building. Rent DOA (the original) or Blade Runner for a look at the inside, or just go there if you’re in LA. Sometimes they charge to get in and walk around, sometimes they don’t. It depends on the current administration.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 26, 2007 at 8:35 am

Just so visitors to this site know, the Bradbury, though not a theater, is a wonderful historic building that can be visited:

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on June 26, 2007 at 8:15 am

I’m sorry…. I work in the Bradbury, and was able to get into the Million Dollar Theatre – ugh, I’m having a senior moment and I’m only 26!